GottaDEAL 2020 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

French lawmakers hope to ban Black Friday citing its environmental impact

Black Friday sales contribute to waste and overconsumption, a group of French lawmakers have said, arguing that the annual retail extravaganza should be banned.

The U.S. tradition of shopping the day after the Thanksgiving holiday has become one of the most important dates for retailers in countries all over the world. Brands try to attract customers with what’s described as more attractive pricing.

However, some French lawmakers have voiced their opposition against Black Friday due to the environmental impacts, as well as its focus on large online retailers at the expense of smaller businesses.

Elisabeth Borne, France’s minister for environmental transition, told a French radio station Thursday that she is conscious that it’s important for many French citizens take advantage of promotions and that she’s delighted if Black Friday helps small businesses. “But the truth is that it is first and foremost an enormous commercial operation by big online retailers,” she said according to CNBC translation.

Borne also criticized Black Friday for creating “traffic jams, pollution, and gas emissions,” according to news agency AFP.

I'm having trouble reconciling the two problems -- traffic jams, pollution, and gas emissions and the focus being on large online retailers.  It would seem to me that ordering online would help with traffic jams, pollution, and gas emissions.

Merry Christmas Surrender Monkeys!

And in the blink of an eye Christmas is over. What a whirlwind of a holiday season it’s been this year. Nevertheless I look forward to doing it all over again next year, but first I’m going to take a few days off from thinking about presents, shopping, cooking or cleaning, I think I’ve earned it [emoji12]

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

• Like 4

French lawmakers hope to ban Black Friday citing its environmental impact

I'm having trouble reconciling the two problems -- traffic jams, pollution, and gas emissions and the focus being on large online retailers. It would seem to me that ordering online would help with traffic jams, pollution, and gas emissions.

Merry Christmas Surrender Monkeys!

France is always giving up. :)

I hope everyone had a wonderful and Merry Christmas. Ours was wonderful, daughter loved her presents, spent time with family and ate great food the last two days.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all and to all a good night.

• Like 1