GottaDEAL 2019 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

I have only ever shopped with another person one time.  You are going to love going solo.

Usually its me and my hubby plus a few other family/friends and we always had a good time. We did a divide and conquer to get thought the stores faster. Other family and friends either have to work or will be out of town and hubby doesn't know if he has to work BF this year yet. I will be prepared either way :lolrun:

Edited by berry1014

Just found out last night that for the 1st time ever I may going shopping on BF alone. This should be interesting LOL

I kind of like the solo approach now as well. I can get in, out and on to the next store much quicker. It can get lonely at times especially in long lines but once the doors open it is all on you. 

It can get lonely at times especially in long lines but once the doors open it is all on you. 

I have never had a problem bonding with the people in line around me.  When I used to do Staples first every year, I actually remembered people from the previous years.  It was kind of cool.  Some of them worked where I work and we reminisce from time to time.  No one waits in lines anymore.

• Like 1

I have never had a problem bonding with the people in line around me.  When I used to do Staples first every year, I actually remembered people from the previous years.  It was kind of cool.  Some of them worked where I work and we reminisce from time to time.  No one waits in lines anymore.

Ya, back in "the day" one of the best parts of BF was hanging out with the people in line with you at 3:00 in the morning. :)

• Like 1

So earlier this month my husband broke it to me that he’s been dreaming of retiring early (so 11 years from now instead of 21 years as we had originally hoped/planned), sell the house and buy an RV and travel North America for 10-15 years. It came as a bit of a shock but after a lot of thought, many discussions, a ton of research and then doing some RV shopping so I could get a better feel for what he envisioned, I’m actually seriously considering this crazy idea. Nothing is written in stone (a lot could happen in 11 years that would impact this Dream of his) but it’s been a very interesting and enlightening journey down this rabbit hole so far.
  • Like 7

So earlier this month my husband broke it to me that he’s been dreaming of retiring early (so 11 years from now instead of 21 years as we had originally hoped/planned), sell the house and buy an RV and travel North America for 10-15 years. It came as a bit of a shock but after a lot of thought, many discussions, a ton of research and then doing some RV shopping so I could get a better feel for what he envisioned, I’m actually seriously considering this crazy idea. Nothing is written in stone (a lot could happen in 11 years that would impact this Dream of his) but it’s been a very interesting and enlightening journey down this rabbit hole so far.

That sounds good. I am so far from retirement, but I am dreaming. 

I think we had a TV die on us.  It has no power where it is located, but other items do have power.  I'll move it and double check, but I may be looking at TVs this year.

I always look at the TVs on BF because they have some really awesome deals but, just like the Kohl's throws, I have to keep telling my self I don't need them!

• Like 3

I always look at the TVs on BF because they have some really awesome deals but, just like the Kohl's throws, I have to keep telling my self I don't need them!

I do too, but I usually can't justify one.  Unless I put one on a kitchen cabinet or above my washing machine, I'm out of places!

• Like 3

The way things are going I will get to retire about 4-5 years after I'm gone.

Yeah, I’m not sure where my husband came up with his retirement figures/projections but I’m doubtful that they are based on reality. I fully anticipate that at his goal age we would both need to keep working so I’ve been looking into jobs that can be done remotely. That way we could still enjoy the RV/travel dream without emptying out our bank accounts.

At this point I’m just trying to be open to the idea and to make lifestyle changes that might help make it happen. I’ve started to tackle a little decluttering here and there. My spending has certainly decreased now that I realize just how much downsizing I’m going to have to do. I keep thinking, why bother wasting the money on a purchase if I’m just going to have to get rid of it a decade from now[emoji23] it definitely makes for more deliberate and thought out purchases. It’s a big mental shift that’s for sure.

Yeah, I’m not sure where my husband came up with his retirement figures/projections but I’m doubtful that they are based on reality. I fully anticipate that at his goal age we would both need to keep working so I’ve been looking into jobs that can be done remotely. That way we could still enjoy the RV/travel dream without emptying out our bank accounts.

At this point I’m just trying to be open to the idea and to make lifestyle changes that might help make it happen. I’ve started to tackle a little decluttering here and there. My spending has certainly decreased now that I realize just how much downsizing I’m going to have to do. I keep thinking, why bother wasting the money on a purchase if I’m just going to have to get rid of it a decade from now[emoji23] it definitely makes for more deliberate and thought out purchases. It’s a big mental shift that’s for sure.

You should be sure where the figures come from.  One day you may have to manage the plan.  You might be surprised.  My father has been dead for 22 years.  My mother has not worked a day and has more money than she did the day he died.  They were a middle class couple with six kids.

Maybe you could spend your golden years camping?  Workampering offers free camping plus pay.  I've talked to a few of these people.  They summer in the north and migrate with the birds.

The most important thing is to minimize expenses -- pay off your mortgage, credit cards, etc.  Understand the cost of your lifestyle -- track expenses carefully.  Calculate your income -- social security, pension, plus income from savings.  Estimate your life expectancy.  Adjust your lifestyle to address any gaps -- no need to wait for retirement to do this.  Address the gap by doing something you really like to do so it does not seem like work -- maybe work at a local retailer with employee discounts on stuff you use.

Tracking expenses is a lot easier if you pay for everything with a credit card.  As a bonus, you can get a cash back card which will provide fraud, price, and extended warranty protection.  As you track expenses, some opportunities will be obvious.  We fired the cable company ten years ago.  There are lots of discounted cell phone plans.  Once you stop commuting, cars last forever.  Registration and insurance costs drop every year.

You should be sure where the figures come from. One day you may have to manage the plan. You might be surprised. My father has been dead for 22 years. My mother has not worked a day and has more money than she did the day he died. They were a middle class couple with six kids.

Maybe you could spend your golden years camping? Workampering offers free camping plus pay. I've talked to a few of these people. They summer in the north and migrate with the birds.

The most important thing is to minimize expenses -- pay off your mortgage, credit cards, etc. Understand the cost of your lifestyle -- track expenses carefully. Calculate your income -- social security, pension, plus income from savings. Estimate your life expectancy. Adjust your lifestyle to address any gaps -- no need to wait for retirement to do this. Address the gap by doing something you really like to do so it does not seem like work -- maybe work at a local retailer with employee discounts on stuff you use.

Tracking expenses is a lot easier if you pay for everything with a credit card. As a bonus, you can get a cash back card which will provide fraud, price, and extended warranty protection. As you track expenses, some opportunities will be obvious. We fired the cable company ten years ago. There are lots of discounted cell phone plans. Once you stop commuting, cars last forever. Registration and insurance costs drop every year.

Thank you Len for the well thought out and solid advice. Fortunately the cost of living in my area is pretty reasonable and I grew up with rather thrifty parents and they passed that on to me. We are working on our mortgage and car loan. Almost all of our purchases are made on a credit card which offers 2% or more on all purchases and try to not carry a balance from month to month. We track our purchases fairly religiously and have definitely cut back on expenses over the years (cut cable and switched to an inexpensive streaming service, canceled most subscription services and reduced cell phone plans etc) and stick to a budget.

I think the part that I feel uncertain about is projecting income from savings and the impact that retiring early can have on social security etc. I also just don’t fully understand how to calculate the amount needed to retire. As much as I love my husband and know that he is intelligent, I have told him I would feel better if we consulted a financial advisor/retirement advisor/expert who can walk me through everything so that I can work up figures as things change going forward. I like to understand how my decisions now could impact the numbers going forward. Plus a second opinion on where we stand financially from an unbiased/uninvolved third party can’t hurt. We plan to set up a meeting with someone by February at the latest.

I will definitely check out the workamping website, I didn’t know anything like that existed! I keep learning something new about this RV/camping lifestyle every day.

Edited by budgetsRsexy

I think the part that I feel uncertain about is projecting income from savings and the impact that retiring early can have on social security etc. I also just don’t fully understand how to calculate the amount needed to retire. As much as I love my husband and know that he is intelligent, I have told him I would feel better if we consulted a financial advisor/retirement advisor/expert who can walk me through everything so that I can work up figures as things change going forward. I like to understand how my decisions now could impact the numbers going forward. Plus a second opinion on where we stand financially from an unbiased/uninvolved third party can’t hurt. We plan to set up a meeting with someone by February at the latest.

Fidelity will help you make a plan even if you have not invested with them.  For me, the most difficult things to estimate are how long I will live and how much healthcare will cost.  My company has a tool to estimate my pension, the Social Security Administration will help you estimate your Social Security pension.  Good luck!

We have downsized a lot and will be doing more. We want a travel trailer or RV soon. Both of us love to travel and I may be able to use it for work also (started a new business) which would be a bonus for taxes. :)

I told my parents many years ago enjoy their money while they were alive. I work hard and will make my own. Sometimes in life we all just need to take a step back and realize we can't take stuff with us and our stuff will go away over time but the memories we make are forever.

• Like 1

Re: weather- It was fall like for a couple days but we'll be back to upper 80's with med-high humidity starting tomorrow. The weather man is saying the first two weeks of October are trending the same. I'm ready to break out the jeans, boots, and comfy cardigans already!
  • Like 1