GottaDEAL 2019 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

106 degree heat factor today... DREAMING of winter weather!!!

Get one of the just introduced Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Nitro Cold Brews. A cold drink with fall flavors, and a pumpkin spice scone or muffin. Sit in the air conditioning, and allow the imagined autumnal bliss to sooth you for a short time.

• Like 3

106 degree heat factor today... DREAMING of winter weather!!!

Please NOOO!!!. It'll be here soon enough. Here in Ohio it can be LONG,COLD,SNOWY and ICY.  Let me enjoy the reprieve while I can....Pretty please with sugar on top.

• Like 2

Stopped into my local Staples this weekend.  I approached the manager to discuss the changes to the Rewards program.  He was completely unaware of the changes.  BUT, he assured me that he could make online orders on my behalf if they did not stock an item and apply my rewards to the sale.  Crappy company with great employees.

I have had an amazing relationship with Staples for more than 30 years.  They probably do not feel the same way.  Between ink recycling, Discover Cash Back gift cards, and all of their Free-After-Rewards events, I have accumulated more stationary products than I care to remember.  Almost all of my printers have come from Staples.  Most years, Staples was my first stop on Black Friday.  In fact, I got to know a lot of people very well waiting in line outside Staples on Black Friday.

Sitting here in my nest, I am staring at a pair of monitors that came from Staples, using a PC I bought at Staples, and printing to two printers purchased at Staples.  That PC is tethered to 30t of disks -- all from Staples.  When my youngest moves on to campus in two weeks, we will unbox a new HP all-in-one from Staples.  He will take a box of Staples paper and ink accumulated keeping my Staples rewards rolling in.

But the various deals I have enjoyed as a Staples Rewards Member are fading away.  Instead of getting $50 for $25 in Discover Cash Back, we get $30 for $25.  Gift cards are limited to five per purchase.  Coupons and events are all but gone and the exemptions in the fine print hurt my eyes.  No more price matching.  The stores only carry a small selection of the items on the web site.  The web site is awful.  

I am getting ready to upgrade the desktop in my nest.  I found the following parts...

The board has six SATA ports and tw m2 slots.  It comes with Optane which is just a small ssd for OS files.  That leaves one sata port for an optical drive and five more for data.

I have $230 in Staples Rewards and gift cards (via Discover Cashback), so my OOP for the CPU will be $21 ($13.50 after 3% cash back).  Board and memory will cost me $195 ($185 after 5% cash back).  <$200 for a fairly spectacular upgrade to a six year old CPU, more and faster memory, and more efficient computer.

Of course, I looked for the system board and memory on Staples.com (stores carry none of these parts).  The memory was significantly more expensive and the system board was a lesser model for the same money.  CPU was a good deal, but Staples no longer accepts Rewards online and the stores do not stock CPUs.

BTW, I had to chat with a CSR to find out that Rewards are only accepted in store.  Their pathetic web site simply told me the coupon did not exist.

Tomorrow, I will stop at my local Staples to see if they have one of these in stock...

So I can burn some Rewards and gift cards.  I will get my CPU at Newegg or Amazon.  I will stop redeeming my Discover Cash Back for Staples gift cards.  I will have one less reason to get up early on Black Friday.

• Like 1

So, as always, the first day of school came and went with barely a hitch. My anxiety always gets me too worked up and I just can't seem to calm it. Thank you everyone for the thoughts and prayers for me to get through the first couple days. It really did help.

As far as the cooler weather, I'm definitely NOT ready for that! For some reason when I'm hot, I can cool off faster than I can warm up when I'm cold. Does that make sense? When I get cold, I get cold to the bone and it takes me forever to warm up.

• Like 4

Well, the holiday weekend is upon us and I'm getting absolutely no holiday at all.  I was volun-told to work tomorrow and already work Sunday and Monday.  Yay me.  :(

As a result I'll be missing the season opener of my beloved football team tomorrow and Coco Gauff's next singles match at the US Open.  

• Like 1

Well, the holiday weekend is upon us and I'm getting absolutely no holiday at all.  I was volun-told to work tomorrow and already work Sunday and Monday.  Yay me.  :(

As a result I'll be missing the season opener of my beloved football team tomorrow and Coco Gauff's next singles match at the US Open.  

Yes, I will be extremely busy too. Who schd a volleyball tournament on the holiday weekend with the championship match on Labor day......I just might tailgate at the event and sale plates. I am looking forward to watching Miss Gauff as well, even though it might be on my phone

Woo hoo here I am! This is my first rodeo with this app.

Welcome! As this is your first rodeo here I would advise you hold on tight, let your inner bargain shopper take the reigns, and feel free to let the YIIPPEE fly as needed. We promise not to judge, but we will beg and plead for deal details along with shamelessly begging BRAD(runs site) for more contests,prizes and ALL THE ADS NOW. And yes we are all a little shall I say unique.

• Like 1

This is totally be off topic..buut..does any one else have a someone in their circle that watches Christmas movies year round?. Currently DH is watching "Christmas With the Kranks" on demand... and he has the nerve to pick on my Hallmark Xmas movies...LOL

• Like 3

Wow.  Tomorrow is September.  I'm ready for the ads!

DW is wanting a refrigerator.  We are looking at the LG 30 cu. ft with 2 drawers.  We want it in black stainless.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-30-cu-ft-4-Door-French-Door-Smart-Refrigerator-with-InstaView-Door-in-Door-and-Wi-Fi-Enabled-in-Black-Stainless-Steel-LMXS30796D/300036851

Costco has the same model for $2899

Think we will get it cheaper on Black Friday?

This is totally be off topic..buut..does any one else have a someone in their circle that watches Christmas movies year round?. Currently DH is watching "Christmas With the Kranks" on demand... and he has the nerve to pick on my Hallmark Xmas movies...LOL

I am one of those people... but I think I was born with the sickness as my mom says I listened to Christmas music on my little record player year round and drove the neighbors crazy. ;)

• Like 2

I am one of those people... but I think I was born with the sickness as my mom says I listened to Christmas music on my little record player year round and drove the neighbors crazy. ;)

No judgement from this house...just wanted to make sure we weren't UNICORNS...hehe

• Like 1

I’m one of them. We watched Christmas with the Kranks not too long ago and I watch others throughout the year.
  • Like 1

I’M GOING TO BE AN AUNT!!!! My sister just told me. Its still very early (8 weeks in) and she doesn’t want anyone outside of immediate family to know but I can’t keep it to myself, I’m so excited! Fortunately this is more anonymous than places like Facebook and none of my family is on the forums. Thank god for IVF/modern medicine/science. I just can’t believe it. This is the first baby in my family and likely to be the only one. I just want to yell from the rooftops [emoji16]
  • Like 10

I’M GOING TO BE AN AUNT!!!! My sister just told me. Its still very early (8 weeks in) and she doesn’t want anyone outside of immediate family to know but I can’t keep it to myself, I’m so excited! Fortunately this is more anonymous than places like Facebook and none of my family is on the forums. Thank god for IVF/modern medicine/science. I just can’t believe it. This is the first baby in my family and likely to be the only one. I just want to yell from the rooftops [emoji16]

Congrats, Auntie! That is AWESOME! :) (I promise not to tell anyone.) ;)

Congratulations

Hello September!!

Not ready to make my 'official' September post, but I did want to share a new recipe.  No air fryer this time.  This is a flat out unhealthy recommendation that you eat food fried in oil.  

We only break out the deep fryer about once every two months.  When we do, I fry all day.  Actually, for a couple days, usually.  This week, I fried chicken Thursday and everything else Saturday.  It started with deep fried potatoes and banana fritters with breakfast.  Then I made potato chips.  For dinner, we had onion rings, fried scallops, and fried shrimp -- with a salad to ease the conscience.  I just deep fried some sliced ham (yes, I sliced it myself) and another batch of potato chips.

Here is the recipe I used to batter the shrimp, scallops, onions, and ham...

Fried Clams, New England Style
Ingredients
  • 1 pound shucked clams cherrystones, littlenecks, or Western littlenecks or Manila clams
  • 1 cup corn flour, as in "fish fry" mix
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1 cup buttermilk or evaporated milk
  • oil for frying
Instructions
  1. Pick through the clams to make sure there are no bits of shell or obvious grit.
  2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
  3. Submerge the clams in buttermilk.
  4. Preheat the oven to 200ºF and put a rack set over a baking sheet inside the oven. Heat enough oil to float the clams, about a quart or so. What oil? Anything you feel like, but I prefer peanut oil or, well... fresh lard. You want the oil hot, about 360ºF.
  5. When the oil is almost ready, coat a few clams in the breading. Don't do more than your fryer can handle in one batch, as you want the clams to go right from breading into the fryer. If you want super-extra crispy clams, dip the breaded clams back in the buttermilk and again in the breading; I think this is too much, but some people like them that way.Fry the clams until they are golden brown, about 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Move them to the rack in the oven and repeat with the remaining clams -- make sure the oil gets back up to temperature between batches. Serve with homemade tartar sauce, malt vinegar, remoulade, ketchup or hot sauce.

BTW, I have been copying my recipes to a free blog so that I can look at them using Alexa on my Echo Show.  It's a work in progress,  but here is the link...

https://lencancook.food.blog/

• Like 1

It's September?!?!?!  Crazy.  For me, this is "canning weekend."  I canned a boatload of sweet corn and 10 pints of salsa yesterday.  Today will be more corn and spaghetti sauce.  Thank heavens the weather has been cool this year.  

Happy September, everyone!  Who wants to wager the first Christmas display at Walmart will be out by mid-September? lol.

• Like 2