GottaDEAL 2019 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

For those following, it may be time for an update.

The last surgical drain (from the reconstruction on January 14th) finally came out on Thursday. Initially, there was still fluid when it came out, but after a couple of saturated bandages, a clean bandage was put on Thursday night and it remained clean and dry through last night. I'm told the area of the drain appears to be healing well.

I'm still in recovery mode from the upper GI bleed in late January. Other than acidic foods, such as orange juice (which I don't consume due to doing keto) and the apple cider vinegar beverage I do drink to boost my metabolism, I haven't really felt limited on what I can eat. Taking omeprozol twice a day, an hour before I eat, is a PITA, but hopefully that will be rescinded soon.

I'm scheduled for a follow up EGD scope later in the month, to verify no new or further bleeding is happening. I'll ask then if I can resume a normal (for me) diet, including the acv beverage.

Otherwise, I have been cleared of all limitations, huzzah!

I do have what my surgeon is calling "clean up surgery" at the end of April. This will address issues like the excessive back fat left from the bilateral mastectomy, and clean up the abdomin and flank area. It's apparently similar to the "I did it for me" liposuction reconstructive surgery advertised on tv. It will be done on an out patient basis, and is only a couple of hours, rather than a 10 - 12 hour procedure in patient, followed by an ICU stay.

I did ask if my bat wings could be addressed, as long as we were doing clean up "sculpting." But unfortunately, that wouldn't be covered under my diagnosis...

After that, further healing for two years and then hopefully I can start applying for the decorative tatoos via P.INK!

Again, thank you all for your prayers, good thoughts, and support. It has been sincerely appreciated!

• Like 6

Yesterday it got up to high 70s.  I took my daughter fossil hunting!  There is a site roughly an hour away from our house where you can collect for free.  There were many fossils easily found laying on top of the ground.  We did do some digging and found a few nice ones, though. 

We mostly found crinoid stems and a few thin shells.  Not very exciting, but that is typically what you find at that location.  Great way to get outside with the kids, though.

• Like 3

For those following, it may be time for an update.

The last surgical drain (from the reconstruction on January 14th) finally came out on Thursday. Initially, there was still fluid when it came out, but after a couple of saturated bandages, a clean bandage was put on Thursday night and it remained clean and dry through last night. I'm told the area of the drain appears to be healing well.

I'm still in recovery mode from the upper GI bleed in late January. Other than acidic foods, such as orange juice (which I don't consume due to doing keto) and the apple cider vinegar beverage I do drink to boost my metabolism, I haven't really felt limited on what I can eat. Taking omeprozol twice a day, an hour before I eat, is a PITA, but hopefully that will be rescinded soon.

I'm scheduled for a follow up EGD scope later in the month, to verify no new or further bleeding is happening. I'll ask then if I can resume a normal (for me) diet, including the acv beverage.

Otherwise, I have been cleared of all limitations, huzzah!

I do have what my surgeon is calling "clean up surgery" at the end of April. This will address issues like the excessive back fat left from the bilateral mastectomy, and clean up the abdomin and flank area. It's apparently similar to the "I did it for me" liposuction reconstructive surgery advertised on tv. It will be done on an out patient basis, and is only a couple of hours, rather than a 10 - 12 hour procedure in patient, followed by an ICU stay.

I did ask if my bat wings could be addressed, as long as we were doing clean up "sculpting." But unfortunately, that wouldn't be covered under my diagnosis...

After that, further healing for two years and then hopefully I can start applying for the decorative tatoos via P.INK!

Again, thank you all for your prayers, good thoughts, and support. It has been sincerely appreciated!

First, congratulations!  I'm exhausted just following along.  I can't imagine what it has been like for you and your family.

the apple cider vinegar beverage I do drink to boost my metabolism

I need to know a little about this.  My 80 year old mother drinks vinegar beverages.  She can't remember who told her about the concoction and why she ought to be drinking it, but she's pretty religious about it.  Can you explain to me why this is a good thing and how you learned about it?  Also, how exactly do you prepare the beverage and is it not really unpalatable?  

I need to know a little about this.  My 80 year old mother drinks vinegar beverages.  She can't remember who told her about the concoction and why she ought to be drinking it, but she's pretty religious about it.  Can you explain to me why this is a good thing and how you learned about it?  Also, how exactly do you prepare the beverage and is it not really unpalatable?

I learned about apple cider vinegar beverage while I was researching the keto woe. One of the books recommended to me was The Obesity Code by Jason Fung, MD. Dr. Fung talks about vinegar in the book. I believe he also has YouTube videos, although I have not watched them. I read the book via the library, so I no longer have a copy handy to cite page numbers for you.

However, a quick search produced this article, which gives a quick summary. Hopefully it is enough to get you started.

https://medium.com/@nathancheng/mind-blown-this-secret-will-eliminate-obesity-from-modern-society-ba451eeb7547

I am also a type 2 diabetic, so the effect on insulin resistance is also a benefit for me. There may be other benefits to vinegar which prompted your mother to start taking it. But this is what prompted me.

As far as making it "palatable," I don't think that ever happens. My daddy did teach me as a kid to enjoy pickle juice and sauerkraut juice; that may have helped me tolerate the 2 teaspoons of vinegar in the 8 oz. of water I manage. I have heard others do 2 tablespoons in 24 oz. of water once a day. That I could not do. The 2 teaspoons in 8 oz. of water three times a day is much easier for me.

• Like 2

I learned about apple cider vinegar beverage while I was researching the keto woe. One of the books recommended to me was The Obesity Code by Jason Fung, MD. Dr. Fung talks about vinegar in the book. I believe he also has YouTube videos, although I have not watched them. I read the book via the library, so I no longer have a copy handy to cite page numbers for you.

However, a quick search produced this article, which gives a quick summary. Hopefully it is enough to get you started.

https://medium.com/@nathancheng/mind-blown-this-secret-will-eliminate-obesity-from-modern-society-ba451eeb7547

I am also a type 2 diabetic, so the effect on insulin resistance is also a benefit for me. There may be other benefits to vinegar which prompted your mother to start taking it. But this is what prompted me.

As far as making it "palatable," I don't think that ever happens. My daddy did teach me as a kid to enjoy pickle juice and sauerkraut juice; that may have helped me tolerate the 2 teaspoons of vinegar in the 8 oz. of water I manage. I have heard others do 2 tablespoons in 24 oz. of water once a day. That I could not do. The 2 teaspoons in 8 oz. of water three times a day is much easier for me.

I drink it daily and the benefits are WONDERFUL!

I use 8oz. of warm water

1 Tablespoon of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar WITH Mother (very important)

1 Tablespoon of Local Honey

1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice

I Love It!

• Like 1

I honestly can’t remember if I checked in for March yet. I received a call on the 27th that my mom had a mini stroke and that my dad wasn’t expected to live much longer. I found a flight home for the next day. My dad passed away on the 2nd. Luckily my mom is doing as well as can be expected. She still has some numbness and tingling in her right hand.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. No matter how old we get, we are never prepared. Prayers for peace and comfort to you and continued recovery for your mom.

I have mastered fried chicken in the air fryer.  

chicken parts (we like drum sticks, four for the two of us)

buttermilk (enough to cover chicken parts)

all-purpose flour (about a cup)

1 tablespoons salt

1 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 teaspoons garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

cayenne pepper to taste (about a tablespoon for us)

mix the dry ingredients in a shallow dish.  soak the chicken parts in buttermilk for an hour or two.  roll the chicken parts in the dry mix until completely covered.  preheat the air fryer to 400.  coat the grate. spray oil on the chicken parts.  cook ten minutes, flip, and cook seven more minutes.

• Like 6

Signing in for March, in case I haven’t already.

To those that recently lost a loved one, my prayers go out to you. This year didn’t start out very well for us either. After a nice vacation to Florida, the day we were driving back to Texas, we found out my MIL passed away. We have to make the 15 hr drive back home as were we traveling with other family, only to turn around the next day to make the trip to Pennsylvania. We did find some peace in the fact she died in her sleep so she didn’t suffer much. Nonetheless it was still painful.

• Like 2

1 tablespoons salt

1 teaspoon onion powder

mix the dry ingredients in a shallow dish. soak the chicken parts in buttermilk for an hour or two. roll the chicken parts in the dry mix until completely covered. preheat the air fryer to 400. coat the grate. spray oil on the chicken parts. cook ten minutes, flip, and cook seven more minutes.

thank you for passing this on. I’m so gonna try this!

1 tablespoons salt

1 teaspoon onion powder

mix the dry ingredients in a shallow dish.  soak the chicken parts in buttermilk for an hour or two.  roll the chicken parts in the dry mix until completely covered.  preheat the air fryer to 400.  coat the grate. spray oil on the chicken parts.  cook ten minutes, flip, and cook seven more minutes.

Will give it a try 

Does anyone know if the pill form of apple cider vinegar is as beneficial as the drink?

One of my daughters has started taking it and I really want to try it ..... the Good Lord knows I need to. I just can't get passed the liquid.

It's only a 6-quart, but has no basket. There are slots on the side to slide in the racks. It also functions as a dehydrator, and a rotisserie. However, the biggest chicken it can handle on the rotisserie is 4 lbs. I was hoping to replace my Showtime with it, but I tend to like to do 7 lb. birds.

Power Air Fryer does have a Power Air Fryer Elite, which I believe comes with both racks and a basket. But that is not what I got.

I love my showtime! I had everyone pitch in on it for me for Christmas like 20 years ago and it still works. I can cook up to like a 12-14 pound bird.  

I honestly can’t remember if I checked in for March yet. I received a call on the 27th that my mom had a mini stroke and that my dad wasn’t expected to live much longer. I found a flight home for the next day. My dad passed away on the 2nd. Luckily my mom is doing as well as can be expected. She still has some numbness and tingling in her right hand.

So sorry.  Praying for you and your family.

Hope everyone remembered to

20190310065439x250x141.jpg

I remembered when I woke up late for church....and then Monday when my coffee did not start on time!!! UGH

I love springing forward but it always seems like these first few days kick my butt lol

I personally like to fall back and get an extra hour sleep :)

• Like 3

Well, here's my March update. Fasten your seatbelts for this ride...

Things going normally last month until one night late February. I was getting up in the middle of the night to get a drink when I suddenly blacked out. Not sure how long I was out, but I remember waking up and looking up at the ceiling like I was still in bed. Rested a bit until I tried to move, that's when the pain hit and I realized I was on the floor, not in bed, and something bad just happened. Managed to grab my cellphone nearby and say ‘I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!’ I just love that line! Spent the rest of the night/day in E.R. where they told me that I just broke two of my already fragile lumbar vertebrae. Basically, I had a seizure in the middle of getting up and I just completely broke my back in half.

Went through emergency back surgery the next day where they installed a plate and some rods. Then had a rough beginning to my recovery where I spent another week in the hospital before they could release me to a rehab center. Spent March in a rehab hospital until last Thursday when they finally paroled me to my own bed. Now I’ve got an 8-inch scar up my back which limits my whole mobility while they do in home therapy and home care with me. My sister is able to come to my home every other day or so to help out around the apartment and with my daily needs, but we live so far apart from each other (She’s in east Mesa while I’m on the north side of Phoenix).

Just spoke with my landlord the other day and I’ll be able to get out of my lease once my doctor provides a notice that I can’t take care of myself alone anymore and I need to move closer to my family in Mesa. So here I am in late March with an extremely painful back and limited mobility where I can barely do the simple things I used to be able to do. My sister and bro-in-law are willing to help take care of me once I'm able to move into Mesa near them. I'll know a little more next week once I've got all my paperwork and have seen my neurosurgeon in his office. In the meantime it's pretty much rest, pain meds, more rest, limited exercise, and more rest.

They say march comes in like a lion. Well then... roar!

• Like 4

Well, here's my March update. Fasten your seatbelts for this ride...

Things going normally last month until one night late February. I was getting up in the middle of the night to get a drink when I suddenly blacked out. Not sure how long I was out, but I remember waking up and looking up at the ceiling like I was still in bed. Rested a bit until I tried to move, that's when the pain hit and I realized I was on the floor, not in bed, and something bad just happened. Managed to grab my cellphone nearby and say ‘I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!’ I just love that line! Spent the rest of the night/day in E.R. where they told me that I just broke two of my already fragile lumbar vertebrae. Basically, I had a seizure in the middle of getting up and I just completely broke my back in half.

Went through emergency back surgery the next day where they installed a plate and some rods. Then had a rough beginning to my recovery where I spent another week in the hospital before they could release me to a rehab center. Spent March in a rehab hospital until last Thursday when they finally paroled me to my own bed. Now I’ve got an 8-inch scar up my back which limits my whole mobility while they do in home therapy and home care with me. My sister is able to come to my home every other day or so to help out around the apartment and with my daily needs, but we live so far apart from each other (She’s in east Mesa while I’m on the north side of Phoenix).

Just spoke with my landlord the other day and I’ll be able to get out of my lease once my doctor provides a notice that I can’t take care of myself alone anymore and I need to move closer to my family in Mesa. So here I am in late March with an extremely painful back and limited mobility where I can barely do the simple things I used to be able to do. My sister and bro-in-law are willing to help take care of me once I'm able to move into Mesa near them. I'll know a little more next week once I've got all my paperwork and have seen my neurosurgeon in his office. In the meantime it's pretty much rest, pain meds, more rest, limited exercise, and more rest.

They say march comes in like a lion. Well then... roar!

Wow.  I am so incredibly sorry for what has happened to you recently!!!!!  Wishing you a change of luck and a speedy recovery!!!

the intelligent toilet is part of Kohler's smart bathroom. Speakers, moodlighting, and a bidet, but no medical analysis. The Japanese have been taking stool samples at home for two decades.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6835549/The-toilet-seat-save-millions-lives-detecting-heart-failure.html

The toilet seat that could save millions of lives: New gadget can detect early signs of heart failure by picking up blood pressure, oxygen levels and heart rate.  The gadget fits over the top of a normal toilet seat and measures heartbeat
It can also sense blood pressure and levels of oxygen in the blood.  Developers said it could save the lives of potential heart disease victims.  The technology could spot signs of heart trouble before symptoms are noticed.

Good start.  I wonder if it tracks the user.  Maybe an opportunity for Jeff Bezos' team?  "Alexa, Dad is poopin'."