We did some wings in it the other night and they came out pretty decent. Need to figure out how to get them to crisp up more though. I’m actually looking forward to trying some fries or tots in it. Quieter than the convection oven and the kitchen doesn’t heat up as much in our limited use.
Any suggestions/recipes you may have would be great.
The big thing we do in the air fryer is chicken cordon bleu. I could never make it before the air fryer and it's a huge hit now that I have one...
Parmesan Crusted Chicken Cordon Bleu
Parmesan Crusted Chicken Cordon Bleu Author: The Blue Jean Chef, Meredith Laurence Serves: 2
Here's your classic chicken cordon bleu recipe, but coated in bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese for a crispy exterior AND made easily in the air fryer. Dress it up with a simple sauce like the Brandy Mustard Cream Sauce.
From Air Fry Genius by Meredith Laurence Ingredients
- 2 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices deli-sliced ham
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Butterfly the chicken breasts. Place the chicken breast on a cutting board and press down on the breast with the palm of your hand. Slice into the long side of the chicken breast, parallel to the cutting board, but not all the way through to the other side. Open the chicken breast like a “book”. Place a piece of plastic wrap over the chicken breast and gently pound it with a meat mallet to make it evenly thick.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Spread the Dijon mustard on the inside of each chicken breast. Layer one slice of cheese on top of the mustard, then top with the 2 slices of ham and the other slice of cheese.
- Starting with the long edge of the chicken breast, roll the chicken up to the other side. Secure it shut with 1 or 2 toothpicks.
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 350ºF.
- Set up a dredging station with three shallow dishes. Place the flour in the first dish. Place the beaten egg in the second shallow dish. Combine the panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese together in the third shallow dish. Dip the stuffed and rolled chicken breasts in the flour, then the beaten egg and then roll in the breadcrumbs-cheese mixture to cover on all sides. Press the crumbs onto the chicken breasts with your hands to make sure they are well adhered. Spray the chicken breasts with olive oil and transfer to the air fryer basket.
- Air-fry at 350°F for 14 minutes, flipping the breasts over halfway through the cooking time. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before removing the toothpicks, slicing and serving.
Short skewers are easier to use and remove than toothpicks...
More sustainable too, I suppose.
Notes: I like big breasts. We also feed my dog boiled chicken and white rice. When I shop for chicken breast, I grab the biggest ones I can get my hands on, freeze them partially lying smooth side down on a cookie sheet, slice a half inch off the smooth side, and pound that to about a quarter inch. It's easy to work with and yields great chicken rolls. I use the other half of the breast for dog food. My kid does not like the mustard, so I just leave it out.
We like rotisserie chicken. Had a Ronco machine then made do with a rotisserie toaster oven. Much easier, much faster, and much better to simply cook the whole chicken in the air fryer...
Rotisserie Style Whole Chicken in the Air Fryer
With this Rotisserie Style Whole Chicken Air Fryer Method, you will enjoy a very juicy chicken with a flavorful crisp skin. Low carb and keto too!
by This Old Gal
- 1 Whole Chicken cleaned and blotted dry
- 2 Tablespoons Ghee (or Coconut or Olive Oil)
- 1 Tablespoon TOG House Seasoning
- Remove giblet packet from chicken and pat dry.
- Rub Ghee/Oil all over chicken and season generously.
- Place chicken, breast side down into Air Fryer.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Flip chicken over and cook for 350 degrees for an additional 30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Let rest for 10 minutes and then serve.
For other types of chicken, I use my favorite recipe with the cooking instructions from this recipe...
- 3 chicken thighs with skin, raw
- 3 chicken legs with skin, raw
- 1 cup buttermilk, whole
- 2 cups flour, white
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Soak the chicken in the buttermilk in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Add the seasonings to the flour with oil and mix well.
- Dip the chicken into the flour mix, then in buttermilk, and back into the flour.
- Place the chicken into the Fry Basket. Repeat until all the chicken is coated.
- Place the Fry Basket into the Air Fryer.
- Cook for 20 minutes at 360°F.
- Turn the chicken every 5 minutes.
- Serve when chicken is cooked to desired crispness.
Use this for your wings. Apply your favorite sauce AFTER cooking...
- 12 chicken wings, drumettes, raw
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- Place the wings into the Fry Basket and into the Air Fryer.
- Cook for 16 minutes at 400°F.
- Half way through the time, flip the wings.
- When done remove and toss with the sauce.
Cat fish is not [yet] great, but better than I do in a frying pan...
Air Fryer Southern Fried Catfish
- 2 pounds Catfish Fillets
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 Lemon
- 1/2 cup Yellow Mustard
Cornmeal Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 cup Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Place Catfish into a flat container and add Milk. Cut Lemon in half and squeeze about two teaspoons of juice into Milk to make Buttermilk. Place container in refrigerator and let Fillets soak for 15 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, combine Cornmeal Seasoning Ingredients.
- Remove Fillets from Buttermilk and pat dry with paper towels.
- Spread Mustard generously over both sides of Fillets.
- Dip each Fillet into Cornmeal mixture and coat well to make a thick coating.
- Place Fillets into greased Air Fryer Basket. Spray generously with oil.
- Cook at 390/400 degrees for 10 minutes. Flip over Fillets and spray with Oil and cook an additional 3-5 minutes.