Does no one use a GPS?

cinnamon16201

I am noticing a lack of actual GPS units on sale, only a couple.  Not watches, etc. but a real unit.  I guess they aren't popular anymore?  My car is a 2011 (only 36K miles) and doesn't have one onboard.  And I don't like to have to deal with my phone while driving.

I really need a new one as mine has run out of memory and I can only get eastern US maps.  Am I missing something?  So far I have only seen 3 and all Garmin, plus 2 of them only have lower 48 US states.  I was hoping for more selection.

• Like 2

I use a GPS.  I think the GPS manufacturers are putting themselves out of business.  While I can load an app on my phone which is free and continuously updated, the GPS I paid for has to be attached to a PC for updates and the companies that make them sell 'lifetime maps', but 'kill off' models in a few short years.  Not sure I will buy another.  Kohls has a Garmin on sale for $90.  If has 'Lifetime Maps' and you get $15 Kohls Cash.  You can get it shipped free from Garmin for $60 right now...

https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/75555-287937/Garmin-Drive-Series.html?cid=226265&chid=1&campaignid=137396524&adgroupid=49395376763&creative=238218961399&targetid=kwd-299434211743&matchtype=e&device=c&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpMW55PjS3gIVBITICh1DkwsBEAAYASAAEgIzXvD_BwE

if you are OK with a refurb.  You can get the model with traffic for the same price (scroll down).

Best Buy has the 51 LM for $90.

• Like 1

I use a GPS and prefer it to a phone for a few reasons.  Like yours, my TomTom still works, but has reached the end of its useful life and as of a few months ago is no longer supported by TomTom.  I am also shopping for one this year.

I think the combination of phone apps and built-in GPS has reduced the offerings, but they are still out there.  As with many products, there are many more available than are offered on Black Friday specials and you should always consider other options than just what you see in the ads.

A few stores are offering the Garmin Drive 50LM (older model) or 51LM 5" GPS.  These have "lifetime" maps, but not traffic receivers, which I highly recommend.  (Search "GPS" in the search box on the GottaDeal Black Friday site.

I am particular about having a Traffic Receiver on my GPS (so that it tries to avoid congestion) and found two good options offered starting tomorrow through Black Friday by BJ's Wholesale (in case you are a member).  These appear on page 15 of the BJ's scans here: https://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/BlackFridayScans/BJsWholesale/15 .  You won't see these on the GD lists because they are available all week, not just BF weekend.  The Garmin 51 LMT-S ($109.99) has lifetime maps and traffic and all the basic features.  The Garmin DriveSmart 51 LMT-S ($129.99) adds bluetooth connectivity and voice recognition.  I plan to upgrade to the latter.  

Edited by mcwalker

Unfortunately the stand alone GPS is dying off. Google Maps, Waze along with Apple Carplay and Android Auto are killing them. They offer constantly updated maps and real time traffic. And Google Maps is so much more accurate than Garmin and TomTom maps in my experience.

If you think about it you can get a decent new touch screen head unit for your car that has AA and ACP for not much more than a stand alone GPS.

Personally I'd love a stand alone GPS unit that uses Google Maps, real time traffic and constant updates. But with so many people using their phones and factory head units the market for stand alone units is fading.

Just like CD players in cars. They are dying off and I hate it. I have a 2017 F150 and ony top of the touch screen head unit it has a CD player. They have now killed them off in the 2019 models. The new Silverado has too. Many other auto manufacturers are doing the same.

I still use mine, but I'm looking at moving toward what Monstermile suggests.  Use the phone through a head unit with Android Auto/ Apple Car Play.  You could have one installed in your car for about $250 and you wouldn't need to worry about updating your map next year, or worry about it's memory being "full" the year afterward.

My wife still uses a Garmin GPS.  But as everyone else said, phone apps and built in car GPS are killing the GPS market.  I use my phone because I like the traffic real time updates to re-route me around trouble issues.  The dash GPS model has to be manually updated by plugging it in, doesn't have real time traffic and doesn't give you as many options to go from 1 place to another. 

I would look on Craigslist I bet there are people looking to unload their old ones for really cheap

My car has the nav system, but the entire screen has "slid down", if that makes sense, so I can barely change presets on my radio stations and using the nav is almost always out of the question (I've googled it, and this is apparently an issue in a lot of Toyotas).  I've been considering getting a new GPS unit too. We didn't have that kind of problems with gps devices.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that still uses a GPS.  My phone is OK if I'm not the one driving, but it's so much easier to have the voice tell hubby what to do and he doesn't yell at me.  The one thing I find about the phone and Google maps is that often it waits until the last minute to tell us where to turn.  We have missed turns because of this unless I am staring at the phone and watching the distance count down.  Not very efficient in my opinion, and definitely not doable for when I am driving.

I have been looking at the larger Garmin that Best Buy has because it has all of North America.  We are hoping to do some traveling in Canada and I was hoping to use it there.  My phone isn't international.  Alaska as well, although I could use the phone there.  I will have to check out some other suggestions.  If I get one with Lifetime Maps and Traffic I don't have to worry about paying for updating the maps, etc.

mcwalker….Mine is also a TomTom and isn't supported by them, so they say.  Although I have been getting map updates.  I have never used a Garmin but I assume they are relatively alike.

Edited by cinnamon16201