Black Friday Circuit City $199 Laptop AOL Rebate Deal Hell...

Ziptar

I thought it was finally over when I finally walked out of CC Black Friday with the $199 Toshiba Laptop after AO'Hell Rebate and waiting 5 hours to check out after actually getting in the store.... BUT NOOOOO!!!!!

Like everyone else I was not allowed to sign up for the BYOB Plan for $14.95 and got stuck with the $23.90 regular plan. CC said "it made their system crash"

OK, so I call AOL the next day, tell them my story... They say OK and tell me they have changed my Plan... I also give them a diffrent Debit card to bill than the one I gave CC.

All Fine and good right???

WRONG!!!!

I just happen to notice today that BOTH Debit Cards are getting billed $23.90 a month, so I go back and look and they were BOTH dinged for $23.90 each in December too..

I have spent my whole day trying to get this cleaned up. I started with online suppirt they were no help and refered me to the 800#.

I get a nice guy that figures out what is going on. Not only did the downgrade not go through but, Circuit City created two different accounts for me and they have BOTH been getting billed.

He tells me he can't fix it because if he cancels one of the accounts one of the accounts I will automatically get charged the remainder of the contract. He also can't credit me back the $47.80 I was billed for the other account. he tells me only AOL's Fraud department can fix it. He gave me the number for AOL Fraud,...

so I call AOL Fraud... as I type this I have been holding for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Hubby made an AOL account when he was deployed and it was one that was supposed to be free for a mth. So, at the end of the month he told them they were crap, which they are, and told them to turn it off. Well, they didn't and we kept getting charged. We called them after noticing this two mths after it was supposed to be off and they said okay it's off. It WASN'T though. A few mths later we were still getting charged and they said they would give us the charge back on our credit card and turn it off. Well, 5 mths later I still haven't gotten a charge back, but it is off. So, keep an eye out on your CC for the next few mths after you talk to them. Either way GL.

Well, I just got off the phone with, Fraud. They have to mail me an affidavit to sign stating that the other account is bogus. Once they get that they will refund me the money.

She would not change my plan from $23.90 to $14.95, she said that she could not do it.

She did say thet there was an investigation going on into the whole Black Friday / Circuit City / AOL Rebate deal.. She said that there was no reason the system would crash because of the plan selection. She said she had talked to others with the same problem. All she would say was that AOL was "investigating abuse of the Black Friday Promotion by certain Circuit City Stores" She said that if I wanted to get the difference between the two plans I would have to go speak with the manager of the store i signed up at and have them compensate me...

WHAT UTTER BS!!!!! Circuit City and AOL can both KISS MY A**!!!!!!! This will be the last time I purchase anything from either organization.

I am going to see the CC manager and if he won't do anything about it, I will work my way up the chain.

Would like to hear from anyone else in a similar boat... Thanks..

Hubby made an AOL account when he was deployed and it was one that was supposed to be free for a mth. So, at the end of the month he told them they were crap, which they are, and told them to turn it off. Well, they didn't and we kept getting charged. We called them after noticing this two mths after it was supposed to be off and they said okay it's off. It WASN'T though. A few mths later we were still getting charged and they said they would give us the charge back on our credit card and turn it off. Well, 5 mths later I still haven't gotten a charge back, but it is off. So, keep an eye out on your CC for the next few mths after you talk to them. Either way GL.

Went through a similar experience MANy years ago... Contact the BBB, AOL actually will respond favorably to the BBB even when they won't to you directly. Go figure.

Me and my wife were aso misled on bf with this deal. The employees at my local cc didn't even allow you to choose between the two plans. They just gave everyone the more expensive deal and stated that you can call AOL and downgrade the service. When we called AOL they stated that this was suppose to be done at purchase and tried to give us the run around. AOL eventually credited my account for 2 months and downgraded the account to the 14.95 deal. I think cc handled it wrong. They just misled the customers so they could get everyone taken care quicker. Perfect example of speed vs service. SERVICE is always better!

I personally think aol is the spawn of satan. I had there plan for less then a month several years ago. The service was just horrible. SO I call to cancel. AOL continuallytried to take money from my checking account and because that account was used solely for bills I got many overdraft charges. They would sometimes hit that account 2x in one day. Anyways it got so that I cancelled the account because AOL just wouldnt fix the problem and here is where the worst part comes in, even after I cancel the account. I no longer do business with this bank mind you after I close the account, AOL still tries to take money from the account. 3 years later I go to open a new checking account with my local credit union and guess what I can't because I owe bank fees of 450 bucks. WHAT?!?!?! Go to the bank and find out that, I love this, that because AOL tried to take the fees it automatically reopened my account. I don't even think this is legal! It has been a year, I had to pay the 450 because at the time we were going to buy a house and I figured I could fight it later. No hopes. It would cost me more in legal fees and the bank and AOL were wrong.

Anyways long story short. AOL suckx

He's right! AOL IS the spawn of Satan. I went through the whole "still charging my credit card after I canceled the sorry service" deal a few years ago. Twice! Almost a year after I had the trouble with them, I notice charges started coming from them again. After I called and got my refund/credit for the second time in two years, I told my wife that I know this is a scam that they are running. Like the guy at the bank who only takes only a few cents from everyone's account; it all adds up to illegal profit. AOL sucks and they steal!

Wow! I can't believe AOL is still doing the same old stuff. They got in major legal trouble five or six years ago for the identical billing problems you guys have described. I'd suggest finding the appropriate state/federal agency and filing complaints.

AOL was my first ISP seven or so years ago. My debit card number changed and at the time I didn't realize that I had to notify the businesses that took automatic payments. So, with no warning my AOL account was suspended. There was no notice whatsoever that the payment wouldn't go through and they refused to accept my new debit card, saying I HAD to use a credit card. This insulted the cr*p out of me and made me very very mad. When I checked out some online complaint sites and read the billing horror stories I was actually thankful that I had escaped AOL so easily.

My parents also cancelled their AOL and I will warn them to double check their credit card for continuing billing. Thanks and Im sorry that some businesses treat customers like that. You should complain to the authorities, if it happened years ago, their should be a report on the net about it.:o

That is the SOOO reason why I don't deal with rebates. NOTHING BUT TROUBLE!!!!!! Companies so love to run consumers around in circles hoping that, we as consumers, will say the "heck with it" and give up and go on leaving the company with our money that we the consumers have EVERY right to be re-imbursed to.

When they (stores) take our money, no matter what form, it doesn't take them 8-12 weeks to cash or swipe, why can't they see this. Rebates are ridiculous. They need to start this "instant rebate" program in all their stores. Maybe this way I would start shopping at those locations that do this and not have to worry about getting my money back in 8-12 wks and in the meantime worry if I did their paperwork to the exact specifications that they want or else I don't get my $$$.

Ok, enough ranting, I am getting madder as I type this---so good luck Ziptar on your situation.

AOL is extremely bad about continously charging even after the account is supposed to be closed. Sad thing is that if you agreed to the first payment they sort of have the ability to take payments out of your account from that point on. I worked for a major credit card company for years, and though it makes no sense to me, these were not considered fraudulent charges. These charges could be disputed as an incorrect recurring charge but not fraud. My theory is, if I didn't agree to the charge then it is fraud!! I too was a victim of AOL while I was working for said credit card company and it took several calls for several months to finally stop the charges. As far as closing your account so they can't charge, as posted before, they still can charge as long as you authorized a payment at sometime in the past. Sad isn't it. So lesson for all you that have recurring charges on your account. Once you say yes to the first payment they have you!! LOL!! Good luck to all of those still dealing with demonic AOL!!!

I have a friend that is getting six months of aol with her new computer. What advise can I give her about making sure this gets cancelled after six months so she can change to sbc yahoo?

The best advice: don't start an AOL account. . .that 'free' 6 months will end up likely causing her a lot of headaches and likely some cash if she takes them up on the offer.

I have a friend that is getting six months of aol with her new computer. What advise can I give her about making sure this gets cancelled after six months so she can change to sbc yahoo?

The best advice, is to have her give the 6 free months to her worst enemy. The enjoyment out of that is priceless.

PS if you ever sign up with AOL record the converstation, and explitily state you have my authorization to charge xxx amount until xx date. Make sure they agree with that, and have them repeat it. Then you have "fraud" and a "legal" leg to stand on when you sue them for unauthorized charges.

• 2 weeks later...

The company I work for has a general credit card that they use for hotels and someone at one of these places used it to sign up for aol. The lady that takes care of the credit card has gone round and round with them to get the charges removed. Still not sure if she has had any luck, has been going on for at least 2 months.

AOL was my first ISP about 10 years ago & I had a heck of a time getting them to stop charging my card when I closed the account. What a pain in the ...

I have submitted my Fraud Paper Work to AOL for the extra account last week.

Thus far I have been round and round with AOL and the Staff at the CC Store. No one wants to make the difference between the $14.95 AND $23.90 plans right. They basically point the finger at each other.

I write letters next I guess.