15% restocking fee at CC

Contrary to popular belief (or opinion), retailers are not obligated to accept a return on an item simply because you don't like it. In most cases, if you buy an item and return it, it can't or won't be sold as new. So whether it's sold as an open box item, returned to the manufacturer and sold as refurbished, or whatever, someone is taking a hit for a consumer returning a perfectly good item. And of course you have the people who use Circuit City as a rent-a-center who make the situation worse, and that's why they charge a restocking fee.

This is why I do a good deal of research any time I buy anything relatively expensive. Not only do I want to get the best deal, I want to get the best product. If you do that, you'll rarely be unhappy with what you get. :)

Anyone know if this would apply to a Nintendo DS from Target?

We have 2 Target's nearby and they both charge 15% restocking fee. They do charge the fee on Nintendo DS if it is open or not defective. This is kind of subject to how nice the person is that is helping you. They CAN override the fee if they want to. I know this because I used to work for Target. If it is defective, there is no questions asked. I have taken back a used electronic one time at Target but it was defective and actually, I wanted to exchange it and they no longer carried it. I was refunded my money with no problems.

As far as blacklisting customers, Walmart here does that. They will allow only a certain $ (last year it was about $100.00) amount in returns without a receipt in a year's time. If you have a receipt they don't blacklist you, only without one (atleast here anyway). My parents live close to a Walmart in TN and are always buying clothes for my 2 toddlers that don't fit. Well my mom never keeps her receipts so I am forced to take back and exchange without a receipt here in FL. I was cut off one time. More and more places are cutting down on returns without receipts and used items. I don't blame them a bit.

My target has no restocking fee, Circuit city is the only store I can think of that has a restocking fee here (more and more online stores are starting to do this however)

Walmart only allows 3 returns in a year with no receipt. That is why they take your d/l #....tracking.

As more people try and screw walmart, it seems to be getting harder to return things. They are starting (better) training programs for anybody that might ever work the service desk. The main problem is the wrong item in the box.

My brother just put a bad video card (2 years old) in an older wireless router box that WM still sells, they only gave him store credit, but that's ridiculous.

This is why I do a good deal of research any time I buy anything relatively expensive. Not only do I want to get the best deal, I want to get the best product. If you do that, you'll rarely be unhappy with what you get.

The internet is just sitting there, dying to give you info! Chances are, if you are looking at buying a high $ item, there's a messageboard/forum that have people's experiences, good or bad.

If nothing else, theres always somebody that knows which comparable items are better than the next, from a technical aspect (not just opinion)

We have 2 Target's nearby and they both charge 15% restocking fee. They do charge the fee on Nintendo DS if it is open or not defective. This is kind of subject to how nice the person is that is helping you. They CAN override the fee if they want to. I know this because I used to work for Target. If it is defective, there is no questions asked. I have taken back a used electronic one time at Target but it was defective and actually, I wanted to exchange it and they no longer carried it. I was refunded my money with no problems.

As far as blacklisting customers, Walmart here does that. They will allow only a certain $ (last year it was about $100.00) amount in returns without a receipt in a year's time. If you have a receipt they don't blacklist you, only without one (atleast here anyway). My parents live close to a Walmart in TN and are always buying clothes for my 2 toddlers that don't fit. Well my mom never keeps her receipts so I am forced to take back and exchange without a receipt here in FL. I was cut off one time. More and more places are cutting down on returns without receipts and used items. I don't blame them a bit.

I'll be trying my return this weekend. Wish me luck.

Guest outrbanx
Our Target nearby has a 15% restocking fee and also has a blacklist policy for items returned without a receipt (3 per calendar year, I believe). Our local WalMart has also initiated the blacklist policy for items without a receipt.

I got blacklisted at Home Depot...we were doing an addition to our house and bought the supplies, then had a problem with the contractor so it didn't get started for a couple of months... then when we started again some things were the wrong type and we had to return... didnt' have the receipt on some since it was old and just wanted a credit (stuff rarely goes on sale there anyway)... but they put us on the blacklist so now if I return anything there they have to call a manager. The funny thing is since the guys were working I was the designated "run to the store person" so they bought the wrong stuff, but I'm the one blacklisted at the Depot...my husband laughs at me every time we got there....

The "No Receipt Blacklist" is getting larger everyday. Most stores are using some company to keep track for them. I had a problem at Lowes with a return. The register printed a receipt with a phone number. I called the number and had them look me up by my DL. She stated that I had only made 3 non-receipt returns to Lowes in the last year and that was a low number. She told me to return the items anyway. It was weird because the rejection came without the manager even getting my info. I think they were tracking the product or something!

Also, TARGET has changed their non-receipt return policy! If you return an item w/o a receipt, (your first return or not), you can only exchange it for the exact same item or for ONE item in the exact same department. I tried to return a bed rail without a receipt. I was told that I could only get something in baby/toddler dept. I said "Fine, I can get some shirts and socks, etc..". The clerk said "I'm sorry, but you can only use the credit for ONE item in that dept." It wasn't her fault. Its "renters" and thieves that forced them to do it. But guess what? I took that bed rail back home til I found that receipt. Then I returned it. My mother always told me to KEEP ALL RECEIPTS. She was right.

Target will do a receipt look up if you pay with CC or debit card though so why is this a problem?

Cash is my credit card! MY wife uses her debit card for stuff. I just love the feeling of money in my wallet. Plus, I don't spend as much. Have you seen the Zales $50.00 thread?! I have already used my wife's debit card once. I'd be all over that site for Christmas. No credit card is a good thing for me.

I am in charge of sending back defective returns at my ToysRUs and I know that people out there do "rent" the expensive things like the moonwalks and pools that we sell. They will come in on a Friday and purchase it and then either come back Sunday or Monday and return it sometimes just pulling it out if the ground that morning. It got so bad this year I had to have my managers put up a sign that we would not refund on open box moonwalks or pools because usually there was nothing wrong with them and once you get them out of the little box they come in they never go back in.

Also, on the blacklist thing, ToysRUs does it for $200 in a year w/out receipt and we don't control it at the store it is at corp. level b/c the computer will just kick your return out of the system and there is nothing we can do. The reason we do is b/c of people like this one couple who came in 1 day and returned $200 stuff they had and then tried to come in the next day and return almost $300 they had and you could tell it had been laying around for awhile most of it rang up clearance, was dusty, or squashed. We didn't do it for them becaus ethey were just trying to take adavantage of the system. But just a tip TRU can now look up receipts if you paid w/ cash, cc, dc as long as you remember what date you bought the item. Sorry so longwinded.:D

Yes, I think 'renting' for free is getting out of control. I was at a birthday party, and during that short 2 hours, I found out this family is doing exactly that! The mother said -- we'll return it later...

You should tell them about Rent-A-Center, Aaron's Rentals, Rentway, etc. Maybe they weren't aware of such places... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
We learned a very valuable lesson about "renting" once. We got a very expensive camera for a Pearl Jam concert ($500) just to use that one day. My husband put it down on the hood of the car and forget it there. He was only gone about 20 seconds when he remembered he left it there and it was gone. So not only did we screw ourselves, the film was still in the camera so I had no pictures! That was 15 years ago and it still stings when I think about it.

I see where they're coming from some / most of the time but sometimes there are some circumstances that you can't control and you want to be able to return stuff with no receipt. Like trading it for another brand, etc. Even that Walmart seems to not care about they take your DL# and call it a return.

My MIL bought me a lot of diapers for my new baby but he leaked out of them (Walmart brand) so I exchanged them for Huggies Supreme and I did this with a few at a time not knowing the new rules. Well, 4th trip up and I got blacklisted. I was so mad! I know now that they do this, thing is she is buying me LUVS for my new baby and watch those not work and me have to figure out what to do for that. Too bad you can't just exchange for similar item different brand.

I returned my unopened Nintendo DS to target the other day...no questions asked. She just gave me a credit. I got in on the $99 deal a few weeks ago so returned the one I orignally bought a month ago. No restocking fee.

Unopened being the key word there. No one charges a restocking fee for unopened merchandise.

It is fair I think since there are a ton of people who have done like you did - bought something, used it for a trip or a special event & then tried to return it. Is it fair for me to come along & buy something that has been used? It is because so many people did things like this that the re-stocking fee came into place. It isn't 'just to put it back on the shelf'. They have to totally re-package the item & make sure that it is still ok so that they can turn around & sell it. Consider it a fee for using it on your trip.

I don't think anyone addressed the service plan/warranty. There's no reason in the world why you shouldn't be able to return that. Most places will pro-rate it, so you might not get the full amount back, but it depends on the exact circumstances.

The restocking fees I don't like at all. They used to be limited to laptops for whatever reason, and now they're everywhere.

Return policy is definitely a big part of my buying decision, where it used to not be so much.

I suggest you to call Target store. I dont think there's 15% stocking fee for it because it sell under 100 dollars

I bought a car adapter for my Sony discman a year ago at Target and when I went to use it, it didn't work. It turned out my cd player was broken so I no longer needed the adapter. It only costs $14.99 and they still charged me a restocking fee even though it was under $100! It wasn't even "electronics". Just an accessory. I fought with them for a few minutes but since it was only a couple bucks, it wasn't worth my time. Next time I need to return anything there like that I think I should say it's broken, that way, they can't charge you a fee.

-Eric