I surrendered, maybe next year

John Bennett

I wanted the Best Buy Celeron desktop system for $150 and the laptop for $398. Their newspaper circular said they would have a minimum of 20 units of each, per store.

Doors opened this morning at 5:00am. I got there at 4:20am thinking there might be 20 people in line.

Ha! Silly me. There were at least 300 people in line. I am not exaggerating. The line was three people wide and snaked down the sidewalk across two other stores.

I didn't think that would be necessary to camp at 11pm because I live in Lufkin, Texas, a small city whose newspaper only got a website a year ago.

Boy was I wrong!

Just for fun I drove over to the Wal-Mart Super-Center. It was dangerous to even drive through the parking lot. Those nut-jobs were shooting all over the place to find parking and running, I kid you not, ...running across the parking lot to get in line. It was bloody dangerous.

I'm one of the most "frugal" people you'll meet, but newegg will get my computer purchases this year.

I said screw going out this year and did my shopping from my computer. So far I've gotten $108 worth of stuff from Staples for ~$28 AR including the 200gb HD. Now I'm waiting on Musician's Friend to update their 10% sale to get some stuff. Granted, there was nothing in the ads that I had to wait in line for. For the other deals I'm interested in I'm just going to take the 5 minute drive to my local Walmart with some competitors ads to see what I can do.

I think next year I'll be doing most if not all of my BF shopping online. Unless they happen to have something I really really want and don't want to wait for. This year I had to actually go out and shop since it's my first BF in 7 years I was working retail. Had to experience it from the other side. I must admit I like the customer side alot more ;-)

Yes its getting worse each year. Either people have nothing better to do are are really really desperate for these things. like rossman my cc had people out their 6pm yesterday for the laptop.

I would rather pay the normal price than standing nearly 11 hours outside a store to save 200-300 bucks.

I also found it to be terribly done, they should've just annouced to people waiting in line, laptop is all out after handing out all vouchers as more and more people filed in it cramed the store with people all asking for the laptop.

took me nearly an hour to get out. Though it was partly because one employee crashed the system.

No computers here either. We finally got to BB at 4am. HA! Found out that

11PM was the time to line up.

People were selling vouchers and employees looked the other way. I would have bought one but no CASH! Shoot!

Interestingly the IPOD NANO was not a big hit in line. He had many vouchers.

It was done rather well but the inside was jam packed and crazy.

Yes its getting worse each year. Either people have nothing better to do are are really really desperate for these things. like rossman my cc had people out their 6pm yesterday for the laptop.

I would rather pay the normal price than standing nearly 11 hours outside a store to save 200-300 bucks.

I also found it to be terribly done, they should've just annouced to people waiting in line, laptop is all out after handing out all vouchers as more and more people filed in it cramed the store with people all asking for the laptop.

took me nearly an hour to get out. Though it was partly because one employee crashed the system.

The stores will never tell people that they will not receive the laptop (or whatever hot deal that store has on that day), doing so would kill the line. Killing the line would mean they wouldn't get people so desperate to catch a deal that they'll buy something else they didn't necessarily come for, just to feel the wait was worth it. I'm amazed at how this BF mania makes people act, waiting in line for over 12 hours, fist fights and trampling people to get that deal etc. All that to save a couple of hundred dollars? It's not like they're giving away a huge dollar item like a house or a free Lexus. lol