Warning about BB e-machines

Havoc904

With last years laptops, they asked if you wanted the free system check or not. This process did at least give the "techs" some lead time in opening the boxes before they got swamped. I declined.

When I worked at BB years ago, it was known then that the store got a kickback from the manufacturer to act as Quality Control by checking the systems.

ok..i'm in no way a techie..but i have a question. if i buy the emachine with 256ram...can i buy the ram off newegg that someone posted for <18.00 and install it myself? is that right? then it will become a 512ram computer? what about the gigabytes? will i need to up that too or will it be fine if i upgrade the ram and leave the gigabyte with what the puter comes with. sorry...i'm a mom of 3 and can do the basic stuff. lol I just use it for internet and tinkering around on...so thats why i'm not in the market for a higher priced computer. my first computer was an offbrand from sams club for 500.00 and had it for 5yrs..its till running, but my aunt has it now..only 16mg on it.LOL. Then this one i have now, its an HP with windows me on it and has only 64mg on it...but I've had it 5yrs too and only paid 498.00 for it. So I don't mind getting another 149.00 computer that is actually worth 499.00.

My Dell Inspiron 700m didn't have a seal, just remove two screws on the bottom of the laptop, pop in new RAM, fasten screws back on and bootup!

Easy as taking :loli: from a :2afro:

Ahhh... RossMAN?? taking that lollipop out from an Afro will be a :censored:

But thanks for the seal info - I haven't bought a prebuilt system in a long time.

Just to clarify... all manufacturers consider RAM to be "user-upgradable". You will NOT void your warranty by installing extra RAM.

HOWEVER: if you break your machine installing the memory, that damage is not covered under warranty. Remember: ground yourself and remove power!

Also, the new RAM you install will not be covered under warranty - so if the PSU blows up the whole computer, they won't replace the RAM you installed. However, it's not worth paying 3-4x the price of newegg to get RAM installed by Best Buy just because you are worried about your $18 ram being damaged.

Thanks zzxc (and dalerider) THAT is exactly what I was looking for! I'm familiar with the install thoughts - but still might be good for others to see.

Is newegg everyone's consensus top site for buying ram?

It is true. The RAM is only 256MB or something like that. If you run like a anti-virus and firewall in the background you will need more RAM. I run 2GB on one emachine I got last year and the rest I run with 1GB and it runs great!

I have an eMachine that I bought from Best Buy in Oct of 2004. I am currently running an anti-virus and firewall in the background (and have been for a few months now) and have had NO problem at all. Mine only has 256MB of RAM.

The power supplies in the new emachines isn't that bad. It's still not a huge power supply. Worst thing about the old power supplies was that they were a proprietary size, not standard. So it was hard to find a replacement, other than buying a new standard size case and power supply. One mom and pop computer shop near the BB store I worked at in FL actually stocked the power supplies for emachines...that's how often they died. Smart move on his part.

Oh, and BB no longer gets a kickback from the manufacturer for doing the setup/quality check. But if they offer it, I'd advise getting it done. Since at least they can power up your machine instore and be able to replace it if it's dead. Some systems will be DOA. Most of these systems the store only sells for BF, so if you get home and find out it's dead, there won't be any replacements left by the time you get back to the store.

The power supplies in the new emachines isn't that bad. It's still not a huge power supply. Worst thing about the old power supplies was that they were a proprietary size, not standard. So it was hard to find a replacement, other than buying a new standard size case and power supply. One mom and pop computer shop near the BB store I worked at in FL actually stocked the power supplies for emachines...that's how often they died. Smart move on his part.

Oh, and BB no longer gets a kickback from the manufacturer for doing the setup/quality check. But if they offer it, I'd advise getting it done. Since at least they can power up your machine instore and be able to replace it if it's dead. Some systems will be DOA. Most of these systems the store only sells for BF, so if you get home and find out it's dead, there won't be any replacements left by the time you get back to the store.

If I get a DOA I will be HIGHLY pissed off and BB will hear my voice loud and clear! :runaway:

And if no replacments that is fine, My $ back is okay or I might just put that towards a different computer since I already have a Dell Laptop I bought a few months ago.

I have had my E-machine for 3 years with NO PROBLEMS. I had another before that for 2 years with NO PROBLEMS. I used to work at Circuit City and when they first came out they did suck. But remember, Honda sucked when they first came out, too. Don't be Scurred (From the Dirty south).

Get the computer and some extra ram. It IS worth it. I am going to be at my BB 11:00 Thanksgiving night. I bought a propane heater and some hot packs for my hands and feet. I do this every year.

By the way...my father in law had a gateway and his died a long time ago. My E is still going ...bang...bang....bang

256MB is not even sufficient to run Windows effectively so that will need to be upgraded.

Also, let me just say that it is quite easy to install ram... like putting toast in a toaster... :). You just have to be careful.

I know that some people are completely uncomfortable installing things in a computer, but trust me, paying someone $60-70 dollars is waaay to much. Get a friend to do it for you.

ok..i'm in no way a techie..but i have a question. if i buy the emachine with 256ram...can i buy the ram off newegg that someone posted for <18.00 and install it myself? is that right? then it will become a 512ram computer? what about the gigabytes? will i need to up that too or will it be fine if i upgrade the ram and leave the gigabyte with what the puter comes with. sorry...i'm a mom of 3 and can do the basic stuff. lol I just use it for internet and tinkering around on...so thats why i'm not in the market for a higher priced computer. my first computer was an offbrand from sams club for 500.00 and had it for 5yrs..its till running, but my aunt has it now..only 16mg on it.LOL. Then this one i have now, its an HP with windows me on it and has only 64mg on it...but I've had it 5yrs too and only paid 498.00 for it. So I don't mind getting another 149.00 computer that is actually worth 499.00.

I would also like to know the answer to this ! Can someone help please ! :2stickpok

If you buy the computer, download a program called "Cpuz" (google it) which will tell you exactly what type of ram you have. You can then buy matching ram of any size (512 would be good, you could also go with a 1gb but it would be overkill) from newegg or countless other places including at best buy or circuit city or frys. One new 512 chip + the original 256 would give you 784 which is good. In case you didn't know, the motherboard has 2 slots in it for memory. one contains the 256, the other is empty, which is where the 512 goes. memory is very easy to install, just line up the notch and press it into place, then swing the little tabs over each end (you'll see how easy..)

when you ask about the gigabyte, I think you mean the hard drive. the hard drive it comes with will be more than enough!

your camera will work fine too. if you don't have the original CD that came with it (with the drivers) you can surely download them online.

In personal defense of emachines- my last 2 computers have been emachines and never gave me a problem. My dad had one for 3 years with no problems. My mom has one now with no problems. I guess like with anything, some people have problems and some dont.

You can only put matching sticks of RAM into your motherboard, if you have two slots. They both have to be the same size, in terms of mb's.

BS!!!

You can put a 256MB strip in and a 521MB strip in.....won't make a difference. What you should be looking for is the memory's speed and match what's in the computer already. That info is found in the user's manual.

Now, if you are trying to run RAM in dual-channel configuration, which I'm pretty sure this machine doesn't do, then yes, you have to match RAM size (amount of memory per stick) and the memory's speed. Soem manufacturers put out matching pairs to be used for dual channel setups.

But I'd almost guarantee this motherboard, in the $150 eMachine computer, just has two or three memory slots and is not set up for running a dual channel memory configuration.

BS!!!

You can put a 256MB strip in and a 521MB strip in.....won't make a difference. What you should be looking for is the memory's speed and match what's in the computer already. That info is found in the user's manual.

Now, if you are trying to run RAM in dual-channel configuration, which I'm pretty sure this machine doesn't do, then yes, you have to match RAM size (amount of memory per stick) and the memory's speed. Soem manufacturers put out matching pairs to be used for dual channel setups.

But I'd almost guarantee this motherboard, in the $150 eMachine computer, just has two or three memory slots and is not set up for running a dual channel memory configuration.

That's correct. if you wanted, you could have one stick of 128mb ram and one stick of 1024mb ram. All you need to do is match speeds. in fact, the speeds dont even HAVE to match. If you put in a pc2100 speed stick and currently have a pc2700 stick, both sticks will be automatically underclocked to pc2100 speeds. Also, if you put in a pc3200 stick and the motherboard only supports pc2700 speeds, it will simply underclock your pc3200 ram to pc2700 speeds.

Also, concerning dual channel : the emachines will NOT have dual channel support...that is only on high end motherboards. Dual channel support generally yields less than a 5% performance increase.

This eMachine is a bargain-basement machine.....it most likely will NOT have Serial ATA support, no PIC-e slot, no dual channel memory support.....no Gigabit LAN, just a few USB ports (some expensive motherboards and machines can boast of up to 10 or more USB ports...this one may have 4), more likely a cheaper chipset on the motherboard like VIA or SiS instead of Intel, the cpu is probably a socket 478 instead of the newer LGA775, and on and on.

This is a great buy at $150, but it is in now ay comparable to the mid-level Dells or Gateways, Alienware machines, and the like. Just have to remember what yu're paying and what to expect.....it's no gaming machine and never will be....it's just a good, solid, basic computer, decent for a backup machine or the kids. :)

Yes, if you get a 256MB stick, that will give you a total of 512MB. You can have up to 2 sticks, for a max total of 2GB. It comes with one 256MB stick.

If you don't mind mail-in-rebates, then the tigerdirect deal that someone else posted is for you. 512MB of PC3200 memory for $50-$40rebate=$10+shipping. here's a link. The rebate expires on Black Friday, so order that day if you get the machine. If you get the 512MB stick, you will have a total of 768MB of RAM.

If you don't want to fool with tigerdirect rebates (they supposedly aren't reliable.. at all) go with the newegg link I posted earlier. (Here's the newegg link again for the lazy) If you do the tigerdirect, make sure to persue the rebate by calling the number on the form if you don't get it in the specified amount of time.

For those interested in upgrading the memory in the system, I would highly suggest getting a 512 MB stick. If you get another 256 MB stick it would be cheaper, and would give you 512 MB total, which should be enough. BUT the system only has 2 memory slots, so then both slots would be filled up. If you later want to upgrade your memory again you'll have to toss 1 of the 256 MB sticks to put something else in.

How much do these E-Machines go for on EBay? I don't know the specs or anything to look it up but would it be cheaper to just buy one from there?

Are you kidding? No, it's not cheaper on eBay, you also need to think about shipping as well.

$149 out the door with no rebates is a HOT DEAL!