Warning about BB e-machines

Havoc904

Hi all, first post, thought I might warn you all about the e-machines. My brother works in the geek squad at one of my local BBs, and mentioned how he was packing the e-machines yesterday. He noted how the ram really sucked, and how the sales people are gonna try and push more ram and other options on the people. He then went on to note that they had only upgraded 12 of the 30ish e-machines they had on sale to include more ram. So if you are out to get the e-machines and want more ram, be there early since it doesnt appear that stores are packing many with extra. If not, then you will have to wait for them to open up the machine and install ram there.

PS: The ram it comes with really sucks, even if you dont upgrade at BB, I suggest you upgrade it more another way if you plan on giving it as a christmas present or using it yourself, or else it will run really slow.

Are you trying to discourage us from going out so you can be first in line? :2banned:

It is true. The RAM is only 256MB or something like that. If you run like a anti-virus and firewall in the background you will need more RAM. I run 2GB on one emachine I got last year and the rest I run with 1GB and it runs great!

1) Just say no if they try to sell you any "Geek Squad" add ons.

2) Open up PC, remove RAM, buy 512MB from NewEgg.com, install and you're done.

Seems easy enough to me?

I've heard of them pushing these limited quantity machines with the pre-installed extras (especially since people waited in line for hours already), but the question is if they will remove the extras and give it to you for the original price. Personally, I would demand it. That doesn't mean they will give in though.:mad:

1) Just say no if they try to sell you any "Geek Squad" add ons.

2) Open up PC, remove RAM, buy 512MB from NewEgg.com, install and you're done.

Seems easy enough to me?

That's what I would do, but - don't you technically void the warranty when you break the seal on the case? That may not matter for some of us, but for some people that might be a big deal.

That's what I would do, but - don't you technically void the warranty when you break the seal on the case? That may not matter for some of us, but for some people that might be a big deal.

Yep and the powersupply will probably die on you anyway.

You'll never catch me buying an e-Machines desktop.

Whether emachines or other desktop, 256mb is just bare minimum if you are running XP...they should really have minimum of 512 mb, but that is why they are cheap. DON'T buy memory at BB, unless it is on sale - make sure it is the RIGHT kind of memory (most have DDRAM now)...a good place for RAM on sale is Fry's or Microcenter (I hate recommending Fry's because they have such a SUCKY return procedure, but they do have great prices on no-name periperhals). And, I agree, DON'T spend a dime on Geek squad (sorry for poster who has relative who is in Geek squad) - all it takes to install memory is open case, plug in memory next to existing memory card (just match em up if you don't know what it looks like) and turn it back on - OS will automatically recognize it. Should take 10 mins...

i got a 199 emachine 2 years ago and had both the motherboard and powersupply die this summer. cost about $140 to repair. wish it would have happened this month, i would just buy the new one, or at least have paid best buy the 39 for the warrenty, since they can't order emachine boards they would have give me $450 credit towards a new one.

2 years ago they also preinstalled a lot of the machines with norton and it was an extra $50, if you didn't want it you had to wait until later in the afternoon to pick up your computer. I felt that was pure bait and switch and told them so.

i got a 199 emachine 2 years ago and had both the motherboard and powersupply die this summer. cost about $140 to repair. wish it would have happened this month, i would just buy the new one, or at least have paid best buy the 39 for the warrenty, since they can't order emachine boards they would have give me $450 credit towards a new one.

2 years ago they also preinstalled a lot of the machines with norton and it was an extra $50, if you didn't want it you had to wait until later in the afternoon to pick up your computer. I felt that was pure bait and switch and told them so.

e-Machines is notorious for their power supplies dying.

Over the last six years my family has had three e-machines. My Sister brought two and I brought one. She still has one of her's, the other is with a friend. My Mother uses the one I brought now. Two of the original three are still in the original cases. One, (mine), had the power supply die, so I needed a new case and PS for it. Other than that none of the computers have needed any other work and all of them are still in great working order. They were not replaced because they didn't work. They were replaced because we wanted upgrades and didn't want to upgrade the machine.

Yep and the powersupply will probably die on you anyway.

You'll never catch me buying an e-Machines desktop.

Touche' I think eMachines are a toss-up, good for the price, but with risk.

I should have clarified, I meant it as a general point or question regarding all of the computers being sold with XP and 256mb - they essentially ALL need to upgrade the memory, and people might unknowingly void their warranty.

Related questions:

Do laptops come with seals as well?

If you do have BB (or other resellers) install the memory, do they put on a new factory authorized seal or do they assume the warranty?

Just to clarify... all manufacturers consider RAM to be "user-upgradable". You will NOT void your warranty by installing extra RAM.

HOWEVER: if you break your machine installing the memory, that damage is not covered under warranty. Remember: ground yourself and remove power!

Also, the new RAM you install will not be covered under warranty - so if the PSU blows up the whole computer, they won't replace the RAM you installed. However, it's not worth paying 3-4x the price of newegg to get RAM installed by Best Buy just because you are worried about your $18 ram being damaged.

You will NOT void your warranty by using other than "recommended name brand" memory in your eMachines computer.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 specifically prohibits such as this.

It works like this (and is called "tie-in" slaes);

A computer system manufacturer's sales representative has told a customer (which could be an end user, reseller or integrator) that if the customer uses third party memory in the system manufacturer's computer system, the system manufacturer's warranty is voided. Through this ploy, the sales representative attempts to coerce customers into purchasing memory modules from the system manufacturer, usually at much higher prices than another supplier charges. A system manufacturer may resort to this type of warranty threat to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt in the minds of consumers, rather than to compete on the basis of quality and price ("FUD marketing").

In legal terms, this type of ploy is referred to as a "tie-in sales provision." In general, such provisions are illegal. They are specifically prohibited in the consumer market by section 102© of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 (15 United States Code section 2302©). In the workstation and server markets, such ploys can violate sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Antitrust Act (15 United States Code sections 1 and 2). As the United States Supreme Court has stated:

"The essential characteristic of an invalid tying arrangement lies in the seller's exploitation of its control over the tying product [here, the computer system] to force the buyer into the purchase of a tied product [here, the memory module sold by the system manufacturer] that the buyer either did not want at all, or might have preferred to purchase elsewhere on different terms. When such "forcing" is present, competition on the merits in the market for the [memory module] is restrained and the Sherman Act is violated."

And just opening your computer case doesn't void your warranty, either.