Taking kids out Black Friday shopping all night

Rockfordmom

I live in a very small town and yet I managed to get my head slammed into a pallet and at least one child that I saw got hurt when the basket their parent was holding got over turned by people pushing and rushing. I don't know what a good solution would be, but I personally don't think taking young children out is responsible.

Previously I would have said that is an exception but I really don't know anymore. I'm thankful our BF was quick and uneventful. I guarantee if things got as bad as many here are describing me and mom would wait it out in car. We do much too well on clearance and other deals thanks to this site to risk getting hurt. I only have 1 child I would but ANYTHING they really wanted for and usually his parents or grandparents take care of that kind of big purchase. But then again I am not hardcore BF, I would not bother if it was freezing and I have never nor will ever push or hurt anyone else just to get something.

Heck, I felt bad when we got to checkout with 2 600tc sets, 8 of the cheaper ones and some other stuff. And a few hours later both my dad then mom's bff were able to go back to store and get some more of the cheap ones and 1 expensive set. Things just multiply in our house, it would have been so much easier to order online but their website was ridiculous. Maybe next year I will have the sale going on my laptop and both desktop's to see if anything goes through

I seen lots of kids out this year too, infants, toddlers, and the age that run off from parents. I dont know if I would ever attempt to bring kids those ages out even if I had someone to help. Its not about helping get what I want its about their safety.

Even odder than seeing lots of kids, we seen lots of grocery shoppers

I seen lots of kids out this year too, infants, toddlers, and the age that run off from parents. I dont know if I would ever attempt to bring kids those ages out even if I had someone to help. Its not about helping get what I want its about their safety.

Even odder than seeing lots of kids, we seen lots of grocery shoppers

I agree. Bff's son is a terror when he wants to be, it's bad enough on a regular outing nevermind attempting BF with him. What would possess people to do groceries on BF, was there a sale I missed?

okay I finally have my money back, and Walmart wants me to tell them how they should compensate me for the error that was made on their part and I could not continue with Black Friday and didn't get to leave the store until 2:30am there for missing most of the sales. I don't want to be greedy but I don't want to not be given enough, So what do you all think ????

I live in a very small town and yet I managed to get my head slammed into a pallet and at least one child that I saw got hurt when the basket their parent was holding got over turned by people pushing and rushing. I don't know what a good solution would be, but I personally don't think taking young children out is responsible.

I too live in a small town. I have been BF shopping over 20 years and this is by far the worse I have ever saw it. Walmart was a madhouse, and one 3 year was actually trampled for sheet sets. The stupid parents refused leave the store to take him to the hospital before finishing their black friday shopping. I did take DS13 because he wanted to look at the games, but once we saw how crazy it was gonna be DH took him home without attempting it. Last year they had such a good system, but this year it was just awful.

I couldn't belive all the little babies that were out in my area, in fact there was one mom at our walmart she was holding the I wouldn't say new born but not real old baby and she grabbed something and someone punched her :eyepoppin who hits someone with a baby in their hads but then the mom hit back and DROPPED THE BABY ON THE WALMART FLOOR!!! :eyepoppin. They both got arrested cop was standing right there and saw the whole thing! I couldn't belive it and then the cop wanted to call an amulance for the baby and mom said no THANKFULLY there was a nurse that happend to be shopping came and checked the baby out and whoever she was with took the baby but the nurse told her to take it to hospital just to make sure but WOW!!!

I couldn't belive all the little babies that were out in my area, in fact there was one mom at our walmart she was holding the I wouldn't say new born but not real old baby and she grabbed something and someone punched her :eyepoppin who hits someone with a baby in their hads but then the mom hit back and DROPPED THE BABY ON THE WALMART FLOOR!!! :eyepoppin. They both got arrested cop was standing right there and saw the whole thing! I couldn't belive it and then the cop wanted to call an amulance for the baby and mom said no THANKFULLY there was a nurse that happend to be shopping came and checked the baby out and whoever she was with took the baby but the nurse told her to take it to hospital just to make sure but WOW!!!

OMG!!! That is the worst BF2011 story I've heard so far! That poor baby!

I'm not talking about people that don't have any other choice, or kids over 12. Although I was surprised that there was so many teenagers at the mall at 3 am, what about all the 4,5 & 6 year olds. The parents of every single child that we saw did have a choice, every single one of them there was more than one adult. Why couldn't one of the adults stay home with the children? We saw 3 women with a very tiny baby, why couldn't / didn't one of them stay at home with the baby and they other 2 shop for that person?

I'm not talking about people that don't have any other choice, or kids over 12. Although I was surprised that there was so many teenagers at the mall at 3 am, what about all the 4,5 & 6 year olds. The parents of every single child that we saw did have a choice, every single one of them there was more than one adult. Why couldn't one of the adults stay home with the children? We saw 3 women with a very tiny baby, why couldn't / didn't one of them stay at home with the baby and they other 2 shop for that person?

Everyone has a choice. No one is forced to go out on BF. If you don't have someone to watch your very young kids then don't go.

I seen sooo many babies this year and it makes me sick! I have been a single mom and know the necessity of getting a good price to make sure my son had a good Christmas. BUT I always thought of it as is him having a good xmas worth him getting hurt, NO WAY! My son is 14 now and wanted to go this year. I told him no and am glad I did. I would love to share this with him, but not after the craziness I seen this year. If I can't afford it and have no sitter I will not subject my kids to that. They don't need it that bad. Older kids to each their own. My son personally wouldn't do so good just because of his personality. I don't see anything wrong with kids his age going but a baby freezing in the cold and then being hurt no way!

What I want to know is how do you buy all this stuff and not have you kid realize it's for them? I don't think DD17 would ever go out with me again because she saw me buy almost every single one of her Christmas gifts. And she only went with me because she didn't want to be left home alone.

BF is not the same as it was 5 years ago or 10 years ago. I didn't go out this year, but I know that last year it was more crazy than usual. I think it's the 10PM/midnight opening of the sales. The crowd has changed. It's not the usual bargain-shoppers who help each other. It's a free-for-all, a "don't get between me and my $1.50 towel or else" crowd. :rolleyes: And, I'm from a really small town. Several years ago, I did take my two oldest boys with me one time to Walmart of BF. They were 9 and 7. It wasn't nearly as crazy as it is now. I wasn't scared for them and they were never in any danger. But I would never take my 8 & 10 YO with me now.

What's sad is that I went to my Walmart today, and A LOT of the BF sale stuff is still there. I did 99.9% of my shopping online this year out of necessity, and I really think that is the way I'm going to go from now on.

There is ALWAYS a choice. I stayed home last year because I didn't have someone to watch my child.

We are so wrapped up in giving our kids every single thing they ask for, imo. My mom raised 4 girls alone working as a waitress. I rarely got what was on my Xmas list since she focused on what she could afford. I never complained or even thought of my list on Xmas morning. I was just thrilled to be playing with what I DID get.

I think if these kids could choose they'd rather not be dropped on a Walmart floor or hit with shopping carts and be home than have a particular toy they merely requested on a list.

A letter to Santa is not a binding contract. They'll survive if they don't get THE toy- and they'll survive bodily harm!

There is ALWAYS a choice. I stayed home last year because I didn't have someone to watch my child.

We are so wrapped up in giving our kids every single thing they ask for, imo. My mom raised 4 girls alone working as a waitress. I rarely got what was on my Xmas list since she focused on what she could afford. I never complained or even thought of my list on Xmas morning. I was just thrilled to be playing with what I DID get.

I think if these kids could choose they'd rather not be dropped on a Walmart floor or hit with shopping carts and be home than have a particular toy they merely requested on a list.

A letter to Santa is not a binding contract. They'll survive if they don't get THE toy- and they'll survive bodily harm!

:gdclap: Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

AMEN!!!!!!

I will also applaud you! Like my Granny said 10yrs ago before she died....the world makes me sad, people expect to have everything no matter what. Not having something and having something to dream towards, thats what the world has lost.

EXACTLY!!! Why do so many parents think they have to get their kids everything they ask for?

Depending on where you are and how bad your stores are, it's not worth risking bodily harm for adults either or employees for that matter. Black eyes, scratched up faces, pepper spray, being pushed down an aisle, having your head pushed against a pallet, being trampled or close to it. Not worth it! Heck, my ER co-pay would cost more than any savings I would receive.

It's sad that it's getting dangerous to go out on BF. I know this type of stuff doesn't happen at every store. However, it is starting to happen at stores that used to be trouble free.

I too was amazed at the amount of kids out! We let our 15 year old go out with us this year, and that is the first time any of our kids were allowed to go. She was so excited and the younger two were really jealous. We decided to make that a right of passage. When they turn 15 they will get to tag along too!

I may have taken my kids out (11 & 12) if I thought they could stay up all night and not have made me have to bring them home in the middle of the night, but no way could they have handled shopping until 8:30 am! Plus we froze in the Menards line from 5-6 am.

My husband got up at 5:30 and went to 1 store that opened at 6:00, he got there at 6:07 and they were out of 1 of the 2 things he went to get. He said that he learned his lesson, I had told him that I would be there 1/2 an hour early but 15 minutes was probably OK for Farm & Fleet. I think he may do it again next year and maybe if we all went together but took 2 cars he could bring the kids back home in the middle of the night. He said he wanted to experience the whole black friday thing and I think he's hooked. Plus my older son used to go with me and we could split up the stores and get more stores covered, so I need a new shopping partner.

• 3 weeks later...

I was surprised at the number of kids I saw out BF shopping with their parents all night. I saw a few at the store we went to at midnight, but then we went to the mall & at 3:00 am we went to the food court to wait for the 4:00 stores to open and there were kids all over the place. I'm talking about little, under 8 year old kids at 3-4 am. My kids begged me to take them with, they are almost 11 & 12, and I didn't think they could handle staying up all night, so we were shocked to see 5 & 6 year old kids out with their parents, awake at 3:30 in the morning.

Throughout the night I saw a couple of my kids friends out with their parents so it made me think about taking my kids with next year, but then I heard all the stories about the crazy people & someone pepper spraying people and now I'm back to thinking that I won't take them out with me next year. I go out after Thanksgiving dinner & don't come home until 8 in the morning and I don't want to have to run home to drop off my kids in the middle of the night.

Was it like that all over the place, were there a lot more kids out with their parents than before? I didn't notice women by themselves with their kids, it was groups of people with kids (we saw 3 women and a very young baby or 4 adults with 2 little kids around 4-5 years old) and we thought why didn't one of the adults stay home with the children? And how were those kids up at that time of the night?

This year, because the stores opened at midnight rather than 5am, I also noticed more kids than usual, however, many of them were on the line for a while but not in the store. I had no choice but to have my kids with me on the line for a little while because my parents were going to watch them, but they went to my sister's house for Thanksgiving and couldn't pick them up until about 9 or 10pm. The choice of whether to bring the kids or not all has to be judged on an individual basis. I have been doing Black Friday for about 17 years now, and the past 8 in this area. I know exactly what to expect, I know the dangers, I know how to avoid anyone in my group getting injured, and any kids are supervised at all times and kept out of any danger. My daughter is 13 and she has gone for the past few years. At this point she is a veteran and actually able to actually help out now. In the past for the first few years she would stay with my wife and get right on the line when she got in the store and hold my place until I got the non-doorbuster items. I do not recommend any kids unless you are familiar with what to expect on BF. You mentioned you have an 11 and 12 year old, that should be a safe age to start taking them depending on your location. If you live in a notoriously rude place where people don't give a damn and would just assume trample kids to get their items (such as NYC, ie Walmart 3 years ago) then it is best to leave them home.