With the midnight openings, should I even bother going out Friday morning???

lamb616

I'm an amateur BF shopper, I've only gone a couple times over the years, but this year my kids finally want a lot of mainstream toys, so I was planning to make a huge day of it. I'm up at 4:30-5:00 every day anyways, so getting up and out the door at, say, 4ish is not a huge deal to me. However, I'm in bed at 8-9:00 at night, and no way in heck could I manage to keep my eyes open until midnight, much less be out shopping at that time. Not to mention if I did that, then I'd come home, go to bed and still have to get up at 5:00 a.m. for the day!? (that's when my kids get up). No thanks. So now I'm wondering, if I go at 4:00-5:00, are all the good deals going to be gone? Or would that just be doorbusters - should I not plan on getting my hands on any of the doorbusters? Professional opinions please! :D

ETA: I am mainly interested in hitting Target, TRU, Walmart, Kmart, etc.

I believe those are all opening at midnight on Thursday.

Edited by lamb616

LOL dont bother.Everything will be gone.The doorbusters for sure.i mean it really just depends on what you want.if its anything in the ads forget it.Weather its hot or not if its in the ad ppl just have this deep seeded need to buy it.lol.thats just BF for ya. Now WM IMO does sometimes have things left.Ive been known to go later that evening and scour the store.youll find stuff hidden here and there.Its what i call the "i didnt really that pile".Mainly buy the registers.Videos and games and toys will not be found.Pjs clothes and such might be but sizes are limited.If you really need or want the stuff get up and go out at 8pm turkey day.Shop come home sleep for a few and then just feel like crap the next day.Thats just the way it is.thats all the fun of BF.

I say go. Don't count on getting everything on your list (none of the limited quantity stuff), but some of it might still be there. Walmart is probably your best bet, sometimes they have lots of leftovers. I've seen kids PJs, toys, cheap movies, and even some electronic stuff later in the day on Friday. It can be really random. I've seen things sell out in one Walmart within the first hour (or minutes), while the Walmart on the other side of town still has a pallet full 2 days later. Cheap home goods seem to go as fast as hot electronics, but you may find them discarded around the store.

I'm guessing it won't be worth your time to go to TRU or Best Buy, but take the ads with you to another store that price matches. If they carry the exact same product you may still get the deal you want. This is a great option if you are looking for movies, games, or toys that every store carries. It needs to be identical, though, no store-exclusive bonus packs.

the more I'm reading, the more I'm realizing I don't "do" BF like a lot of you -- I don't go wait in line before the store opens or anything like that. In the past I've hit the first store at like 5:00 ish, after the line has died down (I'm thinking they opened at 4:00?), then I'd hit the other stores (WM, TRU, etc.) over the next few hours. I'm not in the market for any of the "hot" items, like tvs or laptops or anything, just your basic toys. Oh, and a Wii. IDK, I'll have to think about it.

I'm like you OP in the fact that I dont "do" BF like some of the people here either. Even though it would be nice to get some of the doorbuster deals I refuse to wait in line for 8+ hours and/or ruin my Thanksgiving by doing so. I usually head out early as well on BF morning (7-8ish) and just consider what I can get as something I got a great deal on. For the things I didn't get, I will just continue to go on the hunt for during the sales the rest of the month up until Christmas. I say if you go at it with an open mind that you're going to get as much as you can and not fret over not getting every item on your list, or expecting any of the huge doorbuster items, BF is still a fun day to be out and about enjoying the festivities and getting some good deals on things you need. :g_thumbri

We went out last year around 6am and it was GREAT! A lot of places opened at midnight and then the rest opened at 4-5. By 6 the crowds weren't bad at all and we took our time and shopped all day! There were even some TVs and stuff left at Wal-Mart when we got there about 8, but we don't shop for stuff like that.

If you are up around 4am, if you spend a few minutes online before heading out, you may be able to score some great deals then because the folks that didn't go to bed on TG and went out shopping will be asleep and the folks that got out a bit later will likely already be on line at some of the stores/malls that open at 4-6. I'm the same kind of bf shopper as you are and refuse to get up that early or stay awake all night. As long as you don't have your heart set on a doorbuster deal, you'll likely get some of the deals you wanted, just, maybe not the very best and of course, electronics and toys are the most in demand. For small items like CDs or DVDs, my favorite method is taking the target/best buy ad into walmart and price matching. As long as it's within the sale ad hours on the ad, you should be able to pricematch. I've done this for many years and never hit a snag. I say definitely go and have fun while the crazy midnight people are sleeping! :0)

I agree with previous posters, go ahead and head out. Usually it will be chaos around midnight. After a few hours that will die down and the employees will start collecting all of the crap left in random aisles. I went to Wal-Mart at Midnight and got a bunch of DVDs. Some of which were hard to find. We went back later in the day to see the damage and there were carts full of games/DVDs people decided they didn't want anymore. I went through them and found almost everything I got earlier and then some. I think I ended up getting a few more things.

Oh yeah, most def. That's what I would like to do. See the aftermath and hit up the later sales. Plus, what tehlilone say rings true, you can often find stuff tucked away somewhere, like dvds and games. Plus there are always leftovers, could be some then. Retailers are probably ordering more than ever and really hedging their bets. For the simple love of the day, just hang out, you can sleep it off the rest or the next day.

I wouldn't waste time at Walmart, they sold out of alot of things while I was line last year to Check out at12:30.

However, I bought a ton of stuff at Target. I waited in line from 1-4am in 20 degree weather in the pouring rain...I returned something on Saturday. They had EVERYTHING I purchased...even a doorbuster camera.

I so learned my lesson....

I'd say go anyway. The worst that can happen is you miss out, but you just never know. Last year I didn't hit Walmart until about 7:00, and they still had quite a few of the Blurays I wanted, and also some of the other "doorbuster" items (none of the big ones though). And don't forget to check the returns...lots of times people pick stuff up and then change their minds so you get a second chance that way.

I would still go early at 4AMish for sure...in fact, that's what my SIL and I are doing this year! I am well aware that getting "doorbusters" will probably be completely out of the question, but I would imagine that they would have some non-doorbuster items left (esp Target with the 2-day sale stuff). Plus not having to wait in a ridiculous line sounds good to me! Last year we got to Target 30 min after they opened and the checkout line was literally up and down every single aisle through the entire store....not only could you not fit down any aisles in order to get anything, but you had NO idea where the line even started in order to wait!!!!

I think as long as you are okay w/ going and knowing you may end up w/ nothing then give it a try. In years past (back to the good old early openings of 4-6am) my sister and I would go out around 2am do the doorbuster openings then head to the mall and places like Fashion Bug. After getting home in the early afternoon, I'd sleep for a few hours and then always go back out and hit Walmart again. I'd almost always be able to pick up a random doorbuster or 2 that was still left over (and they were still giving the morning price on).

Last year though, we went to 3 Walmarts in the evening and there was not 1 item to be had. It seemed the midnight opening changed that strategy for us. Though maybe the people who didn't arrive until early morning were able to pick up some things (if you put it into time perspective).

so walmart will price match? so if I hit walmart first and see stuff that I'm planning to get in TRU/Target/Kmart, I should just get it at Walmart and show them the ad?

thanks for everyone's help. I'm not a "wing it" type of gal, I like to have a specific plan and all the different info/policies is overwhelming.

I believe I read they would price match this year but I would double check with Wal-Mart since I can't find the quote.

It seems to vary from store to store how they follow the Price Adjustment policy on BF. There is a post somewhere of someone who asked beforehand last year (or before then) and then returned to same store and was denied the PA.

It very well could be that way now.

I know I did the PA 3 BFs ago but I don't want to steer anyone wrong.

Thanks for the addendum :)

Good news for me! Apparently, all my stores WON'T be opening at midnight as previously thought! Walmart in MA will now be opening at 4:00 a.m., and Target is reportedly going to be at 1:00 a.m.. No official word on the others yet. So now I don't have to worry about ALL the stores being wiped out by the time I get there at 4-5:00 ish! :D

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/11/15/massachusetts_blue_laws_derailing_stores_black_friday_plan/

I'm so disappointed in the stores opening on Thanksgiving that we are boycotting this year. Its one thing for us BF junkies to give up our Thanksgiving to camp out but I think its just gone too far and its silly. I mean seriously, if there is a deal at say Walmart that you want...whether it opens at 10pm or 4am, that's where you'll go. I'm just tired of the greed :(