Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread

Brad

The Nikon Coolpix S8100 will be $149.99 at Best Buy and it looks like a great option for you. It's compact (pocket sized), but has a 12x zoom. The quality of the camera will be very good, as well. Most pocket-sized cameras right now have a max 5x optical zoom.

I would consider a 10x to be the minimum optical zoom for a "primary" camera. It makes a huge difference for those shots where you can't get any closer to the subject (at the zoo, for instance).

12x is all the better, of course.

ok which is the better camera- the one in the target ad for $99 or the one in the walmart ad for $159 I believe it is. Ones a nikon and the other is a fuji. I'm looking for fast shutter speed and zoom. Those are my top 2 things. I got a 5x sony and it's shutter speed stinks and zoom is terrible. I use it mainly for kids pics. Also, if I can't score the target camera, will it be available online? Walmart is my first store to hit, the toys r us, then target. I don't have a credit card for online use yet so if it is I will buy one. When does target usually list their cameras available online? And how does it work? Will they sell out before I can purchase? Thanks.

I would probably go with the Sony DSC-H70 from Walmart before the Fuji, but if you've got time to got to a store and handle them before BF, I would absolutely do that. I've never used a Fuji P&S camera that I really liked, but Sony keeps getting better and better. If you miss those, the Nikon at Target should be ok. However, there's really no good info out about that camera, so either the model number is a misprint or it's some special run that Nikon did to make a really cheap model of their entry-level super-zoom point and shoot.

I would consider a 10x to be the minimum optical zoom for a "primary" camera. It makes a huge difference for those shots where you can't get any closer to the subject (at the zoo, for instance).

12x is all the better, of course.

The other thing is that 5x, 12x, 24x zoom is all relative. You have to find out what the wide range is to begin with to know what the multiplier means. If you start at 14mm or 24mm, that makes a big difference. Of course, I usually walk around with a 24-105mm lens and a 70-200mm lens and pray that the camera gods bless me with a 200-400 some day.

I've not used Fuji that much, but from my experience with them, they are slow to focus, because they hunt around to find something they want to focus on. This, in turn, leads to waiting to be able to take the photo you want. Now, any point and shoot camera will do that to some extent. It's just the nature of what they are and what they are made for. I've been pleased with some of the $300-$400 Sony and Canon offerings, with regards to speed, but really anything sub-$200 is going to have those issues.

If Best Buy or Wal-Mart carries both of those models, go see if you can get some hands-on time with them. If they aren't powered on, they should be able to get them on for you, so you can determine what functions the way you want it to.

I would probably go with the Sony DSC-H70 from Walmart before the Fuji, but if you've got time to got to a store and handle them before BF, I would absolutely do that. I've never used a Fuji P&S camera that I really liked, but Sony keeps getting better and better. If you miss those, the Nikon at Target should be ok. However, there's really no good info out about that camera, so either the model number is a misprint or it's some special run that Nikon did to make a really cheap model of their entry-level super-zoom point and shoot.

I have bolded what I believe is likely to be the case. Manufacturers are known for making decontented limited-run models of their regular products specifically to hit retailer's price points for BF.

Ok, Nikon Coolpix L105 at Target for $99 (reg. $199) or Nikon Coolpix S8100 at Best Buy for $149 (reg. $299)? I'm leaning towards the BB one BUT it would depend on if it's on sale online. I don't care about size because I use my iPhone for daily pix, just want something for special events like sports, b-day parties and other things where you purposely bring a camera with you. :)

I'm in a quandry between the sony 10x zoom, the fujifinepix at walmart and the $99 nikon at target. The reviews on all of them are split. Some love em, some hate em. So which do I go with? I DOUBT they will let me test out the cameras before purchase because SO many people will be there right? or will they?

No but you can always buy a couple, go home and try them then return them. ;)

I am looking for a decent P&S for my technophobe mom to take on her big birthday trip to London. Needs to be good quality at good price. Any recommendations among the BF deals? (A bundle would be ideal). Edited by SuggaD

Ok, Nikon Coolpix L105 at Target for $99 (reg. $199) or Nikon Coolpix S8100 at Best Buy for $149 (reg. $299)? I'm leaning towards the BB one BUT it would depend on if it's on sale online. I don't care about size because I use my iPhone for daily pix, just want something for special events like sports, b-day parties and other things where you purposely bring a camera with you. :)

The "L" series is the bottom of their line performance-wise. Coolpix is a step up. I'd definitely go with the Best Buy one, if you can swing the extra $50.

My 14 y/o daughter wants a decent camera for Christmas - well she wants one that is like $600-700 - no way is she getting one that expensive. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a decent camera that has 1080p video and at least 15-20 shooting/scene modes? There are so many out there - just not sure what is good and I have been getting overwhelmed. I want to hopefully stay in the $200 range and actually hoping for a good deal on BF somewhere. Thanks for the help!!!!

My 14 y/o daughter wants a decent camera for Christmas - well she wants one that is like $600-700 - no way is she getting one that expensive. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a decent camera that has 1080p video and at least 15-20 shooting/scene modes? There are so many out there - just not sure what is good and I have been getting overwhelmed. I want to hopefully stay in the $200 range and actually hoping for a good deal on BF somewhere. Thanks for the help!!!!

I'm buying the Sony handycam on in Best Buy's ad. I bought both my sons one 2 years ago and love them. they have a one button push to change from camera to video.

I'm wondering if it's worth buying a camera on bf or if I should wait till after, nearer to christmas? I need one. I have no camera now and want one asap for when we put up the tree next weekend but the ones I've seen are junky for their prices. Is bf a good camera shopping day? I'm specifically looking at the sony camera in the walmart ad with 10x zoom at this point? The fuji is terrible and I was not impressed with the nikon in the target ad. I am looking for a decent camera, under $200, with rechargeable batteries and great shutter speed for what it's worth and at least 10x zoom. Sorry to restart a thread. I didn't see the old thread for cameras. Thanks!

I'm wondering if it's worth buying a camera on bf or if I should wait till after, nearer to christmas? I need one. I have no camera now and want one asap for when we put up the tree next weekend but the ones I've seen are junky for their prices. Is bf a good camera shopping day? I'm specifically looking at the sony camera in the walmart ad with 10x zoom at this point? The fuji is terrible and I was not impressed with the nikon in the target ad. I am looking for a decent camera, under $200, with rechargeable batteries and great shutter speed for what it's worth and at least 10x zoom. Sorry to restart a thread. I didn't see the old thread for cameras. Thanks!

Check out the Nikon in the BB ad for $149, reg $299. That's the one I'm going to try and get. :)

Check to make sure the lenses will fit a new DSLR. My dad had an old cool Canon camera and still had the lenses, but they don't fit on my DSLR unless I buy an adapter.

Let me guess FD lenses? If so then you might as well forget about adapters for modern SLRs, distances are too short. Now micro 4/3 (like sony's nex) will adapt them nicely. Also don't forget to look at other brands, like Nikon's old Nikkors or Pentax K/M42's, the quality can be pretty surprising.

The "L" series is the bottom of their line performance-wise. Coolpix is a step up. I'd definitely go with the Best Buy one, if you can swing the extra $50.

The L series is also a Coolpix, L stands for Life Series, S stands for style, AW = all weather and P is for performance, each have their pros and cons- the Life series seems to be longer zooms, uses AA batteries, tends to be a little heavier and bigger than the S series.

I need a camera. Mine was stolen over the summer and have not had one since. I do not have a lot of money to spend on one. I saw that Kmart and Walmart has one for 49.00. The one at Walmart is a Kodak 1450. The one at Kmart is Fujifilm AV200. I need to know which one is the better camera. I do realize that the Kodak camera is 5X zoom and the Fujifilm is 3X. I would probably use this camera for a year or less because I am hoping to get a good DSL camera soon. But right now this is all I can afford.

Thanks.

The L series is also a Coolpix, L stands for Life Series, S stands for style, AW = all weather and P is for performance, each have their pros and cons- the Life series seems to be longer zooms, uses AA batteries, tends to be a little heavier and bigger than the S series.

I didn't realize it was part of the Coolpix line. I had been talking with a local camera shop owner and he said the L cameras were the bottom-quality for Nikon. Based on my experience with the L24 (our current pocket camera), I'd steer away from that line of cameras. It's incredibly slow focusing, and thus slow to take the photo you want. Of course, I got it for free, so I can't complain too much!

I need a camera. Mine was stolen over the summer and have not had one since. I do not have a lot of money to spend on one. I saw that Kmart and Walmart has one for 49.00. The one at Walmart is a Kodak 1450. The one at Kmart is Fujifilm AV200. I need to know which one is the better camera. I do realize that the Kodak camera is 5X zoom and the Fujifilm is 3X. I would probably use this camera for a year or less because I am hoping to get a good DSL camera soon. But right now this is all I can afford.

Thanks.

If you only need it for a year, go with the Kodak. Kodaks tend to be great out of the box, but image quality suffers over time. It's not the case with all of their cameras, but it's a trend that can't be ignored. I'd take the Kodak, due to the longer zoom and the fact that they are usually a bit better quality builds than Fuji.

If you only need it for a year, go with the Kodak. Kodaks tend to be great out of the box, but image quality suffers over time. It's not the case with all of their cameras, but it's a trend that can't be ignored. I'd take the Kodak, due to the longer zoom and the fact that they are usually a bit better quality builds than Fuji.

Thanks for your input. I bought a Kodak about 5 or 6 years ago. It was around 150.00-200 for the camera, case, batteries, charger, and SD card. It lasted me about 4 1/2 years and took great pics up until the end. Then last year I used my mom's Kodak camera. It was about 2 years old. The pics did not even come close to the camera that I had earlier. I will just be glad to have a camera again. I have missed so much by not having one..

I will probably be getting myself the Kodak and then I think I am going to Kmart and getting my boys the Fujifilm. They want their own camera and I don't have the extra cash to get 3 cameras. So, i will put them a camera on layaway at Kmart.