Black Friday Survive and Thrive Strategies

AuntJamelle

So what are your tips and tricks for not only surviving your Black Friday shopping experience but also making it a success?

Some great tips have been shared by everyone over the years! :D

How do you dress? What do you bring with you? The Cart vs. No Cart Debate - lol

I love to hear everyone's strategies!

I have no particular dress code for Black Friday, but I have a couple GottaDeal shirts I won in each of the past two years, so I wear those. I usually bring the ads themselves with me (others put them in binders or notebooks, but I don't).

As for the cart, it depends on what I need, and who all I'm with. If I have a friend or two with me (as was the case last year), I like the strategy of having a person stay in a empty section of the store with the cart, and the other people grab the stuff. If I am by myself, and if I must, then I will use a cart. Otherwise, I will try my best not to use a cart. To me carts are about as bad as strollers.

Those are good questions, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

Edited by Brad

Here is my tried and true list:

- Dress comfortably in layers with plenty of pockets

- Wear a lanyard with a plastic badge holder for holding debit and license around my neck, under my clothes instead of a purse

- Eat something before leaving the house AND pack snacks, water, etc.

- Bring a sheet or blanket in the car to cover any expensive items that may need to sit in the car while in stores shopping

Wear comfortable clothes in layers as some stores are hotter than others.

Bring water and snacks

comfortable shoes (not the time to be fashionable)

If in a group use a cart as a central location for everyone to gather and drop off finds otherwise go without cart unless you need some big items

Take a list of what you want to get at each store as well as the ads.

Cell phone to contact family and friends

Chair and blanket if you plan to arrive really early(reading material or talk to others in line)

Scout stores before BF

Get the items on your list and get on to the next store (not a day to browse)

Go with a fun attitude - you never know who you will run into or talk to that day. It is a game and although you play to win, no one needs to get injured

The best way that I do Black Friday shopping started when I got a large enough group to hit more stores earlier. The next generation started joining us a few years ago. We divide the stores up by who wants the most from the store. We all give our lists to that person. We will meet at 3 am at Denny's to eat breakfast and exchange lists. We then meet at 8 am at my SiL's house. We divide the purchases and make payments where money is owed.

Then anyone who wants to go out and pick up things that aren't as critical will go out together.

We do many of the things listed above. However in the last 2 years we have had a big group So on Thanksgiving we all write our list for each store, each store has an envelope, everyone totals their list and puts the list and the cash in the store envelope to pay for their purchases. Then whoever is going to that store gets the envelope with all the lists and money needed. It has worked really well for us and helps us to not make to many unplanned purchases. If something cannot be gotten, we call and make sure a substitute can be made if possible. I usually write a master list for my store or stores so I can get in and out as soon as possible.

This year our group will be smaller but I still like the envelopes.

I also do alot of the above but will write my strategy.

I write a list for each store I will be going to. I then write down each item I want and the bf price and total up how much it will be. ( This way I can make sure there is no mistake that day at the register)

I dress in layers. I bring a smaller bag then I usually carry and only bring my id, casyh, and cards I will be using. ( debit, credit, n store cards I m going too). I also have an envelope with all my coupons.

I pack snacks, water, and most importantly fill up TWO LARGE COFFEES! ( i usually make a starbuck run as well but thats later when the lines arent a mile long.

With the exception of when I am standing in line @ TRU with my BFF, I am alone on BF. We meet at that store and usually have a difft plan for the rest of the stops.

-I dress comfortably and in layers; Under Armour is a must since I try to go without a heavy coat as much as I can (I will have gloves, no hat)

-Cross body bag that I use to carry keys, ID & cash

-No snacks; I stop @ Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts @ some point and that gets me through (when I get home around 9 or 10, I eat leftovers & crash :)

-last but not least: my iPHONE, it has my list, the plan of stores and what I am getting at each store along with the expected total at each of these stores.

That's about all for me; the lighter I travel the better & I will avoid carts as much as I can!!

I plan on making french vanilla hot cocoa, sitting in my computer chair in my comfy sweats and ordering online :fluffy: The bargains may not be as good but I am trading in comfort for value this year :tongue1:

Sounds like a soothing way to shop,just the kind i need my BF buddy ( my last sister) died 6 weeks ago so this may be my plan for BF this year...

Thinking I will be drinking hot tea (since it doesn't require sugar for me) and sitting at the computer also, will probably put 1 childs gift in layaway next week or so, that will help me enormously with the tight budget. Shame my oldest doesn't want a 3ds also... Dh and I will probably wait to see what my bonus looks like in March for anything big so I will have stockings to do and my mom and brothers, niece, etc...nothing big there. So my bf shopping will be a lot easier... Unless I win the lottery or something. :)

Try phone ordering items before the store opens. I try to reduce the number of stores I have to go to by ordering as much as possible either online or by phone. Last year before going out I ordered a microwave online at sears for store pick up and got it after the mad morning rush later in the day. While in line at best buy before opening I called their phone order line and was able to get he advertised camera with free lens. These were strategies I used to move quicker and cover more ground.

So what are your tips and tricks for not only surviving your Black Friday shopping experience but also making it a success?

Some great tips have been shared by everyone over the years! :D

How do you dress? What do you bring with you? The Cart vs. No Cart Debate - lol

I love to hear everyone's strategies!

Most important for anyone that will be spending the night... DRESS IN LAYERS, and don't overdress too soon. While it may be a little chilly during the day, do not go putting on all your heaviest clothes until it gets to extreme cold temperatures, usually between midnight and 3am. I will usually bring a light-weight sweatshirt as well as a heavier one. During the day I'll have my jacket and a light-weight sweatshirt. At night I'll change to a heavier one. Also I never use blankets until about 11pm or later. Also I bring a portable propane heater which I won't use until about midnight.

One of the best tips.... keep moving. If you can't locate an item, forget the item and move on. Try to spend no more than about 15 - 30 minutes per store. If you are with other people in your group, work out who will get what items. No need for 2 or 3 members of your group to pick up the same item, have 1 person grab 3 of them and meet you in the front by the registers. We will often break the store into sections, 1 goes to electronics, 1 goes to clothing, etc. That will vary if there are too many items we want in 1 section, or if 2 sections are close we may add it in. RECON IS ESSENTIAL FOR THIS.If you have enough people, have 1 member of the group grab a spot in line.

Carriage? What carriage? Unless you need to pick up numerous items where a carriage is required, ditch the carriage. You can run through a store much quicker than you can pushing a carriage. Speed is essential in getting the items you want, don't let anything slow you down.

Carriage? What carriage? Unless you need to pick up numerous items where a carriage is required, ditch the carriage. You can run through a store much quicker than you can pushing a carriage. Speed is essential in getting the items you want, don't let anything slow you down.

Aside from the list I make up in Excel, I think this is the biggest thing. I know some people need carts for lots of big things but if you do not then don't bother. It's easier to get around lines of bunched up people and carts without one. It never ceases to amaze me how people with or without carts will just take up whole aisles even lining up next to each without consideration for others. I don't leisurely stroll around stores on BF and don't appreciate the people who force me to. AND if you do end up needing something to put stuff in just use something from store, a bucket, storage bin etc. as you can still go around people easier than with a bulky cart.

I don't remember taking my purse and people will frown upon it but I keep my cards and phone in pocket and do just fine. It's become a popular thing lately for random people to tell me I'm going to lose them but....it hasn't happened yet. One BF I thought I had lost them and I had just left in car cupholder ,that was very scary for a little while.

Last year I brought my own cloth shopping bag and it worked great! Especially at Target. I got there about 30 minutes after opening and you could barely move a body in the store, a cart would have been impossible. I was getting a bunch of small items that would have been tricky to hold onto without dropping, but my handy-dandy shopping bag worked wonders. I had another store's ad in my bag to PM a video game. Since I was PMing I HAD to check out at customer service, which saved me about an hour in line.

I actually got the idea from GD. There was some discussion about whether putting stuff in your personal shopping bag would attract scrutiny from security. I don't know if security was watching me and my bag or not, but if they were I didn't see them and nobody said anything to me. I didn't think it would be a problem as long as I used an open-topped shopping bag. Shoving items in your purse might be a different matter!

First I make detailed lists of what I want from each store and price, what time each store has what on sale, and any other information I may think necessary.

I usually dress in a short sleeved shirt (we live in AL not usually awful cold), then put a long sleeved shirt over it (if I am planning on standing outside), and a jacket. Once inside the store I use the jacket to keep my stuff covered so no one can steal things out of my buggy..I had that happen year before last.

I make sure I have my debit card (leave it in the car..lol). I always use cash bc this helps me know how much I'm spending. I do separate it into envelopes and I put it in my back pocket. I leave the ones I am not using hidden in my car with the doors locked.

Our group always takes cell phones in so that we can call each other when we find something the other one needs. That way we can separate and have a better chance of getting everything we want.

I always get a cart (especially in Walmart) because I usually have more than I could carry. This year I am hoping for a TV but DH is going with me so he will probably take care of that while I take care of other stuff.

Take others with you if at all possible!!!! THis is very important..lol.

HAVE FUN!! I am looking for great deals this day, but most of all I am looking at having fun and enjoying the day shopping!!!

Here in the south they don't have carts. They have something that looks exactly like them, but you never, ever call them a cart. they are called a buggy.

Don't tar us all with the same brush, the only buggy I know is the car :P I got a fabulous little wristlet thing at target today for $3.24. I think it's supposed to be for some electronics thing but is basically a small 2 pocket wallet, enough for cc's, license, keys and some cash should I take any.

Always dress comfortably, in layers, with appropriate shoes. I use a cross body wallet that I put my cell phone, cash, debit card and license in. We usually have a fairly large group, so I always type out a list of what we want and split it up by 3-4 items per person to get. Each person gets their own list of their items with directions to where each item is located in the store. The items are split by location in the store so we can get in and out quickly. We meet up front at registers, and are usually checked out within 15 minutes.

I wear my fannie pack which is perfect to carry cell phone, money, credit card, id, tissues, chapstick. I wear long underwear under my pants, my convertable gloves which go from mittens to fingerless, and my warm winter coat. I don't use a cart and I am somewhat short and young so I can manuever easily. I plan ahead what I need from each store and I get in line (while mom waits in the car until the line starts moving cause she's not as serious about it as me). I get done fast and get a place in line and mom meets me there. Some stores I just get a place in line while mom shops if there's nothing I wanted there. One time we used a garbage can to carry stuff in. I try to fine alternate routes rather than walking down the main aisles as they are always crowded. Toys and electronics get crowded fast so if I need something over there I get there quick and get out quick while mom gets stuff on the other side of the store, like appliances, bed sets, etc.

organization wise what has worked best for us is a list of what we want to get with prices sorted by store with opening time listed next to it(not needed til last year really). I jot down multiples and then go scratching off if I get at first store so we sometimes end up not having to go somewhere. Especially important for walgreens or electronics , we jot down sizes and/or model numbers.

In years past, I used to jot down prices before and after rebate as well as limit number and number of receipts needed (multiple addresses) but this doesn't happen as often anymore. I lucked out last year at jcpenney or sears with a pressure cooker where they didn't have rebates and were just adjusting price to what it should have been. If I hadn't had it jotted down on paper and circled in ad I probably would have had to return and deal with it a different day when they MAY have had the rebate in stock.

My lists are pretty much the same as what people have listed before. I make a list of items by store...the stores are listed by "opening times"....I list "who" within our group wants that item (that way we know who to call if it's gone), the item name, price, if it's listed in flyer for a price match option and also a list of other stores that maybe carrying that same product. So, then we're able to know if an item is at kmart for $45, but we are in Target first and they have it for $50 we can pick it up at Target and price match Kmarts flyer at Target. Make sense???

Those big bags blue from IKEA are great to carry larger items before checking out, w/o having to use a cart. They are great for moving about the store quickly and are unlikely to draw the evil eye from security, since they are so obvious. I've been using the same IKEA bag in Target for several years now.

Reusable shopping bags! We used trash bags one year at Kohl's so we didn't need a cart, but they got pretty ratty by the time we got to the checkout.

Bring a buddy. I really don't think you can be successful if you're alone. BF is a team sport.

If you get to a store and there's a long line, get in it immediately and take shifts running around the store getting your stuff. The line at some of the big stores, like Target, Best Buy and Kohl's, can get crazy long.

Don't wear a coat into the stores. If you're waiting in line in the cold, have one of your friends run them to the car when the store opens.

If you have a smartphone, download all the stores' apps. The best is that a lot of them have price scanners built in so you can find out the price immediately. You can also do your own price checking if you see something you weren't expecting to buy. This came in really handy last year. Also, you can shop the online deals while waiting in line.

Honestly, the best thing you can bring is a good attitude. Make friends with the people in line and laugh off as much as possible. You're all in this together.