With The Economy This Year Are You Cutting Back for Black Friday?

bfaddict1977

Are u serious ?! What is your trick to let you spent their money ? :gdclap:

It is quite simple. I almost always do this for friends and family, and will seldom charge a small fee when it is not a relation. They trust me with their money, and i get the satisfaction of knowing that i did something unselfish for others. A pleasant bonus is the fact that I get rewards points for all of their purchases! I would rather give any unwanted tickets away than to see someone else sell them or profit from them. Others in my posse are free to do what they feel is in their best interest, but I shop online as well, and scored the 6th Ave TV deal and passed my TV ticket to someone else as a result.

It is quite simple. I almost always do this for friends and family, and will seldom charge a small fee when it is not a relation. They trust me with their money, and i get the satisfaction of knowing that i did something unselfish for others. A pleasant bonus is the fact that I get rewards points for all of their purchases! I would rather give any unwanted tickets away than to see someone else sell them or profit from them. Others in my posse are free to do what they feel is in their best interest, but I shop online as well, and scored the 6th Ave TV deal and passed my TV ticket to someone else as a result.

Aha! So you are the one that actually sits out/goes to/gets the BF items purchased for friends/family? That's a GREAT idea, especially if it's something you enjoy and have the time. Do they tip you? (I hope so, I think it'd be worth tipping someone to deal w/ BF, at the very least a hot delicious meal)

I am saying that we WILL be cutting back this year not because of the economy but more because its gotten ridiculous. I want my kids to appriciate things more. I want to take the stress outta getting the perfect gift for realitives to be GONE. I want it to be fun again. But we will see if I actually stick to it

I am sooo with you on this. My kids don't appreciate the things they get as much as they should. Why? Because they know thier gonna get what they ask for. They get way too much and half of it doesn't get used or played with. I have a 16 year old. Most 16 year olds ask for clothes and such. Mine has never asked for clothes for Christmas. Again why? Because he knows he's gonna get clothes whenever I see sales online from Hollister, Aeropostale, American Eagle etc. and that's quite often. They are way too spoiled. Whatever big gift they ask for, they get. Well, they pretty much get everything they ask for Christmas. I really think I'm gonna put a limit on it this year, well hopefully.

As far as the relavtives, I 'm with you on this too. I always stress myself out over trying to find the perfect thing for them. Something thier in to or collect, a favorite of some sort. Brothers and thier wives always get 3 or 4 presents each from us. All of which is something that I really put thought into. I just like to see everyone happy at Christmas but I really need to change things a bit.

PJ's on Christmas Eve

something they want

something they need

something to wear

something to read (sometimes I fudge this one and do a puzzle or a board game instead)

1 gift from Santa, and Santa fills their stockings

LOVE IT!

As for us, we are in a better position this year (its hard to be worse than last year - zero income!), but I still try to not go overboard with gifts. We finally have a good system in place to eliminate clutter in our home and I never want to go back!

We do this:

PJs on Christmas Eve.

1 "Big" gift each from Mom & Dad ("Big" is relative. I've seen other posts where our "Big" is someone else's "Filler" or "Little").

Each of our 3 kids get a small gift for the other 2.

Santa generally bring a game and fills the stockings.

Clothes as needed.

Then they get unneccessary clutter from the extended family!

I'm cutting back not necessarily because of the economy but just because I am actively trying to be aware of wasteful spending. We're also looking to buy our first home in 2012 so that is motivation as well. I have told DH that I am sticking to a $500 limit per child; we have 4 so that puts us at $2,000 without buying for my mother, nieces, nephews, etc....DS15 wants the PS3 badly and since it's the only system we don't have we will be getting it. I have to find the best bundle for my money bc the reg price of $250 is half of his allotment.

I am not cutting back, but staying the same. I drastically cut back about 65% last year and will stay at the amount. I have big families on both sides and 2 dd and my wife. I try to get the things I know they will really enjoy and play with. Last year 1 of my DD asked for the Zhu Zhu pets and I did not get it because I thought she would not play with it much and because you had to buy so many pieces to get it to work well. When she opened all of her stuff she was sad and said “All I really wanted was a Zhu Zhu pet " and you could see the hurt on her face. So this year I am sticking to what they asked for, but what’s with in my budget as well. I will be taking the Dave Ramsey approach as well :lolrun:

PJ's on Christmas Eve

something they want

something they need

something to wear

something to read (sometimes I fudge this one and do a puzzle or a board game instead)

1 gift from Santa, and Santa fills their stockings

I love this as well and will make this my family motto this year:

So this year I am sticking to what they asked for, but what’s with in my budget as well. I will be taking the Dave Ramsey approach as well :lolrun:

I think that's a good idea. My parents never got anything off my lists and I still remember that. I don't remember disliking what I got and all my toys were well used by the time I was done with them but it's just something I remember.

Yes, the economy has forced my family to cut back, and I don't think its a bad thing... cutting back, I mean. The economy just sucks. :)

We always limited it to one big gift, several smaller gifts and a "family gift" such as a new VCR, Wii, etc. I usually shopped throughout the year for the smaller gifts, buying things on sale and clearance that I thought the kids would like. Then waiting until closer to Christmas for their bigger gifts (as their wants and desires changed so fast around this time of the year). Now that my kids are college age, they no longer expect Christmas gifts to fulfill all of their wildest dreams, but I still stick with one big and a few good sale items.

We did change how we give gifts to our extended family, though. We backed out of the extended family gift circus and started making gift baskets for every family, instead. Each year the basket contains items that we made ourselves (a "spa" basket w/ home made soaps one year, home made vanilla extract and biscotti another, elderberry wine the next). Other family members began to follow and now our extended family gift giving is just a riot of home-made, inexpensive and more personal gifts. Far more fun, at far fewer dollars.

Each year the basket contains items that we made ourselves (a "spa" basket w/ home made soaps one year, home made vanilla extract and biscotti another, elderberry wine the next). Other family members began to follow and now our extended family gift giving is just a riot of home-made, inexpensive and more personal gifts. Far more fun, at far fewer dollars.

Is there a website that has all the information for making these things? do you just look it up whenever you get an idea? If it's just one site I'd appreciate the info since that'd help me out lots.

Not one website in particular. We just follow whatever that particular year's passion was. We got into making soap one year, so that became guide for that year. We found a bunch of elderberry bushes one year, and decided to try making wine, and made enough make a bottle for each family. Mixed with some thrift-store, hand painted wine glasses and we had a very nice basket for practically nothing. Seldom do our gift baskets cost more than $10 each, and often dip down to $5.

One doesn't necessarily have to come up with something unusual each year, either. I'm just a dilitante. Some people have a hobby that they do well, like woodworking, and can create something new every year in the same medium. Other people love to cook, or can special treats from their summer garden or orchard (like home made jellies). Some people can be counted on for the same special treat every year, and their recipients know to look forward to it. You are only as limited as your imagination. :)

We won't be cutting back on Christmas gifts this year. I put $30 into a Christmas club from each paycheck, so we have a designated Christmas budget. We always go over, but that's okay. The Christmas club will cover about 2/3 of our budget and I don't even notice the money missing from my paycheck.

If anything, we'll be spending more on BF because we're set to close on our first home in October. We're going to put off the big purchases, like the washer/dryer, until BF. *fingers crossed*

Good book ideas:

Diary of a Wimpy Kid #6 in this series comes out November 15th.

Mo Willems has a new Piggy and Elephant book coming out in October.

Goliath a new book in the Leviathan series just came out last week.

I am getting request for all three of these books from different libraries that I manage. I love the idea of giving a new book for a Christmas present.

Probably the same. I have a xmas club at my bank , so I will have the cash in hand. My 14 year old wants expensive electronics,last year was a huge year so this year he shouldn't need such expensive items. . I like all of my kids to have the exact same number of presents. Usually about 12. Even if some are small and some are big, there has to be the same. My grandkids get about 6, also doesn't matter how much they cost, they all have to have the same total. IT matters to kids that they all have the same and if one kid has one less present, they know. Christmas eve was always pajamas, but my youngest just wears boxers to bed, so I started getting him a book for xmas eve 2years ago.

We have always tried to keep our Christmas expenses low - and most of the shopping on BF is for Christmas. Overall we should be able to keep $ spent low this year - which is partly due to being mindful of the economy and partly just trying to avoid spending on items we don't really need.

Our only child is going to be just shy of 2 yrs this Christmas and he will be happy with whatever we get. I'll have to talk to DH about keeping our heads on what we buy for each other. :)

I cut down a bit on the number of items last year, not so much for economic reasons, but becasue I thought we had gotten a little out of hand a couple of years before that. I will probably stay about even this year, except that I didn't get the nice new camera I wanted for myself last year and plan to buy one this year.

I was considering posting something about this topic in the holiday section, so I'm glad I found this thread and will watch for more ideas.

Not so much the economy, but I went through a divorce between last Christmas and this year which drastically cut my income by half and it's still a struggle just to keep my house. Needless to say I need to cut WAY back on what I usually spend for the holidays, which is going to be very hard for me as well since I LOVE this time of year and shopping, buying new decorations, etc. Luckily, I only have 8 people to buy for, but that can still add up and right about now, even $20 is too much to spend! :(

I love the ideas so far and please keep any ideas coming on cheap gift ideas.

When my husband lost his job a few years ago, we cut down significantly. I used to buy my kids whatever they asked for and then some! Good thing my kids never asked for crazy expensive items!

I have a 16 year old and two 13 year olds, this year we will probably buy a tv for the game room (currently they are playing video games on a 22" old tv), but even that won't be anything huge. Pjs on Christmas eve, a couple of books, and a few smaller items to open up. I'll probably get them each either one video game or a gift card to get a game. I did splurge and buy tickets to a Red Wings hockey game for Dec 27 (this will be the kids first game). But that is probably it.

I used to spend $200+ on each kid, but I don't see the sense in it any more. We have worked very hard on paying off debts (Dave Ramsey is the way to go!!!), and we are getting close to that goal! We are working on having a savings built up and the house being our only debt. Once all the credit cards are paid off, we will plan a nice family vacation to celebrate. Lately I have been focusing more on spending quality time together doing something, than buying things that will be broken or collecting dust in a month. (not intended as an offense to anyone with little ones, you NEED to buy toys, etc with little ones)

Every year they say the economy will have a affect on Black Friday. And every year, Black Friday ends up being the largest day for retail sales. Not to mention breaking the previous year. Likewise with Cyber Monday.

I think it will be just as crazy as the previous years. Because everyone continues to think Black Friday is the greatest day to shop and will come out and spend money. More and more deals are coming in the months of oct-nov. NOW is the time to buy and watch online deals and in-store. The savings of Black Friday are becoming a thing of the past and more a tradition that people just get into.

The best deal I got last year was the 59$ 2TB from Target. Even thoe I camped at BestBuy for 2+days. I really do it for fun with friends. So count me in again this year.

It's a shame, this year I don't have my audio truck anymore with the back-end of electrical. Will have to borrow some batteries heh. Wonder how much juice my hybrid has stored up :-D

I love spending other people's money, but it is more stressful. My mom and inlaws tell me how much they want to spend on our 5 children and 1 grandchild, then I go out black friday and purchase everything; they watch the kids. My mom wraps everything when I get back and then she and my mother in law pays me. Lately I have been I have been taking the oldest girl and her friend to stand in line for the big stuff. I'm getting excieted!!!!

Bfaddict1977: for the last 2 years walmart has had a decent laptop for $200. We love em! Notebooks are ok but you will probably want an upgrade within a year.

They also had 32" flatscreens for the same price!

I've been a bf veteran for over 14 years now and still lovin it!!

Aha! So you are the one that actually sits out/goes to/gets the BF items purchased for friends/family? That's a GREAT idea, especially if it's something you enjoy and have the time. Do they tip you? (I hope so, I think it'd be worth tipping someone to deal w/ BF, at the very least a hot delicious meal)

Funny that you might mention that! Last year, I met this lady (earlier in the week)who drove by with her daughter. She was a bit dismayed that I was missing out on Thanksgiving dinner and said that she would return on thanksgiving with plates for me and my son. I thanked her and assured her that we eat thanksgiving dinner on the Saturday before, but she was a traditionalist and pushed that notion aside. On thursday afternoon, sure enough, her son showed up and gave us two heaping plates full of food. I am here to tell you that that was one of my best moments ever, and the act of kindness was a blessing in itself. The food was incredible, BTW!

Funny that you might mention that! Last year, I met this lady (earlier in the week)who drove by with her daughter. She was a bit dismayed that I was missing out on Thanksgiving dinner and said that she would return on thanksgiving with plates for me and my son. I thanked her and assured her that we eat thanksgiving dinner on the Saturday before, but she was a traditionalist and pushed that notion aside. On thursday afternoon, sure enough, her son showed up and gave us two heaping plates full of food. I am here to tell you that that was one of my best moments ever, and the act of kindness was a blessing in itself. The food was incredible, BTW!

That's awesome.

Yes, cutting back, but I cut back last year as well.

:fluffy: That was awesome of them to do!

I'm cutting back as well. My dd's are older now....19 & 15...and my youngest keeps saying she has everything she needs. I'm not getting anything for my nieces/nephews except the one that is being born on Tuesday...YAY. They are all older as well. I'll get something for my mom, my kids and my husband and that should be it. The economy sucks.

I'm cutting back as well. My dd's are older now....19 & 15...and my youngest keeps saying she has everything she needs. I'm not getting anything for my nieces/nephews except the one that is being born on Tuesday...YAY. They are all older as well. I'll get something for my mom, my kids and my husband and that should be it. The economy sucks.

Your daughter sounds very wise.