Angle Tree / Helping Kids This Christmas

bfaddict1977

Our office adopts a family through Social Services. We stopped doing gifts for birthdays and Christmas to each other (3 of us) and donate money to the "Christmas Fund instead" I just set up the envelope for donations last week. Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!!

My neighbor and I called our school and they provided us a family and it was kept anonymous. She gave us a list of the ages and some suggestions of what they might like and sizes and we did our shopping and wrapped everything and dropped it at the school. (we have more than one elementary school so I think she chooses a family in another school than our children attend---our school nurse handles it) It is nice to help out in the community and as well we do some for toys for tots and a domestic shelter.... Have fun with it, it is a great thing to do:-)

We have a community group that does the adopt a family but it's just the kids of the family who you buy for and it works out great each year. Each family that signs up to be adopted also gets a food basket. It was fun to go to the drop off place and help sort gifts and food for baskets (I did this with DD's Scout troop last year... even DS got into it). My kids and I will definitely do this again this year... unless something drastic happens or we move out of the area.

Our office adopts a family through Social Services. We stopped doing gifts for birthdays and Christmas to each other (3 of us) and donate money to the "Christmas Fund instead" I just set up the envelope for donations last week. Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!!

That is exactly what we do at our office. We pick the number of children we want to buy for and are provided with age, gender, and their wish list. Feels so much better to know you are helping a specific child to get something they really want. We all make those BF sales really count when buying for "our" kids :)

I am collecting soccer balls for children in Honduras. Most children cannot afford them and they must eat first, so it just never seems to happen for them. The items will be shipped with teams headed for construction projects through the IMB. International Mission Builders. I also found out that ICEE puts soccer balls on their order form, so we can get them from ICEE as well. It is on their winter list, not the summer one.

I would call your county or state.

We have Shop with a Cop that we give to every year. The children get to shop with a cop at Walmat and spend $50.00 on themselves or gifts for others. I actually was at Walmat one year they were doing it and watched a little and cried. It was so cool to see!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Our school district sets up Angel trees in each school every year .

Our families pick from each elementary/middle/high....they also include the parents and a local senior citizen home.

After the cut off date the "caring communities" at each school shop for the "angels" left on the tree.

It can break your heart to see a 12 year old ask for a used bed or blankets....I like it because we know we are making someone in our community have a Merry Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...
At work we are allowed to wear jeans every friday for a $2.00 donation. At the end of the year we use the money to buy gifts and food for family. Though we are a large health center that serves a lot of needy families so we look for families all year that end up being our candidates to help out.

I am sending soccer balls to Honduras. We are collecting them and shipping them on missionary flights to give to the underprivileged kids there. If allowed, i will post the address if anyone cares to send one. They are as little as $8 if you get them at Big Lots. They can be easily deflated for transportation/mailing.

• 2 weeks later...
On the same subject but the other end of the spectrum...where can families go for help? I know...church is the number 1 place that came to my mind, but we haven't' been attending church like we should and I just don't feel right asking for help when we haven't been there in a long time. I am ashamed to ask for help; no one that we know knows we can't afford Christmas this year with all our bills and oldest is in college this year.

What if we started our own GD "angel tree"? There are plenty of GD'ers that could use a helping hand this Christmas. It wouldn't be too hard to set up and run. Dunno if Brad would allow, so that might be one glitch.

Count me in.....if we just sent a little cash thru paypal maybe Brad or another Mod could get some gift cards out to the families in time to use them for whatever they feel would brighten thier Christmas....just a thought

On the same subject but the other end of the spectrum...where can families go for help? I know...church is the number 1 place that came to my mind, but we haven't' been attending church like we should and I just don't feel right asking for help when we haven't been there in a long time. I am ashamed to ask for help; no one that we know knows we can't afford Christmas this year with all our bills and oldest is in college this year.

Did you try your local school ?.....Salvation Army.....check your local community centers also maybe they would be able to help .

• 2 weeks later...

Check with the Salvation Army, your kids school and social service agencies in your area. You may still consider talking to your church. They may be able to help or can direct you to an organization that can. You should probably contact them ASAP so you can get on a list in time for Christmas.

What if we started our own GD "angel tree"? There are plenty of GD'ers that could use a helping hand this Christmas. It wouldn't be too hard to set up and run. Dunno if Brad would allow, so that might be one glitch.

Any word from Brad om this yet ?