Any one have a clue whats it like to work on Black friday

nathanr1229

Here's another hint buddy, if you hate retail that much, go get a degree from a law school. We could always use more ambulance-ahole chasers. THEN with degree in hand, you wont have to work retail.

But to be frank, I wouldnt hire you unless the spelling and grammer drastically improved. I is capitalized always, and allot is spelled alot. ;)

hey! as a potential future lawyer, i resemble that remark! ;)

well with his attitude and aptitude, it might just be ambulance chasing for him... instead of corporate law like i want.

I work retail too. We're having our big sale in two week on Nov 19th. That is the best day of the year there!

I absolutely love it that day, people all over the place. All of the great customers I help all year. That day, I'm able to talk to thrm and see what kinda cool stuff they do with what I sell them!

I work at a hobby shop and we sell radio control products, model train stuff, and models of cars, planes, and other vehicles made of plastic!

I wouldn't pass on that day ever! Hell, if I do get another job eventually, I'll always come back and work that day because it's such a great day there!

-Mike

Its an absolute mad house depending on where you work and what position. 5 yrs ago I worked BF (but started later in the day) at Home Depot.It was nuts. It didn't help the back office didn't add a couple of the advertised deals into the computers so they didn't come up. kept having to get forms and approval from the head cashier to change price in the register. Big hassle

I worked for 3 years at a Disney Outlet.... Talk about "fun"! ;) I was an opener, so I was there at 5:00 AM and we didn't open until 8:00 AM! We would have a line of about 300-400 people waiting and the store would only hold about 100, so some would have to wait until others came out. We had great deals though.....

And I got to leave at 11:00 AM! Missed everyone else's BF ads, but they things settle down and I could shop some. But then, I got married and pregnant. I left the Sunday before BF so I wouldn't have to hastle with it again!

June

I hope not everyone in retail thinks like you. I talked to some employees at best buy and they said they look forward to that day .. I work in customer service ( call center for a pharmacy) and get yelled at on a daily basis for something I can not control. Did not make the mistake I am the one trying to fixed the mistake someone else made but they dont care they are ticked off and i was the first person that they got to yell out their frustration at . Do I take it personally No its just part of my job..

I have worked in retail on BF, but my experience was much nicer than the first one posted. I worked at KBToys for the Holidays one year, and of course I was scheduled on BF. The store opened at 5AM, so folks were lined up when I got there at 3:30. They were all patiently waiting, chatting, drinking coffee and having a good time. Once the store opened, those same folks bombarded the store but kept the same good spirit they had outside.

Since then, KBToys is always my first stop on BF because they open first. Now I stand in line with those same folks and we all enjoy talking about which stores we are hitting after KB. It's a fun experience if you make it one!

If you run into a miserable associate on BF, take an extra moment to tell them to have a nice day, don't work too hard, etc. Just a little extra attention goes a long way. They are just as stressed as us shoppers are! Associates, keep in mind the reason you have a job is because shoppers like myself are willing to stand in long lines and give your employers our hard earned money. :)

All of you think your better then me Sorry if my spelling is not the best sue my ass! Oh how nice your all stay at home moms Thank god for that! I just feel sorry for all over you At less i can say that I work for one store not 4 or 6 in my life . So get off my back. Go save your $1.00 . As for one thing that was out of line by all of you. You say i have a bad attitude. We gee look at all of you acting like you know everything .Well sorry if i do not feel like smiling at you when you try and buy something from me . After getting so one yelling at me for running out of stock or only can buy one at a time. I do not set the rules but no you do not care your yell at me call me names. But no its ok for you to do that. All I was trying to say " Before you start to yell at the sales person for something out of there control stop and think. Let me put it this way to all of you

On black friday , Do something for me when your in the stores trying to shop try and look for a manager on the sales floor . Its easy to tell who there are . there the ones with the radios doing nothing at all or there be walking around doing nothing . Why do not you try yelling at them why the we can only sale you one of the dolls or dvd players or how did you run out after only being open 2 hours ask them not us the sales staff

Can we just lock this now. How sad you have no life and that you would go so low as to try and get under our skin. Well sorry none of us are going to get down to your level. We will all still get along and have FUN and chat with one another. You have not ruined anything with your post. You should be going to bed so you aren't late for school tomorrow. As a matter of fact you just remind us why we like it here so much. We're NOT like you!!:gd_shake: Now go brush your teeth and get to bed.

I'm only 19, but I've never insulted, yelled at, or even raised my voice to any cashier, manager, etc. I've encountered my fair share of problems, but I always try to resolve it with sophistication and maturity. And when a cashier tells me I can't use a coupon on something, or a restriction applies to something I didn't know about, and it sounds reasonable to me, I'll just say "oh, okay" and comply with it. I always say "thanks a lot" after a cashier gives me my receipt. And I know I'm not the only one like this. I know you have dealt with many, many nice customers like me. But do you remember us? No. You remember that one customer who was having a bad day and took it out on you. How terrible that you let such a very small part of your average workday ruin your life.

I agree; this thread needs to be locked. I'm all of the sudden very depressed.

-Mark-

I worked it one year at Sears. I was a seasonal employee and had never experienced the Black Friday madness (not even as a shopper). It was crazy! I have to say though, it was not as nightmarish as I thought. Everyone was so excited and happy to be getting deals, so they weren't rude at all :).

I understand that you are frustrated working on Black Friday...I work at the Gap and can understand why you would feel that way...However talking to the people on this forum the way that you just did can justify their actions toward you. It is our job to be as helpful and kind as possible.... They ARE paying our salary. If you hate retail as much as you sound maybe it is time for a new job. Here's hoping that the beginning of your holiday season is better than the last and I truly hope that your attitude towards us all shoppers is one of joy and in keeping with the holiday spirit.

All of you think your better then me Sorry if my spelling is not the best sue my ass! Oh how nice your all stay at home moms Thank god for that! I just feel sorry for all over you At less i can say that I work for one store not 4 or 6 in my life . So get off my back. Go save your $1.00 .

Dude, you need to find another job! I buy a lot of things on BF. They might be inexpensive after the rebates but not junk! My flat bed scanner from 4 years ago ($10 AR) is still going strong!

I also save a lot more than $1. Try hundreds!

I'm only 19, but I've never insulted, yelled at, or even raised my voice to any cashier, manager, etc. I've encountered my fair share of problems, but I always try to resolve it with sophistication and maturity. And when a cashier tells me I can't use a coupon on something, or a restriction applies to something I didn't know about, and it sounds reasonable to me, I'll just say "oh, okay" and comply with it. I always say "thanks a lot" after a cashier gives me my receipt. And I know I'm not the only one like this. I know you have dealt with many, many nice customers like me. But do you remember us? No. You remember that one customer who was having a bad day and took it out on you. How terrible that you let such a very small part of your average workday ruin your life.

-Mark-

Amen

On black friday , Do something for me when your in the stores trying to shop try and look for a manager on the sales floor . Its easy to tell who there are . there the ones with the radios doing nothing at all or there be walking around doing nothing . Why do not you try yelling at them why the we can only sale you one of the dolls or dvd players or how did you run out after only being open 2 hours ask them not us the sales staff

i do kinda agree, alot of the time the manager doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot & the first person to deal with someone's bad day is the cashier, BUT most of us do keep that in mind and are polite to the cashier esp. with stuff that is out of their control.

i do kinda agree, alot of the time the manager doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot & the first person to deal with someone's bad day is the cashier, BUT most of us do keep that in mind and are polite to the cashier esp. with stuff that is out of their control.

But, what you don't tend to see is that when there is a seriously irrate customer that is pitching a HUGE fit the manager has to deal with those!! And in most stores the manager has no control over how much of an item they have, how many you can buy, etc. Most of the time it is corporate that decides those issues. And as far as the manager standing around, that again is mostly only in bigger stores. I was a Store Manager of a smaller store (before I quit to stay home with my disabled daughter) and I was expected to and did more than my staff!! It was MY job to keep that store running!! But I don't come on here pitching a fit like *some people* b/c it's just part of the job. Every job has its crap ends. This guys just needs to grow up and realize that life is a b*tch and there's not awhole lot you can do about it besides try to get through it as smoothly as you can.

Guest Deals4Me

All of you think your better then me Sorry if my spelling is not the best sue my ass! Oh how nice your all stay at home moms Thank god for that! I just feel sorry for all over you At less i can say that I work for one store not 4 or 6 in my life . So get off my back. Go save your $1.00 . As for one thing that was out of line by all of you. You say i have a bad attitude. We gee look at all of you acting like you know everything .

We dont THINK you have a bad attitude. We KNOW that you have one... Brad, Ross? Wheres the ban stick when you need it?

Ok, I've pretty much ALWAYS had to work Black Friday at one job or another! I've worked at Sears and JCPenney's (I worked in the portrait studio, but we still had to be there when the door's were unlocked to hand out coupons and stuff...) I managed a frame shop last Black Friday which was easier than other places, but still rough. But I LOVE retail, love working with the customers. That's what RETAIL is all about!!!

If you think BF is bad, try working at a Papa Murphy's on Superbowl Sunday!!! Imagine having to make 400-500 pizzas from 11 am until 1 pm (or whenever the game starts) I managed Papa Murphys for 3 different super bowls and really, it's pretty discouraging when you have a PACKED lobby AND a line outside that goes almost all the way to the grocery stores doors next door (for those unfamiliar with Papa Murphys its a take and bake pizza place primarily on the west coast, but goes as far east as Colorado)

And here's another one for you! Imagine working at a Blockbuster the night before a Hurricane hits (Wilma in particular!!!) and EVERY customer seems to be upset because you don't have the movie you want. It's as bad a black friday, except half the people who rented movies couldn't watch them because they lost POWER!!!

And on one other note, I've had NUMEROUS customers YELL at me because I worked for Sears or JCPenney's portrait studio and we weren't open Thanksgiving or Christmas day. You don't know how many times I've had to explain that NOBODY is open those days (well, except Blockbuster...LOL) because the company feels we deserve those days off for family as well!!!

It's all customer service. If you don't want to deal with it then don't do retail! That would be like working in an office and REFUSING to answer the phone or use the computer...

And just remember, if you can't solve the customers problem and you're at/near the bottom, you only have to call the person above you over and then THEY can deal with the problem.

Grrr...I love my retail job...not as much as my mommy job now, but still...

Kriss