Any one have a clue whats it like to work on Black friday

nathanr1229

Is anyone out there know what its really like to work on Black Friday ?

Anyone know what kind for hell it is for us. I have worked for over 6 years in retail . Must of the the time i like it allot but that day is a living hell. Everyone thinks it fun and games for us. Its far from it. The weeks we have to get ready for it. We get ready getting ready for it. Only getting one day a week that week and thats it. We just love getting yelled out called names , A@#$Holes trying to hit us. Yes i have been hit by customers for not having the item in stock! sound like fun yet ? well ?

Try thinking of the sales staff in the store for once not the $30.00 bucks you think your saving on that DVD player for $19.99 . Heres a little clue folks . Its junk 19.99 DVD player is JUNK. The store paid ed maybe $6.00 for them and selling therm to you for $19.99. Think about it for a min . Look at this " A 51 inch Magnavox TV News flash folks ITS JUNK it . Or even better yet a Sylvania in TV for $149.99 Wows sounds great NOT MORE junk Wake up world and see what your doing to yourself and the junk your buying And most of all

BE NICE TO THE SALES STAFF. PUT YOURSELF IN THERE PLACE LOOK AROUND AND SEE ALL THE SHIT WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH SEE IF YOU THINK ITS FUN. We are being made to work if we do not we have no jobs.

I know allot of you are going to write back saying I need to relax or get a better job . I love to get out of retail but there is no real jobs out there if you have not seen yourself . IF you do not like what I have said . I can say " I can careless what you think or feel , I know you do not care about my feels so deal with it

I know it is crazy! I haven't worked retail since 98, when I worked at Walmart. I put in my two wk notice a few wks before Thanksgiving because I found a new job. I hate to brag, but I was one of the fastest cashiers they had. They asked me to extend my notice to almost three wks, making my last day BF, because they needed me. I did, and deeply regretted it! I didn't mind the fast pace, it makes the day go by so quick, but some people are just plain mean that day!

Andrea

Sorry, had to respond to this...

First, you are lumping everyone into one category. Not EVERYONE out there is a jerk. I can tell you MOST people I have encountered AREN'T! What I witness is people going out of their way to hand you a dvd player out of your reach, or to give you an opinion on a toy they may already own, or to pass ads over to your register so you can price match. I always greet the cashiers with a smile, ask how they are holding up, and to tell them I appreciate how hard their day is.

What do you really care what JUNK people buy? Know what, a lot of that Junk I have has lasted longer than the expensive JUNK i have purchased over the years.

Put a smile on your face, and I bet you, you will be greeted with one as well.

oh, and for the record...I have worked at Toys R Us on Black Friday.

Cheer up..it's only one day! LOL

When I first started working retail, I worked on BF at Hot Topic. It was my second day of work, so I had to be a greeter and hand out the discount cards.

The next bf, I was working at Vitamin World in a popular outlet mall. Again, I was new to working there and really knew very little about the products, but I don't remember it being too bad. I did have to get a ride in to work that day though, and it was a good thing since I would have spent hours driving around for a parking spot as it was.

:rant: Sorry, just couldn't pass this one up!!!:trampolin I am one of those "crazys" you are talking about who loves buying the cheap electronics every year on bf. I love them, mine have lasted way longer than the expensive things I have bought. And if me and these other crazys didn't buy them you would not have that job anyway. I am not mean to the employees, but I have many complaints on them!!!:confused: Most of them don't have a clue at our WM. They are either more lost than I am about what is going on or they are the BIGGEST BUTTHOLES you could ever run into. What happened to customer service?!?!? Have you heard recently about how much money is spent on bf? I'm not saying that all employees are like that but the majority of the ones here are. For some reason they forget that the reason we are up and out in the cold that early instead of sleeping in is to buy their merchandise. Don't know about your situation but I know that from a shopper's point of view, we would appreciate a smile and a kind word when we ask a simple question..."Can I put items in layaway early and pick them up on bf for the sale prices?" response..."Why are you even asking that now?It is still a month away? Isn't it a little early to even be worrying about that?" That said, I feel better, lol, have a happy BF!!!:howdy:

Its a Crazy Madhouse. I've worked BF at Walmart before and I know what its like...I'm glad I now get to shop instead. But its the "crazys" that keep shopping that keep the people that are working with JOBS. If we took our $$$ somewhere else you wouldn't have a job.

I have worked at KB Toys and Radio Shack on BF. I work 6 of them at Radio Shack so I defently can relate, if only a little, to the OP. That said its all about the employee attitude. If you put on a smile you will receive one in return. Yes you will get the jerk screaming that they were "in line for 3 hours and you don't have the one item I was looking for" but everyone has bad days. You politely tell the costumer you are sorry and try to help them with something. Most of the time they just need to vent but end up walking away with a smile and some other "junk."

As for the "junk." I have not bought much on BF for my kids that I thought would last. If WM paid $6 and is charging $20 during earlybird hours I will go get it and expect a $20 machine. I know its junk but at least I am not paying $30 for it like I would if I had waited 4 hours. I bought a "junk" trampoline from Walmart 2 years ago and my kids still jump in it everyday. I paid almost $300 for it. The price went up $100 after early bird hours. So I saved money and got something my kids loved.

Do you really think all the people that shop BF are jerks? Maybe they are just feeding off the attitude you have. Be a jerk to me and I will be one to you, be nice to me and I will return the favor. I think you just need to change your attitude and have some coffee.

I also am very nice to cashiers since I worked at Food World for 3 years during Black Friday, Thanksgiving, threats of snow in a southern state ;-) But you just have to realize that this one day will be rough and just make the best of it. The one thing that isn't gonna help anything is being all negative and going in with a horrible attitude on that day. I really don't understand what even attracted someone like you to this board in the first place....;)

Yes, you are not the only one who has worked retail on BF. MAny of us have. I am fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom now, but I have done my time. Hubby is still doing his! We cope, and move on.

SAME HERE!! I worked many BFs when I worked retail, and am now a stay at home mom. And my husband too is still working retail ( he's a store manager as was I and we dealt with the worst people)!!! B/c when there was a major problem it got passed to us!! We are the ones that had to deal with those crazy customers that were screaming or making a big scene!! But the thing about it is that I had to deal with it ALL DURING THE YEAR!! Not just on BF!! The customers that are willing to act like that usually pitch fits all through the year. Some people just have no class!! But BF isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I am pregnant and willing to go out this year b/c in my experience I have never dealt with all the pushing, hitting, and things like that. And as for the junk statement, most of it is JUNK...EVEN THE EXPENSIVE STUFF!! So, "I would rather buy a $19.99 DVD player for someone that they can get a period of time use for instead of buying something that they can't of won't use and them get NO USE out of it!! No offense, butI'm on a limited budget. I can only spend around $20 on most people, except for my family. And Christmas is supposed to be about the thought!! People don't have to spend alot of money on me, that's not what Christmas is really about!! And yes, working retail is a pain in the butt, but the truth of it is that ALL JOBS HAVE THEIR CRAP!! There is no job that doesn't come with a bunch of :shitfan:

Well said Supermommy! Hey, you are about an hour away from me by hwy 53! I go up your way when heading to chattanooga. Small world!

You go by Hwy 53? lol Why not the interstate? Sorry, I'm always in a hurry to get where I'm going. TI'm in ATL ALL the time!! My daughter is severly disabled so she is in ATL all the time for doctors. Mostly all her docs are at Scottish Rite (off 285).

Yes Troll,

As a matter of fact it IS fun!

I absolutely loved BF when I was working wally world.

Now that I get to shop on BF instead, it's even that much more fun.

If you think it's so horrible, and can't deal with PEOPLE, perhaps you're in the wrong line of work!

I have worked at a couple of different retail stores during the holidays and its bad, but not horrible. The worse part is when you have the clean up after the mob has left. The store is usually torn apart!

The first Black Friday I ever worked was when I worked at Goody's and I had to be at work at 5:30am but I was so nervous about how bad it was going to be that I got there at 4:30am (management was there setting up) because I couldn't sleep!

Much patience you must have! Or Sanity you shall lose!

Why this person thinks so badly of retail..yet stays in it is a mystery to me...if the same attitude portrayed on here is portrayed in a job interview...all I can say is......you are dang lucky to have a job at all....regardless of where it is. I have worked at Walmart, Fasmily Toy Warehouse, Ames and Gabriel Brothers on BF..and I can tell you......the majority of the problem usually falls on the shoulder of the EMPLOYEE. In today's world....people think they have no obligation to be decent, respectful people, I have had 18 year old, gum snapping, nasty mouthed, lazy kids working and treating people as if they were dirt on their shoe....and I have had wise, kind and respectful adults who know how to behave working.....which one do you think I let stay more than the trial period???

I LOVE shopping BF....but I usually hit one or two and go home..the traffic alone is a nightmare...and the thing that probably bugs me the most is simple greed..I often wonder exactly how much of these items are returned before New Years. Remember..you may WORK there...but WE pay your salary by simply PURCHASING the JUNK you so destain. I'd advise an attitude adjustment.....everyone knows you are gonna have rude and nasty customers.....thats why it is customer service......your JOB is to make them happy...even if it kills you to do so.

Guest Luckycharm

Is anyone out there know what its really like to work on Black Friday ?

Anyone know what kind for hell it is for us. I have worked for over 6 years in retail . Must of the the time i like it allot but that day is a living hell. Everyone thinks it fun and games for us. Its far from it. The weeks we have to get ready for it. We get ready getting ready for it. Only getting one day a week that week and thats it. We just love getting yelled out called names , A@#$Holes trying to hit us. Yes i have been hit by customers for not having the item in stock! sound like fun yet ? well ?

Try thinking of the sales staff in the store for once not the $30.00 bucks you think your saving on that DVD player for $19.99 . Heres a little clue folks . Its junk 19.99 DVD player is JUNK. The store paid ed maybe $6.00 for them and selling therm to you for $19.99. Think about it for a min . Look at this " A 51 inch Magnavox TV News flash folks ITS JUNK it . Or even better yet a Sylvania in TV for $149.99 Wows sounds great NOT MORE junk Wake up world and see what your doing to yourself and the junk your buying And most of all

BE NICE TO THE SALES STAFF. PUT YOURSELF IN THERE PLACE LOOK AROUND AND SEE ALL THE SHIT WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH SEE IF YOU THINK ITS FUN. We are being made to work if we do not we have no jobs.

I know allot of you are going to write back saying I need to relax or get a better job . I love to get out of retail but there is no real jobs out there if you have not seen yourself . IF you do not like what I have said . I can say " I can careless what you think or feel , I know you do not care about my feels so deal with it

Maybe if you learned some spelling and punctuation the door would open up for you and you could step outta the retail world into a small cubicle doing telephone solicitation Doll. :lolrun:

Guest DigDoug
This guy has one post so I won't waste my time. If you don't like working in retail, find another job. With your attitude, I bet you're just as much part of the problem. I bet customers won't find a smile on your face ever.

Guest Frieked

I just can't resist flamebait... :flame:

Hey buddy, maybe if you had some basic spelling and grammar abilities that would help you get another job.

Guest DigDoug

I just can't resist flamebait... :flame:

Hey buddy, maybe if you had some basic spelling and grammar abilities that would help you get another job.

QFT - Quoted for truth. :)

Guest Deals4Me

Here's another hint buddy, if you hate retail that much, go get a degree from a law school. We could always use more ambulance-ahole chasers. THEN with degree in hand, you wont have to work retail.

But to be frank, I wouldnt hire you unless the spelling and grammer drastically improved. I is capitalized always, and allot is spelled alot. ;)