Putting up Christmas lights...

carone0318

Anybody else who lives up North (well, not that north, but I'm in New Jersey) thinking of putting up their Christmas lights this weekend outside. I was thinking about it because it is suppose to be like 70 degrees and I hate to put up the lights when it is cold out, dh doesn't really help it all falls on me. I might put them on my tree and shrubs in the front, but I don't turn them on until Thanksgiving weekend! Will I look like a nut?:jester:

Will I look like a nut?

NO...we do the same thing. My husband don't like getting on top of the house to put up the icicle lights when there is snow on the roof...so we do it while it's still a little warm out, but don't turn them on 'til Thanksgiving weekend too!!

A friend of mine always starts the 1st week of November, but then again he does have a million lights (literally).

It's funny, we drive through his neighborhood every year to see the lights, and each year, everyone in the neighborhood competes with each other to see who can put up the most extravegant display.

Last year they got together and built lighted archways to go across the street.

A friend of mine always starts the 1st week of November, but then again he does have a million lights (literally).

It's funny, we drive through his neighborhood every year to see the lights, and each year, everyone in the neighborhood competes with each other to see who can put up the most extravegant display.

Last year they got together and built lighted archways to go across the street.

oh that sounds beautiful! we've seen the archways in people's yards but not all the way across the street! Neat!

Guest all2tired
My hubby puts ours up on BF. Our town ordinance though makes everybody take them down by the end of January or you get fined for each day they are still up

This past weekend, DW and I went through each strand (both indoors and outdoors) replacing bulbs and throwing out strands that we couldn't get to work.

Only have to replace 10 this year! :holiday10

I did notice a few people putting their's up already, but no one has turned them on yet.

<edited to give proper credit to DW> :D

Well I did it. I was out there on Sat in my t-shirt and sweatpants putting the lights on the shrubs. I also will put candy canes along the walkway to our door that light up, but I will do that Thanksgiving weekend, they don't take long and I can keep my gloves on when I do that if necessary. I did see people looking at me, but instead of thinking that they thought I was a freak, I bought into the thought that they were looking at me like, hey what a great idea :tongue1:

Anybody else who lives up North (well, not that north, but I'm in New Jersey) thinking of putting up their Christmas lights this weekend outside. I was thinking about it because it is suppose to be like 70 degrees and I hate to put up the lights when it is cold out, dh doesn't really help it all falls on me. I might put them on my tree and shrubs in the front, but I don't turn them on until Thanksgiving weekend! Will I look like a nut?:jester:

no i've heard of people doing that, makes it easier

Yep...one of the most "discussed" topics in our house since last week. :2bat: Last year I waited per hubby only to come home one afternoon to see he started and of course, got flubbered way before agreed time.....you know putting the wrong end up in the tree and having to take them down and redo (I might add several times, same mistake) and then the lighted figures...oh my gosh...we had to run so many drop cords because lack of good/thought out/ spacing we kept throwing breakers!! It got to the point that we had a choice between lights outside and TV or lights outside and dinner, anything more kept us running to the box!! :rotflol:

This year, I will do the lawn decorating and then let him do the bottom of the outside trees so that they will be right! (before agreed time) LOL

Heck NO it dont make you a nut....I live in Indiana & it is only 50degrees & it is after noon here....You might have givin me a great idea....dunno if my husband will think so...but hey....he wont care if I tell him that he has to do it later in the freezin cold then.....:D .... You GO GIRL!.....lol

we have a neighbor that fit the classic Discover commercial last year, everytime we left and came back, he had something new and evidently per another neighbor, you know how they talk, we were informed that we would be out done this year!

This morning I noticed the first neighbor allready had lights on his house and in the bushes but not on yet.

we have those new snow globes and some other stuff we had collected to add to last years stuff.:clapping:

:2drunk: We don't do it to compete, we do it because we can and want to! I guess he does it for his reason. Mind you, this Halloween he did not pass out candy :(

my inlaws are putting their lights up this weekend (Upstate NY). Since we live in the "deep south" we don't have to put them up until we're ready, usually on Thanksgiving.

I also live in upstate NY and I'll be honest, I've never thought about doing it when there isn't a foot of snow outide and it's -5 outside!!! What have I been thinking about???? Any guesses what I'll be doing this week???:D