Mail in Rebates- Love em or hate em?

Ladybug Mom

Personally I hate them! Only because I can't use them living in Canada! We even have a PO Box in the US but they won't even mail them to those!

So what does everyone else think do you like getting those cheques in the mail after Christmas, or would you rather the stores just give you the bargain upfront?

Cara

I think everyone would just rather have the discounts up front. However, I still like mail-in rebates, because usually you get a bigger discount that way than you would with an instant rebate for the same product (just look at free after rebate stuff, for example).

-Mark-

i love them as long as i get them. there was one i didn't get last year, but it was a soyo rebate... so who knows.

You're not the only one who didn't get the SOYO rebate. Alot of filed a complaint against SOYO. Avoid them as much as possible.

As for rebates, I don't mind. I got them pretty fast year. Office Max took the longest.

Ladybug Mom, they have Black Friday in Canada?? I thought you have Boxing Day and it's on different date than USA.

I absolutely hate them.Usually if a store has them, I don't shop there. Either give me the discount now or I shop elsewhere. Period. Some of us cann't wait 4-6 weeks for our money back

I'm the same way, if you want to give me a discount, I want it upfront!

Good thing others dont feel that way, my employer processes rebates for various companies:gd_opera:

Ladybug Mom, they have Black Friday in Canada?? I thought you have Boxing Day and it's on different date than USA.

No BF in Canada, we make the trek to Maine every year! You're correct we do have Boxing Day it's Dec 26th, I always tell DH if he can't find me anything on sale to just wait for the Boxing Day sales. I NEVER EVER pay full price for anything!

Guest Deals4Me

You're right, companies are counting on those to buy and forget rebates.

THATS why I have a glovebox full of envelopes with stamps on, already return adressed, and a pen to fill out the form, unless its menards, or someone else's whom I cant get the rebates till I buy, like say its a form I found, the envelope is ALREADY labled and ready and waiting for the upc, reciept and whatever else!

No BF in Canada, we make the trek to Maine every year! You're correct we do have Boxing Day it's Dec 26th, I always tell DH if he can't find me anything on sale to just wait for the Boxing Day sales. I NEVER EVER pay full price for anything!

Now you're a hardcore shopper. :g_thumbri

You're right, companies are counting on those to buy and forget rebates.

THATS why I have a glovebox full of envelopes with stamps on, already return adressed, and a pen to fill out the form, unless its menards, or someone else's whom I cant get the rebates till I buy, like say its a form I found, the envelope is ALREADY labled and ready and waiting for the upc, reciept and whatever else!

make sure you make photocopies of everything you submit. when i do my rebates, i even photocopy the envelope (postage by a postage meter so it stamps the date on there) so they can't even argue that i didn't make the postmark date. plus it verifies i sent it to the correct address.

I agree that if the rebate were an instant discount instead, it wouldn't be as good. Yes, the companies plan on MOST people either forgetting to send them in or doing them wrong, so the rebate can be rejected, and the company won't have to pay. Also, the stores sometimes use those products as lost leaders, hoping that WHILE YOU'RE IN THE STORE, you will pick up other stuff that they make a decent profit on.

I love FAR stuff. I have only once gotten denied that I couldn't re-submit. (two rebates for the same thing with different addresses, but I got snagged and only got one of them.)

I've gotten so much really good stuff with rebates. I just have trained myself to be really diligent about them. You will frequently find me in the afternoon of BF filling out rebate forms and envelopes. I also stock up on stamps the week before so I don't run out of them and then forget. (although now that the P.O. is open til 7PM, I can even run out in the evening to get more.)

Guest Deals4Me

make sure you make photocopies of everything you submit. when i do my rebates, i even photocopy the envelope (postage by a postage meter so it stamps the date on there) so they can't even argue that i didn't make the postmark date. plus it verifies i sent it to the correct address.

Good point, I use my fax machine for that purpose! And the best part of the fax machine? I got it free when someone threw it out!

For me, if it isn't an INSTANT rebate meaning I get the savings on the spot, then I will usually not buy that product and look for it elsewhere where I may get the deal or better one. To get a rebate in the mail 12 weeks later is crazy. It doesn't take them 12 weeks to take it off of my credit card so why should I wait 12 weeks for them to send me a check back...that is so crazy sometimes mail in rebates are more trouble than what they are worth...just my $0.02 worth.