Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2005-06

Gator Pam

First post....LOVE this site!! I was at Target tonight and wandered into woman's clothes. I bought one daughter a tan leather jacket for $12.50 (orig $99) and another DD a black jacket ...looks & feels just like leather but not...for $7.50 (orig. $30).

Not clearance but bought a Hometics cushion type back massager which was a 'special purchase' for $19.99 and got a $5.00 gift card.

Hello all, have been reading this thread for several days and decided to check out the perimeters of my target this am. There were some clearance items on the endcaps but the ones I might have been interested in were usually only 25% off max.

Then I got excited because I saw some clearance items marked "as is" and I remembered one poster said these are usually the best, there was some sort of motorcycle seat thingy with a screen for a small child and someone had written in marker on the box (which was taped back together) that it was an internet return. So the price? only about 25% off original. Very disappointing.

Oh, I did see some gibson instruments, clarinets and trumpets at the end of the soap and lotion isle, but they were less than 25% off.

Oh well, I did buy some clothes for me;)

I won't give up though, maybe after christmas, I'll find some better deals.

hey gator pam, now that I am a target bargain shopper ;) , I did notice several target employees with those gun looking scanners doing something in the aisles, do you think they were looking for things to mark clearance?

Not any good clearance deals today but I did get some Pirates of the Carribean Dead Man's Chest action figures. They were on sale for $2.99 each reg. price was $6.99 [i think]. I picked up three and then decided I wanted more and went back. All gone that quickly.

Not any good clearance deals today but I did get some Pirates of the Carribean Dead Man's Chest action figures. They were on sale for $2.99 each reg. price was $6.99 [i think]. I picked up three and then decided I wanted more and went back. All gone that quickly.

those were a great deal...my target didn't have many (I think I only got 1 there), but I got walmart to price match and bought 3 more.

hey gator pam, now that I am a target bargain shopper ;) , I did notice several target employees with those gun looking scanners doing something in the aisles, do you think they were looking for things to mark clearance?

Welcome to the thread, chwk!

I would say the answer to your question is 'not necessarily.' The LRT/PDT scan gun (I always forget which acronym to use) is also used to take inventory. The way I usually tell which associates are marking things down is that they also usually have a small device that prints out the orange clearance stickers along with the LRT/PDT. Most times they use a shopping cart to put the device in (and occasionally to claim clearance items for themselves).

I went in today, and found a few things on sale for a good price, but I was a big girl and put them all back.

I did hear the manager radio the toy manager to ask about a certain race track. He asked if they sold well, and if it was something they could use for 'next week's thing'. I didn't know if it was an inhouse special, or if each store can select it's own in-store sales? I didn't catch the name of the race track, but the toy guy said they had only sold 2 all week.

First off...thanks to all of you and these great deals! Still have fingers crossed a VSmile and DS game sale will pop up! Every year, I promise myself that I will save enought for after Christmas sales...never do! But our target last year, had 3 aisles of the "had to have" toys on serious discount. (mid to late January) May not get me a headstart on next Christmas, but with 8 nieces and nephews, 2 children, etc...at least I can get a jump on Birthdays!

First off...thanks to all of you and these great deals! Still have fingers crossed a VSmile and DS game sale will pop up! Every year, I promise myself that I will save enought for after Christmas sales...never do! But our target last year, had 3 aisles of the "had to have" toys on serious discount. (mid to late January) May not get me a headstart on next Christmas, but with 8 nieces and nephews, 2 children, etc...at least I can get a jump on Birthdays!

Welcome to the GottaDeal forums, spwalkhen! We're honored you chose this thread for your first post.

If you go into the 2005 Black Friday archives, you'll that the big Target toy clearance in January 2006 was being discussed as the last active thread in that forum before it was closed.

Hi Everyone.

Finally some decent markdowns. I got a Thanksgiving apron for $1.98. Two pairs of pro spirit jogging pants maked down from $19.99 to $3.74 and a great fleeece Jacket plum colored marked down from $24.99 to $4.98. The last item was in the women's dept. but it ran very small. I do not know if it was marked down because we live in S. Fl. and it is not as cold as other parts of the country. I also got a pair of Gillian O'Mallet pjs marked down from $24.99 to $11.49.

I hope you all find such great deals soon.

How did you get WM to price match these?

I took the Target ad to customer service, and asked if they would price match the ad for the 2.99 price. She said no problem....and the best part was I could avoid the long WM lines and there was no one else but me at customer service.

Hi everyone! I found this thread through a URL that was posted on a Target-related blog. After reading through all 88 pages, I decided to join.

I actually work at Target and have worked there for roughly 1 year and 6 months. I work there 5 days a week. I'm a salesfloor team member (you know, the ones that help the guests, put stuff away, and fix up the store to make it look pretty). I typically work in the HBA department (which includes health and beauty, wellness, cleaning supplies and pets) or the electronics department (which includes electronics, books, movies, music, luggage, hardware, and automotive) although my managers put me in the other departments when they need me there. Because I'm there more often than the average customer, I get to see what goes on clearance and even occasionally get a heads up on when seasonal items will go lower in price.

First of all, I've read some posts in this thread about how clearance items aren't coming up on price scanners when you put the DPCI number in. This is because clearance items are usually located on clearance endcaps and not in actual aisles. It won't tell you where to find these items. Also, 99% of clearance items show "In Stock: No" on the scanners because clearance items are supposed to be on the floor, not in the backroom. The only real exception to this is if we have palettes of the same clearance item in the backroom but there are plenty of the same item on clearance endcaps on the salesfloor. Also, items that don't have a salesfloor location (meaning they don't have room on the shelf for the item and can only be pulled from the backroom) may be kept in the backroom. This generally includes some furniture and some tvs.

Second, I only cashier if they need backup but I have come across a few salvage items that people try to buy. My store is pretty good with getting rid of salvage items but it is extremely difficult to get rid of ALL of it. So what I do when someone wants to purchase a salvage item that is coming up "$0.00" is I scan the item with my PDA and mark it 75% off the original price for non-seasonal items or 90% for seasonal items (meaning Christmas, Valentine's Day, Halloween, etc.). If a guest lies to me about the price (and I can tell if they are.. I know the general prices of items we carry), I will put it under my register and tell you that it's not for sale. It isn't the fact that we're not SUPPOSED to sell it that makes me do this. After all, salvage items are not in the system and I could potentially sell even the most expensive salvage item for .01. I just don't like liars who try to "beat the system". Just a heads up for people who try to do this. Not all cashiers are like me but there are quite a few especially where I work who don't like to be disrespected.

Also, I've noticed some people ranting about how employees get all the good deals. Can I just say that this is not illegal nor wrong (imo)? Salesfloor team members constantly have carts with them that they use for actual working purposes. If I throw in a bottle of shampoo that I want to buy later and a couple of good clearance deals but don't pay for it while I'm on the clock, why does it matter? We're customers too after all. I actually remember last year during the after Christmas toy sale, one of my managers put a whole cartful of toys aside for herself and paid for it later while she was on her break. Actually, every night, 15 minutes before we close, our manager tells us to run and do some last minute shopping (while on the clock) before the registers close. If my managers think this is ok, I'm not worried about it. One good thing about working for Target is knowing about good deals before anyone else. Does that mean I can't partake in these deals just because I work there?

Ok now about these deals you guys want some information on. Do you only want to know about the 75 or 90% off clearance items or do you want to know about the 30% off ones as well? Also, do you prefer certain items over others? Would you prefer to hear about toy deals rather than cosmetic deals? Would you like DPCIs? I'm willing to help if that means we'll get rid of a lot of it. I actually hate clearance because it's always a mess. I go to work tomorrow and I can let you guys know about some good deals if you want.

One more thing.. I know you guys generally perimeter peruse for clearance items but there are also some regular price items on back endcaps that are well-priced. Generally, back endcaps don't get shopped too often and my store puts potentially popular items and bonus items on these endcaps because if they were on front endcaps, they'd disappear quickly and the shelves would look bare. So check back endcaps for bonus deals while you're perusing clearance endcaps.

HTH.

Welcome to the thread, chwk!

I would say the answer to your question is 'not necessarily.' The LRT/PDT scan gun (I always forget which acronym to use) is also used to take inventory. The way I usually tell which associates are marking things down is that they also usually have a small device that prints out the orange clearance stickers along with the LRT/PDT. Most times they use a shopping cart to put the device in (and occasionally to claim clearance items for themselves).

Thanks gator Pam, that makes sense:)

thank you childofsolitude....:) I am heading out in the am (hoping there is no school delay we are getting snow here) I have something I have to get and I am going to check out the end caps while I am there. Last time all I really seen were xbox games but they were all a little to mature from my 8yr old. Hope I find some deals this time keeping my fingers crossed...

To: childofsolitude

I think that you and I will be new best friends!!;) If you find out any 75% deals of women clothes or toys can you please let us know plus the dcpi. I'll even tell Santa that you were nice and to give you lots of present!!!

Ditto that from me! :fluffy:

I did so well when the worker from Old Navy gave us the heads up on Clearance. I would love to get the heads up from a Target employee.

Childofsolitude....:2welcome: :2welcome: I think you will definately be an asset to our little Target community! I worked in Target a very long time ago (early 90's) and I too dealt with the " employees get all the good deals" I just shrugged it off.....Anyway, hope to see more post from you! Hey ya I just noticed your in Fl....where abouts ? (if you dont mind saying...) I am in Satellite Beach!

Childofsolitude....:2welcome: :2welcome: I think you will definately be an asset to our little Target community! I worked in Target a very long time ago (early 90's) and I too dealt with the " employees get all the good deals" I just shrugged it off.....Anyway, hope to see more post from you! Hey ya I just noticed your in Fl....where abouts ? (if you dont mind saying...) I am in Satellite Beach!

I don't want to say exactly where I live because the Target gods will come find me if I did that. However, I will say that I live in the Tampa area.

blssed2bme-I usually don't work in the clothing area so I'm afraid I can't be much help there (so sorry) but I'll check on the toys tomorrow.

Welcome, welcome. How nice that this thread is the reason you joined the forums. :)

I pretty much am usually only interested in clearance when it goes 75% off or higher, but I do like to know what items hit 50% off so I can start watching them for the 75% off. My main interests are small appliances and domestics, with the occasional bar-be-cue grill or garden item thrown into the mix.

May I ask what Target related blog mentions GottaDeal?

Welcome, welcome. How nice that this thread is the reason you joined the forums. :)

I pretty much am usually only interested in clearance when it goes 75% off or higher, but I do like to know what items hit 50% off so I can start watching them for the 75% off. My main interests are small appliances and domestics, with the occasional bar-be-cue grill or garden item thrown into the mix.

May I ask what Target related blog mentions GottaDeal?

Ok. I'll check those departments tomorrow.

The name of the blog that mentions GottaDeal is called Target Culture (I'd post a link but it won't let me. Just google "Target Culture" if you're interested.)

I went the other night and found some X-box (older) games like Harry Potter for $4.98.

Childofsolitude - I am fine with Target employees getting the deals too, beleive me if I worked there I would be doing the same. There has a been a couple times I found a good deal and a cashier would ask me if there was anymore, I even went to the aisle to get them stuff.