Black Friday shopping tradition under attack?

bigjimslade

Black Friday shopping tradition under attack?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Black Friday shopping tradition under attack?

This has come up between vet BF shoppers on Gottadeal and I would like to throw this question out and see what everyone else thinks.

Read the news story below:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/malled/2010/10/05/black-friday-shopping-tradition-under-attack/

After that vote and post your comments. I am currious in hearing what everybody thinks.

For me I think BF has changed alot in the last 5 years. You have to camp out longer or stay at home and try online.

I don't think BF is under attack only the tradition of physically going to stores. I hope there will be less people out and about. I personally don't get a kick out of shopping and would do even my groceries online if it was offered with free shipping like they did in England. I would consider camping out (a little more) if it were the case and something I want is on sale.

It would be nice to have great deals all through the holiday and not just on one day. I loved shopping at Circuit City online on Thanksgiving morning and getting all the great deals, though, and not having to deal with the people there. I thing they were one of the most unorganized stores on BF. I agree, it has changed a lot. Stores now opening at midnight, lines getting longer, people getting crazier. I think the last two have a lot to do with the economy, but what happened to the Christmas Spirit. When did we get into an "I want it all" mentality and are not happy unless we have tons of stuff under the tree that get played with one or two times. Sorry ranting. I, unfortunately, will have to do most of my shopping on line this year, and it will be smaller, due to me fracturing my ankle. I am probably looking at ankle fusion just in time for the holidays:(. I will miss hitting a few of my favorite stores, though.

The deals haven't been there. If I didn't have to run the site on BF, I still wouldn't have gone out early for any of the deals. The deals available online the weeks leading up to BF (and the weeks after BF) have been great without the hassle.

Especially when you have Amazon matching many of the top B&M BF deals, there becomes less of a reason to go out except for the "tradition" of being out with the crowds.

The deals haven't been there. If I didn't have to run the site on BF, I still wouldn't have gone out early for any of the deals. The deals available online the weeks leading up to BF (and the weeks after BF) have been great without the hassle.

Especially when you have Amazon matching many of the top B&M BF deals, there becomes less of a reason to go out except for the "tradition" of being out with the crowds.

I agree!

Well I'm hoping it'll be a wash. More people shopping online = less people at the store.

Personally I'd like the best of both worlds. Will probably be getting a few items online and still go out to the stores.

exactly

the less I have to tote out of the store the better, lol. If it wasnt for online shopping my choices would be very limiting.

So much of shopping for me is the physical aspect... feeling the items, knowing they are securely under thumb, examining and evaluating the quality of the product... that unless it's an electronic or something I have already seen in person, I don't really like shopping online. I wish I could combine the best of both worlds and price comparison shop while in the store with a droid or iphone!

I personally think that the "traditional" idea of Black Friday shopping has been under attack for awhile on several different fronts:

1. Agree with Brad...the pre- and post- BF sales can be just as good as the BF deals.

2. The stores themselves...KM and Shopko both being open on Thanksgiving, Outlet malls opening at midnight, and it seems that every year store's opening times are creeping earlier and earlier. Not to mention 24 hour stores that will let you "shop" but just don't open up the registers until "the time."

3. No offense intended...but the whole "camper" thing. I know some people make it a family event, but there's no way I would spend 2+ days at BB. But with all those that will, it just means that BB isn't on my list at all that morning, as I wouldn't stand a chance. I'm sorry, but my time is more valuable than that.

4. Online ordering. I've had a lot more success buying online, even during doorbuster hours, than in the stores. It's great living in the mountain time zone, the doorbusters start early enough that I can snag them and then still make it to a store early to try and snag the ones I couldn't get online.

Overall, I think this has affected the "quality" of the deals that we've seen over the past couple of years in addition to the sour economy.

I find the BF "experience" sort of jump starts the whole holiday season for me. It is more than just buying an item. It's pyschological. I got up early, stood in line to buy something someone I love really wanted...and hopefully cheap. You can't get that on-line. I go with friends and talk to strangers. After we are all done, we go out to breakfast, go home and take a nap. It's more than the purchase for some of us.

I find the BF "experience" sort of jump starts the whole holiday season for me. It is more than just buying an item. It's pyschological. I got up early, stood in line to buy something someone I love really wanted...and hopefully cheap. You can't get that on-line. I go with friends and talk to strangers. After we are all done, we go out to breakfast, go home and take a nap. It's more than the purchase for some of us.

Thank you for your uplifting story, which helps us to understand the true nature of the shopping spirit, which some have unfortunately lost here. It is extremely saddening that many have chosen to view online shopping as a deal breaker. I believe it is just the opposite. I can have my cake and eat it too, as I shop online while at the event. A disturbing trend which is very evident is the inability of online retailers to properly stock items, and the subsequent cancellations that result. At least 40 percent of hot items that were recently ordered (verified in stock, and debited) were canceled with excuses ranging from out of stock, improper price error, or my new favorite, "You attempted to change the shipping terms, so we canceled the order". The last one was later changed to "out of stock" when they were caught in an outright lie.:eyepoppin

It always seems to be a mixed bag, either online is bad, or at the store. Last year, the Best Buy was so bad, it left me in such a state that I didn't rest until both managers were sent packing. That glorious news came this week. The second bad manager took a while to get uprooted, but justice prevails. the new manager will be in place in two weeks, and the corporate ethics exec will be watching this store very closely. When you commit to a plan of execution that is a year in the making, you tend to take the experience quite seriously.

I think alot of people go out for the tradition mostly. I know that even if I have to take my laptop and order stuff online, I will still go out BF. It is the only day that my bff and I get to go out with no kids and stay as long as we want. It is a day that we go just to have a good time..of course the deals are a good plus!

I just started shopping on Black Friday four years ago, so I have to take people's word that it was different before then. In those four years I have found some very good deals in stores and also increasingly find deals online. I have never literally camped out and don't see deals that I think are worth doing that. On the other hand some of the deals (or the cumulative value of the deals I get that morning) are worth it to me, but others would see that differently. It is at least half for the "adventure" and newfound tradition of going out for me.

Another change is that the price of electronics steadily falls, so 40% off the "regular" price of something that used to cost $1,000 isn't as big anymore when the price of a similar item has fallen to, say, $400. (Think of the digital camera, computer, laptop, or TV that you could get for $500 ten years ago compared to what the equivalent item costs today.)

On the other hand, no matter the statistics (they cite a change of 10 percent just from last year, which is significant), there will be big crowds of people out waiting in line and vying for deals, so it will still be "Black Friday" for those of us who will be out there with them.

I tend to agree with the traditionalist shoppers. I love getting the deals on BF - but those seem underwhelming the past few years. I am spoiled by the great deals that I find all year long on gottadeal.com!! I snatch up what I can and what I need on BF but for the most part I'm on the hunt shopping for the holidays a bit before BF and several weeks after. BF really kicks off the shopping season for me and says "Welcome Christmas". I love the family traditions that we have picked up along the way and it really feels like the actual shopping that was once the goal has become almost secondary. I love the day out with my family, my DH takes the day off, and it's become a holiday in it's own rite.

So much of shopping for me is the physical aspect... feeling the items, knowing they are securely under thumb, examining and evaluating the quality of the product... that unless it's an electronic or something I have already seen in person, I don't really like shopping online. I wish I could combine the best of both worlds and price comparison shop while in the store with a droid or iphone!

I feel the same way. It's also instant gratification, online shopping can't give you that.

Edited by Hazmina

I don't think that 'black friday tradition' is under attack. I think the holiday spirit is! More people are staying home and on-line shopping more. not because of the crazy on line deals, but because of the mentality of some of the people out there that have now begun to shop... cheaters, liers, theifs, scalpers, pushing, trampling... :mad: etc. People have been acting worse and worse every year. I don't mind camping out, I LOVE it. Its always fun to meet new people who don't think that sitting in line for 12+ hours is crazy. I mind the jerk o**$. Its called common courtesy. most people don't have it anymore. Most people will stay home and shop in their jammies to avoid getting stampeeded by the mobs of rude (warm) people who just jumped out of their cars!

This year I will be doing the online shopping routine again. Last year I was heavily pregnant and this year I have no babysitter option that would not disrupt our son's routine but still allow us to get out in the wee hours of the morning. :( I am happy to hear that the online deals may be really good! That could work well for us. DH and I have always enjoyed shopping together on BF - making it an event - "hiding" the things we get for each other - going out to breakfast, etc. I would like for us to be able to do that again - but maybe next year. :)

I don't think that 'black friday tradition' is under attack. I think the holiday spirit is!

I totally agree with you Lusha120. There are too many rude impatient people out there trying to cheat the system. I don't know where the holiday spirit has gone, but I hope it comes back. I work hard to create holiday traditions in our small family and BF used to kick off those traditions...this year I'm not so sure.

I also agree that the whole experience is changing. I also get a large percentage of my gifts online for cheaper then BF prices. But regardless of if I'm looking for anything or not, I'll still be out there on BF. I enjoy the time out, its nice to get out of the house just my wife and I, without the kids. It always really jumpstarts the holiday mood for me, the season just wouldnt be the same with out it.

I tend to agree with most of the commenters here.. I don't think it's under attack, just changing.. with online shopping on the rise, companies are just trying to adapt to find a better way to drive sales to consumers who may not be able to get out on friday morning in the wee hours of the day. I know personally, a couple of the past BFs I wasn't able to attend due to a family emergency, still it was nice to be able to go online and get mostly what I wanted at the same price. Also, there is the fact that no matter how many BFs there are, some stores will just never get it together. Disorganized, Misinformed, and just generally lacking.. Sometimes its a pain in the posterior to go and visit these stores, when you can just load up a website in your undies and not have to worry about it (sorry for the disturbing mental image for some!) While I still think the truly "doorbuster" prices will always be for the B&M stores only, the majority of sales can now be found online, and usually at all times of the year, so naturally the crowds may be a bit thinner than in years past.

I agree with Brad. We live in a small town and while we've been camping out at various stores for decades, the way we've been doing BF has changed over the last couple of years.

First, the deals just haven't been compelling enough to sit for up to a day or longer at BB or wherever. Last year, Amazon was our first choice for BF shopping. By 4AM, we'd bought almost everything we'd been planning on, and with Prime, almost all of it was delivered on Saturday.

The, we leisurely went out to the baby mall that's in our town. Shopped the JCP and Belk's there much more awake, had no urgency to scoop the doorbusters because we'd been sitting outside for hours on end.....instead, walked, looked, bought as wanted. Much easier time and less stress in the end.

The deals haven't been there.

I used to drag my wife out to stand in line for an hour at Staples, get some stuff and then scoot over to OfficeMax or Office Depot. I did that for years... There were always plenty of loss-leaders to get you in the door and plenty of cheap electronics and office supplies that were free after rebate. And blow-out prices on hard drives.

Apparently, those deals from the office stores are long gone.

--------

Last year, I bought some stuff on Newegg and Amazon online. And the only store I went to on Black Friday was.... get ready for it.... this is going to blow you away.... PEP BOYS! They had a do-it-yourself oil change deal for $4.99 after rebate (5 quarts of Castrol plus a filter) and some blowout deals on wiper blades (after rebate) and free washer fluid if you bought the blades.

I drove out at 7 am, by myself, got my stuff, checked out and went home to pick up my wife and we then hit the clothing outlet mall (Philadelphia Premium Outlets). I was in Pep Boys for 10 minutes max...

I think Black Friday is a victim of its own success. It is so popular now that retailers know that people will come. They seem to be less inclined to have truly great deals anymore. I used to do almost all of my Christmas shopping on BF. I bought a few packs of rechargeable batteries last year. I probably won't buy anything this year as I feel that the deals just wont be there. I don't think online shopping will be any better because there is a huge problem with cancellations, but at least we will be able to avoid the flu spreading, cart stealing, face punching jerks that seem to think that being a moron is part of BF "tradition".