What to do for teachers? My son has several this year.

ilikefree

My younger son is in middle school this year and has 4 different teachers, not counting gym, art and band. I'm wondering what to do for them for Christmas. He has ADD and these teachers are very patient, kind and considerate toward him and I'd like to do something to thank them that doesn't cost a lot. I do make a couple different kinds of candy around Christmas time but am not much of a baker. Last year for his teachers (he didn't have as many teachers last year) I did a little Christmas themed bucket with a movie rental place gift card with a fleece blanket and some movie theater candies and microwave popcorn. I'd like to do something they'd appreciate and can use, but won't break the bank for me. Any ideas?

I have seen an idea somewhere before where you take a 2 Liter bottle and fill it w/things from the Dollar Store. I know the dollar stores around here have a lot of very useful things. They usually have candles and cute glasses and stuff like that. You could also look in the ABC Catalog they usually have some very cute stuff in there or Oriental Trade.

My boys are in 7th grade and they have 5 teachers and PE (there are 2 or 3 coachers in PE). So I don't know if we will be able to do anything or not for the teachers. One of the boys teachers is expecting so I am thinking about getting something for the baby for her.

My aunt always has great ideas for this kind of stuff. She has lots of people to buy for that require these kind of gift ideas - teachers, bus drivers, etc. The past few years she has been shopping after x-mas sales for the next year and done really well. That doesn't help you now I know - but a heads up for next year! She usually does some sort of themed basket build around a "real gift". Last year she got those BBW polar bear soap dispensers for next to nothing at the end of the year and she'll do something with them this year. Another year she got the BBW anti bac soap in "kitcheny" scents on a huge sale paid for with gift cards on a discount through her discover card points program and extra $10 off $30. They went in a basket with some kitchen hand towels she found really cute, an oven mitt and a few other cute items along with a some cookie recipes or other stuff in a dollar store basket. She has also done some clearance Yankee Candle votive holders from their big sale with candles in a gift basket but I don't remember what was in that.

Ask them what they need. My friend asked her teacher and found out that the teacher prints all the class flyers at home because she had surpassed the districts copy allotment. So, she bought her a couple of reams of paper and an ink cartridge for her home printer.

I'm a middle school teacher and I love it when I receive gifts for my classroom. I spend about $2000 per year out of my own pocket for my classroom, so every little bit helps! A $5 gift card to Wal-Mart or Staples and a nice note from the student/parent means the world to me. I use tons of Post It notes in my classroom and our system does not supply them. They are NOT cheap! A pack or two of those are also very much appreciated! I always keep my classroom stocked with paper, pencils, markers, etc so that students that can't afford them or forget them will have something to use without them having to make a scene that they don't have supplies. Those things would also make great gifts! If you prefer to give something that is not classroom related, a small ($5-10) giftcard to a local store or restaurant is also appreciated. I received a $5 giftcard to Starbucks last year. I do not drink coffee, but it bought me a nice piece of cheesecake while I sat and read at Barnes & Noble!

I promise, the teacher will appreciate anything at all you can give. We seldom receive gifts, so anything is a wonderful and appreciated surprise!

Amie

I am a teacher and seldom receive gifts. I received a clipboard, some pencils and a tablet one year that said teacher. I was ecstatic!! Something very simple such as a little basket of paperclips, pens, pencils, post-it notes and white-out would make me very happy. Teachers spend so much of their own money each year and small items such as those I listed help out a lot in the classroom. Some parents think that candles are nice but I am allergic and end up regifting or giving them away. Stay away from candles and scented items as many people are allergic. Gift Cards are always nice.

When my kids were in school (before we started to homeschool) we always gave the teachers gift cards to Borders and a card telling them how much we appreciated their hard work. I figured pretty much anyone could find something they like at Borders (music, movies, magazines, books, games, office supplies, etc.....) and the card added the personal touch. We gave all six teachers $20 gift cards, but I'm sure any amount at all would be appreciated.

My sons started rotating classes in 3rd grade, so I've had to buy for a minimum of 6 teachers each year plus I always buy for PE, library, computer, music and administration. Last year, I even bought for the cafeteria staff. So I try really hard to shop early and stretch my money.

I had this idea a couple of years ago, and it was a big hit. If you have a Michaels close by, they always carry a great selection of calendars for only a buck. Two years ago, they had M & M's calendars for $1, so I bought 18 calendars and a couple bags of snack size M & M's (If you can hit Walmart after Halloween, the candy will be 50% off and some of the M & M's will not have the Halloween theme printed on them, but you have to look). The bags of candy contained about 15 snack packs of M & M's, so two bags was all I needed. I used some pretty ribbon and tied the pack of M & M's onto the calendar, slightly cinching them in the center (kind of looked like a bow tie). Great bang for the buck and useful all year round!

If you're REALLY patient and have the time, you could even use the 40% coupons Michaels has in the Sunday paper to get the calendars for .60, but you can only use one per customer and my Michaels is pretty strict about their coupon policy. I didn't have the tenacity for that, but it would save you a little more moola.

Good Luck!

I am a teacher and seldom receive gifts. I received a clipboard, some pencils and a tablet one year that said teacher. I was ecstatic!! Something very simple such as a little basket of paperclips, pens, pencils, post-it notes and white-out would make me very happy. Teachers spend so much of their own money each year and small items such as those I listed help out a lot in the classroom. Some parents think that candles are nice but I am allergic and end up regifting or giving them away. Stay away from candles and scented items as many people are allergic. Gift Cards are always nice.

As a teacher, I'd 2nd this. It's a nice surprise to receive any present or card of appreciation. But, I'd also stay away from smelly things and chocolate.

(At the holidays, there's an abundance of that and some folks are allergic.)

But! small gift cards or office supplies are always nice.

(Small cause we're still grading your student's papers! Large gcs seem weird to me. Actually, I do an office/school supplies present in December and a personal present at the end-of-year.)

You'd be surprised how much teachers spend and on what. Post it notes. Reams of paper.

There are still some back to school sales now for folks who want to stock up.

I canned some bruschetta in a jar from my crop of tomatoes this summer. I'm planning on putting a jar of that, a loaf of french bread and maybe something else in a basket for my daughter's teacher. There is also an aide in her class in the morning and a different part time teacher in the afternoon. I figure I may do something a little smaller for them.

I've also heard of ones making hot cocoa mix with a mug, and giving it as gifts. And other mix recipes ready to make

I did that a couple of years- got a big cute Christmas mug (the ones that can double as a soup bowl) and put in an individual packet of flavored hot cocoa, gourmet coffee, and specialty tea, along with a chocolate covered stirring spoon. I tied it up with with a big pretty bow and celephane wrap(for baskets) in Christmas patterns . The cost was less than $5 each with the good deals I got. But I read somewhere that most teacher's didn't like getting mugs b/c they get so many of them.

Wow, there are some really great gift ideas in this thread! Especially the personalized ornaments!

If you are wanting to 'buy' a gift, I would lean towards the Walmart Gift Card - this allows the Teacher to either get: school supplies for their classroom, a gift for themselves, grocery items, or even gasoline (if you have a Walmart Gas Station, we do, I don't know if all do).

If you are wanting to 'buy' a gift, I would lean towards the Walmart Gift Card - this allows the Teacher to either get: school supplies for their classroom, a gift for themselves, grocery items, or even gasoline (if you have a Walmart Gas Station, we do, I don't know if all do).

I second this. As a teacher, Wal-Mart, Target, or similar store gift cards are GREATLY appreciated. Even $5.00 means the world to us! :) Or make up a little basket or box of supplies for the classroom. Unlike some though, I don't mind the figurines, teacher ornaments and things some people tend to buy for teachers. But I've only been teaching 2 years and haven't accumulated a vast collection of them. A simple bag of chocolate (My favorite is Dove) or homemade goodies (brownies, cookied) works too! :)

On the other hand, I don't use candles - they end up in my next yard sale. I don't go to the spa - so gift cards from one won't be used and are usually non-transferable. I don't use most scented lotions as I'm sensitive to the smells. I REALLy don't mean for this to sound rude, it's just the truth.... and I'm one of those "says what she thinks" types. :)

I second this. As a teacher, Wal-Mart, Target, or similar store gift cards are GREATLY appreciated. Even $5.00 means the world to us! :) Or make up a little basket or box of supplies for the classroom. Unlike some though, I don't mind the figurines, teacher ornaments and things some people tend to buy for teachers. But I've only been teaching 2 years and haven't accumulated a vast collection of them. A simple bag of chocolate (My favorite is Dove) or homemade goodies (brownies, cookied) works too! :)

On the other hand, I don't use candles - they end up in my next yard sale. I don't go to the spa - so gift cards from one won't be used and are usually non-transferable. I don't use most scented lotions as I'm sensitive to the smells. I REALLy don't mean for this to sound rude, it's just the truth.... and I'm one of those "says what she thinks" types. :)

Please, this is why I started this thread! I love hearing from teachers as to what works and what doesn't. Thanks for your input!

I agree that gift cards are nice so we can purchase supplies needed for the classroom. I have been teaching for 18 years and I do appreciate mugs and dish towels. However, over my tenure as a teacher I have probably received 50 mugs and probably that many dish towels, figurines and ornaments. Please don't misinterpret this post, I am very thankful for the gifts. I am easy to please, give me post-it-notes, paperclips, scotch tape, treats to help with the goody bags we give to the children at each holiday ( a bag of smarties or tootsie rolls). You would be surprised at the little things we are thankful for.

As of last year, the principal sent a letter home to all parents not allowing teacher gifts said they are going another route which I LOVE. Instead every classroom adopts 2 children (boy and girl) of the same age/grade that is in need. They ask we donate new items from their wish list. Each classroom makes their family a card, wraps the toys/clothes, etc. It's very nice. Our principal and the teacher delivery the gifts the week before christmas.

I stopped buying teacher gifts a while back. I had five in school at the same time and the older ones all had 6-8 teachers each. It is not feasible to buy that many teachers gift cards or whatever so I just send a card to each one. As the older two have graduated now, I just continue because it's easier than trying to figure out what each teacher likes and does not like. Anyway, it's the thought that counts, right, and I let each one know how much they are appreciated.