Share Your Stuffing Recipe With Me, PRETTY PLEASE!

tn20

I have never made homemade stuffing before. Usually stuffing is left up to my grandma. And when I make it for dinner, I use Stove Top. But my grandma won't be coming over for Thanksgiving this year and I really want to make a yummy homemade stuffing (maybe I should be calling it dressing, as we will not be stuffing it in the turkey).

Does anyone have a great stuffing/dressing recipe that they are willing to share?

i just wing it thinking what i would want it dressing one year i put apples and raisins in it

the last 2 years i have used day old bagels to cut up and use.i never use a recipe just wing it mostly cut up the bagels pour 2 cups or so of heated broth on it seasonings and stir together and bake just until heated thru

See, I am just completely clueless about this. What kinds of seasonings do you put in there? And how much of them? :confused:

I looked up some cranberry-apple stuffing recipes that sounded good to me, but the reviews were so mixed on them that I wasn't sure.

Have you tried asking your grandma for her recipe? I know some folks don't use an actual recipe for it, but maybe she'd at least be able to tell you approximately how much she uses of what ingredients...

Personally, I LOVE Stovetop stuffing! :)

What my mom does, though, is start off with Stovetop, then adds crumbled cornbread and/and regular bread (she freezes leftovers of them during the year just for this), some chopped celery (or celery seed, if she forgot to buy it or doesn't have enough), sometimes a little chopped onion, and quite a bit of sage. For the liquid part, she adds broth (either canned or homemade from boiling the turkey neck and giblets) until the mixture is basically the same consistency as Stovetop would be. Then she spreads it in a long baking dish and bakes it until it gets brown and a little crispy on top.

I think that's everything she uses... I've seen her make it for so many years, you'd think I'd know by now! LOL

my seasonings include salt pepper cumin(kind of spicy) red pepper flakes,onion powder if i have it

nobody eats it here just me this year i may go all out and make some sweet salty walnuts and put them in there along with whole cranberries. i also use small onions the green ones scallions i guess

head over to www.foodnetwork.com. There are some really good recipes over there. Anything from any of the celebrity chefs you know will be good!

I disagree with this...we've tried several recipes from food network's recipe bank and have disliked ALL of them. Granted, most were from Rachel Ray's collection....

BUT, they do have great reviews on them (which I saw afterwards ;)) so you should be able to find one that sounds good.

We normally just buy the big bags of them...what are they, Pepperidge Farms? It's a white bag with dark blue trim. We don't get the cubed kind.

My mom always makes hers by melting butter and cooking some celery and onions. Then adding the water, then the stuffing. I absolutely LOVE her stuffing and it's very simple. This year, I'll be using chicken stock instead of water.

I keep saying that one of these years I'm going to make it from scratch with day old cubed bread and such. The sausage stuffing recipes I've seen sound so good!

I cook a large bird, around 26 lbs. and stuff it. I have no recipe cause I go by taste. I dice up onions and celery, throw them in a pan, with a few tablespoons of butter, add sliced mushrooms and saute them all together. I tear up about three loaves of white bread (that have sat out overnight so they are a bit hard), then add the saute mixture to the bread, an egg, a can of chicken broth, a cup of hot water, salt, pepper, a good bunch of sage, a bit of garlic salt and then mix it all together real well and stuff my bird.

My family likes stuffing with sausage and a little apple in it. This is the recipe we use:

1 pound Bob Evans® Savory Sage or Original Recipe Sausage

1 large onion, diced

3 stalks celery, diced

1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced

1 (14 ounce) package cubed stuffing (seasoned dried bread cubes like Pepperidge Farm)

1 teaspoon poultry seasoning

3 1/2 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup melted butter

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat, crumble sausage. Add onion celery and apple and cook, stirring occasionally until sausage is brown. In a large bowl, place cubed stuffing. Add sausage mixture. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning. Pour broth and butter over the top and toss to combine. Grease bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish. Spoon mixture into baking dish; cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes or until desired doneness.

we call it dressing.

I don't have a exact recipe, but what I do is. Cook a pretty big iron skillet full of corn bread. And get a whole chicken and boil it.

I use a big roast pan( we make a good bit of dressing) Crumb up the corn bread( not to fine) once chicken is all boiled i pull apart the chicken and put it in with the cornbread, and use the broth from boiling the chicken. one whole chopped onion, 2 large eggs,a good bit of sage seasoning. tiny bit of salt. some black pepper and sprinkle in just the right amount of sausage seasoning. If it is too thick i add one can of chicken broth. You dont want it to be too thick before you start cooking it or it will turn out dry.

Good luck .. hope yours turns out great! (if your grandmaw doesn't live too far from you, maybe you could go over to her house and let her show you how she cooks it, then you'll know for next time)

MMM... there are so many recipes that sound SO yummy! I'm going to have to run them by DH and see what he wants to do!

Thank you so much everyone! And if anyone else wants to share, please do!

Have you tried asking your grandma for her recipe? I know some folks don't use an actual recipe for it, but maybe she'd at least be able to tell you approximately how much she uses of what ingredients...

I had thought about this, but we decided that we wanted to try something new. Grandma's stuffing is good, but we tend to like a lot of flavor where Grandma's stuffing is very old fashioned. It probably came across on the Mayflower. :P

I use mrs cubbisons box of stuffing

i add

butter

1/2 cup of chopped celery

1/2 cup of chopped onions

1/2 cup of chooped mushrooms

i melt the butter and add the celery, mushroom and onions to a saute pan and cook until done.

I add that with the water ( cant recall) to my stuffing mix and then i add herbs and spices

including.. and my key.. Cinnamon

I then bake it in the over with tin foil over it!

I saute onions and celery in butter and broth until tender and then mix with bread cubes ( I just diced up a loaf and half of regular bread). I add salt, pepper and sage seasoning. Add additional broth until the bread is moist.

this is the recipe i use also but instead of bread or day-old bread, i use stale hamburger and hot dog rolls. it makes the stuffing so tasty for some reason (maybe all that crust?). i also chop the leaves of the celery and saute all that w/the onion and celery choppings. i use a stick of butter to saute. once the onions are clear from sauteing, i transfer this to the bowl where the stale cubes are and pour them on top. to moisten, i start w/a can of chicken broth....but usually takes a little more. i like my stuffing really moist (not runny or anything like that, just so that it sticks to itself when you spoon it). the seasonings i use are sage, ground rosemary, thyme, parsley....OR i just add poultry seasoning. love it ......yum.

i should add that i use about 9 or 10 cups of the stale rolls cubed up, so these portions of butter and broth are based on that much bread.

we call it dressing.

I don't have a exact recipe, but what I do is. Cook a pretty big iron skillet full of corn bread. And get a whole chicken and boil it.

I use a big roast pan( we make a good bit of dressing) Crumb up the corn bread( not to fine) once chicken is all boiled i pull apart the chicken and put it in with the cornbread, and use the broth from boiling the chicken. one whole chopped onion, 2 large eggs,a good bit of sage seasoning. tiny bit of salt. some black pepper and sprinkle in just the right amount of sausage seasoning. If it is too thick i add one can of chicken broth. You dont want it to be too thick before you start cooking it or it will turn out dry.

Good luck .. hope yours turns out great! (if your grandmaw doesn't live too far from you, maybe you could go over to her house and let her show you how she cooks it, then you'll know for next time)

This is similar to my grandma's and I love it!

• 2 weeks later...

Too consider for Chr-stmas or next Thanksgiving...

Slow Cooker Holiday Stuffing

2 large packages ('more than enough to stuff a 12-14 pound turkey') Pepperidge Farms Herb Seasoned Cubed Stuffing Mix

defatted home made vegetable, chicken or turkey stock

extra light olive oil

chopped onion

crushed garlic

chopped celery

chopped green and red pepper

sliced fresh mushrooms

additional add ins (optional):

1 whipped egg

chopped nuts

simmered giblets, shredded

fresh oysters

water chestnuts

Mix stuffing mix with warm stock, according to package directions. The soup stock is substituted in equivalent amount for the butter/margarine and water liquid suggested. Remember you are making two packages, so double the amount of liquid given on the package for one package. Allow to cool while fixing vegetables.

Gently sauté the listed vegetables in the order given in the oil until tender but not colored. You can pick and choose the vegetables you want; these are our preferred mix. Measure out two cups of the sautéd vegetables and mix gently throughout the prepared stuffing. You can also mix in any of the optional additions to your taste.

Using an olive oil mister, or non-stick cooking spray, spray the oven safe crockery insert of a 6 quart oval slow cooker (my Hamilton-Beach one is oven safe to 375ºF). Put the stuffing mixture into the insert, place the insert into the slow cooker, cover, and cook on HIGH for 45 minutes. Reduce heat to LOW, and cook for 4 to 8 hours; it is ready after 4 hours in a newer crockpot that cooks hotter than older models but holds well on LOW up to 8 hours and can take up to seven or eight hours to cook in older models.

The stuffing around the sides of the crockery insert will sometimes cook more, leading to the "crunchy bits" that mimic what tends to sometimes poke out from inside the bird. If you want more, take your oven safe crockery insert and put it in a 350ºF oven for five to ten minutes right before serving.

If you grew up eating real stuffing, i.e., cooked in the bird, but hesitate to do that now, this is as close as I have come to mimicking the bread pudding-like texture that in the bird stuffing takes on while still cooking it outside of the bird.

Enjoy. :)