Black Friday not PC????

TerReuv

OK folks - I have one for you. At work we do a Secret Santa and several people at my office have been asking about it so they could shop on BF. (I must mention that about 80% of our office is African-American - I am not.) I sent out a message to everyone telling them when we would be doing the drawing and that we would be doing it so people could shop on Black Friday. I actually had someone call me up and tell me that I needed to change the message since that was not PC and it might upset some people. I told the person that I did not come up with the name that is what the retailers have named it and it had nothing to do with color but the books being in the black vs the red.

Is anyone else as surprised as I was by this? Are we getting to the point that everything is offensive or are people being oversensitive???

Sorry, this just so blew me away I had to ask!

Honestly I have never thought of it that way and have never had anybody comment on the name. Black Friday is Black Friday and has absolutely nothing to do with race! I'm sure that person that called you about changing the message was just looking out for you but I don't think you have to worry about it. :)

Our country (as much as I love it), has a problem with being over sensitive. People just need to grow up. Geez!!!

OK folks - I have one for you. At work we do a Secret Santa and several people at my office have been asking about it so they could shop on BF. (I must mention that about 80% of our office is African-American - I am not.) I sent out a message to everyone telling them when we would be doing the drawing and that we would be doing it so people could shop on Black Friday. I actually had someone call me up and tell me that I needed to change the message since that was not PC and it might upset some people. I told the person that I did not come up with the name that is what the retailers have named it and it had nothing to do with color but the books being in the black vs the red.

Is anyone else as surprised as I was by this? Are we getting to the point that everything is offensive or are people being oversensitive???

Sorry, this just so blew me away I had to ask!

Maybe they should be educated.

It was first called that in Philidelphia, and it was a reference to the worst traffic day of the year.

Since then, it is called Black Friday because traditionally, it is the first weekend where major retailers go in to the "black" financially.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)#Origin_of_the_name_.22Black_Friday.22

Seriously, people need to get over this whole PC thing. Grow up and stop being "offended" by everything. Geez...their ignorance offends me ;) Why don't they go to Crayola and tell them that they need to change the name of the Black crayon to something like "Does not omit light" or "absence of reflective properties". Silly

What would that person have to say about Taco Bell's latest culinary invention (and the other items mentioned in the commercial?):

[YOUTUBE]zuEdFsq1y5w[/YOUTUBE]

Maybe your company should rename it "Licorice Friday" or "That Really Big Shopping Day the Day After Thanksgiving When You Can Pick Up All the Good Deals"?

I've thought that about the Taco Bell commercial.. the way it's worded is not very appropriate for us gutter minded people.

I am not offended by white cake, white milk, or even the crackers I'm eating with my soup with pasta in white sauce. I also love an occasional White Christmas. Guess I'm too easy going.

I've thought that about the Taco Bell commercial.. the way it's worded is not very appropriate for us gutter minded people.

I am not offended by white cake, white milk, or even the crackers I'm eating with my soup with pasta in white sauce. I also love an occasional White Christmas. Guess I'm too easy going.

Haha! That stuff doesn't offend me either! ;)

i will say the only one that makes me think they should have maybe figured out a different name is Long John Silver's Fish taco now maybe my inner 8th grader is still lurking but gosh that phrase just doesnt seem appetizing

i will say the only one that makes me think they should have maybe figured out a different name is Long John Silver's Fish taco now maybe my inner 8th grader is still lurking but gosh that phrase just doesnt seem appetizing

Hahaha. I thought the same thing when I first saw it.

P.S. My list of what not to say is getting longer by the day.

thanks for the correction brad(i think) i always throught it was black friday due to financial reasons. people are overly sensitive, its probably best to ignore or mention to your immediate supervisor etc in case it gets blown to high heaven they'll know it was just a misinterpretation or whatever.

you know, the more I think about this, actually the more it ticks me off. I think that maybe Im just done talking to people in general. You never know if what you are going to say, no matter how innocent it is, is going to be blown into some stupid proportions. I don't even think that it is people being too sensitive. I think its more about people wanting to complain and get others in trouble. People want to be victims. I just don't get it.

What would that person have to say about Taco Bell's latest culinary invention (and the other items mentioned in the commercial?):

[YOUTUBE]zuEdFsq1y5w[/YOUTUBE]

Maybe your company should rename it "Licorice Friday" or "That Really Big Shopping Day the Day After Thanksgiving When You Can Pick Up All the Good Deals"?

"Black Jack Taco?" LMAO!!! I love it!