GIFT dilemma~15 yr. old SON

allshoppedout

My story: every year my son (now 15) has difficulty "finallizing" his Christmas list... and I have to beg for the list..when I get one it still normally has maybe 2-6 items..

This year though he wants the PS3 and 1 game for it. :shock: Likely about $400 total with game and tax... Most expensive thing he has asked for-- EVER.

Well that is all...but we can't afford that.

SO, what do I do? He has nothing else on his list and I doubt that he will.

The game he wants comes in PS2 format, but he says the game is "completely" different on PS2--I don't know if that is accurate statement or not...but he says don't get me the PS2 game.

Now his b-day is in January...one could say $200 on xmas and $200 on b-day which we may have spent on him 1 or 2 times before in his life, but can't this year...

And I wonder if he may want more new PS3 titles--they are $$ and I doubt he will get them as b-day presents from others...

Love to hear everyone/anyone's suggestions...

What would you do??

ok, so for years you've been after him for a list. this year he has a list, but it is too expensive... can you afford to get him the system? He is 15, he will understand money is tight and may be willing to wait for the game.... or get the game, with the promise to put $$ aside each week until you can afford the console? If he has a job, he could contribute to move things faster...

does he know money is tight?

When we have had a situation like that, we have asked grandparents if they would help instead of buying other gifts. Is that a possibilty? (I do not know a thing about the systems so I am no help there.) If not he is 15 and should be able to understand the economy, and I would ask him for a more cost affordable list.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Yes, conj, he knows $ is tight...I think if I were his age I'd probably be thinking "but it is Christmas" although he should be beginning to understand more about dealing with $ and finances.....

I have to bug him every year for a list. He always deliberates on anything he asks for...he doesn't want to chose haphazardly, it is like a huge decision that he is so so serious about.

And I have to say what he selects in general, he normally plays with alot...Not like we ever "wasted" $ on stuff when buying what he asks for...

I like the buying the game and promising the console "soon" although it could be torture....we don't know anyone with PS3 either, so he couldn't play it on theirs...hmmm...

When we have had a situation like that, we have asked grandparents if they would help instead of buying other gifts. Is that a possibilty? (I do not know a thing about the systems so I am no help there.) If not he is 15 and should be able to understand the economy, and I would ask him for a more cost affordable list.

I might have to go in that direction actually, that thought didn't occur to me.

It still bugs me that it is THAT much $ for a system!

Personally I'd rather have a fancy cell phone with video/mp3 etc...but I'm a girl, I like to talk :gd_phone:

My brother bought a PS3 a few months back from Craigslist. He says it is one of the best systems (I didn't even know there were different versions of the PS3). Anyhow, it got it really cheap (I think around $125.00). Plays it every day and has had no problems at all with it.

We could possibly trade the PS2 in but that brings up other concerns:

I just read in various threads/places, that there are 2 ( or more) versions of a PS 3 ?

Help me out here....and I know this is border line tech question but.... which version is BEST.

Are all/some backwards compatible for the PS games? and

Will I still find the best one/backwards comp. one??

(I know I could ask a person at Gamestop but sometimes you get rushed...and not enough info....I need it explained to me slowly LOL, "mom speed" )

We did the trade-in a few years ago when my son wanted the Xbox 360. It was just too much, so he was willing about 2 weeks before Christmas to trade in his PS2 and everything he had to go with it. This was 2 yrs ago. Anyhow, w/ his trade-in's it brought the price down by 50% and made it more affordable. Which was the only way he was getting it.

If I'm not mistaken, and I'm not into the PS3 much, the 80GB PS3 is the only one thats backwards compatible (plays PS2 games). The best time to get the system would be around now since there are bundles available, but like others have said, look into buying used. You could probably trade in th PS2 to differ the cost, that might help. What I would do though is wait on the game until his birthday. That way the game might drop in price, and become more affordable.

I've never played a PS3, but thats the best scenario I could think of. Tell us what you decide and how it turns out.

Your best bet would be to either look for an 80gb on craigslist or see how much a used one from gamestop would cost. We have the 40gb and think it's absolutely rediculous that they aren't backwards compatible. But it was *free* so I can't really complain.

Good Luck!

Definitely check Craigslist. We sold DH's PS3 last year for a pretty good price. We had A TON of stuff to go with it (all the Rockband stuff, add-ons, etc plus a million games).

Gamestop is a great place to check, too.

Dh says he doesn't think they make the backwards compatable ones anymore...so Gamestop or Craigslist is the best.

What about eBay?

Here's a link to the PS3 site: ($299 msrp)

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3

Definitely check Craigslist. We sold DH's PS3 last year for a pretty good price. We had A TON of stuff to go with it (all the Rockband stuff, add-ons, etc plus a million games).

Gamestop is a great place to check, too.

Dh says he doesn't think they make the backwards compatable ones anymore...so Gamestop or Craigslist is the best.

What about eBay?

Here's a link to the PS3 site: ($299 msrp)

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3

There needs to be a "buyers guide for all things PS3" how crazy--several models, not all compatible, very confusing.... I am thinking of more and more reasons to NOT even consider this. ;)

I am always worried about buying things off of Craigslists/ebay with electronic things...call me crazy but I don't have great luck with stuff....whereas Gamestop, I can easily drag it back to the store--and there are many of them. . .

Have to discuss with DH . . I know DS would not be happy to know he will likely not be able to do the PS2 games on it, I don't think he knew that...

There needs to be a "buyers guide for all things PS3" how crazy--several models, not all compatible, very confusing.... I am thinking of more and more reasons to NOT even consider this. ;)

I am always worried about buying things off of Craigslists/ebay with electronic things...call me crazy but I don't have great luck with stuff....whereas Gamestop, I can easily drag it back to the store--and there are many of them. . .

Have to discuss with DH . . I know DS would not be happy to know he will likely not be able to do the PS2 games on it, I don't think he knew that...

When we sold ours, we actually left it hooked up so the guy could try it out. He played with it for a bit, then decided to buy it. You can always ask if they're willing to do that, and if they're not...don't go with their PS3.

But yeah, Gamestop is probably best for issues like that. And really...if they know you're looking to drop $$$, and you explain that you need the "mom version of how it works" they should be willing to help you out.

I hope it works out for you!

Wow, I just spent the last 25 min. reading listings on ebay--not very cheap!

So it seems what I have learned is that 40 GB and 60 GB are backwards compatible--and highly sought after, so they won't be cheap :( gimmie a break.... Some listings are high 200's to 300 and they don't even include a controller or any cords. Some of them say broken and want hundreds for them. :shock:

I have to call/check in at Gamestop today/soon.

When we sold ours, we actually left it hooked up so the guy could try it out. He played with it for a bit, then decided to buy it. You can always ask if they're willing to do that, and if they're not...don't go with their PS3.

But yeah, Gamestop is probably best for issues like that. And really...if they know you're looking to drop $$$, and you explain that you need the "mom version of how it works" they should be willing to help you out.

I hope it works out for you!

We posted within a min. of each other again, ha ha :tongue1: funny...

Shouldn't be so hard....and since they are all technically NOT the same, I'd call 'em PS3, PS4, PS5, etc...but I am a girl

We posted within a min. of each other again, ha ha :tongue1: funny...

Shouldn't be so hard....and since they are all technically NOT the same, I'd call 'em PS3, PS4, PS5, etc...but I am a girl

Haha! Yeah, I saw that other thread....we're getting spooky. :)

You're a mom who's a girl. Double whammy! ;) When men rule an industry, things don't make sense.

I am not sure how you feel about it, but another suggestion is to try a pawn shop. My sister was able to find a Wii at one last year, brand new never opened for 1/2 the price. It's a long shot, but possible. KMart layaway is a great idea too... $400 sure seems like alot (and it is), but $30 a week seems a little easier to swallow. I know it's so hard... hope something works out for you.

Wow, I just spent the last 25 min. reading listings on ebay--not very cheap!

So it seems what I have learned is that 40 GB and 60 GB are backwards compatible--and highly sought after, so they won't be cheap :( gimmie a break.... Some listings are high 200's to 300 and they don't even include a controller or any cords. Some of them say broken and want hundreds for them. :shock:

I have to call/check in at Gamestop today/soon.

I was just going to post that. We have been offered alot of $$ for our 60gb PS3 because of it's backward capabilities. More than we paid for it originally. But dh is keeping it.

We have the backwards compatible one and I have no idea why they aren't making it, I probally would not have bought it otherwise (OK I would have) We got it the first year it came out when it was even more expensive and I do not regret it.

It is ALSO a bluray player...that was the kicker for us and we use it as one ALOT.

I limit my kids gametime and I still think the PS3 was worth EVERY penny.

I say combine his bday and christmas gifts and get it for him (let him rent the game maybe?)

Ask grandparents and anyone else that might buy for him to get him rental giftcards or walmart giftcards (so he can buy games)

My mom actually paid for my DS11 a full year of Gamefly last year and it was OK but we cancelled when his paid year was up..

Good luck with your decision and deal hunt :)

what is the backward capabilities?i have no idea on any of this stuff is 60 gb better do they still make rhe backward capability one? backward capabilities meaning...

The backwards capabilities allowed the PS3 to play a majority of the PS2 games. They quit making the PS3 with backwards capabilities in order to make it cheaper and thus lower the price. I believe the 60gb is the PS3 with the largest storage capacity that has backwards capabilities. We stood in line for 36 hours on release day to get this for ds19 for Christmas when it came out. Last year he decided he wanted an Xbox 360 instead so dh bought him the Xbox 360 and got the PS3 in return. He was going to sell it :no::eek:

Thank you all for your replies and help. :)

I did stop at Gamestop and although they were very busy (Call of Duty was released--which I never heard of until today-LOL) I got alot of info from the lady in about 20 min.

She said they can't/aren't getting any of the 40 or 60 GB PS3 in as trade in's because people know they can sell them for lots of $$ on ebay, so :( that isn't gonna happen. . .

The 120 GB is 299. and the 250 GB :eek: is 349.

The blu-ray player feature is definitely something that would benefit ALL of us ;) but certainly not gonna let my DS know that....

Even a not-very-good blu-ray player is 100.oo so if you look at it that way, then I am technically paying $100.oo for a blu ray and 199.oo for the PS3 which makes it seem much more reasonable...

And then if you split it between b-day and Christmas then it is 100.oo for each occasion :).

I found a $25 giftcard I had forgotten about so I'll use that to help--does ToysRUs let you use any of those 10 of $75.oo coupons when buying a game system?