Stores opening at Midnight Rumor

marshmallowpuff

I have two sources that are telling me that non-24 hour Wal Marts will be open at midnight. I'm not sure if this means that the sales will start at Midnight, or if it means that they are just opening the doors to let people line up inside at the pallets where they want items from (you know the new rules of a line for every item). It is unclear, but I am trying to find out more.

Realistically, they probably are not starting the sale when the doors open, but letting the lines build up to avoid rushing.

Edited by bigjimslade
updating title

When I lived in FL the Walmarts were open all Thanksgiving day. We used to go scope out the store and see where everything we wanted was. All the door busters were on pallets being 'guarded' by Walmart employees. @ 5 or 6 what ever time the sale started they would remove the plastic and let us go for it.

Our 24 hour stores have always been open.They didnt even close on Thanksgiving.You could always just go in and check things out but, the sales didnt start until the normal time.It is nice because you can get the stuff you want to PM before the sale even starts.It saves alot of time.

I don't understand why WM would allow you in the store at midnight but not allow you to purchase the BF items till five or six hours later. People (myself included) are going to get bored and sleepy. Are they hoping that people will get bored, want to go home, purchase other, more expensive things, and leave?

I don't understand why WM would allow you in the store at midnight but not allow you to purchase the BF items till five or six hours later. People (myself included) are going to get bored and sleepy. Are they hoping that people will get bored, want to go home, purchase other, more expensive things, and leave?

No, most people are standing in line outside in the cold for 5-6 hours. At least they can be warm in the store. Plus they might be trying to prevent a death like last year. Personally I hope they do this, I think standing around for 6 hours would be a lot better in the warmth! ;)

But this year supposedly there is to be a line for each highly sought after item. What happens if you want more than one BF doorbuster item?

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=151038&page=2

The very top reply.

that is what I am wondering too........unless you have alot of backup in theory you will only be able to get one or two things vs the whole cart full we all nomally get......

But this year supposedly there is to be a line for each highly sought after item. What happens if you want more than one BF doorbuster item?

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=151038&page=2

The very top reply.

This is why I am skipping Walmart this year. If there are several things you want, your gonna have to go from one line to the next. All that is gonna do is take up more time & a chance that your not gonna get a certain item.

If there is anything I want, hopefully I can get it online. If not I will just have to pass it up.

There were lines for specific items at Meijer last year too. It is a hassle, because you have to make a selection for which item(s) you want.

When the stores are open at midnight, people get everything they can get and put it in their cart until the sale starts. Also, if it is an item that you really, really want, you just stand by it until they take the tarp off of the skid and grab it.

Or another option is to go in the store with more than one person, putting one person in the line for each item you want, just as some people split up and wait in line at different stores. I would expect that it will likely be one unit per person in line, though, so that you would have to actually have a person for each individual item, not one person to pick up three of an item for different people.

I actually did that last year and it did work. We split up with a small part of the list and got everything we wanted on the list. However, with this change supposedly coming from corporate, I may need twenty people just to get everything we want. Of course, if WM's ad stinks this year, I won't have this problem.

Our Walmarts don't close on Thanksgiving Day either. I usually go in early and pick up all the items I want to price match and have them in my cart for 5 am. I grab what I need from the pallets (seems like it has been the same little stuff for the past couple of years) I check out at the garden center and I'm on my way to the next store. We're looking for a 32" or 37" tv for my 14 year old son's bedroom this year.

Counting down the days!!

OK, as someone who has a relative that is a department manager at WM I can offer a little info. on the whole "line" issue this year.

1. Most stores have gone to the "Clean Store" program where there are no longer pallets or 4-ways in the middle of their large aisles. Because of this they will not be having pallets out for Black Friday either.

2. All small items, such as games, toasters, etc. will be stocked on an end-cap (the end of an individual aisle that faces the main aisle). These will will be guarded by employees as usual and there's not as much space to gather aroun dan end-cap as there was around the pallets.

3. All large or "hot" items will have an individual designated line. Each person in the line will be allowed 1 item from that line (if you want items from 5 lines you'll need other people in the other lines for you). The employees are also only allowed to line up as many people as they have items for.....So, say they have 10 TV's and you want in that line---once they have 10 people in line they will cut the line off, an emplyee will stand at the end of the line and advise any new people that there are no more items available. Once the sale starts and it's your turn, you'll be given a ticket that you can take to the register and pay for your item, then once paid for you have to drive around to the back of the store to pick that item up.

Of course, like we all know from past experiences not all stores follow the rules they've been given and some choose to do things their own way. However, these are the rules that have been provided to the managment at WM, so in most stores you may see it happen this way.

3. All large or "hot" items will have an individual designated line. Each person in the line will be allowed 1 item from that line (if you want items from 5 lines you'll need other people in the other lines for you).

This is the part that upsets me. Basically, they are making it harder for people to purchase WM's items by "telling" you you can only purchase what you are waiting in line for. I hope and pray that my local MW does NOT do it this way. If they do, I WILL NOT be going back there for BF.

ughh!! Walmart had better have really good deals this year if they are going to make things this complicated. And they will be orchestrating all of this how? It seems to me that in order to have any chance of getting big ticket items you will have to be in line waithing for the store to open at 12:00 and then rush to find the line for the item you want and have to stand there by yourself, because your partners will all be in different lines, for 5 hours. If I am going to wait in line I would rather do it with friends and coffee!! I really hope corporate does some kind of press release laying out the exact details before the event. I am begining to remember whyy we skipped walmart last year.

ughh!! Walmart had better have really good deals this year if they are going to make things this complicated. And they will be orchestrating all of this how? It seems to me that in order to have any chance of getting big ticket items you will have to be in line waithing for the store to open at 12:00 and then rush to find the line for the item you want and have to stand there by yourself, because your partners will all be in different lines, for 5 hours. If I am going to wait in line I would rather do it with friends and coffee!! I really hope corporate does some kind of press release laying out the exact details before the event. I am begining to remember whyy we skipped walmart last year.

I never thought of it that way! Kinda takes the fun out of BF! I hope Wal-Mart doesn't have anything I want this year! ;)