What's the worst gift you or someone is your family has ever received?

angied64084

What's the worst you have ever received or witnessed someone receiving?

The worst I have ever witnessed is my son getting regifted a goody bag from his own birthday party in his Christmas stocking from his Nana. My mom really got the look that day, along with a "seriously Mom?".

DS didn't mind though. It was good humor.

We've actually been pretty fortunate in getting gifts that are appropriate.

However, last year, DD6 (then 5) received a set of earrings from DH's grandmother. It was one of those Avon sets. There were 7 pair, one for each day of the week. But they were all way too fancy for a 5 year-old. Huge stones, meant more for dressing up as an adult. My daughter got SO excited about it, but I just couldn't let her wear them....they looked so out of place on a little girl.

So we're saving them until she's older. ;)

My daughters grandfather on her dads side, bless his heart, always seems to buy her like random things. A giant stuffed cheetah one year, a beach towel (IN DECEMBER- we live in illinois our swimming time here is about 3 months out of the year if that)

This one is actually funny but one year I got a gift card from my sister and BIL. It was a great gift card BUT......they wrapped it in a beer box with all of the dividers and all of the dividers were full of random things so it was like a scavenger hunt trying to find the actual gift. not to mention the beer box was wrapped in a bigger box, then that in a bigger box, then that in a bigger box.....but they weren't all wrapped with just wrapping paper they were wrapped and tapped with, had to be 3 rolls of box tape. I think it took me over an hour to get my gift card. Needless to say I have yet to get back and them maybe this year I will bury their gift in my garden and make them have to dig and find it....lol pending the ground isn't frozen at that time.

my son who was 9 at the time got a chicago bears helmet that would fit on a small stuffed animal. His uncle gave it to him and our son wasn't a bears fan at the time either, he was and is a Falcons fan.

He opened looked at his dad and me and asked , "Now what do i do with this???" we shrugged our shoulders and said put it on your dresser. He replied, "O"

I am sure there are some more....but this one from a non-blood relative comes to mind.....

A "used" book yep couldn't get me a NEW one... :yuck: it looked like it had been through a few wars...and guess what came with this lovely book??

Two ugly bath towels, no wash cloths, no hand towels to match. (Wait, maybe that was a blessing..) The towels had this big piece of old-lady lace on it....I don't like lace much anyway, but who wants it on my towel so it can scratch my wet back as I try to dry ?

i dont remember what the gift was but it was something to do with cooking.everyone wanted me to hurry and open it when i opened it they all looked at me like well ok get in the kitchen and use it we wanna have food from it it wasnt a microwave but it was something like a seen on tv thing

My mom hates cooking. It's a well know fact among our entire extended family. This particular year she was also following a low carb. diet.

She got a years subscription to "Bon Appetit" and a box of candy.

Other years we have just gotten wierd, non age appropriate things. As a child I got a purse and wallet. As a teen I got awooden, painted, chuncky bracelet that looked appropriate for a young child.

i always seem to get clothes from my mil that dont fit or arnt even close to fitting. I am a bigger girl and dont expect much I tell everyone to please not buy me clothes as i am harder than most to shop for and i give plenty of inexpensive ideas but no way I always seem to get some type of outfit that doesnt come near to my size or would i even actually wear. I always politly say thanks and it goes in my closet for a few months till i spring clean and it goes to Good Will

My MIL is a serial re-gifter. She almost always gives me something that I gave her in years past. This year she's getting the kids in on it - she gave my DD9 a Hallmark Collectible for her bday. One I had given her a few years ago. The worst one from her was a fishing lure, complete with hook, for my DD12, who was then 9 and certainly does not fish. She was cleaning out her garage that year!

Used Tarzan and Jane pillowcases.

When I received them, they were a joke. They were previously given to my mom as a serious present (really, the person that gave them to her was being nice, but they were soooo ugly), but she decided to regift them to me and made them look more like my hubby and myself! We were going to give them back the next year but somehow I lost them.

My step-MIL got me a HUGE pair of overalls one Christmas when I was pregnant with my first DD, I think I was 4 months at the time? OMG! They were HUGE and no, not maternity, they were like farmer-type overalls and so not me! Those things wouldn't have fit if I gained 200lbs! I'm still pissed about that! LOL Oh, and of course my husband got something really wonderful (don't recall what it was) but I got overalls! It was so tempting not to regift them to her the next year.

Only one I can think of is a sweater with HUGE peach and white horizontal stripes, with a polo-type collar on it. Although I wore an average size at the time, I've always struggled with my weight... so between the huge stripes and the thing being made to hang loose and just waist-length-- there was NO way I was wearing it!! I found out where my sister had bought it so I could exchange it, and just as I suspected: she found it on clearance. I NOT dissing clearance (it's my favorite, 2nd only to BF shopping!), but there were SOO many prettier and more appropriate shirts, on the same rack and the same price!! <sigh>

I keep asking my mom if she's sure we're really sisters-- my brother and I are a lot alike, but sometimes I think my sister's from another planet! LOL

this incident just happened about 5 years ago.i saw something probably lotions and stuff in a basket and mentioned it to my son.that year all my presents were in baskets.pre made baskets and they were all lotion type stuff the basket i saw initially i said it was pretty and i guess they thought i wanted baskets thats why i get my own stuff mostly.

I kind of hate to even bring this up because since this happened, mine and my step-mom's relationship has gone from terrible to really good, but...

The year I was 16 I had just moved out of my dad and step-mom's house because, well, to be honest, my step-mom and step-sister were awful to me.

The last day of school before Christmas vacation, my step-sister hands me a box and says, "Merry Christmas." I was shocked and opened it right there in the hallway. It was all of the pictures of me that my dad had, ripped to pieces and wrapped up all nice and pretty. I sat on the floor in front of everybody and cried my eyes out. My step-sister's best friend told me that my step-mom had told my step-sister to do this. :(

On Christmas morning, a gift had been sent to my grandparents house for me from my dad and step-mom (she did all the shopping- my dad is clueless about that stuff). My 19 year old sister received about 10 things from them. I had 1. It was a box of 5 little stuffed bears with a $5 sticker on it that was crossed out with a Sharpie. My dad and step-mom are well off. My sister's gifts were probably worth about $500. Then there was me with my bears.

One year my monster, er I mean mother-in-law, gave my dh $100, our oldest son (younger one wasn't born yet) $75 and me a $10 (IF that) sweatshirt (UGLY) that was AT LEAST 2 sizes TOO BIG and a freebie that Kohl's gave out to the first 100 customers on BF!!

I guess that was a little bit of a step up though because no matter how many times dh told his family I am allergic to body washes etc, every year that's what they would get me!!

We don't even speak to his family now, so I'm in the clear;)

One year my monster, er I mean mother-in-law, gave my dh $100, our oldest son (younger one wasn't born yet) $75 and me a $10 (IF that) sweatshirt (UGLY) that was AT LEAST 2 sizes TOO BIG and a freebie that Kohl's gave out to the first 100 customers on BF!!

I guess that was a little bit of a step up though because no matter how many times dh told his family I am allergic to body washes etc, every year that's what they would get me!!

We don't even speak to his family now, so I'm in the clear;)

Wow. Sounds like your inlaws are like mine. I usually end up with shampoo fro MIL and FIL. My husband told her NO MORE SHAMPOO one year and she bought me bath bubbles. I guess she gets it honest, though. Her mom always wanted to buy the kids underwear. Who buys underwear for kids for Christmas..... My son was sooo embarrassed and he was only 2 the last time we went there. Never again.

One year from MY Mother I got a furry PINK toilet set, you know the seat/tank cover thing? Wouldn't have been a bad gift if she hadn't KNOWN that I'd just redone the bathroom in black & green.

That was also the year she got me this HIDEOUS black nylon w/neon pink, green, yellow paisley print blouse in a size 26! Her reasoning? "You've been gaining weight so I thought you could use a new blouse"....ummmm, Mother, hello.....I'm 7 months pregnant with TWINS!!!!!

I kind of hate to even bring this up because since this happened, mine and my step-mom's relationship has gone from terrible to really good, but...

The year I was 16 I had just moved out of my dad and step-mom's house because, well, to be honest, my step-mom and step-sister were awful to me.

The last day of school before Christmas vacation, my step-sister hands me a box and says, "Merry Christmas." I was shocked and opened it right there in the hallway. It was all of the pictures of me that my dad had, ripped to pieces and wrapped up all nice and pretty. I sat on the floor in front of everybody and cried my eyes out. My step-sister's best friend told me that my step-mom had told my step-sister to do this. :(

On Christmas morning, a gift had been sent to my grandparents house for me from my dad and step-mom (she did all the shopping- my dad is clueless about that stuff). My 19 year old sister received about 10 things from them. I had 1. It was a box of 5 little stuffed bears with a $5 sticker on it that was crossed out with a Sharpie. My dad and step-mom are well off. My sister's gifts were probably worth about $500. Then there was me with my bears.

Awwww this made me want to cry. Glad ya'lls relationship is better now.