Swine Flu and Black Friday

bfaddict1977

I'm just wondering if you all think the swine flu epidemic will scare out a lot of shoppers this year? I definitely plan on going out. I'm just a bit scared being pregnant and all that some moron will be carrying the virus and still go out and spread it. What is everyone else's thoughts?

I don't think it will get in the way of the crowds being too big or small. You will always have that person that they know they are sick but if they don't tell anyone while shopping, who will know? They will go out anyways.

All you can do is take precautions... wash your hands, use hand sanitizer and hope others are doing the same.

I'm just wondering if you all think the swine flu epidemic will scare out a lot of shoppers this year? I definitely plan on going out. I'm just a bit scared being pregnant and all that some moron will be carrying the virus and still go out and spread it. What is everyone else's thoughts?

Get a mask from the doctor's office next time you are there and wear it as a precaution....I ended up with a few extras when I was visiting my brother (double pneumonia and swine flu-spent 2 weeks in hospital with a week and a half in ccu). I figure that if it gets worse I might use them when I do the shopping. Although I was probably exposed as I took food to bro and my mom (who also ended up with pneumonia and regular flu) for several days before he was hospitalized....

I'm just a bit scared being pregnant and all that some moron will be carrying the virus and still go out and spread it.

<del>If you go out into crowds during flu season pregnant -- it doesn't matter the crowd or the flu -- the moron you need to worry about is not the one spreading the flu.

You are crazy to put the health of your unborn child at risk (crowds, disease, cold) to save a few bucks. Be smart; stay home. Do your shopping online this year.

As for the rest of us, I wouldn't behave any differently than when I stand in any crowd...

1) limit up close talking to strangers -- especially those displaying symptoms

2) keep your hands away from your face

3) wash your hands, but not to excess (chapped hands offer entry to disease)

4) avoid public restrooms and drinking fountains

5) wash and dry hands before and after using a public restroom -- any restroom

6) use a towel or your sleeve to open doors

7) keep sores covered

It's just common sense. Your eyes, nose, mouth, fun parts, and any openings in your skin are the doors to infection. Keep these clean and you will be well.

Get plenty of rest, drink a lot of liquids, and eat well, too, so your body is strong to fight off infection.

This is true for pregnent and sick people. It's just that the consequences of getting sick are so much worse.</del>

Don't worry about going out into crowds during the flu season. I'm sure all the sick people will stay home and that those who have behaved badly in the past have learned their lessons.

Edited by len_mullen

wow, that was a tiny bit harsh calling her a moron....at least thats the way i read it. :(

Not the way I meant it. It's just crazy for sick, elderly, or pregnant people to stand out in the cold with lots of people. I'll make it a little less harsh...it doesn't read as well, but it's Christmas, right?

pregnant is not sick.

that's why I said "sick, elderly, or pregnant."

Being in crowds at BF is no different than going to the grocery store on the 1st of the month, or any other busy place with the "public" there.

that's why I said "it doesn't matter the crowd or the flu."

There is a major misconception that "being out in the cold gets you sick". This is not the case. Viruses and other germs are passed to you from someone that is ALREADY sick. So an elderly lady spending ten hours out in the cold won't get her sick, but the guy that has a cold and sneezed on her, will. Also, the OP didn't call herself a moron, just the person that goes out in public sick one.

wow, that was a tiny bit harsh calling her a moron....at least thats the way i read it. :(

I don't read it that way at all, and nowhere in the post did he call her a moron (you did). I think you're reading way too much into his comments. If my wife was pregnant I wouldn't want her fighting the crazies out there on BF either. Even huge strong healthy men have been killed during BF stampedes (see Walmart), so I definitely wouldn't want to see a pregnant woman caught in that melee!

If you're pregnant you really should get vaccinated when it's available in your area, but still observe precautions. I second the "shop online" suggestion ~ think about all the crazy BF shoppers who are not considerate of others, even if you're pregnant! Best wishes, by the way! :)

I am 4 months pregnant and my "plan" is to follow the same good hygeine habits I always do, whether it's flu season or not. I wash my hands thoroughly and frequently, keep hand sanitizer always available (in my purse, in my car, at my desk, etc) and avoid being anywhere near people who are exhibiting any signs of illness. I always sanitize shopping carts with the wipes, and use hand sanitizer after pumping gas or using a keypad after a credit card swipe at a cashier. I keep my hands away from my face, always wash my hands before I eat, and use paper towels to turn on faucets/open doors, etc in public restrooms, and the first thing I do when I get back to the house is wash my hands. These are things I always do and they have proven to be quite effective for me.

While I realize that BF isn't a necessity, being pregnant doesn't mean you can just quit living life...you still have to get out there and be exposed to the public....grocery shopping, shopping for other household necessities, going to work, etc. You could pick up H1N1 or anything else going around simply by going to work and touching a shared surface like the copy machine. I have a child in elementary school in which there have been several instances of H1N1 and the flu. She is also in dance class where several kids have gotten sick. She could bring it home, too...but I can't just stop life and not send my daughter to school based on the fear that she *may* get the flu...or 1000 other bugs out there. Just practice good hygiene, take your vitamins and do what you can.

Just remember, being in these 'big' stores, you will still be in 'close quarters' with lots of people. The check-out lines especially, lol. Your odds of catching something could increase somewhat over just normal shopping.

No, Jenirvt, but BF is different in that you will be standing in close proximity to lots of strangers for long periods of time. As you move from store to store the number of strangers you are in close proximity to for long periods of time increases. As the number increases, the liklihood of you being exposed to something increases.

Being pregnant doesn't mean stop living life, but you should be more careful since your behaviors will be affecting a more delicate creature. So, we eat better, see the doctor more often, lay off drugs and alcohol, curtail physical activity, and minimize exposure to disease.

You can do what you, but I think you should be careful.

My personal opinion is if the good lord sees it for you to get the swine flu then you are going to get the swine flu and there is nothing you can do about it. That doesn't mean not to use common sense like hand washing, sanitizer, etc. I wouldn't let it stop me from going shopping on BF.

I don't read it that way at all, and nowhere in the post did he call her a moron (you did). I think you're reading way too much into his comments. If my wife was pregnant I wouldn't want her fighting the crazies out there on BF either. Even huge strong healthy men have been killed during BF stampedes (see Walmart), so I definitely wouldn't want to see a pregnant woman caught in that melee!

you didn't see it because he or she edited their post and removed that comment

Everyone knows I am pregnant with twins. I still do plan on going out on BF. I did get the seasonal Flu shot but am against getting the H1N1 shot (and its not up for debate). I am not going to stay home and not go out on BF. Like someone else stated above, going shopping on BF is the same to being anywhere else in public like the grocery store. As long as I have my hand sanitizer and wash my hands frequently, I feel I am fine to go. Calling a pregnant person a moron, whether you changed your post or not, is harsh. We aren't morons. This is what we want to do.

I am going to the doctor every 2 weeks so *if* I were to come down with something, they would be able to catch it *if* something did come up and I did get the Swine Flu. Again, I am not concerned with getting it. My son goes to public school, his chances of getting it are high also, but I don't keep him out, do you think I should so I don't get the Swine Flu? I don't think so, so limiting my outings isn't something I plan on doing either.

Like someone else stated above, going shopping on BF is the same to being anywhere else in public like the grocery store.

It's not the same. You have sustained contact with more people for a longer time.

As long as I have my hand sanitizer and wash my hands frequently, I feel I am fine to go..

You may feel fine, but you are *very* likely to be exposed to a virus as you chat with people waiting in line.

Calling a pregnant person a moron, whether you changed your post or not, is harsh. We aren't morons. This is what we want to do..

It's harsh (Encarta defines moron as an offensive term that deliberately insults somebody's intelligence), but I was playing on the words of the original post. While my intent was not to instult, I seriously question the intelligence of someone willing to put the welfare of a baby at risk to save a couple dollars.

I am going to the doctor every 2 weeks so *if* I were to come down with something, they would be able to catch it *if* something did come up and I did get the Swine Flu. Again, I am not concerned with getting it. My son goes to public school, his chances of getting it are high also, but I don't keep him out, do you think I should so I don't get the Swine Flu? I don't think so, so limiting my outings isn't something I plan on doing either.

You are right that your son being in public school is a risk, but to equate the risk associated with getting an education with that of saving a few bucks is irrational. If your son comes home sick, you can take measures to avoid getting sick yourself. What measures can you take to avoid inhaling virus in line at Walmart?

Look, I'm not going to pull a pregnant woman out of line and send her home. Someone asked about the risk of being in line with morons who have the virus. There will be people in line who are sick. Some won't even know. If you are at risk -- and pregnant people are -- you should reconsider. I hope you never have to regret waiting in line on BF, but, mark my words, some will.

My advice to the OP and others who are at risk is to play it safe. What you do with that advice is up to you.

the first line of the offending comment was edited, but to my point.

My best friends daughter was diagnosed w/swine flu 2 weeks ago and bf was deathly worried about her safety and that of her unborn baby when she started getting flu like symptoms at approx 8 months pregnant. She called me in tears to tell me that pregnant women don't do well with swine flu (i.e. many have died) and I did my best to seem calm and comforting. Coming from a pharmacist who can and had argued all the points for and against the vaccine at her shower a few days earlier I was shaken to the core. She has since recovered, more than likely was psychological.

I'm not trying to scare anyone and as a single young person haven't really paid swine flu much attention, but please look after yourselves in this already hectic shopping season. I'd hate for anyone to suffer needlessly for the sake of (more than likely) unnecessary stuff. It might also help to remember that many stores have most of the sales online as well and some pffer free shipping too.

I personally think we will all be exposed to it at some point this winter. I also think that the stores are crowded all Christmas season not just on BF, and there will be other times when you are exposed. From what I understand the H1N1 virus is contagious before the person shows symptoms, so you could come in contact with it without even knowing the person is carrying it. I think that more than anything you need to stay rested and of course wash your hands very often. They have also said that unless your hand sanitizers contain alcohol they will not kill H1N1. Honestly, if it were me I think I would skip it just because I think it is utterly exhausting and when your body is tired it's less likely to fight off viruses. BTW, early intervention is key with this virus, my 10 yr. old is recovering from H1N1 at home. The doctor told us we did the right thing in getting him treated early. He is taking tamiflu and so far is recovering fine. If you feel sick don't wait.

thank you illinoismom, the sentence *did* read something to the effect of "the moron you should be worrying about isnt the one sneezing" or something along that line. I am the last person to call a pregnant BF shopper a moron...see "have you ever shopped on BF while pregnant".

anyhow i stand by my original suggestion of throwing some purrell in your purse and enjoying your day! :) Happy shopping!

The area I live in has already been hit by the swine flu. Several schools in the area were closed on Thursday and Friday due to high levels of absent kids. There were about 180-200 kids sick on Wednesday. My daughter and both ended up having swine flu and we were fine in a few days. Our doctor said it is really no different than the seasonal flu. So just be sure to wash your hands frequently. I don't know why they are making such a big deal out of it. There is really no reason to panic.

I think it may play a very small roll in decreased spending however I think the effects of the economy, unemployment, housing crisis etc will play a HUGE roll in what happens BF. My prediction- more violent shoppers due to feeling despirate. (See my post on thie discussion re: I'm not going shopping BF- heres why- any comments)

Oh for pete's sake. I am going to venture to guess len mullen is either a man or a woman who hasn't been pregnant recently. Newsflash: There is NO avoiding H1N1. Most of us will get it at some point no matter we do. There is no reason to panic or alter your life. You should be washing your hands and keeping your sores covered ( lmao at that one) anyways regardless of what illness is going around.

Being pregnant doesn't make you disabled. I will be 24 weeks with IVF twins aka high risk pregnancy and will be out shopping. Why? Because there is no reason not to. Getting in a car accident is more probable and worrisome than getting swine flu on BF.

This goes to all people....not just you horrible people risking your unborn childrens lives by going out BF (I'm being so sarcastic here....I was BF shopping at 8 months pregnant last year & we survived ;))

While you do need to wash your hands frequently (any time of they year...staff is just as nasty as H1N1) you need to make sure you are applying lotion to your hands also. The more you wash your hands (or apply sanitizer) the more they dry out, making them chaffed & easier to get cracks...which give germs more entrances to your body.

Second....if your hands are cracked...skip the sanitizer...most of them only skim the surface of your hands, they don't get into the cracks to kill any germs there.

Also, please don't think if you are unaffected, that a mask will save you....the virus can enter in through your eyes also. Masks are best used for those already infected, to not spread it further.

Germs can live on your clothes, just as they do on that door knob you are opening up with your sleeve. So how soon are you going to wash your sleeve next, versus how soon are you going to wash your hands next, is something to consider?

Finally, the virus is in its incubation period 3 days before you see any symptoms...so there are tons of people out there that have no idea they are sick.

And with that....H1N1 will not be deterring me from my holiday shopping. I'm out constantly, probably the most of which at my daughters school, where I work in the lunch room 3 days a week with 300+ kids. Bring on Black Friday!