Where do you hide gifts? Odd places welcome!

jillandjustin

I was reading another thread about wrapping presents and then hiding them. My son is 3, so he isn't really ready to start searching for hiding places yet. I put all the wrapped gifts on a shelf in the spare bedroom closet.

It got me thinking about my mom (who had 3 DD's) and her hiding spots. Since I'm 7 and 10 years older than my sisters, I was in on a lot her hiding:

Behind rarely used small appliances in the kitchen cabinets

Under the out of season clothes in the basement

Under the spare towels in the linen closet

In my Dad's sock drawer and tool box

My closet (I had my own room and my sisters shared one)

Just wondering what creative places you all use?

I dont put the presents out until Christmas Eve (I have a dd7, who still believes & a dd15 months), so I wrap the gifts, put them in huge black trash bags & put them in my mom's basement or attic. They get "delivered" to my apartment Christmas Eve while the kids are sleeping or I'll go get them while my mom or brother sits with the kids, whatever works.

Right now all the kids gifts are unwrapped in in totes and bags in the attic. Once they get wrapped, about a week or 2 before Christmas, they will get placed back in totes and then stored in the laundry room under the other totes that hold extra blankets and sesaonal items. The kids do not go into the laundry room so it has worked for us so far.

I usually leave them in the stoarge room at our family resturant, once I did however bury (yes, in the ground next to the shrubs) a really nice watch my DH wanted. He is super nosey and he goes through everything including the resturant and my office. So i put it in a ziploc bag, then into a sealable container and then buried it.

wow theses are some great ideas! il dont like to leave the gifts at other ppls homes but if we have anything big like last yr we bought our (then 17 month old)son a JDtractor power wheel and hid it at my mother in laws in her basement! but other than that they have been in my office closet here at home im gonna have to find somewhere else(hint the post i made in the wrapping thread) lol JillandJustin I cannot belive that your 3 yr old dont search i mean well mine dont search but he knows that theres toys in that closet lol and this yr he belives in santa so i HAVE to find a good spot lol

wow theses are some great ideas! il dont like to leave the gifts at other ppls homes but if we have anything big like last yr we bought our (then 17 month old)son a JDtractor power wheel and hid it at my mother in laws in her basement! but other than that they have been in my office closet here at home im gonna have to find somewhere else(hint the post i made in the wrapping thread) lol JillandJustin I cannot belive that your 3 yr old dont search i mean well mine dont search but he knows that theres toys in that closet lol and this yr he belives in santa so i HAVE to find a good spot lol

Yeah, I don't know why he doesn't. He is into EVERYTHING else :eyepoppin He seems to understand Santa...my school principal comes to the teachers' houses as Santa every year...We also live in a really old house that creaks with every step, so there is no sneaking :cheesy: Maybe that will come in handy when they are teenagers :eek:

I hide them under my daughters' beds. They never clean under there, anyway :)

But really, we hide them in our closets in trash bags, in the garage in trash bags, etc. The girls are not nosy, yet, but I am sure we will have to get better in the future.

when I was about 10 one year my mom didn't even bother hiding the new bike I ended up getting. She told me it was for the girl across the street! Silly me believed her.

I have the you peek it goes back rule at my house. So I don't really have to worry about gifts getting found - I just keep them underneath my bed.

mine always go into the linen closet under a huge pile of extra blankets, but they are on to me this year so I need to find somewhere else

make sure to put packages of socks and underwear in the linen closet - where the presents would normally go :D

since i only by for my husband its pretty easy he doesnt search at all. but i hide them in my laptop bag since the laptop is never in there and the office desk. He actually asked me where i hid his bday presents and I told him I couldnt tell him because then they couldnt be put there again.

We have a room that we put all of our guitars, amps, and drums and keyboard in. There is a decent size closet in there. So we use it for storage. So what I do is put them in some empty boxes and no one ever knows any difference because the boxes are usually marked with something that my kids would never think to look.. My boys are 11 and very nosy....So far they have never found any of their presents..My daughter is 3 so she is too young to pay attention.

I also put smaller stuff in suitcases. I put stuff on shelves usually in unmarked cardboard boxes. Basically anywhere I can think of....lol :)

I leave most in the open - mine are told (especially if they're shopping with me) that the stuff is for their cousins overseas. So far they've bought it, but I don't know if it will work this year because DD is sharper than a new pin.

As a backup, though, I also use the peek and return rule and the tote that the tree is stored in. And now that I've actually really cleaned house I have a bit more room :D

when I was about 10 one year my mom didn't even bother hiding the new bike I ended up getting. She told me it was for the girl across the street! Silly me believed her.

I have the you peek it goes back rule at my house. So I don't really have to worry about gifts getting found - I just keep them underneath my bed.

Reminds me of the year we bought ds (now 19) a computer. We had to buy the monitor separately and he went with us to get it. We told him we were picking it up for dh's aunt who works with computers a lot. He rode home in the car with it right beside him totally upset that it wasn't for him:tongue1:

We hide gifts in the whirlpool tub in the master bathroom. Nobody uses it so we put the gifts in it and cover them with a comforter and keep the door locked where only dh and I can get in. The kids use the other bathroom anyway.

...... once I did however bury (yes, in the ground next to the shrubs) a really nice watch my DH wanted. He is super nosey and he goes through everything including the resturant and my office. So i put it in a ziploc bag, then into a sealable container and then buried it.

That is awesome! lol!

I stick stuff in my kid's closets. They seem to only open the closets if they're throwing stuff in there that they don't want to put away while cleaning their rooms. I also hide things in luggage, file cabinets, our shed, my dresser, etc..... I even will keep small items in my purse. My kids also know though that if they go looking and find something, it goes back!

I put my unwrapped presents in my closet. I have a specific drawer I put them in and everyone knows not to go in it. When I wrap them, they go under the tree. Except for the Santa gifts (yes, my son is 11 and still believes in Santa) they get wrapped on Christmas Eve after he has gone to bed.

I was reading another thread about wrapping presents and then hiding them. My son is 3, so he isn't really ready to start searching for hiding places yet. I put all the wrapped gifts on a shelf in the spare bedroom closet.

It got me thinking about my mom (who had 3 DD's) and her hiding spots. Since I'm 7 and 10 years older than my sisters, I was in on a lot her hiding:

Behind rarely used small appliances in the kitchen cabinets

Under the out of season clothes in the basement

Under the spare towels in the linen closet

In my Dad's sock drawer and tool box

My closet (I had my own room and my sisters shared one)

Just wondering what creative places you all use?

Someone on here hid their items in the canoe hanging in the garage. Keep meaning to get a canoe...