Pets and Christmas

msivy

Sooo... in my house we have five kitties, one momma and four little babies and we love them to pieces. My DH and I regard them as children and our friend has called us both "crazy cat ladies" (yes, both of us) so this year we are going gift crazy for our babies. They're all getting new collars and nametags, new toys, new snacks, nice dinners, kitty condos... pretty much the works. Does anyone else do this weird stuff for their pets? If so, where do you tend to find good deals on pet stuff?

I am with you. We have 3 dogs, 3 birds and 1 cat in our house plus the 2 kids. All our furbabies and feathered babies get gifts on Christmas, Easter, Thangsgiving (special meal only) and on their birthdays. For Christmas they each have their own stockings.

We get most of our stuff at Petsmart, Petco and a few times I have ordered online. Last year I was able to get a Racecar bed for my little Yorkie. Of course the cat prefers it to him, he would rather be on our bed with his pillow. lol

We have to APBT's even though we have a DD8 we still go all out for our pups, which we treat like children and our parents even call them their granddogs. Last year we got them each a new bed from Ace for 10.00 each, and walgreens had a really cute gift set which had a bowl a rope toy and some squeeky toys in them for 10.00 each. then I usually go to Dollar Tree- Where everything is a dollar each and buy them toys there. We always do treats and such for our pups on Christmas. We even threw them a 1st birthday party (both from same litter- feb 7-07) with a doggie cake, made especially for dogs by a local dog "barkery" :) I don't think it is crazy at all. Pets tend to be like our children and I think could be treated as such. Spoil them. It will give you something to look forward to on Christmas morning......It'll be like watching kids/grandkids opening their gifts. And I bet they will probably get a bigger kick out of the balled up wrapping paper than the actual toys :)

I get Cinder (wolf/german shep mix) and Claudius (brit tabby) both presents on my birthday and for Christmas. Cinder gets more cause she will actually play with things and is alot bigger so she eats more. They both have their own stockings that the eat up while we are exchanging gifts. Cinder will usually find her BIG bone under the tree and Claudius will find his blanket sometimes before I get it wrapped. One year Cinder also claimed a comforter present as her own cause the cat got a blanket.

Also on Thanksgiving and Christmas, once we are done eating, I let Cinder and Claudius have their own turkey and ham plates.

My furbabies absolutely get presents! They are the most fun to buy!! I have three kitties now and a dog and a bunny. The bunny kinda gets jipped b/c he's back in his room but he still gets goodies brought to him. This year is the first Christmas for two of my kitties. We got one the Mondy after Christmas last year so all holiday stuff was packed up. I don't know if I'll survive a tree this year with a year old cat and a 6 month old kitten! A few years ago we bought a cat tree for our older cat (who is 2 and was the baby then) and our 7yr cat who has gone to heaven. My DH built it for them Christmas Eve and it was a blast! They were climbing the pieces and he couldn't get it built!!! Each of my furbabies (I don't have human ones) have stockings but most of their gifts never fit into them! They get toys, beds, treats, dishes - whatever looks cute. I don't have "real" kids to spoil so I spoil them shamlessly! We also have birthday gifts. The dog gets vanilla ice cream and cake (no frosting). Kitties have catnip. :)

We always do the pet presents first in the morning. I get them arranged at night before bed and all I have to do is whip them out of the closet - I keeps them occupied while DH and I open our gifts.

all the dogs in our family (Mine, my brothers, counsins and best friends) get gifts for xmas. usually stuff I buy in the after xmas sales the year before plus some treats. This year the smaller ones get cute outfits I got at Target and the Disney Store while the bigger ones get toys. Anybody else find that the target pet outfits run small?

Yes the Target outfits do run small. I have a 3 1/2lb Yorkie and I got him a Pirate costume last year it was tight on him. He wears an XS but this was tight and he hated it.

all the dogs in our family (Mine, my brothers, counsins and best friends) get gifts for xmas. usually stuff I buy in the after xmas sales the year before plus some treats. This year the smaller ones get cute outfits I got at Target and the Disney Store while the bigger ones get toys. Anybody else find that the target pet outfits run small?

Our dogs totally get presents! We have a German Shep. and a muttly cattle dog/GS mix.... they get stockings, and this year probably beds or blankies. The GS though always snoops and finds their stuff under the tree!!

I like Target dollar spot pet stuff- ours go through toys like crazy so the cheaper the better. Also, Target had loofa dogs for $1 last fall/winter, pretty decent size ones too. They also had the big rope toys for $1 (the ones that are about 10 bucks at petsmart)

My yellow lab is hard to buy for. She is 8 1/2 and doesn't like toys... Can't have any raw hide due to stomach problems, etc. I just make sure she has her chewy treats she loves so much.

My two Rat Terriers are a different story... I could buy for them all day. they LOVE toys. Any and all. LOVE any treats, etc.

Pig Ears are their favorite.

My yellow lab is hard to buy for. She is 8 1/2 and doesn't like toys... Can't have any raw hide due to stomach problems, etc. I just make sure she has her chewy treats she loves so much.

My two Rat Terriers are a different story... I could buy for them all day. they LOVE toys. Any and all. LOVE any treats, etc.

Pig Ears are their favorite.

Elena, Have you tried giving your Lab a knuckle bone? It's an actual cow knuckle, and is a huge bone. It's good for a dog's teeth, but doesn't get all gummy like a rawhide does, plus they last for a long time. Or going to the supermarket and buying the marrow bones that they have for soup. My Rottie and German Shepherd love these!

As for Gifts for my guys, they will prob. each get a toy and some treats. My Rottie will get a bag of popcorn- She goes nuts over it!

I also work at a kennel, where we have about 20 dogs. I am thinking of filling up Cans of treats for them all. I plan on doing the same thing for the horses at the barn. It's a neat little craft, and shouldn't be too hard- here's the link: http://craftsonawhim.com/node/82/

I like Target dollar spot pet stuff- ours go through toys like crazy so the cheaper the better. Also, Target had loofa dogs for $1 last fall/winter, pretty decent size ones too. They also had the big rope toys for $1 (the ones that are about 10 bucks at petsmart)

That is also a great spot AFTER the holidays. A few years ago I got some hard rubber bones at old navy after christmas maybe a dollar a piece? Our Australian Shepherd mix still has hers but one of the other dogs chewed through theirs so I guess it depends on the dog.

I guess that's where my aunt got the loofa dog's last year, it didn't last too long but I know she wouldn't spend much each on the pets. I saw them at petsmart for like $7 a small one.

Anyone else get cat outfits for the small dogs? I got some penguin collar/hat stuff and an elf hat/bell collar a few years ago at target. I'm sure she'll hate it but it's going to look so cute:)

Anyone else get cat outfits for the small dogs? I got some penguin collar/hat stuff and an elf hat/bell collar a few years ago at target. I'm sure she'll hate it but it's going to look so cute:)

Lol. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have three cats and if anyone TRIED to put an outfit on them would end up found dead in their bed.

Dogs are stupid, they tolerate things :D (And I've got 2)

We have dogs, cats, kids, a squirrel (yep, read that right) and feed the squirrels and birds year round in our yard.

Each animal has their own stocking and get a few treats.

Last year, our last hamster died. DD wants more hamsters for her birthday. I'm not sure about it yet. As most kids, I take care of the pets myself :cool:

We have a 6 yr old Shih Tzu and this year we have a now 6 month old Lhasa. Our dog always got a stocking. We just fill it w/ treats and new toys. Also, they get a "special" breakfast and dinner on the holidays. Usually the left overs of whatever meats we're having. Our older dog has always been right w/ us in the thick of it when we open our presents Christmas morning.

We have 3 furbabies they each have their own stockings filled with their favorite treats! They all get toys, new collars & name tags every year....I even have pics of the furbabies opening their gifts...well gift bags my Princess can see one from a mile away and digs through all the paper to get to the good stuff. She is very smart dog...she also starts to whine when she hears the voice at the drive thru....um no I don't think that my dogs are spoiled at all.

anyone going to get their dog a snuggie?

LOL my mom emailed me a pic of one tongiht and told me that is what she is getting our dogs for Christmas. We have two pitbulls and although I think they would look adorable in them. I am not thinking they dig them much. Although we do dress them up every halloween and they seem to tolerate it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Our 2 dogs usually each get a new toy and some kind of treat. I know you're not supposed to give dogs rawhide because of the choking hazard but I often will buy the big huge Christmas rawhide bone at Petsmart for $9.99.

Also, my westie could really use the pet Snuggie. It's a great idea madisonaurusrex, thanks!

I always buy for my fur babies too...but not this year :( things are so tight I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get for my real kids...

Ya know, pets are REALLY not picky about gifts! ;) Watch for super-cheap deals on treats or toys for them... check garage sales (if it's still warm enough where you live) or Goodwill for cheap kids' toys that they'd enjoy... if you think outside the box, you could probably even MAKE something for them!

Case in point.... Check out the thread in this subforum about homemade gifts: they were talking about making gift baskets but using 2 liter bottles to hold the stuff, and it gave me an idea for an almost-free cat toy: rinse out and take the label off of a small bottle (like the new 12oz pop bottles), stick a couple of jingle bells (or some pennies or rocks) and some catnip inside the bottle; put the cap on, then poke a few small holes where the label used to be (so the catnip smell can get out); get a piece of felt in the craft aisle at Walmart and cut it to fit over the label area, then glue it on (probably should keep the extra felt, esp if kitty isn't declawed!)... and that's it! Now, what playful, catnip-loving kitty wouldn't have a blast with that?! LOL

Then there's also the after-Christmas sales, when you could check out PetSmart and any other places that typically have holiday stuff for pets... Who says the pets can't have their Christmas celebration a day or two later-- extend the fun! Get the kids involved and throw the pets their own little "party" with the kids as the hosts or hostesses! :)