>>> Official Black Friday GPS Navigation Unit Discussion Thread <<< (updated 11/29)

Marcster

Okay....after MUCH research, I'm going with the Navagon 2100 at RadioShack.

I really wanted voice street names and that seemed to drive up the price.

In the info below it also says it has Speed warnings..posts speed and notifies

you with verbal and visual warnings. Also LOVE the Reality View of the roads

and signs. DH and I were just traveling and different states had confusing

intersections! so this will help. I'll have to check out the $99 value Traffic Service included.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/navigon-2100-wows-consumers/

I decided to get two of these too. IT seems like the best GPS deal this BF!

Hey folks --- http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Hello-Bye/hellothere.gif

An important note about text-to-speach:

Most (but not all!) GPS units have audible instructions, as the standard. For instance, you will hear the unit say: "Turn right at the next intersection."

Text-to-speech is a step up from that. It would change that to say: "Turn right onto Oakleaf Lane."

That's the basic difference. The only real benefit to text-to-speech is if they actually put street signs up at intersections near you. In a big city, that would be beneficial, if you live out in Sticksville, you may not have that many street signs for you to look at and double-check, making text-to-speech a non-issue.

Whether that really matters to you is up to you, but I wouldn't have that factor determine which unit I bought.

I'm having real problems deciding on a text-to-voice model. The cheapest are Garmin StreetPilot c340 at $199 @CC, the mysterious Invion 3.5" Text To Voice Touchscreen GPS System for $169.88 @ JCPenney, and the Navigon 2100 for $149.99 @ RadioShack. Garmin has the best name recognition but is available for not much over that on Amazon right now, so not that great a BF deal.

The Navigon looks like the best deal based on features, but I'm concerned that the reviews of the Navigon are all based on the specs. Ok, fine, but how does it work? Amazon reviews of the other Navigon models have a fairly high proportion of negatives and many people seem to believe that the company hasn't worked out all the kinks yet. I'd hate to buy the Navigon, find it doesn't work well, and then have no chance to get another deal.

Anybody know what the return policies are on GPS units? I'm considering buying several, testing them, and returning the ones I don't like. Would I be looking at a restocking fee?

so yes to mio 220 or no

Thats what i want to know about the mio220 for 99 with txt to voice seems pretty good...As other users i was thinking about the tomtom le at bb for 119 but seems to be lacking on on voice featured...any thoughts...

One nifty thing about Mio GPS units is that they are built on the Windows CE operating system and can be modified for additional features, Red Light Camera or Speed Cameras anyone??? How about changing the "skin"? (similar to the desktop on a computer). How about watching a video file, viewing pictures, etc. on your Mio? (even though it doesn't have that feature "in the box", apparently, you can add software to it to give it additional functionality).

Go here to read more: http://www.hugginsnet.com/ilovemymio/

I don't know too much about what's involved, but if you like to play around with modifying software to suite your unique needs, Mio seems like a winner.

So, I read that the Tom Tom one that best buy will be having for $119 is not text-to-voice. but does it have audible instructions such as saying "turn right at next intersection"?

The TomTom One units have voice prompts. The TomTom One XL-S @ Office Depot has text-to-speech.

Thats what i want to know about the mio220 for 99 with txt to voice seems pretty good...As other users i was thinking about the tomtom le at bb for 119 but seems to be lacking on on voice featured...any thoughts...

I dont believe the Mio220 has text-to-voice.

I dont believe the Mio220 has text-to-voice.

Neither do I... http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/NO/b0fe4685.gif I believe it does have the normal audio clues "Turn left at the next intersection."

I'll double-check when I have the time to do all of them.

Hey folks --- http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Hello-Bye/hellothere.gif

An important note about text-to-speach:

Most (but not all!) GPS units have audible instructions, as the standard. For instance, you will hear the unit say: "Turn right at the next intersection."

Text-to-speech is a step up from that. It would change that to say: "Turn right onto Oakleaf Lane."

That's the basic difference. The only real benefit to text-to-speech is if they actually put street signs up at intersections near you. In a big city, that would be beneficial, if you live out in Sticksville, you may not have that many street signs for you to look at and double-check, making text-to-speech a non-issue.

Whether that really matters to you is up to you, but I wouldn't have that factor determine which unit I bought.

OMgosh...you know, I knew that..thats why I wanted T to Sp cuz I can never see the signs

till I'm close up and wanted to rely on the GPS...but i would be better off with "turn left

at the next street". As with a street name, I'd have to be looking to see if its the street!

Make sense? Oh boy,:cheesy: what to do....thought my search was over. My second choice

was the Mio. Hmmmm...:rolleyes:

Like we were just in Geneva NY, ONStar told us the name of the intersection to turn, but could never find any

signs!:mad: The 'ding" was our cue that it must be time to turn. So I'm having my "Aha" moment here.

Thanks MArcster! duh...

I just added the units from Office Depot, CompUSA, and the other ones from Staples (beyond the first page).

Can I just say that when I started this project, I thought there would only be a dozen or so to keep track of...

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Hmmm/hypnotised.gif

I also moved "second-tier" units and the lone handheld unit under their own spoiler tag... Trying to clean things up a bit.

I still have to find reviews for some of the new units. I'll also trying to figure out the pros/cons and mute vs. audible alerts vs. text-to-speech of each unit...

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Hmmm/hypnotised.gifhttp://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Hmmm/hypnotised.gif

Is it just me, or is the Navigon 2100 going to give the TomTom One LE a run for its money?

Although the reviews for the Navigon 2100 were general, it seems like a pretty good buy.

Does anyone know anymore specifics about the Navigon 2100? The things I'm wondering about specifically are:

1) How easy will it recalculate your route?

2) How long does it take to find the satellite signal?

3) Itinerary planning/Multidestination planning available?

4) User-friendly?

5) Determines good routes instead of long, drawn out routes?

Marcster, thanks for all your hard work.

The Navigon 2100 sounds good but the bad feedback makes me wonder how reliable it is. I currently have a 2 year old Garmin i2 which is the basic of basic GPS out there. I need an upgrade at least to a color screen.

How would Mio compare to Navigon as a brand?

And thanks for all the info displayed here, very informative.

The Navigon 2100 sounds good but the bad feedback makes me wonder how reliable it is. I currently have a 2 year old Garmin i2 which is the basic of basic GPS out there. I need an upgrade at least to a color screen.

How would Mio compare to Navigon as a brand?

And thanks for all the info displayed here, very informative.

Your welcome.... It is a lot of work. I don't want to think about how many hours I've been putting into this.

I just gave both Mios and the Navigon the "more intensive" treatment. Go back here for the latest "edition".

I am still totally on the fence about recommending the Navigon. I can't find a single review of someone who owns a 2100. The reviews on the 5100 and 7100 are not the greatest though. Apparently the Navigon doesn't always find the most direct route and can take 2-7 minutes for a satellite lock. With that kind of wait, you almost need to start it up inside your house while you are getting read to leave...

From what I've read, the Mios are really cool. They have a lot of features not found on other units in the same price point. The C320 has a widescreen and text-to-speech (over the c220). It is $50 more, but if that isn't a problem then go for the C320 > C220.

The only drawbacks to the Mios is apparently they aren't as easy to use as some of the other units (but are fine once you get the hang of things), they also can find POI near where you are, but not along your route, for instance your route to Grandma's might be diverted 3 miles out of your way to go visit that post office right near your house, but you might be passing one on your way to Grandma's (does that make sense?, if so, good -- that's what I'm getting from some of these reviews).

Even if you DON'T plann on modding your Mio, the strong support group http://hugginsnet.com/ilovemymio should be able to help you if you can't figure something out...

If you do want to mod your Mio, then by all means... That is THE one to get. Look at some of the map skins people are doing: http://gpstrooper.googlepages.com/miomapskins, and that just scratches the surface.

Is the mio c220 silent or does it have (turn right in 500 ft instructions) I know its not text to speech but is it text to voice. Please someone answer this for me

The Mio c220 has Voice Prompts. I haven't reviewed one that is silent yet...

EDIT: ALL of the units being offered at BF pricing have either voice prompts or text to speech.

Mio will tell you to "take next left in ** yards (or meters, if you choose, with either a US or British accent)". The operation of the unit could not be any easier as I said in my previous post. POI, speed limit, & speed cams are built in from the start. You can also add your own if you want. It is also very hackable from what I have read and there are many things you can add to the unit after it is hacked. The touch screen works very well and is easy to read both day and night. It can be set to automatically dim itself at night. Mine feels very solid and after a year of use it shows no sign of any problem. Get one, you'll be glad you did not pay a lot and you still get where you are going. The routing complaints someone voiced about other units have not occured with me. The address may be on the left or right side of the road but it has never sent me the wrong way on a one way street.

So I'm a little confused. I read one place where the TomTom that Staples will have is silent and another where it has voice prompts (turn left at the next street or turn left onto Oak street). Can someone clarify for me please? :confused:

Thanks!

SORRY--- The TomTom units have voice prompts... (Turn right in 500 ft.)

Some reviews were misleading or confusing.

I repeat: ALL of the units being offered at BF pricing have either voice prompts or text to speech.

I have arranged *ALL* of the units in my original posts and added extended details for all of them (go here: http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=87388).

Pardon me while my head explodes. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Sad%20Upset/scream.gif

Thanks you Marcster!!! :D

Your welcome!

I think I'm done, barring some unreleased ad coming to light prior to BF. If any of my information is incorrect, someone please don't hesitate to tell me... I was careful, but I've been wrong before, and I can't vouch 100% for the reviews I was reading... Remember what you paid for my advice if you have any complaints. ;)

Maybe later I'll come up with a "Marcster's Short List" (what I would choose for different price points). The only problem with that is that what I would choose may not be at a store you are going to.