>>> Official Black Friday DIGITAL CAMERA Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Consumer Reports does not rate Kodak as having a high repair probability. Sames as Sony and Canon. Panasonic was best. I still love Sony and Canon. Never owned a kodak except for a poloroid years ago. Just won't tell you how many years ago. Ha ha ha ha.

Walgreen's has a Poloroid i733 7.0 MP camera for $109 after $20 Easy Rebate. I believe if you take the Gift Card route, you get $22 back. Takes SD cards and those are very affordable now.

Link to Camera

Link to Memory Cards

I am in search for a much smaller camera that I can charge up. Mine is a Toshiba that I bought awhile back and is very bulky with a small view window. Also uses batteries and I got through a pack every use.

I plan on visiting family as well as having a few baby's to sneak snaps at so I am looking for a nice view screen, rechargeable, as well as a convenient size :)

Aside from MP's, what other features should I look for in a digital camera? I am looking for one in the $100-$150 range for my 13 yo dd.

You want to look for optical zoom as opposed to digital zoom, and definitely do some online research to at flickr and cnet, etc (here too!) to see the quality of images, features, pros & cons, etc. of any cameras you're considering. Optics are more important than megapixels for quality, since once you get up past 5mp or so, if you're printing regular 4x6 prints without cropping, there won't be much difference. If you're cropping a lot, or printing bigger photos, 7-8mp should be sufficient for most users. Canon's optics have always been quite reliable, and Sony's Carl Zeiss optics are excellent too. Those two brands would be my top two picks. I'd take a 5mp Zeiss lense over a camera with a lesser lense and 8mp any day. Oh, another thing you might want to look for would be a camera that uses the lithium type rechargeable batteries instead of just plain-ol AA's. You'll spend a fortune in batteries otherwise.

I'm in the market for a better camera than I currently have.

I'd love a SLR, but Not too sure if I can afford all the lenses I'd want for it.

I like to take pics of my boys playing sports and lots of scenic shots.

But also some upclose macro shots too.. so I need something better than what I

have. I have a dig camera that is low in MP's but takes great action shots.

Macro on it sucks though. :(

Check out the Canon G9 (or G7). I just got a G9 and I'm very happy with it. I'm in the same boat - would love a dslr to replace my old non-digi slr, but not ready to spend the $$$ yet. I did, however want a really good p&s for kids' sports photos, portraits, and macro too. This camera does it all - plenty of manual overrides as well as lots of great scene modes and custom settings too. It's pretty fast, and I've had good success getting shots of my son playing hockey in an indoor rink, in both sports mode and shutter speed priority mode with a high iso and fast shutter speeds. I also got some nice portraits of the kids in both portrait mode and aperture priority mode. Lots of flexibility. It has macro, but I haven't worked with it yet, however the shots I've seen online look pretty darn good. The best price I found was at Amazon a few weeks ago.

Please God, or any corporate BigWig, Let there be a GREAT deal on a SLR camera

on BF. My DS8 Dropped my dig. camera and now is acting up.

If you want to go the SLR route, check Costco - they had the Canon Rebel XT with two lenses and a free 1 or 2 gb (can't remember which) memory card for a pretty darn good price a few weeks ago when I was looking. I almost sprang for it. Almost. But i opted for a p&s instead.

Just went by Best Buy yesterday to get a feel for the cameras, and ours had most of the SLRs pulled from display. Couldn't get a straight answer as to why. :gdparanoid:

I did try out a Sony and a Cannon (can't remember the model numbers). Both were $299, 10x. The Sony was able to manually push to ISO 3200, which is really good for me. However, haven't heard much about the Sony cameras. Sales guy did say that both of those had slight delay times. But for $300 less than the Nikon D40 or the Rebel, how much of a delay time is there and is worth the difference?!?!

Anyways, I'd love to be able to sit there and try them all out at the same time and see how fast I can take the pics. I may not camp out for BF, but hopefully there will be a good sale that weekend on something else and I'll get some more BB bucks -- already have $120 worth :P

For those looking at an entry level DSLR I'd opt for the Canon over the Nikon. The Nikon seems to have a higher digital noise issue when shooting at high ISOs.

Also, when you get into the realm of DSLR, you most important purchase is going to be your lenses. Get a feel for what you shoot and how how fast your lens needs to be.

For those looking at an entry level DSLR I'd opt for the Canon over the Nikon. The Nikon seems to have a higher digital noise issue when shooting at high ISOs.

Also, when you get into the realm of DSLR, you most important purchase is going to be your lenses. Get a feel for what you shoot and how how fast your lens needs to be.

I think you are mistaken. Nikon's are lower noise at higher ISO than canon. You can check any of the review sites and come to that conclusion.

Nikon D3 will shoot at ISO1600 with hardly any noise at all. My D50 has better high ISO noise levels than the XT/XTi.

Isn't the Nikon D40/D40x the best selling dSLR out there right now? Hrm I wonder why?

Pete

If you want to go the SLR route, check Costco - they had the Canon Rebel XT with two lenses and a free 1 or 2 gb (can't remember which) memory card for a pretty darn good price a few weeks ago when I was looking. I almost sprang for it. Almost. But i opted for a p&s instead.

I've seen the D40 kit's under 450.00. How much better of a deal did you want?

I think you are mistaken. Nikon's are lower noise at higher ISO than canon. You can check any of the review sites and come to that conclusion.

Nikon D3 will shoot at ISO1600 with hardly any noise at all. My D50 has better high ISO noise levels than the XT/XTi.

Isn't the Nikon D40/D40x the best selling dSLR out there right now? Hrm I wonder why?

Pete

You might want to check your "best selling" facts.

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3904/top-5-digital-slrs-for-january.html

You are comparing a 4500.00 camera! For 4500.00 Nikon better be able to produce an image with acceptable noise at 1600. Test it against the MkIII if you want to be fair.

I wish I could post links here to show the horrible noise in the Nikon compared to that of a similar level Canon.

Oh look! I can!

Canon 400D/XTi. ISO 1600

http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Canon-Rebel-XTi-Nikon-D80/samples_canon400D/05_400D-ISO1600.JPG

Nikon D80. ISO 1600 (even with on camera noise reduction enabled.)

http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Canon-Rebel-XTi-Nikon-D80/samples_nikonD80/05_D80-ISO1600NR1.JPG

Any thoughts on this one? I'm a navious picture taker and would finally like to buy a camera to where I don't have to worrie about blurry pics or out of focus pics. Or for that matter camera's that I will be ducktaping or throwing away in a yr. Any help would be great. Its seems like a winner. (ps thanks to the OP who posted the link)

Linda

Canon

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00353447000P?keyword=canon%207.1&vName=Computers%20&%20Electronics&cName=Cameras%20&%20Camcorders&sName=Digital%20Cameras%20&%20Bundles&sid=I0084400010000100600&aff=Y

Any thoughts on this one? I'm a navious picture taker and would finally like to buy a camera to where I don't have to worrie about blurry pics or out of focus pics. Or for that matter camera's that I will be ducktaping or throwing away in a yr. Any help would be great. Its seems like a winner. (ps thanks to the OP who posted the link)

Linda

Canon

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00353447000P?keyword=canon%207.1&vName=Computers%20&%20Electronics&cName=Cameras%20&%20Camcorders&sName=Digital%20Cameras%20&%20Bundles&sid=I0084400010000100600&aff=Y

Hi! I'm not sure how much price is a factor in this. You say you have a problem with blurry shots, I understand that!

For $70 bucks more, you could move up the A570 IS which adds image stabalization.

This comes in great for indoor low light shots and night sports.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00353439000P?filter=Brand%7CCanon&vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Cameras+%26+Camcorders&sName=Digital+Cameras+%26+Bundles

Anyone here have a Kodak Z712??

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/kodak-easyshare-z712-is/4505-6501_7-32412495.html?tag=prod.txt.1

The reviews seem very good on CNET and other sites out there. We are needing to replace our existing camera and would like to be able to take find a camera with image stabliaztion that takes good family type pictures (including night) with a good zoom in the $200-$250 price range.

Hi! I'm not sure how much price is a factor in this. You say you have a problem with blurry shots, I understand that!

For $70 bucks more, you could move up the A570 IS which adds image stabalization.

This comes in great for indoor low light shots and night sports.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00353439000P?filter=Brand%7CCanon&vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Cameras+%26+Camcorders&sName=Digital+Cameras+%26+Bundles

The A560 is a great point-and-shoot camera, with quality much better than it's entry-level pricing. However, you can get that same A570IS for only $158 at Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-A570IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B000NK3H4S/ref=sr_1_3/105-1397197-0843643?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1194296229&sr=1-3

The A560 is a great point-and-shoot camera, with quality much better than it's entry-level pricing. However, you can get that same A570IS for only $158 at Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-A570IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B000NK3H4S/ref=sr_1_3/105-1397197-0843643?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1194296229&sr=1-3

It is! I've read great things about it. I was just trying to suggest the IS for the problems the poster was talking about. :)

But that lower price point on the A570IS really makes that tempting!

I've seen the D40 kit's under 450.00. How much better of a deal did you want?

That's a good deal. Curious where? It wasn't the deal that swayed me though - I was on the fence about whether to go dslr or p&s, as I was really looking to replace my p&s that we lost, though I found the dslr's tempting! I still have my old Canon AE-1 if I decide to lug around a slr, and really need something smaller for certain circumstances, so decided on a p&s instead this time around.

the only reason the Nikon D40 might sway me is that I found out my dad's ultra-expensive professional Nikon lens for his old 35 mm will fit the D40 with a kit. The kit is still WAAAAAAAY cheaper than the lens. That's the lens he bought for when he was taking pictures of my dancing professionally, and those pictures always came out great. Back of the theatre, me on stage, sometimes in the back row, and the detail was always great. No flash, too!

But still, to me, I need to have a good speed and the basic camera has to take good pictures. Great lenses help, but if the camera itself takes lousy pics, it doesn't help.

Cheapest I saw the D40 (regular, not the D40x) was $449.00 at Target, but now it's back up.

the D40 / D40x are great cameras, but if you are going to buy one, you should know that they will only Auto-Focus with AF-S and AF-I lenses, so if you have an older lens, everything will probably be manual focus. The higher end Nikons and the entry level Canon cameras have a focus drive, so they can auto-focus with a non AF lens.

the D40 / D40x are great cameras, but if you are going to buy one, you should know that they will only Auto-Focus with AF-S and AF-I lenses, so if you have an older lens, everything will probably be manual focus. The higher end Nikons and the entry level Canon cameras have a focus drive, so they can auto-focus with a non AF lens.

Right. I'm also wondering, do you lose any f/stops with the adapters on the Nikons? Also, need to take into account you will be using the lens on a crop body which will change the reach on the lenses. Good on the long end, bad on the short end.

If a person is already in possesion of a stock pile of good lenses that are compatible with a certain brand, then I highly recommend sticking with that brand. :)

Longhorn, you seem so knowledgeable and I am soooooo confused. Could you help me? I also have an slr only Canon camera that a friend used to shoot portraits. It has some very nice lenses. I was thinking of getting a digital canon slr to use these lens but is it hard and complicated to change them? I was thinking it might be too complicated and i don't even know if the lenses would fit or do I need something special to fit them on a digital slr? Thank you!!

Longhorn, you seem so knowledgeable and I am soooooo confused. Could you help me? I also have an slr only Canon camera that a friend used to shoot portraits. It has some very nice lenses. I was thinking of getting a digital canon slr to use these lens but is it hard and complicated to change them? I was thinking it might be too complicated and i don't even know if the lenses would fit or do I need something special to fit them on a digital slr? Thank you!!

I'll try to help you as much as I can.

Feel free to PM me with what lenses you have. You say they are with a Canon SLR, are they EF and EF-S lenses?

OK guys, help me out here. I have one of the original point/shoot digital cameras...i can take 20pics...no memory card, heavy and bulky. SOOOO, i've decided it's def. time for an upgrade to something smaller, lighter, and holds more pictures (I don't need it to take thousands, but maybe 200-400 for vacations). I'd like something with a view screen to see the pics after i take them, no different lenses (not looking to make this a career), flash, good for night shots...you get the idea. I also don't want to spend more than like $100 on this...would love to find something nice cheap on BF...any ideas for me???

I have no idea what I use...it's a Fujifilm FinePix 2400Zoom 3X optical zoom, 2.1 mega pixels.

That uses the older bigger SmartMedia cards.

Take a look at that Canon A560 that Sears has right now. it's $119.00 but worth the jump. Has newer technology and you'll notice a big jump in the image quality of your shots!