GottaDEAL 2019 Black Friday Prize Club Posting Thread

Brad

Toys R Us plans second act by holiday season
http://media.graytvinc.com/images/810*455/1280x720_80626P00-IWPBP.jpg
Toys "R" Us, Photo Date: 4/19/14 / Photo: Mike Mozart / CC BY 2.0 / (MGN)
By The Associated Press | 
Posted: Tue 10:32 AM, Feb 12, 2019
Social-Facebook-34.pngSocial-Twitter-34.pngSocial-LinkedIn-34.pngSocial-Google-34.pngSocial-Email-34.png Social-Print-34.png

NEW YORK (AP) — Toys R Us fans in the U.S. should see the iconic brand re-emerge in some form by this holiday season.

Richard Barry, a former Toys R Us executive and now CEO of the new company called Tru Kids Brands, told The Associated Press he and his team are still working on the details, but they're exploring various options including freestanding stores and shops within existing stores. He says that e-commerce will play a key role.

Toys R Us, buckling under competition from Amazon and several billions of dollars of debt, filed for Chapter 11 reorganization in September 2017 and then liquidated its businesses last year in the U.S. as well as several other regions including the United Kingdom.

In October, a group of investors won an auction for Toys R Us assets, believing they would do better by potentially reviving the toy chain, rather than selling it off for parts. Starting Jan. 20, Barry and several other former Toys R Us executives founded Tru Kids and are now managing the Toys R Us, Babies R Us and Geoffrey brands. Toys R Us generated $3 billion in global retail sales in 2018. Tru Kids estimates that 40 percent to 50 percent of Toys R Us market share is still up for grabs despite many retailers like Walmart and Target expanding their toy aisles.

"These brands are beloved by customers," said Barry. He noted that the company will focus on experiences in the physical stores, which could be about 10,000 square feet. The original Toys R Us stores were roughly about 40,000 square feet.

Barry said he and his team have been reaching out to toy makers and have received strong support. But he acknowledged that many had been burned by the Toys R Us liquidation.

Tru Kids, based in Parsippany, New Jersey, about a 20 minute drive from Wayne, New Jersey, where Toys R Us was based, will work with licensing partners to open 70 stores this year in Asia, India and Europe. Outside the U.S., Toys R Us continues to operate about 800 stores.

• Like 5

*doing the happy dance*

Just got myself out of bed on my own for the first time in a month.

Freedom!

Great news!!

Not to wish my life away or anything, but we're one month closer to Black Friday!

Did y'all see where Hallmark channel is playing Christmas movies every Friday all year long?

For now - Happy Valentine's Day, Happy Black History Month, Happy Heart Health Month, Happy whatever I'm missing! :)

I’ll have to see if my coworker knows about the Hallmark channel playing Christmas movies still. She loves watching them.

Toys R Us plans second act by holiday season

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/810*455/1280x720_80626P00-IWPBP.jpg
Toys "R" Us, Photo Date: 4/19/14 / Photo: Mike Mozart / CC BY 2.0 / (MGN)
By The Associated Press | 
Posted: Tue 10:32 AM, Feb 12, 2019
Social-Facebook-34.pngSocial-Twitter-34.pngSocial-LinkedIn-34.pngSocial-Google-34.pngSocial-Email-34.png Social-Print-34.png

NEW YORK (AP) — Toys R Us fans in the U.S. should see the iconic brand re-emerge in some form by this holiday season.

Richard Barry, a former Toys R Us executive and now CEO of the new company called Tru Kids Brands, told The Associated Press he and his team are still working on the details, but they're exploring various options including freestanding stores and shops within existing stores. He says that e-commerce will play a key role.

Toys R Us, buckling under competition from Amazon and several billions of dollars of debt, filed for Chapter 11 reorganization in September 2017 and then liquidated its businesses last year in the U.S. as well as several other regions including the United Kingdom.

In October, a group of investors won an auction for Toys R Us assets, believing they would do better by potentially reviving the toy chain, rather than selling it off for parts. Starting Jan. 20, Barry and several other former Toys R Us executives founded Tru Kids and are now managing the Toys R Us, Babies R Us and Geoffrey brands. Toys R Us generated $3 billion in global retail sales in 2018. Tru Kids estimates that 40 percent to 50 percent of Toys R Us market share is still up for grabs despite many retailers like Walmart and Target expanding their toy aisles.

"These brands are beloved by customers," said Barry. He noted that the company will focus on experiences in the physical stores, which could be about 10,000 square feet. The original Toys R Us stores were roughly about 40,000 square feet.

Barry said he and his team have been reaching out to toy makers and have received strong support. But he acknowledged that many had been burned by the Toys R Us liquidation.

Tru Kids, based in Parsippany, New Jersey, about a 20 minute drive from Wayne, New Jersey, where Toys R Us was based, will work with licensing partners to open 70 stores this year in Asia, India and Europe. Outside the U.S., Toys R Us continues to operate about 800 stores.

I really hope to see some stores open this year. We missed going there to shop. I wonder if they will take over and reopen some of the previous locations. If so I can think of a few that were doing well before they company closed.

• Like 1

*doing the happy dance*

Just got myself out of bed on my own for the first time in a month.

Freedom!

While I am going gingerly and slowly, I have "sprung a leak" under my left breast. This has happened sporadically throughout my healing, and the surgeon's office has told me not to be concerned, as long as it's not a lot, nor an opening in the incision area is apparent. This time the blood flowed much more heavily, but only lasted a brief time.

My partner put a guaze dressing on it, and we are keeping an eye on it to see if it gets saturated quickly as I use my arms more and more.

I truly hope I don't need to cut back, but will watch and see.

Edited by Gator Pam
  • Like 1

I really hope to see some stores open this year. We missed going there to shop. I wonder if they will take over and reopen some of the previous locations. If so I can think of a few that were doing well before they company closed.

read the article, no they will target much smaller locations, they are wanting around 10,000 sq feet the old stores were around 40,000 sq ft

read the article, no they will target much smaller locations, they are wanting around 10,000 sq feet the old stores were around 40,000 sq ft

I did but those words seemed to come from the person writing it not the person who is in charge. Not sure what a 10,000 sf store would look like for them but the old stores had a lot of sections that just really weren't needed so I could realistically see them 1/2 the size but at 1/4 I think they would be doing the store itself an injustice (IMO).

• Like 1

I did but those words seemed to come from the person writing it not the person who is in charge. Not sure what a 10,000 sf store would look like for them but the old stores had a lot of sections that just really weren't needed so I could realistically see them 1/2 the size but at 1/4 I think they would be doing the store itself an injustice (IMO).

I agree. If they are coming back out they have to do something different but still attract there old following. If they only did a quarter there is no way to have that TRU fell. Half is pushing it but achievable if done right. 

• Like 1

Happy Vaentine's Day    

I can't believe February is half over already!  Spring has already sprung down here.....I already have weeds and today we had a high pollen alert.  For the love of pete I'm not ready for that in February.  Ugh.  

:gdiagree:  I know what you mean - we have flowers already! Hubby has to mow the back yard where the dog goes out for all the weeds and tall grass - he is NOT happy! :(

Happy "LATE" Valentines.... mine was uggggg....... . I got a huge present from the FLU!!!!! So in bed I was .....

OH, NO! NOT a good present! :(  Take care of yourself and feel better soon! :gdgetwell:

Happy "LATE" Valentines.... mine was uggggg....... . I got a huge present from the FLU!!!!! So in bed I was .....

Oh no!!!!  What a stinker!.  I thought we had made it through the worst part of the season in terms of my work but not so much.  It finally hit my area and now everyone that walks into the ER gets a flu test, many are positive.  

Hope you feel better soon!!  

• Like 2

So one of my best friends has a Valentine’s Day birthday. Since he lives a solid 4.5-5 hrs drive away from me, I send him a box with his gifts every year, which always includes a batch of his fave lemon cookies. This year, he actually had the day off so he was home when his box came. He had cookies for lunch. lol [emoji38][emoji106]

In other news, I have hit the 115 lb weight loss mark as of this morning. So geeked. Here’s my latest side-by-sides from Friday.

5e2d84848a8b10589d553a43e88a5b26.jpg329316755562cf32314684695598de2b.jpg

• Like 12

I wonder if they are going to do the same thing KB Toys did.  Basically shut all retail year-round stores and open in the mall for just the Holiday season.

So one of my best friends has a Valentine’s Day birthday. Since he lives a solid 4.5-5 hrs drive away from me, I send him a box with his gifts every year, which always includes a batch of his fave lemon cookies. This year, he actually had the day off so he was home when his box came. He had cookies for lunch. lol [emoji38][emoji106]

In other news, I have hit the 115 lb weight loss mark as of this morning. So geeked. Here’s my latest side-by-sides from Friday.

Congrats - you look great! :yelclap:

Awesome work :)

How, exactly, are you doing this?  Amazing progress and you're losing it in all the right places, as they say.  

Just curious, does anyone know when the best time to buy an all in one printer?  Really I just want a scanner as mine is about 8 years old and would like an upgrade, but depending on the price I might as well get an all in one.  I know there are some for 30-40 bucks on Walmart and other sites, but wondering if there is a good time to possibly get some on clearance.