Is Black Friday dead?

fabnsab

I am never one who says how bad ads are yearly. I think moving it to Thursday, coupled w more online focus has officially killed Black Friday.

These ads aren't even trying anymore! Even when I don't need anything, I'll find a way to go and spend money. Nothing I see is even worthy of a 30 minute line.

Walmart even killed their guaranteed items, which were awesome!

And I notice the boards seem dead too. It makes me sad. I used to treat ad leaks and the community as it's own season and it all feels so abandoned now.

• Like 5

Best Buy has a strong ad, but Walmart surely decided not to play this year. Since these ads were created under an economic climate which was pretty uncertain, it is understandable that some companies held back their best. Look how many stores may not see the light of day next year like Sears/Kmart. Perhaps with a new year and a new administration will bring about a change which will be more conducive to deals like we are used to.

Another thing to remember is that of the major participants this season, just how many of them still have their traditional competition? many of our old favorites have long since departed into the fondest of memories...the ghosts of Black Fridays past.

What this season needs is a strong market rebound and regional stores to expand to fill the gaps so that other stores need to try harder to impress you.

We are fortunate to still have a viable forum that will be around for years to come. I agree that participation is down, even with the live shows. I am optimistic that all of this will change but we have to see new companies to realize this.

If you really want to see a dead forum, go to the other major competitor (hint: watermarks) that only appears to serve as a major ad release hub and that is all they seem to be able to attract..the drive-byes that read the ads then leave.

I will again say that Walmart crushed a lot of hopes. They eliminated the events, cut back on their ad in general, put out sub-par TVs as their showcase items and kept the worst part...the Thursday opening.

So what to make of all this? I will bet that Walmart moves back to Friday next year with one sale, bad or good. Best Buy will follow with one sale after having been duped. And then something great will happen in 2017, the return to traditional values and Black Friday on Black Friday.

• Like 3

If it's dead, does that mean I can shut things down for the year? Would make things easier with this new puppy I have here to take care of :P

It means nothing of the sort.

Have you taught the puppy to sit? Roll over? Pee outside? Ad linking and online checking?

• Like 2

It means nothing of the sort.

Have you taught the puppy to sit? Roll over? Pee outside? Ad linking and online checking?

She's got the sit part down:

http://www.olsonnet.com/images/hazel.jpg

but she's not good at anything Black Friday-related yet. Hopefully she'll be trained by next year.

• Like 23

I don't think it is dead! It has changed, evolved into an entire different entity! However, I do think there will be pushback in the upcoming years, and will change again. Even possible into something that might resemble " Black Friday ". I recall a few years ago one of my very first posts was about" cyber Monday" . I recall being called out ( possibly from Brad ;) ) that is was't a thing, only hype.now it has turned into a day!

Embrace the change, but don't think it is dead! I remember when Black Friday shoppers were like an exclusive club, because not that many people would be " crazy" enough to participate!

• Like 1

If it's dead, does that mean I can shut things down for the year? Would make things easier with this new puppy I have here to take care of :P

Don't you dare! I was hoping you guys didn't take my post personally! I have been coming here for years and look forward to this site as much as the shopping!

Best Buy has a strong ad, but Walmart surely decided not to play this year. Since these ads were created under an economic climate which was pretty uncertain, it is understandable that some companies held back their best. Look how many stores may not see the light of day next year like Sears/Kmart. Perhaps with a new year and a new administration will bring about a change which will be more conducive to deals like we are used to.

Another thing to remember is that of the major participants this season, just how many of them still have their traditional competition? many of our old favorites have long since departed into the fondest of memories...the ghosts of Black Fridays past.

What this season needs is a strong market rebound and regional stores to expand to fill the gaps so that other stores need to try harder to impress you.

We are fortunate to still have a viable forum that will be around for years to come. I agree that participation is down, even with the live shows. I am optimistic that all of this will change but we have to see new companies to realize this.

If you really want to see a dead forum, go to the other major competitor (hint: watermarks) that only appears to serve as a major ad release hub and that is all they seem to be able to attract..the drive-byes that read the ads then leave.

I will again say that Walmart crushed a lot of hopes. They eliminated the events, cut back on their ad in general, put out sub-par TVs as their showcase items and kept the worst part...the Thursday opening.

So what to make of all this? I will bet that Walmart moves back to Friday next year with one sale, bad or good. Best Buy will follow with one sale after having been duped. And then something great will happen in 2017, the return to traditional values and Black Friday on Black Friday.

All very true and well said. I fear change is what it boils down to

but she's not good at anything Black Friday-related yet. Hopefully she'll be trained by next year.

She is adorable!! I may have you beat a little. I was on here yesterday while multi-tasking holding my 8 week old grandbaby :)  She isn't too into BF yet, but I'm working on her :)

• Like 1

I do think the ads are lackluster the past few years but nonetheless there's always something in the big ones I want/need. And honestly, I'll shop anytime, anywhere, any way. As I said on another thread, I appreciate having doorbusters online. Hospitals don't close for the holidays so shopping online is my lifeline to the deals if I'm working the holiday weekend.
  • Like 1

On the positive side, the television deals are fantastic!!!

I think we need to nominate Brad's puppy to be our Official Black Friday mascot! Any seconds?

And the deal fairy dropped yet another stunning deal in our laps. Sam's Club is having a Samsung Saturday sale. A 70 inch 4k with HDR television for $1248! They will even give you a $150 giftcard to sweeten the deal!

• Like 6

I don't think that it is dead. I think that it is evolving and we are trying to hold onto the good ole days. To me it is the tradition, its saving money and getting that one gift that each person will love. Seeing my kids light up and my bank account not tore up. Its getting into the holiday spirit. Not forgetting the hunt... the hunt will drive you crazy - looking for an item, when you don't find it walking around hoping someone has laid it down. It is the anticipation of the ads - it is so much. The younger people love it like we once did because they're outlook has not broaden, they do not know what it use to be like. So no it has not died it has just changed for us. Now the question is will that change  - change you ? 

• Like 4

I have to say 20 years I would never dream of not going out for BF . However the past few years most places to do the same deals online or in store. The older I get the less I want to go out in freezing temps to wait inline and deal with the crowds especially if I may not get that item. Having gifts delivered to my door and free delivery are nice.
  • Like 3

Don't you dare shut down this site Brad. I would be lost on Black Friday without it.

Black Friday is not dead it's just merged with Thursday and most of us don't like that too much. I used to love the craziness of getting up at 2am to be in line for the 4am sales. To me, that was the peak of Black Friday. Now, the stores are trying hard to stretch out Black Friday for the entire week by putting their sales online early and moving opening times to Thursdays. I hope in the near future it does move back to early am hours on Fridays for the start times. I don't think people spend any more money by having it begin on Thursday. The only difference for me is that by 4am Friday, I've ran out of money and have to go back home. :( 

The puppy should definitely become the Gotta Deal mascot. He's adorable Brad!

• Like 3

Golden Retriever? Looks like ours did when we got her a year and a half ago :)

Little chew monster she is but we still love her.

Looking at the TV ads, it seems that all of ol' timers will be converted to online shopping because, well, we ARE getting old...lol- but it seems that Black Friday future maybe going to the car dealerships!  I think that its funny now that they all are having Black Friday sales!

Black Friday emotional support therapy dog? Or Black Friday deal sniffer detection K9 squad?

• Like 3

maybe the "old" black Friday is dead. when it was actually ON Friday and the ads/deals were better. now sales start in store on Thanksgiving and Sunday/Monday online which is technically Black Friday week then, isn't it? lol

I like that in a way so I can grab the deals I want and be done with it, but I do miss the tradition of doing all the shopping after turkey day.

it has definitely changed but I always manage to find a few good deals.

Oh my Brad! She is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on the new furbaby!

Its obviously a year of TV and computers. It is the items that draw people to the stores.  The problems seems as I was once a retailer that the stores put a little of everything on sale and then got stuck with Unsold inventory. They are advertising sure sellers with limited quanities to leave their warehouses instead of going on clearance

What do the check marks in the top right hand corner of each post mean, I was hoping it meant "like" so I pressed one, now I think it means something else. Sorry if I shouldn't have pressed that button, hope I didn't cause any problems.

On the app or the site?