Can someone explain how a 24 hour store does BF?

natansyd

My friend wants me to spend the night at Meijers with her this year because she heard the sales are awesome.

How do those stores typically do their sales? Do they wait until a specific time to put stuff out? Will they tell you where they will be? Or can you just walk around with it in your cart until the sale starts?

Thanks

I've seen it done every way. Many times the stores do close, just for Thanksgiving night. I've been to one where they did let you walk around with the stuff in your cart, but that was years ago, and I doubt they'd do that now. Some stores pass out tickets, but last year the 24-store I went to just didn't have the items where we could get them until 5.

my local 24hr walmart has the items wrapped on pallet in the main isles of the store. and at 5am when the sale starts the employees that guard the pallets rip them open when someone gives the ok over their walkie talkies. so you could actually be standing right next to the items you want and just grab them after they open them.

my local 24hr walmart has the items wrapped on pallet in the main isles of the store. and at 5am when the sale starts the employees that guard the pallets rip them open when someone gives the ok over their walkie talkies. so you could actually be standing right next to the items you want and just grab them after they open them.

Our walmart does the same thing, except last year the employees actually had maps and told us where the items we were looking for were located. (The items are usually wrapped in black so you cannot see what is inside.) In the past they have never been this helpful!

I've been to Meijers the past 3 years on Thanksgiving morning, the store I go to they let you go in and get whatever you want and put it in your cart then you can get in line and wait for 5am or whatever time it is til the sale prices go in effect.

We usually get there about an hour before the sale starts and don't have a problem getting everything we go for.

This usually doesn't apply to electronics and big ticket items, there is usually a long line back in the electronics section for those and they don't bring them out until the sale time.

Same in Louisville. They often put things in weird places. For example, last year... the Emerson LCD TV was in the grocery department while some of the DVD's and things were in the automotive department or jewelry... can't remember which.

I've been to Meijers the past 3 years on Thanksgiving morning, the store I go to they let you go in and get whatever you want and put it in your cart then you can get in line and wait for 5am or whatever time it is til the sale prices go in effect.

We usually get there about an hour before the sale starts and don't have a problem getting everything we go for.

This usually doesn't apply to electronics and big ticket items, there is usually a long line back in the electronics section for those and they don't bring them out until the sale time.

That's how ours work here in MI too. My sister got a big screen T.V. by going at 3 a.m. and putting it in her cart.

I agree with the others too that some times you can get a lot of things late if you go to a Meijer's far out. We went to a newer one in a less poppulated one very late in the day and they still had IPod although a lot of other ones were out. (I was driving back and forth to my mom's and had to pass it anyway.)

Edited by SweetCanela
Mistakenly put wal-mart instead of Meijer's

our Walmart was nasty about stuff last year. If you even got remotlely close to a pallet they were screaming at you. But you can walk around and they give you a map of where everything was so we got everything we needed then stationed people by the pallets to grab what is needed when they unravel it..and it can be an ugly site.

Wow, you all were lucky you got maps. At my Walmart, you just had to guess where everything was and you can imagine the mass chaos that ensued all over the store when the pallets were unwrapped lol! Our strategy is also to station people around the store, but noone knows who's gonna grab what, as it's all wrapped up and noone knows what's where! :0)

this is my first time doing a 24hr walmart. Well I go if there is something good. this year I am in Hawaii so don't have to worry about the cold.

My only question is: regularly we have different weekly ads (stuff is higher) so do you guys think is going to be the same with black friday? diffrente prices or flyer? I don't want to get to excited and then find the correct price lol

Same here, it's rather nice.

What I do is I go early, about 1 am or so, and get all my price matching items that I want, and get them ready in a cart. Then as the store starts getting more crowded, I go to my "must buy" item area, and camp it out until 5am.

I always shop Meijer on T-Giving Day as they have the best deals (imo) that day and also their Saturday Specials (along with their 3-day Deals). I've shopped Meijer first thing on BF and yes,you just put your stuff in the cart then head to checkout around 6 a.m. That usually takes FOREVER,at least here.

Years ago, Meijer used to give out BF packages that you got free---they had snacks and awesome coupons,free products and coffee.

You'd be surprised how civilised Meijer is on Thanksgiving Day,BF and BS. If you're used to waiting outside at Target in the cold,wet,whatever for hours and hours,Meijer's will be a welcome change! I usually head out there about 3 a.m. which is kinda late if you're going for electronics and if you don't have to take a cart,DON'T. The carts are really big (unless you get the small carts Meijer has) and it's hard to maneuver those big carts thru the toy aisles.

If you have the big carts,park them in an off aisle (like bedding). Also,Meijer will put their BF specials in odd places (like WM) so look all over or ask somebody. The electronics dept. at Meijer on BF weekend is insane and I just don't have the mental fortitude to deal with that at 3 o'clock in the morning!

We have found that you can find some items out on the shelves already and you can put those items in your cart. The electronics and big ticket items you usually have to stand in line to wait for. If they have movies for sale, those they wheel out from the back and sit out right at 5:00 (or whatever time the sale starts). It usually becomes a mad rush, some people are nice and help each other out. My sister and I usually go around 3:00am, but last year we went at 1:00am and people were already there getting items. So I'm not sure what time we will leave this year!

Love Meijers on Black Friday!!!! I get there at 1:00 a.m. in the morning and just cruise around the store with my cart. Some of the sale items are already out and they usually have them all out by 3:30a.m. Keep in mind some of the sale items they have lines for inside the store, most of them are clearly marked. After I get my sale items I go buy a snack and something to drink and sit on the floor and wait until 5:00 a.m. ....Check out time.

Meijers always has awesome sales!!!!

My Walmart just changed from a regular store to a 24 hour Super Center. This should be intereting. I'm hoping that most people won't understand that yet. There are no signs anywhere yet that say they are open 24 hours so maybe that will work to my advantage.

Meijer up here (we are in mich by corporate) likes to trial things here. For those of you that have Meijers with 'outdoor garden-centers' don't be suprised if your doorbusters are out there this year! they kept the doors locked until 5 am then you could go out there. But i find I didn't mind as much, Meijer always has plenty of their items! a little cold but I have never missed out. not even the 10$ dvd players. If you ask, you may be able to check out a little early too. the prices are in the system... just find the right cashier!

Walmart is supposedly doing the ticket system this year. My walmart is in a small town and we have never had issues with too many people right when doorbusters start. I lined up at midnight last night and was the only person in front of the pallet at 2am (they werent even wrapped in anything!)

Meijer up here (we are in mich by corporate) likes to trial things here. For those of you that have Meijers with 'outdoor garden-centers' don't be suprised if your doorbusters are out there this year! they kept the doors locked until 5 am then you could go out there. But i find I didn't mind as much, Meijer always has plenty of their items! a little cold but I have never missed out. not even the 10$ dvd players. If you ask, you may be able to check out a little early too. the prices are in the system... just find the right cashier!

Verrry interesting! I appreciate the head's up on that info.

I don't think I am in the mood to do outdoor shopping at that time of morning on BF-that's one of the reasons I shop a 24-hr. store. It's usually either raining or snowing here on BF and it's always pretty chilly. Besides,I am thinking of the logistics of all the shoppers trying to get in or out the sets of doors! :eek:

I actually like Meijer better on Thanksgiving and Black Saturday. The deals are still awesome but there are less people.

I actually camped out at a 24hr Walmart in Jersey last year. They closed the evening of Thanksgiving and re-opened at 5am. However, around 3/4am the employees came out and gave out tickets to the big ticket items. Which worked out good. If you did not have a pre- given ticket (looked like a carnival ticket) for the item when you reached the cash register they ABSOLUTELY did not allow you to buy it. Only people with the tickets could buy it. So, the "front linenners" were able to calmly walk into the store and know that thier items were "reserved" for them.

We have Meijer. And we usually end up going Thanksgiving morning and Friday. We usually go On wednesday too, if you get ther late enough on Wednesday you can scout the locations of items on sale. I rember one year where we went Tuesday to get our grocies, wednesday night to scout the store, and then on thursday morning our 3 year old said "Meijer again? oh Drat" And I will second that meijer is calmer and more organized and the visit there is so smooth compared to Target, Wal Mart, and Best Buy