Black Friday 2009 - What you can do NOW

bigjimslade

Ok....It is around 105*F here in Texas and only the hard core here is thinking about Black Friday. Believe it or not there are some stuff you can do now that will save you money and get you ready for BF 2009.

While summer is coming to a end and most of the stores are getting ready for Back To School (BTS) and fall sports like fishing, football and such sporting good stores will start to put their camping gear on sale since the summer camping season will come to a end and hunting seasons will start. I did notice in this past sunday's ads there were alot of tents on sale and sleeping bags. If you do get a tent remember to get one that does not require stakes to hold the thing up. Some other things you can get is heaters, stoves and sleeping bags. As hunting season comes along you will see sales on heaters and hand warmers.

I spent this weekend helping a friend buying stuff for BF 2009 and thought I would pass this along.

I sometimes buy gift cards over the summer when we have extra money and save them to use on BF. All year long if I return something to a store I get a store credit and save it for BF if it's a store that I always go to. That way I am spending less on BF because part of it is paid for by gift cards and store credits.

I sometimes buy gift cards over the summer when we have extra money and save them to use on BF. All year long if I return something to a store I get a store credit and save it for BF if it's a store that I always go to. That way I am spending less on BF because part of it is paid for by gift cards and store credits.

I do the same thing. I also have a seperate account that all my survery money, refunds, etc. go into. That is my Black Friday fund. I also save up points on sites that will allow me to cash them in for giftcards. I use all of those cards for BF shopping.

I like BF even more when I don't see a huge dent in my bank account the day after! :tongue1:

Ok....It is around 105*F here in Texas and only the hard core here is thinking about Black Friday. Believe it or not there are some stuff you can do now that will save you money and get you ready for BF 2009.

While summer is coming to a end and most of the stores are getting ready for Back To School (BTS) and fall sports like fishing, football and such sporting good stores will start to put their camping gear on sale since the summer camping season will come to a end and hunting seasons will start. I did notice in this past sunday's ads there were alot of tents on sale and sleeping bags. If you do get a tent remember to get one that does not require stakes to hold the thing up. Some other things you can get is heaters, stoves and sleeping bags. As hunting season comes along you will see sales on heaters and hand warmers.

I spent this weekend helping a friend buying stuff for BF 2009 and thought I would pass this along.

Hey Big Jim! I need to get a tent for my relay for life next summer. I was starting to look around because of the end of season. I have never bought a tent before....Tents don't need stakes? Can you tell me more??? :smart:

Hey Big Jim! I need to get a tent for my relay for life next summer. I was starting to look around because of the end of season. I have never bought a tent before....Tents don't need stakes? Can you tell me more??? :smart:

Well, all tents need stakes to be properly setup, but there are many that don't require them in order to keep their shape (generally dome tents). Basically, what you want is a tent that you setup first and then stake down, vs one that you have to stake down first and then setup the poles. Just make sure if it's windy outside and you have to leave for a bathroom break, that there's enough inside the tent to weight it down. Otherwise your tent may end up across the street (hopefully near the front of the line at another popular store).

The gift card thing is a really good idea. I sent my son to a catholic school and we have to use $1000 is scrip or our tution goes us $100 I could just buy the srip (they are generally gift cards) and use them black friday and I would have my 1000 in no time..lol..

WOO! Good idea, I will keep on the lookout. I have never slept in a tent on BF, or stayed awake not freezing in one. DO you pack it up like an hour before opening? I guess people save your place in line?

Either the person you are with can put it away, or after you've been in line next to people for like 12 hours at some point you end up talking to people in front and behind you and they will usually hold your place while you put it away. And usually people put their tents away a few hours before the store opens, you can follow the lead of the other tent-ers.

I save my change. I usually start saving it from the previous Christmas. I usually have a couple of hundred dollars by the time Black Friday rolls around. If I don't feel like wrapping them I take them to my local Coin Star and by gift cards with them. Or I wrap them and take them to the bank and get my cold hard cash!! LOL

• 2 weeks later...
I tuck money away everytime I have it. In my house usually under something that no one is going to pick up. When money seems to tight to shop for BF - I pull it out whew la there is always money to get a deal. I like the gift card idea too.

My husband had won 3 $25 Walmart giftcards so far this year from his work. I put them away for BF.

Also I redeem my points from MyPoints around September for a Walmart Gift card every year.

So I will have $100 in GCs to Walmart by the time BF comes around.

I save my change. I usually start saving it from the previous Christmas. I usually have a couple of hundred dollars by the time Black Friday rolls around. If I don't feel like wrapping them I take them to my local Coin Star and by gift cards with them. Or I wrap them and take them to the bank and get my cold hard cash!! LOL

I do the same thing!

Check with your bank or others in the area for free coin counters. Several banks in my area have them and you don't need to have an account there.

I love the gift card idea...I have done this for birthday items this year, when funds permitted...especially when it came to electronics. My daughter's ipod was much easier to purchase with gift cards purchased here and there during my grocery trips.

A couple of years ago, I started in September with a Wal-Mart gift card for $10, and added $10 or $20 on subsequent visits. By the time black friday rolled around, it was a helpful sum. I'd like to have started sooner this year, but will start in the next week or two on this strategy for this year.

• 5 weeks later...
I like the gift card idea. I'm going to start that this year. For BF next year I will start saving gift cards this December. Can't believe I never thought about that. Also, I'm going to start saving my change and putting some "extra" money away hidden. Lots of great ideas on here.

you could also ruin the santa charade for your 9 yr old and promise to take her shopping with you! Thus adding a fourth person! One who is young and spry, willing to climb under and over everything to get at stuff and sneak through people where an adult just can't go but is perfect for a petite little girl!!!! well, at least thats the plan. (as she stands here laughing)

The most important thing you can do now to get ready for Black Friday is to start shopping. Make a list of items you plan to buy. Research brands and features. Note 'regular' and 'sale' prices. Set aside some cash so that you do not need to finance unexpected deals with a credit card.

Last year, I had most of my shopping done before Black Friday. That's unusual, but a deal is a deal. My most unexpected deal was a 50" plasma tv with a 1200w home theater for $910 in September. I have not seen a better deal since. Other unexpected deals included $150 off Chase credit cards. Even though it was not tangible, an offer to transfer credit card balances to a new account with no interest for twelve months saved me a bundle.

Something you can do right now for Black Friday 2010 is to get a credit card with good cash back terms. I use a Discover card all year long to pay for everything that I can. This year, I have gotten $507.77 back. I take these as Staples gift cards so they give me $25 for every $20 I earn. That's $634.71 towards a couple netbooks for my kids. That's what I call a Christmas club!

You guys are soo much better than I am! I usually use DH's whole paycheck that week and figure out how to pay the bills after! ;)

I like the change idea though. I usually cash in my change a couple times a year but haven't done it lately. I'll just hold off and do it right before Thanksgiving! :)

Don't gift cards expire? I mean I know in California the law says they cant expire but are other states the same?

I've got 9 years of change building up. Not sure what to do with it as coinstar is sooooo not getting 8% of it. I probably have ummm $1000's?? in coins. No joke! Its 1 and half of those huge 5 gallon water jugs.

Edited by JohnnyLaRue

Don't gift cards expire? I mean I know in California the law says they cant expire but are other states the same?

I've got 9 years of change building up. Not sure what to do with it as coinstar is sooooo not getting 8% of it. I probably have ummm $1000's?? in coins. No joke! Its 1 and half of those huge 5 gallon water jugs.

Does your bank have a coin counter? I know Navy Fed has one and they put that money directly into your bank account.

Does your bank have a coin counter? I know Navy Fed has one and they put that money directly into your bank account.

Not that I am aware of. I only know if I want $2 bills I have to order $200 worth at a time at my bank. There is a Navy Fed somewhat near my place but I doubt they let anyone just waltz in and use their coin counting machine for free. Right?

Not that I am aware of. I only know if I want $2 bills I have to order $200 worth at a time at my bank. There is a Navy Fed somewhat near my place but I doubt they let anyone just waltz in and use their coin counting machine for free. Right?

I don't think they will let just anyone walk in and use it. I think you would have to have an account there. You could always ask your bank and see what they think is a good idea for you to do.

• 2 weeks later...