Working on Black Friday

tokanm

I work for the school system so I've always had BF off....who needs summer break when you have BF? My problem has always been the DH who has to watch the kids while I shop...he prefers it that way. He's in a job now that works M-TH and has Friday's off...thanks goodness. For once I won't have to ask him to take off that day to babysit. Yea me!

I work in an operating room in a pretty busy county-like hospital and we always run a skeleton crew on Thanksgiving and BF. I have signed up to work on Thanksgiving a few times just so I could make sure to have BF off lol.

Last year I was on call on BF and thankfully didn't get called in, and this year I am totally off, no skeleton crew or call for me...YAY! Come on BF!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I AM NOW OFF ON BF :P

I was scheduled to work but I agreed to work this Saturday all day in exchange for having BF off. Yes....I am very relieved not to mention a 4 day weekend :fluffy:

Very Good!

I work county government, so we have 13 holidays (and our union traded having Flag Day off for Black Friday)! We have 4 holidays in November - Election Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Black Friday. This is why I like November so much at work!

• 1 month later...

I got shafted this year because I was sick when the Holiday Schedule went out and had to take what was left. 4-12 Thanksgiving, 4-12 X-mas Eve and 8-4 on NYE. (yuk!!) I could have bumped some people because I do have seniority here, but I didn't want to walk back after a three-month absence, and start acting like a jackass because of the Holiday Schedule.

So I'll do 4-12 Thanksgiving, go sleep for about four hours and then get in line at TRU around 4:30.

• 2 weeks later...
Our company only gives 5 off days all year. So of course I will be working BF, Christmas Eve, and New Years Eve again this year. I always shop before coming to work on BF and take my hour lunch from 8-9 so I have til 9 to be here. Then its wrapping those just bought gifts the rest of the day!!!

DH just told me he has BF off as well as Turkey Day but I reminded him that last year he told me that too and he ended up having to work!

I'm thankful for those who do work on BF whether by choice or no, be it retail, medical or otherwise. I know the feeling because I've worked several myself :)

I don't have to work Black Friday this year but I did have to work last year. I got my deals online some as early as 2 am on Thanksgiving morning. They were delivered in plenty of time for Christmas. I also had my mother do some shopping for me.

This year I am seriously thinking of doing the sleeping thing or just going to crowd watch. Money is tight with my husband having lost his job this past year for the second consecutive year. There are more important things that we need and the kids need. If not I have a feeling I will be looking only for specific things. I may get something for the schools to give for the post-prom parties. (2 daughters- 2 differant schools and this year since 1 is a junior and 1 is a senior we get 2 post prom parties that we have to help out with.) Thinking about those cheap microwaves that seem to come out every year around Christmas. Just not sure though- will depend how money holds out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been with the same company for the last 7 years, and BF is a contractual holiday so I have always had it off. This year we have a large order that needs to be filled by the end of the year and they are saying we might be working BF. Since it is a holiday in the contract that means they will be paying everyone holiday pay plus double time that day. I don't care. I save more than enough to make up for that. I told my boss last week that it doesn't matter if the company is open and working on BF - I will NOT be there. I will take vacation if necessary. We can only have one person per department out on vacation at a time but I happen to know that I am the only one in my department who has vacation time left! Ha!

Seriously though, even if I wasn't going BF shopping I would still have to take the day off. My MIL always does Thanksgiving dinner Friday afternoon (so no one has to run around to multiple Thanksgiving dinners on the same day). That is one thing she does that I really appreciate. And she doesn't expect me to do a lot of prep for the meal - as long as I do her BF shopping. DEAL!

I have been with the same company for the last 7 years, and BF is a contractual holiday so I have always had it off. This year we have a large order that needs to be filled by the end of the year and they are saying we might be working BF. Since it is a holiday in the contract that means they will be paying everyone holiday pay plus double time that day. I don't care. I save more than enough to make up for that. I told my boss last week that it doesn't matter if the company is open and working on BF - I will NOT be there. I will take vacation if necessary. We can only have one person per department out on vacation at a time but I happen to know that I am the only one in my department who has vacation time left! Ha!

Seriously though, even if I wasn't going BF shopping I would still have to take the day off. My MIL always does Thanksgiving dinner Friday afternoon (so no one has to run around to multiple Thanksgiving dinners on the same day). That is one thing she does that I really appreciate. And she doesn't expect me to do a lot of prep for the meal - as long as I do her BF shopping. DEAL!

Do you work with me? We had the same type meeting this morning... with the same end result.. I will NOT be working... I have to do my part stimulate the economy :D

I'm a county employee so we get the same holidays as the state. Every year for the past 45 years the governer has signed an order making BF a state holiday. It hasn't been signed yet this year so I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have to work. And there's no way I can take it off as I know my boss will and only one of us in the dept can be gone at a time. I'll have to see if I can come in late so I can go shopping before.

I work Monday thru Friday midnights. So, I might miss some of the early door busters at some places, I'm still gonna go and hit some deals after work. That's the nice part about overnights, I might have to adjust my sleep schedule a bit, but I find that I'm able to do more things.