Whirlpool/Lowes- ARGH!

rachealb

Less than a year ago, we had to purchase a new water heater. Disliking Home Depot, we chose to buy ours at Lowes- which is all the way across town. We talked to the manager and the regular water heater department guy about the water heater we were getting, a 40 gallon Whirlpool FlameLock. They sold us on the safety and efficiency, blah blah blah. Well, here we are now on our 3RD day of no hot water, and getting the runaround BS from Whirlpool. This is a 6 year warranty water heater (which they keep reminding us like we should be proud of that or something) and we havent even made it one year. First, they tell us to call this other number and set up to have it fixed. So we do. This is on Monday. They come on Tuesday (btw- it is a sears co. that comes to do the service). Well, amazingly enough, they do not have the parts, they were supposed to have it shipped to us. So we call back. Part will be here today, Wednesday. I am assuming it will be overnighted- well, yes and no- now it is rescheduled for delivery tomorrow! So that will be the 4TH day of no hot water. I told them you have got to be kidding me!!!! So I ask if I can go get the part myself- yes, of course at Lowes and they will reimburse me up to $90.17. Great. I call to schedule the repair- guess what? They cant come until tomorrow anyway, even if I get the part today!!! ARGH!!!! I am so mad. beyond mad. Want to take the water heater out with a sledgehammer and drive it over to Lowes and drop it off mad.

Here's the best part- Lowes/Whirlpool had a lawsuit about this exact thing breaking- in fact, I believe the I saw a comment- "95% of these water heaters are junk". And they are still selling them!!!!!!!! This started back in 2006! WTH???? How are they still selling them broken like this????? I dont get it. How is this okay?????

As far as I am concerned at this point, Whirlpool should be paying whatever repair company they can find and come and fix it or replace it, today. Not tomorrow. 3 days of no hot water is beyond what is acceptable.

We had the same problem. It took us 5 days to get it fixed and I ended up having my brother install the new part, it was really easy. About 3 months later it happened again! Now some people may consider this part dishonest but about 3 weeks after we got the 2nd replacement part I called and told them it broke again and to send me another part. They did and about 2 months later it went out again and we replaced it that same day. I normally wouldn't condone lying but everyone we talked to said it would happen again so I figured I was just saving myself from a week of no hot water. After the 4th time I called and talked to a manager who gave me a code to take to Lowes to get my money back. Lowes was really nice about it and gave me a full refund even tho I lost the receipt somewhere between the 3rd and 4th replacements. I got my money back and am now saving up for a tankless water heater and whirlpool is still honoring the warranty on the one we have. I have another spare part waiting for when it goes out again. I've had this water heater for less than a year! I had to be pretty persistent to get the code for the refund but it was worth it.

alora7- did they give you a "cash" refund? My husband called the manager of our store and he said that they could maybe give us an "in-store credit", but they only carry Whirlpool there so that doesnt help us. I also emailed Lowes online and got a response that they needed a little more info (I forgot to include my local store info), so I am waiting to hear what they say too. We really just want to get a different brand water heater, because from the million complaints I have seen online you are right and we will just keep having problems. Of course, Whirlpool says this will fix it once and for all- yeah right!

Oh yeah, hubby talked to a "manager" at Whirlpool last night and told them we wanted our money back too and they told us no. =(

Okay, I went out to the store to get the replacement part since UPS said it was rescheduled and wouldnt be here on time. I talked to the store manager while I was there and we are getting a refund if we bring in the water heater this weekend!!! (Lowes did email me back and said they were forwarding my email to senior store management- not sure if that helped or not) And, the part was of course here on my doorstep from UPS when I got home, but I will already be at the store this weekend so I can return the one I bought then. =) I dont think my hubby is too happy to get to reinstall a new water heater this weekend, but I cant wait for a nice hot shower!

I'm glad that this isssue is finally getting resolved for you. It's nice to get your $$ back, too. We had some really bad weather this year and our power was out for 4 days. We had to throw out everything in the fridge and freezer both. We stayed a few nights with relatives while things were bad but I did miss that shower! I think I would of already went to a friends house and took a hot shower there. Glad you're getting your WH fixed soon =)

We just went to the hardware store and bought their brand over 15 years ago. THe only trouble we have is the theral coupler, but if it goes out any generic one will work for about ten bucks and my husband puts it on in 5 min. We get water in out basement , it's old and has a dirt floor, but when the water gets in it which is frequently, we pump it out dry the theral coupler and relight. My son just moved into a house and the heating element went out, which my husband says is one of the few parts on them. He paid about ten bucks for a new generic one and fixed it rught up. Most people don't realize all these systems basically can use the same parts from your local hardware store. They are interchangeable. Now I know one thing about the chains. They don't have their own repair or installation people. My daughter was dating the son of our nearest small appliance store and when they built the new Home Depot about 50 miles from here, they contacted the owner and asked if they could be the HOme Depot Trane carrier. They said no of course because even though it would mean all the Home Depot furnace business they wanted them to take a 25% cut in price. THey said they would just cut their price a little and get all their business anyway.

now I am worried we have a whirlpool from Lowes, its about a yr and half old now. Ugg, no problems with it quitting but I noticed our gas bill has gone up. Anyone notice that with the new installed unit. We are trying to figure out if its the heater or because the kids (both young teens 12 and 14) and both decide to shower everyday and now that is at least 4 showers a day.

So this morning they are supposed to come and fix the water heater until we have it replaced- the girl on the phone yesterday (sears repair center- that is who they contract with) told me because we had had so many problems we would be number 1 first of the day. She told me to call at 9 if they were not here. So, it is 9 and no repair man (timeframe is supposed to be 8-12). I do work at home, but my office is out back so I blew off work and was doing things in the house waiting. New guy on the phone tells me that was wrong, now they wont be here until this afternoon sometime! What is it with this water heater? Our new joke is that the model number starts with BFG- the big freaking gouge (I put it nicely for on here, I am definitely calling it the bad word name at home!). I cannot wait until this weekend when we get a new one!

Oh yeah- to Stowasser- I read online in a few places also that the dip tube on these water heaters makes them run inefficiently, so that could be part of your gas bill problem? Maybe that it isnt long enough so it never actually uses all of the hot water it makes in the tank so keeps heating up new water?

So this morning they are supposed to come and fix the water heater until we have it replaced- the girl on the phone yesterday (sears repair center- that is who they contract with) told me because we had had so many problems we would be number 1 first of the day. She told me to call at 9 if they were not here. So, it is 9 and no repair man (timeframe is supposed to be 8-12). I do work at home, but my office is out back so I blew off work and was doing things in the house waiting. New guy on the phone tells me that was wrong, now they wont be here until this afternoon sometime! What is it with this water heater? Our new joke is that the model number starts with BFG- the big freaking gouge (I put it nicely for on here, I am definitely calling it the bad word name at home!). I cannot wait until this weekend when we get a new one!

Oh yeah- to Stowasser- I read online in a few places also that the dip tube on these water heaters makes them run inefficiently, so that could be part of your gas bill problem? Maybe that it isnt long enough so it never actually uses all of the hot water it makes in the tank so keeps heating up new water?

Thats interesting, do you happen to have a link to where you read that? I think that too that it seems to run alot, the laundry room is right next to the LR and my desk so I hear it often

We had the same problem and my dad had to drive 2 hours each way to come fix ours. Finally the 4th time they sent us this other part to fix the thing. But there was a lawsuit on this and I got $30 back for the parts I had bought preivous. After my dad fixed it the last time with this part they said would fix it we have not had any problems knock on wood.

I just found the water heater post and after reading all the previous posts i am confused.. It seems we are talking about both gas and electric tanks. First, let me say i am a licensed installer here in pa. And i have installed over the last 35 years 2000 plus water heaters. All sizes shapes and configurations.

I have installed for lowes, sears, home depot and many other sources. I am also on call for service for several tank manufacturers. I do not profess to know everything but for information purposes i submit...

All water heaters that are powered by 220 electric have 2 elements. The only exception is a 110 powered unit that is usually a small tank. I have never encountered a 220 tank with only one element.

Gas bills will go up with a new water heater gas or electric. Possible reason, new heater puts out better controlled heated water and since it feels so good we take longer showers.

There has in the past been issues with the dip tube, however i have not encountered any problems in the past few years that were related to the dip tube.

On electric models the most common complaint of no hot water , if self installed, is customer error. They fail to read the book. It is mandatory that before the tank power is turned on the tank must be bled, filled, by opening the hot water valve in the tub furthest from the tank. This allows the air, dirt and debris in the line to blow out. If you open any other faucet you risk blocking the aerators. Once you have a clear regular stream of water, which will be cold, you can then turn it on.

You bleed the gas tank the same way so as to discharge any residue.

I have not had too many problems with any particular tank. Lowes are made by whirlpool, sears by state water heater and h/d is made by rheem.

Again i can not single out any one tank for having excessive issues.

I can not comment on the previous mentioned repairs as it is not stated as to what parts were failing. I do know that electric elements do fail. If lime builds up or sludge builds up and coats the element it will burn out. People with hard water will have this problem more so than a home with soft water.

Also know that any water heater at any one time only has 70% of the tanks capacity as hot water. The dip tube takes in the cold that is being drawn out. Goes to the bottom where the heat is first on. So a 50 gallon tank only has 35 gallons of hot water. If you are using a 3 gallon per minute shower head and 3/4 people take back to back showers, or you do the dishwasher, or a wash, you can run out of hot water. An 80 gallon tank which i call the motel size will give you 56 gallons. Now this is not a perfect formula because as you are using hot water you are also making hot water.

I hope this helps and i will watch for future posts..

Thank you

I just found the water heater post and after reading all the previous posts i am confused.. It seems we are talking about both gas and electric tanks. First, let me say i am a licensed installer here in pa. And i have installed over the last 35 years 2000 plus water heaters. All sizes shapes and configurations.

I have installed for lowes, sears, home depot and many other sources. I am also on call for service for several tank manufacturers. I do not profess to know everything but for information purposes i submit...

All water heaters that are powered by 220 electric have 2 elements. The only exception is a 110 powered unit that is usually a small tank. I have never encountered a 220 tank with only one element.

Gas bills will go up with a new water heater gas or electric. Possible reason, new heater puts out better controlled heated water and since it feels so good we take longer showers.

There has in the past been issues with the dip tube, however i have not encountered any problems in the past few years that were related to the dip tube.

On electric models the most common complaint of no hot water , if self installed, is customer error. They fail to read the book. It is mandatory that before the tank power is turned on the tank must be bled, filled, by opening the hot water valve in the tub furthest from the tank. This allows the air, dirt and debris in the line to blow out. If you open any other faucet you risk blocking the aerators. Once you have a clear regular stream of water, which will be cold, you can then turn it on.

You bleed the gas tank the same way so as to discharge any residue.

I have not had too many problems with any particular tank. Lowes are made by whirlpool, sears by state water heater and h/d is made by rheem.

Again i can not single out any one tank for having excessive issues.

I can not comment on the previous mentioned repairs as it is not stated as to what parts were failing. I do know that electric elements do fail. If lime builds up or sludge builds up and coats the element it will burn out. People with hard water will have this problem more so than a home with soft water.

Also know that any water heater at any one time only has 70% of the tanks capacity as hot water. The dip tube takes in the cold that is being drawn out. Goes to the bottom where the heat is first on. So a 50 gallon tank only has 35 gallons of hot water. If you are using a 3 gallon per minute shower head and 3/4 people take back to back showers, or you do the dishwasher, or a wash, you can run out of hot water. An 80 gallon tank which i call the motel size will give you 56 gallons. Now this is not a perfect formula because as you are using hot water you are also making hot water.

I hope this helps and i will watch for future posts..

Thank you

Thank you for the information given. I was worried about the increase in our gas bill over the last year but after kinda of doing some thinking, I think with the decrease in using our fireplace and two teens having showers everyday, that our increase in the gas bill is due to activity versus the heater itself. I have actually been paying attention to the tank and when people take showers etc and listening for when it shuts off and it seems in a reasonable amount of time (not running excessively). We also turned it down abit since it seemed abit high. I was finding that when I did dishes that I often scalded my hands because it got too hot and also with the decrease temp, the kids won't be taking 20 min showers LOL Luckily, we haven't had some of the problems others seem to have. We do have hard water so we do expect only about 10 yrs at max on water tanks here. The last one lasted about 10 yrs.

I replaced my gas water heater last summer. I went online when my 18 year old water heater was on its last leg and saw all of the horrific reviews for Lowe's, Sears, and Home Depot water heaters. They all had horrendous reviews! Needless to say, I bought mine directly from the supply house and had them refer me to a plumber. Not only did a get a great water heater, installed same day, but I saved about $400+ over the other quotes I had gotten. :)

I had to work really hard to get my money back. I just kept on them for probably an hour and had to counter every other offer they made me (which was pretty easy, just told we tried and it broke, over and over again). The rep finally said I could take it back to lowes to exchange it and gave me a code. After I got the code I asked if I had to exchange because I was not hauling that thing out of my basement, into the truck and then drive the 25 miles to Lowes. He finally said I could just take the code to lowes and they would take care of it. I just went up the CS and told them I had a refund code for a whirlpool water heater and they processed it right away and handed me cash. You really have to bug the phone rep to get one. I was very polite but I made sure he understood that every other "remedy" had been tried and did not work for long. I've had a few other friends try this and they were all able to get a code and get their money back. They told my hubby no a lot too before I finally got on the line :) It just takes some persistance.