Need a vaccum that actually works!!!

I have gone through at least 8 vaccums in the last 10 years. I don't have the money to spend hundreds on a Dyson. I bought a Bissel today and used it once, it broke and I have to take it back. I have owned Eureka, Bissel, Hoover, etc. I am so sick of these **** vaccums breaking. I am considering taking a bat to the Bissel as I type. WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the cheapest price for a refurbished Dyson??? Would it be worth it or just by new. (If I was a millionaire)

Thanks for any advice.

I used to buy a vacuum every year. I thought I had the worse luck until I chose a kenmore.I loved the Kenmore progressive line. Had 2. I ordered a Dyson last summer, hated it. Compared to what I was used to, it did not pick up as much. I really really really wanted to love it, but sent it back. I have a Hoover windtunnel right now which is awesome. Right there with the Kenmores I had.

ohhhh I so know what your talking about...I use my sweeper everyday and I am lucky to get 1 yr out of it...I have this one now for 2 yrs and it is about on it last leg...getting to noisy....I want and electrolux...I seen one at lowes so just maybe one day will get one...

My husband finally talked me into Kenmore, and it's a keeper. I have had up to 2 large, long-haired dogs in the last 10 or so years and was going through vacuums yearly, too. Currently, one constantly shedding newfoundland and the Kenmore has been picking up after it and 3 cats for 2-9 years now. Definitely was worth it.

I have owned a Filter Queen for 20 years. I know 1,000.00 is a lot but for never having to buy another one that's great. We bought it because I have allergy caused asthma and you can plug them in and they are a room filter. They have so many neat attachments. I have had to buy parts occasionally, but I picked up one at a garage sales for 5.00 and used it for parts, then when I needed a hose I bought it off ebay and they sent me a big box of all their attachments. I have a air nebulizer, a shampooer, some of them I don't know what they are. The seller said the vaccuum was blown away in hurricane katrina and this was all that was left. It picks up much more dirt than a regular vacuum. I can see it when I dump the canister. Like the salesman said you get what you pay for.

I had a kenmore canister years ago that was under warranty and they had to replace EVERY SINGLE PART of that sweeper at least once! including but not in the least limited to, the lid, the wheels, the wire, and the motor. When it went out of warranty and yes another part broke again, they looked up all the parts that were replaced and said, they would have been better off giving me a new sweeper because this one was a real lemon. However, at this point the warranty was up and they shoved me out the door. So never did I buy a Kenmore again. Went to a Hoover, that lasted about a year, had to replace the belts so many times I was totally rediculous. Then I managed to actually bend the beater bar. Don't know how, but must have been from frustration over another belt breaking. So finally went with the Dyson. And I can honestly say, I have had it 2 years now and have not had to do anything but wrap electrical tape around the wire because I am noted for running them over and slicing into them. haha. My only complaint on my Dyson Roller Ball is it is HEAVY. But when I am done cleaning, I know my house is clean. It really does the job well.

I am so there with you OP! I have bad luck with vacuums too! I have bought 3 in the last 2 years and am getting ready to get another one. I really want a dyson but the $400 price tag makes me nauseous.

a friend of mine recommended to me the Hoover Mach5. I am going to look at it and decide. I just wish i could test drive them, ya know?? ;)

We are about in the market for a vacuum too- we have a hoover windtunnel lite and the hose part is smooshed, so stuff gets caught in it all the time. Once you unclog it though it works good still. Trying to find a replacement hose online, but I am having a hard time finding one specifically for this discontinued model. I guess I will have to go through my "filing system" and find the manual to get the right part number. Ugh.

I am not one to spend a lot of money on things unless it is undoubtably worth it. That being said ... we have owned a Kirby for 15 years and not once have ever had a problem with it. It does the greatest job and we even use the carpet shampoo system with it ... still going strong. My husband is a bit of a clean freak and vacuums several times a week ... yes my hubby vacuums!! Only downside is the weight, but that is still only an issue if it has to go up and down stairs often for someone that can't lift much weight.

My mom has the Mach 5 and that thing is super. It will pick up the dirt under the house if you leave it in one place to long! LOL

I am getting a new house this week and plan on finding one of the mach5 for me as I know they work really well and she has had it over 1 1/2 years and never had a problem. She only gave $125 at walmart I'll have to get me one.

I know this probably doesn't help OP, but on the off-chance anyone out there is building a house (I know -- in this market!!) -- I heartily recommend spending the ~$800-$1,000 for a central vac system. We are in the 10th year in our house and the system is still going strong, though I had to replace the hose last year. Emptying it out only once every six months is truly wonderful.

I *hated* crappy vacuums and have been very happy with this system...I know I would've spent way more than $1K on replacement vacuums over the past 10 years!

just FWIW.

I agree on spendint 1,000 throughout the years, which is why we made the decision 20 years ago to buy our Filter queen . The advantage over a Central Unit, is we can take it outside and vacuum the car, the horse trailer, the camper. We only empty abaout once a month, but it has been our best purchase decision.

I really have had a good experience with the bissel cleanview bagless. My mom has always been notoriously hard on vacuums, so my father did lots of research (nerd!) and found this one recommended by consumer reports. I inherited it, actually when they moved and i really like it. I like the fact that its very easy to keep clean, and there isnt anywhere for clogs to hide where you cant get them. I can easily tell when ive clogged it, and i just remove the hose and can see straight into the empty chamber. I know they sell them in target and they arent very expensive-about 75 dollars, plus they sell all the belts, extra filters and etc. Arm and hammer makes some good filters for this that remove any pet hair smell and help with allergies.

I have a Kenmore Canister which I like but I LOVE my Eureka "The Boss" traditional upright (with bag) The best part about this vac is that the parts (bags and belts) are available everywhere. I used a 20% off coupon at BBB last year when I got all new carpet. It truly...SUCKS! LOL (In a good way!)

I've had a Dyson for several years and I would NOT recommend it! The big claim that it doesn't looses suction is a bunch of BS. (And for all of you other Dyson owners, yes, I know what needs to be done on a regular basis...I've read the owners manual.)