Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2009

Brad

It was this....

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-quot-1080p-LCD-HDTV/dp/B001GKK14I

008-09-1433 32" Vizio 1080p Java Series 225.24 ($450).

I had been watching it and knew today would be mark downs. I was there when the store opened and checked it. The employee told me that she needed to talk to a manager before she could sell any and that I had to wait until the markdown team got over there before she would do it. I asked her when they planned to be in electronics then and she said, "I don't know what order we will go in today so I really can't tell you. You would just have to be here."

I had to get home so dh could leave for work so I asked her to please tell me what they were going to be marked down to or what we could work out since they were marking them down and I was there at that moment. She told me she couldn't tell me whether or not they were going to be marked down or when - and walked off.

I was mad that she was like that and the more I thought about it the more I realized that she totally lied to me. I got home and told my husband as he walked out the door for work. He decided to stop on his way. Sure enough, the mark down team (including her) were marking them down and grabbing them for themselves!!! He grabbed one, put it in his cart and made her put a sticker on it (the only ones they had marked were the ones THEY were taking in carts). He walked over to check out was in line behind to employees from the mark down team! When he got up there the cashier called the manager over and whispered something to him. My husband doesn't know what she said, but the manager replied, "Nope, he is good. This gentleman just got a great deal on an unexpected price drop. Well done, sir!"

I was really bugged that the markdown girl LIED to me and then it seemed the cashier had some bee in her bonnet....oh well....we got one! YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know there are a lot of different opinions about employees shopping while on duty, etc.... but I just think that no matter what Target's official policy is about it, a good manager would realize that it reflects poorly on the store when customers have to 'compete' with the store's employees to shop when it's obvious that the employees are on duty... (nametags on/red shirts on, etc.) I'm all for employees getting in on the good deals, but no matter if it's a really good clearance item or just general shopping, an employee should really be expected to do their shopping while on break... Just my opinion.

I agree they should shop on break, but beyond any of that....don't lie to me! Bottom line is that she didn't know until she scanned it for me that it was going to go that low today...and then she wanted to get the word out before I had the chance to buy. She LIED telling me she had to talk to a manager. I should have realized what was happening and just loaded them all up and headed to the front and dealt with a manager at checkout, but I had no information as far as what the price would be, etc. She kept it all very quiet and just gave her excuses.

I am just glad dh went back when he did because by the time I got the kids ready for school and out the door I would have missed out!

Whatever the policies are about shopping on the clock, etc...Be HONEST! That is what bugged me!

Ha, the same problem happened to me the last big tv markdown. I got;

Samsung 37" LCD 1080p Tv DCPI:008090342 = $320.04

Sylvania 42" LCD 1080p Tv DCPI:008091137= $324.04 (special edition)

They were sitting on a flat cart, and the markdown team was walking away from it. I asked a guy if they were for sale. The guy said that he thought they were and so I bought 'em. I went up to the front, and some girl comes running up to me and says "Are you buying those? Because if you are you can't leave them here to pick up. You have to leave with them RIGHT NOW or return them to the shelf." I told her that I had already purchased them and my husband would be there with the truck in 20 minutes. Her face was all red like she had been yelling at the guy who told me I could have them. Then I found out from the stocker that helped load them into the truck that the girl, who was a manager,was mad because they were "her tv's".

It makes me wonder how much clearance never makes it back to the floor...

How do you know she lied and wanted the TV for herself? It was first thing in the morning. She could have easily scanned it and lied and said the more expensive price. It was 1st thing in the morning - a new shift. She would have had to known the TVs were on sale and if she knew I imagine the rest of the "team" knew already too so why lie? If it was some sort of scheme so she and her coworkers could keep all the TVs for themselves, they probably could have legally limited the quantity of TVs you purchased.

I do a lot of shopping in the early morning so I know - people aren't awake. You should have just said "can you scan this and tell me the price." Who cares about when the markdown team is going to get around to it - that's not your problem. Sounds like this girl was half awake and you were being a little timid. I dragged the guy over the E-Book readers so he could "double check" the markdown price for me.

Thanks so much for the heads up on the TV. I went tonight after work and picked up one for my boys for Christmas from their grandma. She gives me $$ to shop and I buy their gifts from her. I already told her that I would probably get them a TV - but she only gave me $300 this year (last year I got $400 for both of them) for them and I was freaking a bit because I really, really didn't want to camp out for BF to get a deal on a TV for them. This worked out PERFECTLY and I am sooooo happy!!

Thanks!

Nikki

I had an issue with 2 different employees (at the same store) "holding" items during the summer toy clearance. Both employees were in uniform, with their badges, scanning items to be marked 75% off. I went to the store first thing in the morning to see if I could get a Step 2 picnic table and a Little Tikes Swing. I saw one swing that was left and picked it up and continued to walk down the aisle looking for other stuff. An employee came up to me and said the swing was hers and that she already purchased it. I thought it was really odd (since she was in uniform), but I gave it back to her and just went on with my business (letting the incident go). Then I went to another aisle and saw the Step 2 picnic table in a shopping cart. Another employee (also in uniform) was scanning toys with her PDA and tossing them in the same shopping basket as the picnic table box. I asked her if I could by the picnic table and she told me it was damaged. I said "Really? Because it looks brand new." (still sealed, no damage to the box). So, I told her, "I'm interested in buying it." She then told me it was going to be salvaged. I told her I was surprised since it just went 75% off this morning. She said again that it was damaged and was going to be salvaged and then just ignored me. By this time, I was annoyed since there were two different incidents with two different employees. I went to Guest Services, asked for the GSTL, told him what had happened, and after going 'round and 'round, the GSTL brought the picnic table to me and said I could purchase it. He told me that employees are only allowed to purchase items on their break or when they are "off the clock".

I wrote a long, detailed complaint/message to Target indicating everything that happened, included the store location, the employee's first name, and the name of the GSTL I spoke with. This is the response I received back:

Dear XXXX,

I'm glad you've taken the time to write us about your experience. We’re sorry you didn't receive the type of service you've come to expect at Target.

The team members attitude you described isn't part of our guest service philosophy. We expect our team members to help you in a professional manner. Hearing your comments is very important to us, and I’ll make sure to share them with the Store Leadership team for further review. In order for me to correctly document the store, please reply with the store location or address.

While you're in the store, you can always visit the Guest Service Desk and ask to speak with the Guest Service Team Leader. They'll do their best to help you. In the meantime, we'll keep working to provide you with the service you deserve.

Thanks for helping us make Target even better.

Sincerely,

Glenn

Target Guest Relations

www.target.com

(800) 440-0680

-----------------------

I thought it was a rather "generic" response to my detailed complaint. Plus, it didn't even seem like they read my message because it tells me I can talk to a GSTL at Guest Services, which I clearly stated in my message that I did, because I provide the GSTL's name and the conversations I had with him AND it asks for the location of the store (which I also provided in my original complaint).

I responded back to Target stating I was disappointed in their response to my complaint and wrote how they didn't address my issue or even read my message. I even pointed out the reasons why I didn't think they read my message in detail.

It's been over 2 weeks now, and I never got another response from them after sending my 2nd message.

I'm quite disappointed, since I am a very frequent Target shopper.

Thanks so much for the heads up on the TV. I went tonight after work and picked up one for my boys for Christmas from their grandma. She gives me $$ to shop and I buy their gifts from her. I already told her that I would probably get them a TV - but she only gave me $300 this year (last year I got $400 for both of them) for them and I was freaking a bit because I really, really didn't want to camp out for BF to get a deal on a TV for them. This worked out PERFECTLY and I am sooooo happy!!

Thanks!

Nikki

Which target did you go too?

I went to the ward parkway at 3:30 and just missed it then went to stateline and they were all gone.

Which target did you go too?

I went to the ward parkway at 3:30 and just missed it then went to stateline and they were all gone.

I live by the 153rd and K-7 store in S. Olathe and went there after work. They only had the one on the end cap in electronics.

I went to the one in Independence. When I called, she had one sitting behind the counter in electronics. I told her I wanted it, and she said that she would hold it for me. I didn't ask why it was sitting behind the counter. I wonder if one of the associates was holding it....

I

I wrote a long, detailed complaint/message to Target indicating everything that happened, included the store location, the employee's first name, and the name of the GSTL I spoke with. This is the response I received back:

-----------------------

I thought it was a rather "generic" response to my detailed complaint. Plus, it didn't even seem like they read my message because it tells me I can talk to a GSTL at Guest Services, which I clearly stated in my message that I did, because I provide the GSTL's name and the conversations I had with him AND it asks for the location of the store (which I also provided in my original complaint).

I responded back to Target stating I was disappointed in their response to my complaint and wrote how they didn't address my issue or even read my message. I even pointed out the reasons why I didn't think they read my message in detail.

It's been over 2 weeks now, and I never got another response from them after sending my 2nd message.

I'm quite disappointed, since I am a very frequent Target shopper.

When this happens to me, I write a very detailed letter and include print outs of emails, etc. to the CEO of the company. It is not an appropriate response on their part, and clearly you aren't going to get a response. I have had VERY good luck doing this. They usually pass it on to someone lower, but the issue IS addressed. Here is the Target name & address if you want it. THis is corporate, not personal:

Gregg W. Steinhafel

Chairman, President, and CEO

Target Corporation

1000 Nicollet Mall

Minneapolis, MN 55403

I live by the 153rd and K-7 store in S. Olathe and went there after work. They only had the one on the end cap in electronics.

I just went to Lee's Summit and to Belton and they both didn't have them. They said there had been gone for months. Oh well I guess I'm out of luck.

I'm in the south burbs of Chicago and ran to our local store immediately after seeing this post. They still had the Tv's marked at $499.99. I asked the clerk (who was very friendly) if he knew anything of the clearance. He hadn't heard of it and even went as far as to scan it to see if maybe it was in the system. DS and DD are both getting one of these for Christmas and I hope that I don't have to wait in those horrible black friday lines to get a steal. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Wish me luck!

I worked in Target a few years ago for a little while and we were not allowed to hold clearance or purchase any thing unless on lunch or break. If it was clearance we also had to pay for it. Other things you could ask CS to hold until you got off shift but at times some people screwed up and put back on the floor.

When this happens to me, I write a very detailed letter and include print outs of emails, etc. to the CEO of the company. It is not an appropriate response on their part, and clearly you aren't going to get a response. I have had VERY good luck doing this. They usually pass it on to someone lower, but the issue IS addressed. Here is the Target name & address if you want it. THis is corporate, not personal:

Gregg W. Steinhafel

Chairman, President, and CEO

Target Corporation

1000 Nicollet Mall

Minneapolis, MN 55403

Bummer. I wish I had kept a copy of the first message I wrote. I did it through Target.com (not my email), so I don't have a copy of the message. Now I know better for next time. I'm so annoyed by the whole thing and how they dismissed it. Anyhow, thanks for the tip about sending it to the CEO. I will definitely keep that in mind next time.

I have always been told that clearance items can not be placed on hold....for guests or employees.

Bummer. I wish I had kept a copy of the first message I wrote. I did it through Target.com (not my email), so I don't have a copy of the message. Now I know better for next time. I'm so annoyed by the whole thing and how they dismissed it. Anyhow, thanks for the tip about sending it to the CEO. I will definitely keep that in mind next time.

I have always been told that clearance items can not be placed on hold....for guests or employees.

That is what I have always been told, too. So sorry you had such a bad experience.

How do you know she lied and wanted the TV for herself? It was first thing in the morning. She could have easily scanned it and lied and said the more expensive price. It was 1st thing in the morning - a new shift. She would have had to known the TVs were on sale and if she knew I imagine the rest of the "team" knew already too so why lie? If it was some sort of scheme so she and her coworkers could keep all the TVs for themselves, they probably could have legally limited the quantity of TVs you purchased.

I do a lot of shopping in the early morning so I know - people aren't awake. You should have just said "can you scan this and tell me the price." Who cares about when the markdown team is going to get around to it - that's not your problem. Sounds like this girl was half awake and you were being a little timid. I dragged the guy over the E-Book readers so he could "double check" the markdown price for me.

She came over to electronic because I had asked them to check and see if it was marked down. The guy in electronics called her over (she was at CS). She walked over and asked what I was wondering about. I showed her, she scanned it, and then said, "I need to talk to a supervisor about this...it might go down, but I don't know. I have to talk to a manager and I can't do that until we come over here to do markdowns."

I even said, "I am here now and have to get home to my kids. What can I do? Who can I talk to?" She told me she needed to talk to the markdown manager and I needed to just wait until they came to electronics. I asked what time she thought they would get over there so I could get my kids and come back and she said she had no idea because they had more to do.

So, she knew the price when she scanned it FOR ME and WITH ME standing there....and then the BS started flowing.

Since you have a copy of the reply, I'd still go ahead and do it. They can look through their records based on the guy's reply to find your original.

Thanks so much for the coupon, but I guess you can only print two per computer, and I printed both of them in the beginning of summer.

As I purchased the game today, I mentioned to the cashier that I had some coupons that expire on 9/30 for $5.00 and I wish I could have used them. The cashier said that Target does accept expired coupons if they "beep" through. I had a coupon in my purse [ I know I should clean my purse out more often. :blush:]. Anyway, it beeped and I got $5.00 off. Yeah!

And then, I got .05 back for bringing my own reusable bag. Double Yeah!

Does anyone know if Target will price adjust for a coupon? Last week I purchased a Leapster game on sale and forgot to use my coupon. Thanks!

Thanks so much for the coupon, but I guess you can only print two per computer, and I printed both of them in the beginning of summer.

As I purchased the game today, I mentioned to the cashier that I had some coupons that expire on 9/30 for $5.00 and I wish I could have used them. The cashier said that Target does accept expired coupons if they "beep" through. I had a coupon in my purse [ I know I should clean my purse out more often. :blush:]. Anyway, it beeped and I got $5.00 off. Yeah!

And then, I got .05 back for bringing my own reusable bag. Double Yeah!

Does anyone know if Target will price adjust for a coupon? Last week I purchased a Leapster game on sale and forgot to use my coupon. Thanks!

Yes, they will. Just take it to customer service with the receipt. It may be helpful to bring the item, too...sometimes they return it and then resell it to you with the coupon.

Also, regarding the TV lady...she obviously knew it would be marked down. If she scanned it with the markdown gun the price would show on her "gun" and it once she scanned it, it would be that price whether there was a sticker on it or not.