You'll Never Believe What My KMART did!!!!

kyciaj

You will not believe what hapened to me at KMART this past Sunday. My husband and I arrived there early to purchase the 26" LCD TV for $299 that is currently on sale. Although we were the first people in the parking lot, we didn't get in line until 3 people got out of the same car because I told my husband they would probably only have about 5 TV's in stock. Once we got in line, one of the 3 in front of us stated that there were only 3 TV's and too bad...they were already hers. My husband looked away and laughed because he knew he could beat them to the electronics area once the doors opened. We all know for the exception of Best Buy passing out tickets, it's first come first serve, right? Well, when the KMART employee came to unlock the doors, my husband entered first because he came in thru the exit door, he was the first back in electronics to grab a TV but they were not lout on the floor which I thought was strange but no big deal because I was the first person in line at the electronics register ready to purchase the TV once the employee came over to wait on us. He finally approaches the register area and takes out a slip of paper near the register with a UPC code written on it for the TV and hands it to the 3 people who were about the 4th or 5th people in line at the register. And tells them, "You're getting all 3 of them right?". They said yes and proceeded back to layaway to put them in layaway. All of us were stunned and of course asked what he was doing. He said they called yesterday (Saturday) and asked him to hold the TV's for them and that's exactly what he did. I was outraged and had to let him know what he did was unacceptable and totally wrong! He then tried to say, well they were the first ones in line outside and I replied with, that doesn't matter. I was the first one at the register. He quickly realized that he had screwed up big time and started calling for help in electronics. Have you ever heard of a store that "holds" sale items the day before a sale? Plus, this was a pre black Friday sale item. He kept apologizing and was so scared. My husband wants to call the corporate office on him and complain. The manager of the store was not there at the time this happened. Now get this. No matter how much we complained we knew the TV's were gone and we couldn't do anything about it. He put our name on a list and said he would call us as soon as he got some more in. My husband and I left the store and it wasn't even 10 minutes my cell phone rang and it was him saying he "found" another TV and for us to come get it. Right!!! You mean to tell me, you overlooked a TV? I returned to the store, purchased the TV and left. I advised him to not pull a stunt like that on Black Friday because he could get hurt! (smile) This guy I am speaking about was also the Electronics Lead, so he should have known better. My husband thinks he "hooked" up his family members because no employee in their right mind would "hold" a sale item such as a TV.

Am I right or did I just get worked up over nothing? We were so pissed on Sunday. I'm a Black Friday junkie & this idiot was trying to pull a fast one over us!

Absolutely NO WAY would they 'hold" items for the next days sale. As a matter

of fact I went to my KM on Sat night to pick up the TV at full price and get an

adj. Sun morning. (they had 6) The guy in the dept. wouldnt sell me one! Said it

wouldnt be fair to the six ppl in line the next morning yada yada.

So I went to one more Kmart and asked the teenage associate for one and he brought

it out. Got my adj. on Sunday.

Im thinking that "found at the last minute" Tv was for him or another 'hook-up"

He knew he was in possible deep doo-doo and it magically appeared!

Our kmart last year, at closing time on Wednesday, took names to hold the items for Bf morning. This is kmarts safety plan. If people are willing to stand in line all night, they will take their names the night before after closing time, and hold the item.

We learned this lesson the hard way last year with the Wii.

What do you mean by "Kmarts safety plan"?? Is this something all the stores do?

I agree with hubby. I think he hooked his fam or friends up. I'm guessing he "found" another tv because he was holding a couple more tickets in his pocket for more buddies. That is outrageous! I don't think you over reacted at all. I would have been pissed too. But I am glad you got your tv. He was probably scared that you would call corporate and he would get in trouble. Which I would seriously consider doing anyway!

I've called stores and asked to have sale items held for me (it takes me 45 minutes to drive to the nearest store, and when gas was $3 a gallon, I simply couldn't afford to get there and the item be gone.) but never on a big ticket item that would have people lining up outside.

Absolutely Angel-Too. My guess is that he had at least 6 TV's too and were keeping him for himself or family. He kept telling all of us that he had ordered more and to keep checking back throughout the week. I was like, "He%$ No! I'm not gonna keep driving up here everyday checking on a TV." The same TV is also listed in their bf friday ad too. :) Doesn't matter cuz KM is not one of the stores I plan to be at first on bf anyway so that's why we came to purchase on Sunday.

I believe it--people don't have any morals any more. He'd rather chance losing his job, than do the right thing.

Funny thing was, before I was even 1/2 way through your story I thought IT IS HIS FAMILY MEMBERS!

How dumb--and if they were immediate family, they are dumb too for setting a bad example.

I would so call the corporate office. :mad:

What do you mean by "Kmarts safety plan"?? Is this something all the stores do?

I agree with hubby. I think he hooked his fam or friends up. I'm guessing he "found" another tv because he was holding a couple more tickets in his pocket for more buddies. That is outrageous! I don't think you over reacted at all. I would have been pissed too. But I am glad you got your tv. He was probably scared that you would call corporate and he would get in trouble. Which I would seriously consider doing anyway!

Our local small town kmart doesn't want the responsibility of people camping out all night. My uncle works for a local walmart and he gets paid every year to sit in a vehicle all night to make sure everything is ok with people waiting inline.

Even though customers choose to stay outside, retailers are resp if something happens on their property.

Last year, my hubby went thanksgiving day. At our Kmart they hand out raffle tickets and draw. It is not who was first but who is lucky. Hubby didn't get the WII. He was so mad he has yet to go back to kmart to buy anything.

I wonder what KM corporate would think about that? Doesn't seem quite fair. I bet they don't know. I think I would report it.

Sounds like something that I we would be fired for at the retailer I work at. That policy is covered every year at this time to make sure everyone knows the policy. This guy had some guts thats for sure. People have killed for less.

You will not believe what hapened to me at KMART this past Sunday. My husband and I arrived there early to purchase the 26" LCD TV for $299 that is currently on sale. Although we were the first people in the parking lot, we didn't get in line until 3 people got out of the same car because I told my husband they would probably only have about 5 TV's in stock. Once we got in line, one of the 3 in front of us stated that there were only 3 TV's and too bad...they were already hers. My husband looked away and laughed because he knew he could beat them to the electronics area once the doors opened. We all know for the exception of Best Buy passing out tickets, it's first come first serve, right? Well, when the KMART employee came to unlock the doors, my husband entered first because he came in thru the exit door, he was the first back in electronics to grab a TV but they were not lout on the floor which I thought was strange but no big deal because I was the first person in line at the electronics register ready to purchase the TV once the employee came over to wait on us. He finally approaches the register area and takes out a slip of paper near the register with a UPC code written on it for the TV and hands it to the 3 people who were about the 4th or 5th people in line at the register. And tells them, "You're getting all 3 of them right?". They said yes and proceeded back to layaway to put them in layaway. All of us were stunned and of course asked what he was doing. He said they called yesterday (Saturday) and asked him to hold the TV's for them and that's exactly what he did. I was outraged and had to let him know what he did was unacceptable and totally wrong! He then tried to say, well they were the first ones in line outside and I replied with, that doesn't matter. I was the first one at the register. He quickly realized that he had screwed up big time and started calling for help in electronics. Have you ever heard of a store that "holds" sale items the day before a sale? Plus, this was a pre black Friday sale item. He kept apologizing and was so scared. My husband wants to call the corporate office on him and complain. The manager of the store was not there at the time this happened. Now get this. No matter how much we complained we knew the TV's were gone and we couldn't do anything about it. He put our name on a list and said he would call us as soon as he got some more in. My husband and I left the store and it wasn't even 10 minutes my cell phone rang and it was him saying he "found" another TV and for us to come get it. Right!!! You mean to tell me, you overlooked a TV? I returned to the store, purchased the TV and left. I advised him to not pull a stunt like that on Black Friday because he could get hurt! (smile) This guy I am speaking about was also the Electronics Lead, so he should have known better. My husband thinks he "hooked" up his family members because no employee in their right mind would "hold" a sale item such as a TV.

Am I right or did I just get worked up over nothing? We were so pissed on Sunday. I'm a Black Friday junkie & this idiot was trying to pull a fast one over us!

Oh I wouldn't have left the store!!!!! I would have told them to give me their managers home number. It would have been on!!!!! Plus.....isn't there usually a limit on those "hot ticket" items!!!???? Man, I would have spit nails! That gets my blood boiling and I wasn't even there. :)

So glad you got your tv.

I would seriously STILL call the store manager AND cooperate

As Being a person who recently quit working at The Big K, He was totally wrong. I would have been pissed as well. Usually the weeks sale flyers come in on Weds, associates have access to get the flyer before they are out. So he probably told some of his family ad friends about it. He was not to hold anything. They can't do that. Management will tell you that and he would have gotten in trouble. There is no way if the sale started sunday they knew about it saturday to call, and to specify a specific amount. They knew someone on the inside. I think you should still contact corporate and advise them as to what happened. make sure you get all the info off the receipt when and if you do contact them. you may want to also mention that there was no store manager available at that time as well. Upon opening and closing the store there is always supossed to be a manager on. and as a lead, he was probably scared he would loose his job. In the store that I worked at, people like that were fired (especially in Electronics)because they were always hooking up there friends.

...There is no way if the sale started sunday they knew about it saturday to call, and to specify a specific amount. They knew someone on the inside.

Just posting to say that while the folks buying the tvs may have been friends/family. They could easily have gotten the info on the sale beforehand...sites like the one you are using right now would be an example. Plus, our paper gets delivered with the Sunday ads included with our Saturday morning paper. I'd know by 7am Saturday that I could get the tv at KM and for what price.

Just posting to say that while the folks buying the tvs may have been friends/family. They could easily have gotten the info on the sale beforehand...sites like the one you are using right now would be an example. Plus, our paper gets delivered with the Sunday ads included with our Saturday morning paper. I'd know by 7am Saturday that I could get the tv at KM and for what price.

Our saturday paper does not have any ads in my area for Sunday. you find out Sunday what is on sale for that day! I wish we would get the info. in advance but no such luck.

You are right. The ad actually came out in our Friday paper so that's how I knew about it. The problem is you just cant call up a store and tell them to hold a hot item like that especially when there are limited quantities.

You are right. The ad actually came out in our Friday paper so that's how I knew about it. The problem is you just cant call up a store and tell them to hold a hot item like that especially when there are limited quantities.

Surprisingly - yes you can. There's often a limit as to how long they'll hold something (24-48 hours) and how many based on amount of stock, but it's not a crime to call and ask for a sale item to be held.

Surprisingly - yes you can. There's often a limit as to how long they'll hold something (24-48 hours) and how many based on amount of stock, but it's not a crime to call and ask for a sale item to be held.

If there is only 3 of the particular item in stock, which he already knew that, then you can't hold these items for 24-48 hrs. Even the other workers that came to electronics to see what the fuss was all about were in shock too! I know it's not a crime to ask. I'm not blaming the 3 people. I blame him. NO store will hold an item when they only have 3 in stock. No way.

If there is only 3 of the particular item in stock, which he already knew that, then you can't hold these items for 24-48 hrs. Even the other workers that came to electronics to see what the fuss was all about were in shock too! I know it's not a crime to ask. I'm not blaming the 3 people. I blame him. NO store will hold an item when they only have 3 in stock. No way.

Unless the ad specifically states that its first come first serve, then there's nothing stopping them from putting a hold on an item.

When we got our Wii at WM a couple months ago. It had been in a mailbox flyer that it would be on sale that coming Sunday. Well we were standing in 2 different areas to try and get to electronics first( I had asked and then only had 8 coming in)

Well someone who wasnt one of us 8 had called to have one held and a HUGE stink was raised. They suddenly found one more,but that one I dont think was an inside job.

But it was held there.

To me the whole concept of holding something for 24-48 hours seems kinda dumb. Otherwise why even give dates for the sale. Cause "technically" if all of that particular item is already on hold, then there aren't any in the store to be sold the day of the sale. I would almost think that would fall under false advertising.

To me the whole concept of holding something for 24-48 hours seems kinda dumb. Otherwise why even give dates for the sale. Cause "technically" if all of that particular item is already on hold, then there aren't any in the store to be sold the day of the sale. I would almost think that would fall under false advertising.

Please don't misinterprit what I said. Not all stores will hold an item for 24-48 hours, right before a sale, or even at all. I've heard of people being told no from stores when they call to request something be held and it be a limited stock or sale item. Likewise I doubt there's a store in the country that would stick a doorbuster back with your name on it on Black Friday. But for other minor sales throughout the year? Some stores will hold the item (and theyll put a time limit.. that depends on the store and sale, though I've been told as long as 24-48 hours in the past) for somebody if they simply call and ask. The OP makes it sound like the kid was trying to be shady or commit some kind of atrocity to mankind, when really he was probably doing what they do any other time somebody calls and asks for an item to be held.