Decorating first apt.- have no Christmas stuff

mywarmbluefleece

I am not one that goes over the top on decorating but I do need some decorations for my apartment. This is the first year I have my own apartment, and I have nothing for it because I ended up moving out sooner than I planned to.

I do need to get some decorations before Christmas. I know its going to be expensive, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions and knew which stores have the best Christmas deals? I need a tree, too. I am thinking a 4' would be great.

If you have a Dollar Tree in your area, definitely go there and search. I got a ton of decorations from there last year and I loved them all. Most of the Christmas decor is really cute. Tons of ornaments and little decorations and all one dollar, I love it! Good luck decorating your first apartment.

if you have michaels or a c moore craft stores they usually have a coupon for half off of 1 item.at michaels you can get a long vine like thing of christmas tree for something like 9 dollars and with the coupon it would be pretty cheap every week get a ribbon to put on it

also try looking on craigslist in the free section

i just went to an estate sale around here i got a really cute little glass nativity scene there are 5 or 6 glass figures probably 6 inches high the tallest one being 6 inches if you want them i could send them this week for a housewarming gift i just moved too and know how hard it is to collect thses things for the holidays

Edited by dealluvr
add

You're in Florida right? They are probably still having yard sales there. I find so many things

at yard sales..so cheap. I have found trees, lights, decorations etc for a few dollars.

You can get a really good deal when people are downsizing, moving or changing their

themes. I went to one yard sale where there was literally thousands of items all

snowman themed..most things were around a dollar.

Dollar Tree is good too..but I find I get even better bargains at yard/garage sales

If you want a cheap tree... try Big Lots. I have been for years trying to convince my husband to let me get a Christmas tree, but we never have anywhere to store it. A friend of mine got a cheap prelit tree from big Lots two years ago for 20 bucks. It's not great - it isn't very full, but it looks like a tree.

Otherwise, go simple - find a wreath, hang it on your door. Maybe some Christmas lights in your window (mine faces out.) I'm going to find a tiny 2 foot tree and put it up on a table and then put presents on the floor below it.

I can't wait until we can buy a house - I will officially be able to go all out.

If you're in Florida.. Where abouts? Anywhere close to Jacksonville? I have some stuff I could help you with. I know there's Everythings a Dollar around here where nothing is over a dollar and they have A LOT of cute stuff, the Dollar Store, Craig's List, Ebay, Garage Sales, The Newspaper, Flea Markets. Hope this helps!

Awesome Tokanm, I have the flyer right here, but I didn't look at it because usually I want to buy everything there and I'm trying to be careful with my money. I am going to get my Christmas tree this week :) I pass Michaels on my way home so that makes it a super good deal.

Chrissy, that is such a nice offer, but I am near the Everglades so it wouldn't work out. I cannot believe how many flea markets there are, and I am going to try to stop by and look at Christmas stuff because I didn't know they'd carry Christmas stuff.

Also, I am going to try to check the Dollar Tree. I haven't been there for a while. I am excited!

If you have a Dollar Tree in your area, definitely go there and search. I got a ton of decorations from there last year and I loved them all. Most of the Christmas decor is really cute. Tons of ornaments and little decorations and all one dollar, I love it! Good luck decorating your first apartment.

Ditto, they have tons of decor. And you wouldn't have to spend alot, so you wouldnt feel bad about using them then buying new later.

Also I see everyone saying that you're in Florida, not sure where but if you are anywhere near a Garden Ridge they have excellent prices!!!

Thanks for all the ideas! I went to thw Dollar tree and got some very cute snowflake ornaments, Michaels to look at the trees, and Walgreens. I found a lot at Walgreens too, but I only got the stuff on sale.

I also got my first big Christmas decoration! Its the porcelin gingerbread house at Hallmark that plays the walz from The Nutcracker. The lights move in beat to the song. I figure that is something I can use years from now.

My hubby and I went through this when we moved in together 8 years ago! We got a 4 ft. pre-lit tree at walmart, all of the tree ornaments at Dollar Tree, and some little odds and ends at Big Lots. All in all it was probably around $200 for everything. Some of that stuff still goes out every year, even though we're a long way from that young couple in the one-bedroom apt. :)

oh my goodness - you will have so much fun the weeks following Christmas!

buy the basics now for this year and then go wild when everything goes 50-75-90 % off.

you will have a blast! Don't forget to buy plastic storage tubs to put everything in when the holidays are over!

oh my goodness - you will have so much fun the weeks following Christmas!

buy the basics now for this year and then go wild when everything goes 50-75-90 % off.

you will have a blast! Don't forget to buy plastic storage tubs to put everything in when the holidays are over!

That is true! My niece did nearly the same thing--almost. She was graduating college in May 2001, getting Married in June 2001, and she worked at 2 stores part time.

She went to the 2000 after Christmas sales and got great stuff. She and hubby were very prepared for their first Christmas as a married couple. She got a beautiful pre-lit tree for 10.50 and alot of garland, beaded, pine, tinsely type too..:yup: She had a blast.

Being able to decorate inside and outside for 100.00 total

Edited by allshoppedout

Have a Christmas party where all the guests bring a Christmas Decoration they don't use anymore. Show old Christmas movies, serve inexpensive foods and have fun. Otherwise, I would try to spend the majority of your money this year on getting a great tree and decorations for it. Then next year get all the little things. All those little things add up to alot.

I love my Marcs. Its right down the street from me... Wish they took debit cards though. Hate writing checks (am I too spoiled? lol)

For the poster... I would get the bare minimum this year then head to walmart/target day after christmas and stock up on the 50% off decorations for next year. This way you can really have great decorations, etc for the bare minimum prices.