Traveling for the Holidays? How does this affect your BF shopping?

mcwalker

Traveling for Thanksgiving holiday? How does this affect your BF shopping?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Traveling for Thanksgiving holiday? How does this affect your BF shopping?

• Not traveling. Just driving to and from home to BF shopping.
    • Not traveling, driving from home and camping out at the first store.
    • Traveling by car, shopping limited by trunk and car capacity.
    • Traveling by airplane, limited by checked and carry-on baggage.
    • Traveling by train, extra baggage to carry.
    • Traveling by bus, extra baggage to carry.
    • Can't shop this BF due to travel.

Thanksgiving week is one of the peak travel periods of the year, so many of you will be travelling for the holidays. (The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is the busiest travel day of the year in the US.)

If you are traveling, what transportation mode will you take and how does this affect your BF shopping?

For example, two years ago I drove from NY to Chicago with four family members in a rented compact car. With our luggage, I barely got the things I bought on BF into the trunk, and I had to be carefull not to let other family members see some of the gifts I hid there. This year I will be flying to Texas for a week, so I have to consider carry-on and checked baggage allowances. Plus, American Airlines, like some others, is now charging for baggage, $15 for the first bag and $25 for the second (per person), so I have to take luggage size and fees into consideration. (I will be carrying at least one piece of empty luggage for the trip home and taking my personal bag as a carry-on at no charge in both directions.

If you will be traveling, how do travel plans affect your shopping? :gdcar:

Edited by mcwalker

Last year we went 400 miles to grandmas for Thanksgiving. There wasn't a trustworthy alarmclock for us to use, so I didn't get any sleep at all. I was out the door at some time in the wee morning hours - they all thought I was out of my mind - and that minivan was packed for the ride home! They live in a bigger city than we do, with more shopping options. Its a good thing that they didn't have their gifts to use ready yet, or we would have had to leave one of the kids behind.

This year we will be home. I have been on the lookout for gifts all year long this year, so I don't have much to get. I am sure there will be something, but I should be home in time to take the kids to a holiday parade.

usually travel to In laws - different/more stores and babysitters are already sleeping in the house where the kids are... means DH and I can go together. We can fill the car and leave stuff at their house, if we have to, when we leave. WE spend Xmas with them,... so it can mean less schlepping stuff.

Where's the "Visiting family and taking an RV and a station wagon with plenty of space for BF" option?

Nice!!!:)

We have a 6 hour drive (unless there's bad traffic/accidents to get around) so the boys can deal with being a little cramped. They either watch DVD's, play Nintendo DS or listen to music anyway. My oldest can/will also read in the car (I can't...makes me queasy) Not to mention that since we're staying home for Christmas, I'll be leaving all their gifts up there so anything I'm bringing home with me is for my kids or DH.

One of our BF traditions (though it's not an annual event by any means) is to blast off to Jefferson New Hampshire when I get home. There is a theme park called Santa's Village and it opens for Christmas Time. The first weekend of Christmas Time happens to be the long Thanksgiving weekend. We drive up Friday when I return from shopping, arriving in time to check in. Then we take a dip in the pool and eat supper right at the Cabot Motor Inn and Restaurant. After supper, we head to Santa's Village. If you go in late in the afternoon, they give you a ticket for the next day -- which means no waiting when the crowds show up. We spend a couple hours in the park then head back to the Cabot (less than a mile away). Next day, we spend as much time as we like at the park before crashing for a second night. The following morning, we have breakfast, take one last swim, then head for home. It's a great way to start the Christmas season.

This year I will be flying to Texas for a week, so I have to consider carry-on and checked baggage allowances. Plus, American Airlines, like some others, is now charging for baggage, $15 for the first bag and $25 for the second (per person), so I have to take luggage size and fees into consideration. (I will be carrying at least one piece of empty luggage for the trip home and taking my personal bag as a carry-on at no charge in both directions. :gdcar:

One of my favorite options is the US Mail. I am limited to what the plane will carry when I shop. This will equal about four Rubbermaid totes. Anything over that I mail back to myself. I live far enough from the stores that this is not unusual to me and I have totes all over the place in order to mail things to me.