>>> Official Black Friday 2008 LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

I have an hp dv6135nr right now which is very similar to the model that you were looking at. I have had it for 3 years, and have had NO problems with it whatsoever. I take really good care of it, making sure to handle it gently and store it well when travelling, but it has been a GREAT laptop. The touch media buttons are kinda fun, too...

Edited by biggunslent

Right now I'm using the doorbuster HP from BB BF two years ago. 512, single core, 80Ghd. It does everything I need it to, but I'm getting the 14" and upgrasing this year. I'll prob give it to my nephew. I expect he'll have it going as long or longer than I have.

I love the simple on/off for the touchpad. It is the seller for me. I write a LOT and was always dropping my thumb on the pad.

Also I have dropped this thing more times than my cell phone and it's still ticking. I actually had to buy a power cord cause last time it went down it snapped where it goes into the laptop. And it still works fine.:eyepoppin ps that dang cord cost $85, almost a third of what I paid for the computer. Yes, I could have gotten it cheaper if I shopped around, but I was under a time thing.

I just wanted to point out to the uninformed that HP's can be solid performers.

HP Laptop - Pentium Dual Core T3200 with 2 GB Ram and Cannon 3 in 1 Printer $280 (BB In-Store)

SKU: 9999102200050001

Sorry guys, I don't have enough posts to put the URL but you can search the SKU on the BB website.

When I search this deal on BB I find this laptop.

It is currently listed as $850 but says "coming soon."

What evidence do you have that it will be $280?

I went right to the SKU a little bit ago and saw what he was talking about- but now it has changed. I also went to the store and they notonly had no idea what I was talking about, they dont even have thatlaptop there yet. Wish like heck I had printed it out!!:mad:

I went right to the SKU a little bit ago and saw what he was talking about- but now it has changed. I also went to the store and they notonly had no idea what I was talking about, they dont even have thatlaptop there yet. Wish like heck I had printed it out!!:mad:

So you saw it for $280? What else changed on the page?

So you saw it for $280? What else changed on the page?

well, first of all, it said there was a savings of 569.99(from 849.98) and that it was only available in store. Further down it stated that the regular price was 649.98 with an instant savings of 369.99 to make it 279.99. Then it had a list of stores in my area that it was available at. I wonder if I brought in the page they would honor it, but I doubt it bc it clearly looks like some sort of error. They can keep the printer if they'll give me the laptop for that price:D

I have an hp dv6135nr right now which is very similar to the model that you were looking at. I have had it for 3 years, and have had NO problems with it whatsoever. I take really good care of it, making sure to handle it gently and store it well when travelling, but it has been a GREAT laptop. The touch media buttons are kinda fun, too...

thanks for the info on the hp, i guess theres might be a year or 2 older so b4 they stepped it up, i dont know tho. I am considering that laptop since its a bigger screen, looks good, alot of features i like, plus has the number pad on the side. although now Im looking at the Dells too, I know its going to be a last minute decision. Thanks again

Edited by freesia39
removed part regarding illegally downloading software

SONY VAIO LAPTOP FROM BB ON BF FOR $899.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9999101400050008&st=9999101400050008&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=pcmprd101500050008

Facts:

16.4" XBRITE ECO (720p) widescreen...NO FullHD (1080P) support.

Intel T5800 processor...

Blu-ray DVD player....no burner...

My guess:

250GB hard drive 5400RPM...not 7200RPM

What do you guys thing? Worth the $$$?

SONY VAIO LAPTOP FROM BB ON BF FOR $899.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9999101400050008&st=9999101400050008&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=pcmprd101500050008

Facts:

16.4" XBRITE ECO (720p) widescreen...NO FullHD (1080P) support.

Intel T5800 processor...

Blu-ray DVD player....no burner...

My guess:

250GB hard drive 5400RPM...not 7200RPM

What do you guys thing? Worth the $$$?

thats where im questionable. Since I have a ps3 there's my blu-ray player. I was thinkin of saving the 200 and getting the 17" HP from staples for 700, would be good enough to DL & play movies on and connect to my hdtv via hdmi. Or even the Dell for 800. I like Dell, had my desktop for about 7 years now, no issues with it. Aaaah decisions decisions

I did my recon at BB tonight since I have to work tomorrow.:yuck:

I found a HP Netbook that appeared close enough to the specs thrown up already to make me drool. I am probly going to get this instead of the 14" if it is indeed $150. Or even $200. I already have a laptop so this would be more portable. The thing will fit in my purse. And it wasn't on display and it was priced today at $450.

It has a 10" screen, 1gig DDR2, 16G SSD, XP, Intel Atom and a webcam. perfect for when I am out. I have a lot of e-books I can save to it and will actually be able to do more than read. Kindle Watch out. I knew I didn't invest in one of those for a reason.

Ok, I need clarity. I'm hearing a lot of talk about BB and their laptops. I've heard the following:

$229,99 Toshiba Laptop

$299.99 Sony Viao Laptop

$344.98 HP Laptop W/ 3-in-1 Printer (Rumored to be $280 and not $345)

$379.98 Toshiba Laptop

My question is this, I know the specs on the HP and Toshiba Laptop (the one for $380), but does anyone have any clue as to what the specs on the other two laptops would be and whether or not they would come with anything?

Also my other question is, other than the fact that BB initially had the HP laptop mistakenly listed for $280 is there any other evidence to support the rumor that this laptop will in fact be $280, because I mean BB's website lists this one as being $345 and I can't imagine they would change this on us?

I ask for this clarity as I have some friends and family interested in laptops and I want to recommend them the best laptop for their needs (and budget) out of the four listed above.

I figured since this was the official laptop discussion thread I'd ask this here, but if you think my question would get a better response from being posted in the BB store specific sub-forum, I can certainly move my question there.

Thank you for your help.

Right now I'm using the doorbuster HP from BB BF two years ago. 512, single core, 80Ghd. It does everything I need it to, but I'm getting the 14" and upgrasing this year. I'll prob give it to my nephew. I expect he'll have it going as long or longer than I have.

I love the simple on/off for the touchpad. It is the seller for me. I write a LOT and was always dropping my thumb on the pad.

Also I have dropped this thing more times than my cell phone and it's still ticking. I actually had to buy a power cord cause last time it went down it snapped where it goes into the laptop. And it still works fine.:eyepoppin ps that dang cord cost $85, almost a third of what I paid for the computer. Yes, I could have gotten it cheaper if I shopped around, but I was under a time thing.

I just wanted to point out to the uninformed that HP's can be solid performers.

That is the one that I currentlt have now. I am looking to get one with more memory and a bigger hard drive, but this one is still AWESOME! I will be so sad to say goodbye to my Windows XP Media Edition. But I am ready to upgrade to a newer one...even if it has Vista.:yuck: My sister got the same one and she has dropped hers several times including one time on the street! It is still ticking strong. I love my HP and will probably give it to my hubby when I get the new one. Only I get the shiny NEW toys...lol. :P

Okay .. so I am thinking about getting DD17 a HS Senior a laptop for Christmas because she'll be headed to college in the fall of 2009. OR should I wait and get her one in 2009 as a graduation present?

I'm basically just looking for a laptop for her to do class papers on, check email, surf the net .. nothing major on it.

Any suggestions on what to look for? I have NFI what RAM means or processor speed. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to computer specs.

Thanks!

Andrea, I'm doing the same thing for my Senior daughter. Actually, I found one in Sunday's paper that I liked better than the one I had been eying on BF. I looked for the most GB and the most RAM for the money and a reliable brand. I'm not sure about this Acer brand - they still seem new to me. I wound up with a Gateway which have always been reliable. But for BF I was looking at the Office Depot HP under $500. It's going to be like playing the slots in Vegas. My grandma always said once you walk away from a machine and you hear a winning bell going off - don't look back because inevitably it will be the machine you just left that someone only put one quarter in. So...once I commit and buy the laptop I plan to refrain from looking at anything else so I don't kick myself if there are better deals in the spring.

Just got the Best Buy Laptop for $499 no lines great deal;)

The HP - Pavilion Laptop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5800 dv4-1114nr

I just got the same one :yup: No waiting in line for us! :woot2: High Five! :cheesy:

I personally think its the best Black Friday deal that Ive researched this past week. It has an Intel Core 2 which as we know will save battery power and run faster than that one that Office Depot is selling for $349 that comes equipped with a some what older processor know was the Intel Dual Core which more better suited for a desktop. The it has a solid 3GB and 160GB hard drive to start you off with. I personally dont need or want a 250GB HD, wouldnt use it, and it would only take up more battery power. Its has a 14.1 inch widescreen. A nice size that will give you better battery life than a 15.4 inch. However, I will admitt, if I didnt own a desktop then Id definitely want a laptop with a 15.4 inch screen. However, since I do own a desktop, three things that are important to me when buying a laptop is: battery life, size (14.1 inch being the perfect screen), and speed. Im a student and carry my computer around a lot, I dont want a 15.6 inch clunker. But with all aside, I recommend this computer to ever. For just under $500 you are getting the best computer for your $$$. Now dont get me wrong if your looking for the cheapest deal and you arent going to use the computer for many things then the $350 at office depot it alright. Im personally willing to shell out the extra $150 for the better more up to date processer that will give me better battery life and faster speed.

And on a side note, if you need a printer or just want more space and ram, you can get this exact same model that goes for $499.99 for $599.99 and it comes with a 250GB hardrive, 4GB Ram, Epson all-one-printer, and Virus Protection software. Personally I already have a printer, so I dont need one. I dont want the extra hardrive space. The Virus Protection I can get from anyone, plus thats just a bonus that costs Best Buy almost nothing to tack on. So really Id only be digging the extra GB of Ram, not enough to justify buying it for an extra $100 when I could get it for almost half that by itself. But who knows, maybe youd like that extra hard drive space, maybe you need a printer, maybe the virus protection gives you piece of mind, and maybe you like the extra GB of ram as much as I do. It all depends on the person. In the mean time I was to post these to deals up here so everyone has access to them. Seriously why wait "in line" to buy a laptop when you can buy it "on line" now.

Id give links but it wont let me since Im new

Heres the one I got:

Best Buy's Website and search sku 9102017 and it will pop up

Heres the same one, but with the extra stuff for another $100:

Best Buy's Website and search sku 9999101400050007 and it will pop up.

And heres an even better deal for you if you dont mind Windows Vista 64-bit instead of Windows Vista Home Edition. You get a Turion X2 Tl-60 processor which is basically AMD's version of the Intel Core 2 Duo. Then on top of it you get 4G of RAM and a 250GB hard drive. With a pretty cool looking graphic on the top of your case. And btw ignore my buddies one and only review. He wrote that and he doesnt even own the computer. He just wrote it so I would stop debating over which one to get the Intel Core 2 Duo or the Turion X2 Tl-60.

Best Buy's Website and search sku 9125537 and it will pop up.

Anyways good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

$499 for just the laptop with 3 GB RAM and 160 GB hard drive. $599 for the next step-up lappy (4 GB RAM/ 250 GB hard drive), anti-virus software and printer. Currently looks like the $499 one is sold out online but the $599 bundle is still available.

which one would you recommend between these two

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9125537&st=Tday_Computers_20081127&lp=11&type=product&cp=1&id=1218028404703 and this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9999101400050007&st=Tday_Computers_20081127&lp=10&type=product&cp=1&id=pcmprd101500050007 I heard the printer sucks in the pacackage deal one

I just want to comment that Im sooooo happy that I dont have to wait in those stupid lines again :yuck: I can get a full nights sleep and then go for the small things early in the morning that no one goes for until after they get there big items, instead of devoting my whole night standing in front of Best Buy :woot2: I just drove past two of them at 8pm tonight, and already there were 20-25 people at each of them :gdlaugh: Pffft no way in hell I was going to give up my family just to get a stinking laptop like those people did. So I gotta say it again, Im glad I got to eat a fully belly of full and can sleep the night away in my warm comfy bed. Goodnight and Goodluck to everyone that wasnt as lucky :2goodnite

Both are pretty equal, just that one processor is an Intel dual core and the other's AMD's equivalent. The one in the package (dv4-1117nr) has might have a slight advantage with the Core2Duo chipset, Intel GMA 45000MHD graphics, and HDMI support.

Far as the included Epson Stylus NX400, you can read the multiple reviews about it. The major complaint about Epson is they use multiple color cartridges (about six with the all-in-ones) and if one runs out it won't print. Cartridges aren't cheap, either. :no: Personally, I'd prefer having a choice and go with something Canon has to offer.

Both are pretty equal, just that one processor is an Intel dual core and the other's AMD's equivalent. The one in the package (dv4-1117nr) has might have a slight advantage with the Core2Duo chipset, Intel GMA 45000MHD graphics, and HDMI support.

Far as the included Epson Stylus NX400, you can read the multiple reviews about it. The major complaint about Epson is they use multiple color cartridges (about six with the all-in-ones) and if one runs out it won't print. Cartridges aren't cheap, either. :no: Personally, I'd prefer having a choice and go with something Canon has to offer.

Thank you so much that is the one I picked (the package deal) I just hope I get it and they dont cancel my order. Telling me their is no more in stock or something

The Intel processor will run a little cooler also (if generated heat is an important factor for you).

After missing out on Staples $400 deal which includes an HP notebook (G50-109NR) with 2GB ram, 120 GB hard drive, DVDrw drive, Vista and also a free HP printer and then missing out on circuit city's $400 deal for a similar HP notebook (G50-108NR) I was very dissapointed.

My girlfriend picked me up Office Max's deal which has probably the least impressive HP laptop of these offers the (G50-102NR) for around the same $400 (saved around $150). It has all the same specs as all the other laptops, the DVD rewriteable, 2 GB RAM 120GB hard drive. The only difference is that it is powered by the AMD Sempron processor as oppossed to the INtel pentium T3200 and the AMD Athlon X2.

Are there any tech gurus around today that can tell me if This deal is worth keeping or should I return it. I'm not going to spend any more than 400 and any laptop and this seems to have all the bells and whistles I need. Any insight will help.