>>> Official Black Friday 2008 LAPTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

• 1 month later...

Posted by stationchief:

Back by popular demand: The 2008 Laptop Comparison Charts! Enjoy! :D Sorry for the delay, folks. :o

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/charts/gdcc2008.php

Most of the info is finished and the rest soon to follow. A few things about the laptop charts:

Just mouse over a part of the chart for brief instructions on how to use it. You can sort something to the top, organize the laptops by a specific detail, etc.

Some of the laptops are BF and/or store exclusive (like Walmarts or Best Buys). Detailed info about those will come soon as we get it.

You know... I think netbooks will be a LOT like the Tablet PC... yea, their nice to carry around and do simple things, but I need POWER! Thats why I am looking to replace my current gen MacBook Pro with a NEW MacBook Pro. I truly think the netbooks won't be around for long. Just my idea. It will be a fad. Just like the Tablet PC. And it was an epic fail.

You know... I think netbooks will be a LOT like the Tablet PC... yea, their nice to carry around and do simple things, but I need POWER! Thats why I am looking to replace my current gen MacBook Pro with a NEW MacBook Pro. I truly think the netbooks won't be around for long. Just my idea. It will be a fad. Just like the Tablet PC. And it was an epic fail.

Tablet PCs are still very good for some applications (health care, education, construction), but not for 99% of the general public. As for the netbooks, they really are underpowered for the most part, and their small size (and small keyboards) make them really hard to use for more than a few minutes at a time. I'd suggest taking the $ that you would have spent on a netbook and put it towards a real laptop. Price isn't everything.

But yeah, the BF ads will have a lot of these $199 and $299 "laptops" but there will be a lot of disappointed buyers when they get them home and find out they can't do a lot of what they want them to be able to do. And the ones that have bigger 9-10" screens and any version of Windows cost just as much if not more than a much more powerful 14-15" regular laptop that are always cheap on BF.

Tablet PCs are still very good for some applications (health care, education, construction), but not for 99% of the general public. As for the netbooks, they really are underpowered for the most part, and their small size (and small keyboards) make them really hard to use for more than a few minutes at a time. I'd suggest taking the $ that you would have spent on a netbook and put it towards a real laptop. Price isn't everything.

But yeah, the BF ads will have a lot of these $199 and $299 "laptops" but there will be a lot of disappointed buyers when they get them home and find out they can't do a lot of what they want them to be able to do. And the ones that have bigger 9-10" screens and any version of Windows cost just as much if not more than a much more powerful 14-15" regular laptop that are always cheap on BF.

Ding Ding Ding!! I don't think Netbooks will really make a big "mark" on the market. Apple is gaining market share in the Notebook Market and I suspect that it will only continue to grow with the impending release of a new line of updated notebooks. I still think they will put out a "cheaper" notebook. Something like the MacBook presently, but cheaper if you will. Some indications say this will come on October 14th while others say the late October time frame. It is ironic, however, though that Nvidia is releasing a new chip set on the 15th. Some speculation shows that Apple could switch to Nvidia graphics for the new line up, but only time will tell.

For me, I have to have more power. I am a professional Videographer and do a LOT of Free Lance. I have some of the most powerful computers (ALL MACS) and I need powerful notebooks also. I agree that they aren't for everyone. And I agree that the netbooks defiantly aren't for everyone. For the general "user" and now a power user like me, I think the normal $299 / $399 notebooks on BF are just what they need. I think that is basically what you said. Correct me if I'm wrong. lol.

• 2 weeks later...
As a college student, I'm pretty pumped about these netbooks; particularly the Acer AspireOne (a pink one, of course) which currently sales for $349 on WM's website. While I primarily use my desktop PC for important things like quizzes and interactive web assignments, having something small for checking email and assignments is going to be amazing for me! I'm really hoping the price will drop significantly and I can get one of the puppies for dirt cheap. I do agree with you though, Brad that a lot of people will be disappointed once they get home with a netbook. I've done my research and I know that I'm not buying a powerhouse, however I don't think a lot of people have. They're gonna see a "good bargain" and go for it....hopefully this won't deter me from getting my hands on one!! Keep your eyes out for a cheap one for me...I'll be checking the ads on here daily!

As a college student, I'm pretty pumped about these netbooks; particularly the Acer AspireOne (a pink one, of course) which currently sales for $349 on WM's website. While I primarily use my desktop PC for important things like quizzes and interactive web assignments, having something small for checking email and assignments is going to be amazing for me! I'm really hoping the price will drop significantly and I can get one of the puppies for dirt cheap. I do agree with you though, Brad that a lot of people will be disappointed once they get home with a netbook. I've done my research and I know that I'm not buying a powerhouse, however I don't think a lot of people have. They're gonna see a "good bargain" and go for it....hopefully this won't deter me from getting my hands on one!! Keep your eyes out for a cheap one for me...I'll be checking the ads on here daily!

Welcome to the board and the GottaDeal community tstimac! Keep your eyes out for the BF ads, but also on the online hot deals forum and front/main GD page. As you may see deals at any time.

Okay .. so I am thinking about getting DD17 a HS Senior a laptop for Christmas because she'll be headed to college in the fall of 2009. OR should I wait and get her one in 2009 as a graduation present?

I'm basically just looking for a laptop for her to do class papers on, check email, surf the net .. nothing major on it.

Any suggestions on what to look for? I have NFI what RAM means or processor speed. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to computer specs.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone.. I have gotten a email from a friend of mine asking me about laptops and Black Friday. I thought I would share it with you guys....

Q: "Yo wx4svr ... What the "heck" is a netbook? How is it different and is it better than a regular laptop? Later dude... "

A: Ok, this is going to be a big topic later on. Netbooks are more or less.. SMALL and stripped down laptops. They don't have the power of a full laptop, nor the memory, hard drive space, or brunt force a laptop has. A netbook is made to travel and just do light things such as web surfing, minor apps like Office, and e-mail. They ARE NOT for those who have a TON of music and wish to keep it with them as netbooks don't have a ton of hard drive space. Also, they ARE NOT for those who want to store all their photos on it or product videos... they simply don't have the power. If you need something with a bit more force to do what you want, I'd HIGHLY suggest checking out a normal laptop like a Dell, HP, or... my personal FAVORITE ... Apple!!!!!! =)

Hope that helps some of you.

I'm basically just looking for a laptop for her to do class papers on, check email, surf the net .. nothing major on it.

Any suggestions on what to look for? I have NFI what RAM means or processor speed. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to computer specs.

Thanks!

I'm looking for one too! However, I do a lot of digital scrapbooking and had couple program for handling the pics, now mine is 2003, seem always feel like not enough RAM too run. Any good suggestions? I'm also idiot when it comes to computer specs!:) Thanks!!

I am considering getting a "netbook" on BF instead of a full laptop.

I carry around a 320gb portable HDD everywhere I go anyways.. I figure that with the portable space and the netbook I'll be pretty good.

Any thoughts on this setup?

Alternatively what are the chances we'll see something like this in the $300-$400 range?:

Toshiba Satellite 15.4" Dual Core Laptop w/ 4GB, 320GB - $579.99 Shipped

http://www.gottadeal.com/DirectDeal/28983

You don't really want a net book. Most of them are about 8.9 inch diagonal, barely any power, and no CD or DVD drive! If you're going to get one of those, plan to get an external cd/dvd, and don't expect to be able to watch many movies as the graphics in them are cheap chipsets.

I wouldn't have one except perhaps to give to my 7 year old grandson.

Debi

Actually, most of the responders are incorrect. Netbooks are really quite useful. ONe poster says they are no good because they don't have CD drive. Well, who carries CD's around with them anyways. You can wifi into your home network and download any programs from there, and not need CD's. QAs for hard drive space, most now come with 120 or 160 Gig, which is more than sufficient for most people. I have a laptop that has only 30 gig, been using it for four years, and it works fine. With portable hardrives, and thumbdrives now available cheaply, you can carry all your music in your pocket.

My cheap laptop plays movies just fine, I also use it, with only 1 gig ram, to stream live video with no issues.

The prices are great, and at only 2.2 lbs, they are much easier to tote around than a 6 to 8 pound full size laptop.

Actually, most of the responders are incorrect. Netbooks are really quite useful. ONe poster says they are no good because they don't have CD drive. Well, who carries CD's around with them anyways. You can wifi into your home network and download any programs from there, and not need CD's. QAs for hard drive space, most now come with 120 or 160 Gig, which is more than sufficient for most people. I have a laptop that has only 30 gig, been using it for four years, and it works fine. With portable hardrives, and thumbdrives now available cheaply, you can carry all your music in your pocket.

My cheap laptop plays movies just fine, I also use it, with only 1 gig ram, to stream live video with no issues.

The prices are great, and at only 2.2 lbs, they are much easier to tote around than a 6 to 8 pound full size laptop.

I agree with most all of what you said with one caveat. A laptop will generally offer more power and therefore more ability to handle the stupid little programs that non-technically savvy people put on their computers (by accident or on purpose) that eat up system resources and slow down systems. I have to clean these stupid things off relatives' computers all the time.

If you know what you're doing, then a netbook is more than adequate for the vast majority of what you need a laptop for. If you know what you're doing and you're a big time gamer or are seriously into CGI or something, you're going to do that on a tower (not a laptop or netbook) anyway as the necessity to regularly upgrade things like video cards and processors and sound cards and such require that type of platform. Unless you've got more money than sense and enjoy throwing out laptops every 6 months as they become obsolete...

When all is said and done, a netbook probably isn't the best choice for you if its your only computer, but it makes a great addition to an already existing wireless network.

Hope this helps...

Guest CS.Dean
One thing I learned last year was the laptop they sell are stripped down models. I worked on the Toshiba from Best Buy last year and it was a cool machine. After I used it for about 3 months someone came along and ask if I would sell it. I got more than I gave for it so I sold it. I moved to more balanced Gateway now. It was more of what I was looking for to start with. The black Friday machines are cool but beware that you may have to " work " them up to a good machine but there is a chance they will have RAM on sale really cheap as well.

Could really use a new laptop but so far the ones I have seen are not what I need. From what I have read here and done my dd on the netbooks are NOT an option. I want one that can video edit, hold music, play a few games (nothing fancy) ..etc.

Apple is also not an option as there are a few PC games I would like to play on the laptop. I am no CPU guru so hoping to get some good info here.

Wow you guys seem to be on TOP of your game!! Do you think you can help me out with finding the BEST laptop for my money this Blackfriday!!??? Pppppppplease!!! :D

You need to provide some information if you want useful help. The best BF laptop deal may have been yesterday at Wal-Mart. Why did you pass on that one? If I were shopping for a laptop, I would have definitely grabbed that one -- you can always return it if something better comes along.

You need to provide some information if you want useful help. The best BF laptop deal may have been yesterday at Wal-Mart. Why did you pass on that one? If I were shopping for a laptop, I would have definitely grabbed that one -- you can always return it if something better comes along.

It only had 1gb and everyone told me to get 2gb's when running vista....I dont know much about laptops but I dont buy them everyday so I want the best for my $$ and I dont think that was it....I would also need microsoft office....you know excel, word, etc....

Any ideas?? I'll take all the help I can get I dont want to spend more then $1200, so Im trying to find the best for my $$$...;)

No, it was a pretty decent inexpensive machine...

Main Features include:

* SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW drive with double-layer support

* Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic

* 160GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)

* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (shared)

* 15.4-inch High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800)

* 2048MB DDR2 System Memory

* 2.00 GHz Intel Celeron Processor 575 with 667MHz FSB

* 1 microphone-in and 1 Headphone out

* 3 USB 2.0 ports

* Wireless Option - 802.11b/g WLAN

* HP Imprint finish and Integrated Microphone

* Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN

* 6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

Not sure about office, but HP (owns Compaq) ships with trial version of Office plus Microsoft Works. As a student, you should be able to get Office on the cheap anyway.

Not rubbing it in -- just trying to understand what you are looking for. Right now, there are no good deals out there. Keep checking in in case there is another pre-BF deal.

No, it was a pretty decent inexpensive machine...

Main Features include:

* SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW drive with double-layer support

* Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic

* 160GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)

* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (shared)

* 15.4-inch High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800)

* 2048MB DDR2 System Memory

* 2.00 GHz Intel Celeron Processor 575 with 667MHz FSB

* 1 microphone-in and 1 Headphone out

* 3 USB 2.0 ports

* Wireless Option - 802.11b/g WLAN

* HP Imprint finish and Integrated Microphone

* Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN

* 6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

Not sure about office, but HP (owns Compaq) ships with trial version of Office plus Microsoft Works. As a student, you should be able to get Office on the cheap anyway.

Not rubbing it in -- just trying to understand what you are looking for. Right now, there are no good deals out there. Keep checking in in case there is another pre-BF deal.

A student I wish those where the east days....LoL I need office to run my buss from...Im looking at this one...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9035572&st=9035572&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218010849257&AID=10597222&PID=1418914&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage.jsp%3FskuId%3D9035572%26st%3D9035572%26lp%3D1%26type%3Dproduct%26cp%3D1%26id%3D1218010849257&ref=39&loc=01

and this one...

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item_nbr=307513&landing=307513

My poor desktop sounds like a wounded wild animal. The fan keeps getting louder and if I do any updates now it just can't handle it. Its about 6 years old. So I plan to replace it this year with a laptop I can use at home and take to college with me. I want something with a dual core that can run vista and photoshop, office and all the basics. I don't game or do anything to major. I'm hoping for something around the $400 range. Think BestBuy will come through for me? I see Dell didn't lol. Help I need advice and guidence from people who know laptops :)

I would seriously doubt that any laptop you could buy for $400 would adequately run photoshop. I mean obviously it would run but the graphics cards in these machines are horrible, the hard drives are slow and small, and the screens do not have the resolution that you should have for graphics work. My guess for a low end machine for graphic would be something like $650-700. This is kind of where I am look but I want a machine for web development and some gaming. JMO Good luck!

You don't really want a net book. Most of them are about 8.9 inch diagonal, barely any power, and no CD or DVD drive! If you're going to get one of those, plan to get an external cd/dvd, and don't expect to be able to watch many movies as the graphics in them are cheap chipsets.

I wouldn't have one except perhaps to give to my 7 year old grandson.

Debi

I have an Acer Aspire one with 1GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive.

It does 90 percent of what I use my regular laptop for without issue.

If you have a network at home, the lack of an optical drive is a non-issue really.

As far as movies, this little thing plays almost everything I throw at it with the exception of 1080p material.

I have a copy of Iron Man at 720p plays like a charm!

/my 2 cents

You'd be seriously wrong. The walmart laptop would happily run photoshop. Requirements are here.

Well as I stated it may be capable of running the application but when I used CS3 if the laptop was even moderately equipped Photoshop would be slow, I couldn't imagine trying it on some of these entry level pcs.

I guess it all depends on what you are used to and what you are doing with the laptop. When I think of someone asking about using Photoshop on a laptop I am assuming that they are using it for detailed graphics work were you will tend to have tons of layers and effects going on thereby using up tons on memory and working the harddrive pretty well. Now if you just want to run photoshop because you like to use it to crop images or make prank images then these will work fine.