>>> Official Black Friday 2008 VIDEO GAME Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Yeah, it is basically the same as any other Xbox (i.e. same functionality) but just does not come with a harddrive or wireless controllers. The harddrive is not a huge necessity but really comes in handy if you want to download anything off from Xbox Live since there is not much on-board storage in the Xbox... my Rock Band and ROck Band 2 downloads alone would be way too much for the Xbox alone and I don't have too many at all.

It is a decent item if you can get it cheap though and easy enough to get a hardrive for it (Go on Ebay for a harddrive...they are expensive at the store).

I believe the Arcade version also comes with a disk with some little arcade games on it as well.

Actually, the Arcade version does come with a wireless controller now. I had to get another one this past summer after my son cord went bad and I was pleasantly surprised to see the wireless controller. Worked out well for me b/c he wanted anotehr one and after paying $50 last Xmas for 1, I did not want to have to do it again.

Leah, may I suggest renting a good instrument for six months or so? A cheap guitar will have horrible quality and will be harder for him to play (I know, I had a crummy acoustic and it was really hard to press my fingers down on the strings to get good sound -- my fingers hurt all the time and even bled.)

The thing that's important when you're starting out is not getting discouraged, and a bad instrument will make it that much harder!

You can rent instruments at any decent music store.

(I'd still get Guitar Hero though!)

HTH!

I will look around here and see if I can find a music store and see what will be the cheapest route. Thanks for that suggestion. My dh had an electric one, but when we moved he gave it away. We had no idea my ds would take an intrest in it or we would have kept it. It was just a cheap one that someone had given us.

Thanks again for the suggestions from everyone.

btw...mil is getting the guitar hero for him for christmas!!!

Question, is there a major difference in the Guitar Hero bundles? I want to get one for DH for Christmas, we have a PS2 and KMart has the GH3 Bundle for $44.95 (its sold out online but they have them at my local store). The oother Guitar Hero I saw was Aerosmith and that one is like $89.00. If there a major difference between the two games?

$44.95 seemed really cheap for the game and the guitar and since we don;t have any of them I figured for that price it would be the way to go?

Question, is there a major difference in the Guitar Hero bundles? I want to get one for DH for Christmas, we have a PS2 and KMart has the GH3 Bundle for $44.95 (its sold out online but they have them at my local store). The oother Guitar Hero I saw was Aerosmith and that one is like $89.00. If there a major difference between the two games?

$44.95 seemed really cheap for the game and the guitar and since we don;t have any of them I figured for that price it would be the way to go?

I wondered about this too, how much better might it be, etc. Also why are some versions so expensive?

Are they really BETTER or just NEWER?

It seemed to me watching the prices of them during the last 2 weeks, that they are all being offered on different type of promotions, different days/weeks/BF.

So I suppose we cannot necessarily figure that just because one may be closer to 100 bucks that it is any better than a deal for 40 bucks..

I wondered if you could use a guitar across all discs?

In other words, I would hope that the guitar that is in my GH 3 bundle I just bought for my son, will work if I decide to buy the Aerosmith disc... I asked this question but I don't think anyone replied...

My son has the PS2 version of GH w/wired guitar, then GH2 came out w/wireless guitar and we bought that (so his friends can play) then we bought the GH 3 & Aerosmith games (no guitars) and all the discs work with his original 2 guitars.

He just got the GH World Tour band kit for the Wii and since that's a different system, all the PS2 versions won't work on it.

My son has the PS2 version of GH w/wired guitar, then GH2 came out w/wireless guitar and we bought that (so his friends can play) then we bought the GH 3 & Aerosmith games (no guitars) and all the discs work with his original 2 guitars.

He just got the GH World Tour band kit for the Wii and since that's a different system, all the PS2 versions won't work on it.

Ok thanks, so basically I can buy the other games later for PS2 and they should work with the wireless guitar that came iwth the bundle. I think for the price then I will just go for the GH3 since its $44.95 and the game alone is $39.99, so really its almost like getting the guitar for free.

well i just got the best phone call for the christmas season, my boys paternal great grandmother is going to buy a wii or ps 3 for them for christmas, i need to let her know which they want by tommorow, so she can order it in time for when she sees them. Which system is best for a 4 & 7 year old basing it on which has games that are in there age range and which system will be easier for them to operate.

has anyone played the Beijing Olympics game? one of my boys is a gymnast and the other is into swim and wrestling, so the olympics were a BIG deal here...they love the mario olympics for their DS

I found the Beijing game at Target for $34 (down from $59), so I grabbed it, but before I commit to giving it to them, I'd like to know if anyone has any comments on it

well i just got the best phone call for the christmas season, my boys paternal great grandmother is going to buy a wii or ps 3 for them for christmas, i need to let her know which they want by tommorow, so she can order it in time for when she sees them. Which system is best for a 4 & 7 year old basing it on which has games that are in there age range and which system will be easier for them to operate.

I would recommend the Wii since they are still young. Wii has a lot more games that include their age group. The PS3 I think is geared more for older teens and adults.

I see that circuit city has good 360 deal on Black Friday..... the arcade one with an extra controller and refurb. hard drive for $199. Anyone know if it comes with headsets??? or how crazy they are on BF...... haven't been there before... are the chances of getting one good or are they scarce since its a good deal?????

DH has been talking about both Wii and PS3 for about a year now. He has recently decided that he likes the PS3 better. I am thinking about getting him one for Christmas....it's not really something "on his list" but I thought it would be a nice surprise. Do you think there is any indication of it coming down in price over the holidays at all, or will I be better off just looking for a really great price on a bundle? I have never bought a game system before (our DD is only 3, so she's not into anything like that...yet!) so I have no idea if they normally go on sale around holidays, or if the price is pretty much fixed all year through.

I wondered about this too, how much better might it be, etc. Also why are some versions so expensive?

Are they really BETTER or just NEWER?

It seemed to me watching the prices of them during the last 2 weeks, that they are all being offered on different type of promotions, different days/weeks/BF.

So I suppose we cannot necessarily figure that just because one may be closer to 100 bucks that it is any better than a deal for 40 bucks..

I wondered if you could use a guitar across all discs?

In other words, I would hope that the guitar that is in my GH 3 bundle I just bought for my son, will work if I decide to buy the Aerosmith disc... I asked this question but I don't think anyone replied...

I'll admit that I'm kinda new to GH myself, but this is what I've figured out. The same guitar will work on all the games, including Aerosmith and GHWT. You don't need to buy a new bundle every time a new game comes out. I think the GH3 guitar also works with GH1 and GH2. That said, they redesigned the guitar for GHWT, so while the old ones will still work, I think the new guitar will be a little more fun. It has touch-pads for the solos in addition to the buttons. We don't have GHWT yet, but it's on our Christmas list! Also, GHWT has the drum kit and microphone components as well, which you can buy either in a bundle with the guitar and game or separately if you don't care about the new guitar. Each bundle also only has one guitar, so if you probably want to get a second one, which you can buy separately. And, to make things more confusing, you can also use Rock Band 2 equipment with GHWT. I've heard that the Rock Band guitar is better for lefties, but the general consensus among my friends is that the GH equipment is better.

I'm sure someone will correct me if any of what I said was wrong/incomplete. I hope that helps!

DH has been talking about both Wii and PS3 for about a year now. He has recently decided that he likes the PS3 better. I am thinking about getting him one for Christmas....it's not really something "on his list" but I thought it would be a nice surprise. Do you think there is any indication of it coming down in price over the holidays at all, or will I be better off just looking for a really great price on a bundle? I have never bought a game system before (our DD is only 3, so she's not into anything like that...yet!) so I have no idea if they normally go on sale around holidays, or if the price is pretty much fixed all year through.

Game consoles rarely, if ever, go on sale.

and the PS3 will not have a price drop until a rumored one in spring.

has anyone played the Beijing Olympics game? one of my boys is a gymnast and the other is into swim and wrestling, so the olympics were a BIG deal here...they love the mario olympics for their DS

I found the Beijing game at Target for $34 (down from $59), so I grabbed it, but before I commit to giving it to them, I'd like to know if anyone has any comments on it

I played the demo on the X360 and it was awful. Lots of button mashing and very frustrating. The Olympic game for the Wii (Mario & Sonic) is a lot better and more fun.

I would recommend the Wii since they are still young. Wii has a lot more games that include their age group. The PS3 I think is geared more for older teens and adults.

I agree. I have the Wii and PS3. The Wii is fun for all ages and has a lot of different types of activities and games. There is something for everyone. The PS3, IMO, is more for gamers. My two teenage sons love the ps3, dd13 plays the wii. She only plays guitar hero on PS3 (we don't have it for wii).

Thanks very much for your reply it answered my question :D

I'll admit that I'm kinda new to GH myself, but this is what I've figured out. The same guitar will work on all the games, including Aerosmith and GHWT. You don't need to buy a new bundle every time a new game comes out. I think the GH3 guitar also works with GH1 and GH2. That said, they redesigned the guitar for GHWT, so while the old ones will still work, I think the new guitar will be a little more fun. It has touch-pads for the solos in addition to the buttons. We don't have GHWT yet, but it's on our Christmas list! Also, GHWT has the drum kit and microphone components as well, which you can buy either in a bundle with the guitar and game or separately if you don't care about the new guitar. Each bundle also only has one guitar, so if you probably want to get a second one, which you can buy separately. And, to make things more confusing, you can also use Rock Band 2 equipment with GHWT. I've heard that the Rock Band guitar is better for lefties, but the general consensus among my friends is that the GH equipment is better.

I'm sure someone will correct me if any of what I said was wrong/incomplete. I hope that helps!

Wow, it helped a great deal. I didn't want to buy him something and have it only compatible with one thing.... Well I actually already bought it because it was a good deal, but I was not going to give it to him until I found out all the details.

Thank you so much :)

Just bought my son the xbox live card for 38.99 at amazon (13 month). Pretty cheap. That was on top of his list from Gamestop- they wanted $50 so Im happy.

amazon.com has the High School Musical DS game for only 9.98 so thats another thing of my list. lol. Both free shipping

Question about the Wii, do you need to buy rechargeable batteries or the charging dock? I am new to the whole Wii system and want to make sure that I have everything ready to play for my DD9 on Christmas day. Also do you have to buy a controller for each game or is there a good bundle that you can buy a bunch of controllers at once for most games?

Thanks for any tips you can give me to make sure I get all the needed accessories.

Thats a good question, I would like to know also.......

:g_help:

My cousin's daughter just gave us her wish list. It includes 3 DS games: Lego Indiana Jones, Imagine Interior Designer, & Mario Party. I didn't see any of these in the BF ads I looked at. A quick browsing of the usual websites was of little help - the Indy is currently $23, the Mario $25, & the Imagine $30, at Amazon. Has anyone seen better prices yet? Think Wal-Mart or Toys R Us will have any of them on sale on BF? Thanks!

*still proudly plays her SNES*