What were your Hits and Misses last Black Friday?

thistledown814

Hit : Mp3 player w/ video (even though i am not big on music but found out I can put podcasts of radio shows on it)

Miss: Large oversized novelty remote. Thought it was a joke gift but it was not. Tried to return it but the store refused (Brookstone) even though the box had their store name on it. Vowed never to shop there again. Went to the centre of the mall and stood on a bench and said "Who wants to trade for a large remote?" Nice lady traded me a box of tea for it.

Last year was an easy christmas as my dd was more into wrapping paper than presents...

But the big hit & miss for my godson:

hit: sansa mp3 player

miss: clothes..

i don't know what i was thinking, he's officially a teenager now, i can't keep up with the styles..

as for personally, the biggest hit? diapers from babies r us - We still have 3 cases left and we're in the process of potty training so... :D

Oh, I got those diapers too! $10 a case--that was the best! I was 9 months preg and wasn't sure I would like the diapers so I only got 4 cases-I wish I bought more. I hope they do that again this year!

Hit- the DS Lite Zelda and DS lite Nintendo Dogs (DS and DD loved them and they were not on their list)

They already had a DS, but DD ds hindge was broken and they wanted as much as a ds to "fix it" or for $10 less than the bundles I got I could have traded it for a DS lite (um, no thanks, I use it now, ;) works fine you just have to be careful of the one hindge)

MIss- Nothing

hit: mio c320 gps @ radio shack for $150. wide screen, and very 'hackable' (i was able to get new maps on it, new voices, and text to speech on it, so my $150 gps performed very similar or even better than $300+ units)

miss... kinda: zune 30 gb (the old one) for $99 @ radio shack. i wanted a new video /mp3 player and i got the zune, but i never really got used to it. it was ugly, big, heavy, and didnt support alot of formats. on the bright side, i held on to it for a few months, and sold it as a "slightly used" (exaggeration since i really only used it 4-5 times tops) unit on craigslist for $110 (so a $10 profit :) )

Hits: Wii System @ Toys R Us the weekend before Thanksgiving. DH was 10th in line. We were thrilled! Play it all the time, love it.

TomTomOne @ BB, recommended to me by another very knowledgeable gottadeal member ;) I think it may have been like $129.00-- I love it!

Miss: Cannot think of any at this time.

DD17 still loves her Compaq Laptop from CC, is using it in college (just not liking the Vista on it so much). DVD's still get used too. Gosh, I cannot even remember what all else I bought that day either!! Various items at Old Navy, VS, etc/

OH!!!! And that Radio Flyer Spring Horse that I got DS3 at TRU on special!! He still plays on that thing almost every day.

Hit: The Sharp 46" LCD I bought at Circuit City.. Still loving it to this day

Misses: I live in the middle of nowhere so I would say anything that went on sale online early.. A miss because we still didn't have high speed internet available yet :(

This year however things will be different!

Hit: WII..I was at Target pretty far from the front of the line when an employee stated they had given out all the tickets for the WII's. Then someone in line gave 2 tickets back to her. I couldn't believe my luck when I got one of the tickets. I was not shopping for a WII yet I got one. It is the best game system especially the bowling!! Although I must admit the adults play it more then DD7! :)

Miss: Toys...DD7 plays with none of her toys. So this year anything except toys!

I did great last year. I was in line at 4:45 at Sears for a video camera, somehow was first in line inside when they opened the doors, was the first to check out and be gone. Was in line at target at 5:10 and got the ticket for the t.v. and got guiter hero before it was gone as well. I was done and going through the starbucks drive thru at like 6:30 and the guy asked if I was going shopping. I was like...honey I'm DONE. :smirk:

To Oneredhonda-15 kids! Wowers! That is A LOT to buy for! I remember my grandmother always brought her grandkids McDonald gift certifcates. They came in a packet of 5 for $5.00 total. Anyone remember those? I always looked forward to receiving those!

haha, yes we always got those in little stockings that were on the tree. Definitely loved getting those...meant more happy meals :D

Hit- fisherprice kitchen for ds...he loves it and still plays with it.

miss- Wii that we got off ebay as a bundle...paid 450 for the whole bundle and only played it maybe 5 times... traded it in for a xbox 360 w/ games and everyone loves it...so something good did come out of it.

Butterscotch was both hit and miss here....I got it for my son who LOVED it and screamed and laughed and loved it to death the first week...then slowly tapered off...however when I said something about giving it to the kids at the shelter, he cried and said we couldn't get rid of his horse...so I'm just not sure

other son wants Biscuit this year...not sure if I want another large toy like that which will be loved but not played with that much

other hits; rockband, real electric guitar

miss; rc helicopter (from grandparents), stupid thing wouldn't fly well at all

Hits --

SanDisk Shaker pink for the youngest niece (except that her mother lost the 3 memory cards that my daughter made specially for the her cousin)

Neon guitar lamp for the 18-year old niece

Books for 2 of the nieces

Cash and gift cards

Misses --

Cabbage Patch & Care Bear for 27year old niece who used to collect them but apparently quit and never told me

Bratz lamps for 2 "middle" nieces who put them on their Christmas lists

Disney SceneIt for one of the above problem nieces who asked for it specially

Books for the same problem nieces - they get gift cards this year, if anything

RC helicopters for the nephews; they never flew right

Also a miss -- the cheap stuff that my sister-in-law continues to buy for me and my sisters from the "school sale".

For DD7 and DD10, the biggest miss was Squawkers Macaw (From a grandparent. I knew better.) whose novelty quickly wore off.

Ugh, my SIL bought this for my niece last year...and by the end of the day on BF driving around hearing the stupid thing talk I wanted to smash it into a thousand pieces. Luckily her girls are really rough on their toys, so it didn't last long :D