You all have to get me through this Black Friday

lovebears65

Here's another idea how you could get some pre-work shopping in:

Instead of doing your usual commute, drive to a location with good stores closer to downtown Boston, shop, park your car in a suitable location there (with any purchases well hidden) and take a shorter train or subway trip in from there. You can find stores in any area by going to Google, view a map of the area, and search by the name of a store.

I did this real quick for the north side of Boston and came up with Cambridgeside Galleria in Cambridge. It is very close to downtown, the Green Line is just a block away (two stops to North Station), and it has Macys, Sears, Best Buy, KB Toys, and others. They also have underground parking where you could leave the car for the day and you could return for more when you pick up your car after work. Check it out at http://www.cambridgesidegalleria.com/

(Can you tell I am a transportation planner by profession?)

GottaDealers - I'm really sad about this. I just started a new job last week and you can imagine how upset I was when I found out that I'm not elligible to take a day off for 3 months! 3 MONTHS! So no BF, no Christmas Eve (which means no hosting Christmas Eve), no day after Christmas and I better not get sick between now and January 20. It makes me so sad every time I look at these boards that I'm going to be stuck working.

Get some good deals for me this year! I'm going to be in the malls in December. Isn't that what we try to avoid???

Well as bad a missing BF is, latley the news is FILLED with talks of layoffs, so maybe it is better knowing you are secure in employment, being a new hire, than be Bf shopping and out of a job the week of christmas, know what I mean?

Here's another idea how you could get some pre-work shopping in:

Instead of doing your usual commute, drive to a location with good stores closer to downtown Boston, shop, park your car in a suitable location there (with any purchases well hidden) and take a shorter train or subway trip in from there. You can find stores in any area by going to Google, view a map of the area, and search by the name of a store.

I did this real quick for the north side of Boston and came up with Cambridgeside Galleria in Cambridge. It is very close to downtown, the Green Line is just a block away (two stops to North Station), and it has Macys, Sears, Best Buy, KB Toys, and others. They also have underground parking where you could leave the car for the day and you could return for more when you pick up your car after work. Check it out at http://www.cambridgesidegalleria.com/

(Can you tell I am a transportation planner by profession?)

You are amazing! Why didn't I think of that???

You guys are right, I am lucky to have this new job. Just before I left my last job, they annouced a forced 8.5 day furlough where employees would be forced to use vacation time for the week of Thanksgiving and the week of Christmas, but I didn't have 8.5 vacation days left. I would have been without one week's pay at Christmas (the worst possible time ever). I'd rather give up BF (or change venues) than go without pay.

Its not the end of the world, I couldn't go last year but I got some good on-line deals on thanksgiving last year and stayed up late for some more and had it all shipped to work so that way no one could catch it at home. I missed a few things but oh well; some people can't afford electronics as gifts every year. I look at it this way getting something is better than getting nothing and i'm ahead this year I already have a few people finished.

the only thing I buy on BF are things I know thta are good deals and if I don't need them then I don't get them. I usually do pretty good with bargains and sales. The only reason I'll be in line on BF looking for electronics deals and if I can gte em on line isntead then I get to sleep in yahoo.

Good luck.

CC

Because I wont be going out this year or at least camping out I might go just in town for small things. This will be the first time in over 5 yrs I have not camped out. We are going on 4 trips in the next year , Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans and Vegas:D and are saving every last penny for trips. Kids are getting basically clothes for christmas since we are travelling on Christmas and dont want to bring a bunch of stuff . They might get a video game a piece but that is about it.. They had a huge christmas last year and they all want to see the grandparents this year in Dallas and all said they will have a small xmas to see them since we have to stay in a hotel and will need 2 rooms so the room alone will be 900.00 :( . Then who knows what gas prices will be at xmas .. So I know I will be going through withdraws on Black Fri morning. I might sneak out and get a few things but I will be not camping out this year because I wont be getting big ticket items and it wont be the same :(

Hotel rooms?

When we visit a large city where close to a grand is going to be spent on hotel rooms we check or have the intended folks we are going to visit check and see if any one wants to make seven hundred dollars for renting out a pair of rooms or an apartment for a few days.

What also works is checking if there is a small city/suburb closeby where someone has an un-used duplex and wants to rent it for a few days to make seven hundred dollars rent.

Leaving you with two hundred dollars or a bit more to use for those black friday cravings.

just trying to help.